The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After Top Young In-Demand Striker

4:22 pm, Sunday, July 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 66 Comments

Newcastle have been linked with young Sheffield United striker Che Adams a few times this summer and now there’s news in the Sun that the Leicester-born versatile forward, who has only just turned 20 this month, is a top target of  Magpies’ manager Rafa Benitez.

Papiss Cisse has left the club this summer for China and he needs to be replaced, although Newcastle do have Aleksandar Mitrovic, Dwight Gayle, Ayoze Perez and 19 year-old local lad and England U-19 International Adam Armstrong as potential strikers for this season.

che adams

Che Adams – 20 year-old Sheffield United striker

But with the transfer market only going to get more expensive as time goes on, Rafa is trying to pick up some top young talent who have vast potential for the future while also plugging some holes in the Newcastle squad.

Adams came through the Youth Academy at Coventry and then moved to Ilkeston in 2013 for one year before joining Sheffield United in November, 2014, with a bevy of clubs from higher divisions at the time trying to sign the then 18 year-old.

In December of 2014 he made his professional debut for the Blades in a 1–0 home victory in the League Cup over Southampton.

Adams didn’t do much in his first season at the Blades – 3 goals in 13 appearances – but last season  he scored 12 goals in 40 appearances for the League One club.

So far he has 53 appearances with 15 goals and 5 assists for Sheffield United.

Che has played a couple of times for the England U-20 side and as well as being able to play up front as a striker he can play on either wing too.

He has a lots of pace and his former manager Kevin Wilson at Ilkeston described Adams as follows:

“He has pace in abundance and really powerful too and his biggest asset is that knack of changing games in the blink of an eye”

Just what we need.

What do you think?

66 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:27 PM

who’s killed the blog?

• 2 beermonkey // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM

jail

its not dead yet

• 3 Ron Knee // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM

It’s the Phoney War, Jail.

• 4 WWSBRD // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Not hugely rated by their fans from what I’ve read on him but who knows why

Him, Henry and Mawson all young hungry English players though

• 5 GAZ09 // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Sign him up, this kid is quality!

• 6 SUTTY1978 // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:45 PM

So he’s a poor man’s Adam Armstrong then? 12 in 40 in league one doesn’t sound that good. At the same time would prefer him in the squad over a Goofy or a Rivière.

• 7 manxpie // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:46 PM

good goals ratio plus looks built like a tank plus ashley’s dream of having the potential to increase his price for re-sale, swap him for vuckic and a bit of money
    their fans it will just be sour grapes i reckon

• 8 manxpie // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:47 PM

i thought he was an att mid not a striker?

• 9 Ron Knee // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Well done, Chris Froome.

• 10 ShirebrookToon // Jul 24, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Sign him up this lad has got bags of potential

• 11 lesh // Jul 24, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Jail

Don’t you worry about who’s killed the blog. Erdoghan’s on the case and they’ll be rounded up along with the Turkish forces and academics!

• 12 SuperShearer // Jul 24, 2016 at 5:29 PM

This is exactly the kind of signing we should be making. Young, British, huge potential and a season the Championship. Under Rafa he could thrive while still not being under the limelight of The Premiership. People saying he will hinder Arma aren’t looking at the bigger picture – why can’t they play together?

• 13 jazzyp // Jul 24, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Why will this affect Arma when he can play as an attacking midfield role ??

• 14 martoon // Jul 24, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Hi Guys – I’m planning to collate predictions like I did before last season. Don’t give me them yet but I just thought I’d ask whether people have any suggestions for tweaking it. Last year we predicted:
    Final League Position (I think I can guess most people’s 🙂 )
    Final number of points
    League Cup round reached
    FA Cup round reached
    1st Team Signings
    1st Team Leaving
    Top Goal Scorer
    Number of goals for TGS

I’m thinking maybe to drop the 1st team signings & leaving and maybe replace with something else – any ideas anybody or should I just leave it as is???

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Top of the league
    121 points
    League cup winners.
    FA cup winners.
    Dwight Gayle 37 goals.

• 16 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Yep get this lad in and also the young left back we have been linked with !

• 17 bettyswallocks // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Jail……… What are you drinking?

• 18 lochinvar // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Wasn’t there talk of a significant name signing to add to the team for next seasons or did I hear that wrong?

Che Adams – get him in and we have a core of young guns that could be exciting to watch ..

• 19 mindcompressor // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:46 PM

i know other player who scored a lot of goals in L1 – name: adam armstrong. if we want to give adams place in first squad, arma should get his chances first, imo 🙂

• 20 martoon // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Thank-you Jail – very constructive 🙂

• 21 Rotonda heights // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:47 PM

please don’t tempt fate, count chickens or any other cliche going !!!!

• 22 worthing magpiee // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:49 PM

With rafa still in charge the championship is the best thing thats happend to this great club, a new start, get rid of of no one that dont want to be here,and players that join want to get us back to were we belong.. this is the most ive been excited about going into a season since are old mate mikey has been head at the helm.

• 23 Munster Mag // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Martoon can you launch this closer to kick off?

• 24 martoon // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I was thinking players leaving is a bit subjective – do you count Marveau & Obertan?? Maybe replace with player of the season?? but I’m open to ideas.

• 25 martoon // Jul 24, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Munster – Yes I plan to do it the week before the Fulham game but I’m just looking for ideas to ‘tweak’ the categories?

• 26 toonincheek // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Why no mention of Ivan Toney?
    What’s up with him?

• 27 welshgeordie9 // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:12 PM

martoon

Don’t know if you like this idea but how about score prediction who ever gets the most right over season wins blogger of the season, was going to say something like something similar to dream team but don’t think that’s going to work, what you came up with last season was good fun for everyone so might as well do something different.

• 28 SUTTY1978 // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Martoon, how about “players with most assists” & “goals from set pieces”. The second category would have been pretty easy if Pardew were still here

• 29 WWSBRD // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:43 PM

martoon
    Who won the last one?

As for suggestions i’d say ur over complicating it

• 30 bettyswallocks // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Jail being somewhat premature :-

.https://farm1.staticflickr.com/172/430628884_09f75e34a5_z.jpg?zz=1

• 31 Blofal // Jul 24, 2016 at 7:58 PM

This Yasin El-Mhani kid we have is a freak with his skills. If Rafa can teach him composure and positional awareness we are on a future superstar. Just google any YouTube video. But start with this nutmeg…

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Swallocks,
    Only joking about the cups, I think we’ll only win the FA one, but I honestly believe we’ll get an insane amount of points, maybe not the record as there’s some canny teams this time round, I think Gayle will be the top scorer as well, I don’t know if the bookies have given him odds yer.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:06 PM

They have, he’s 10/1 Perez on 25’s. I’m having a ton on that. Barry Fry reckons he’s putting a few quid on as well.

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Aye martoon,
    League position, points cups and top scorer is enough. SUTTY has gone well overboard.

• 35 so-far-king-quick // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM

seen reports saying we could offer then arma on loan to sweeten the deal. what would be the point in that??? just give arma nows the time for him to step up surely

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:32 PM

My money’s just gone on Dwight Gayle top scorer.

• 37 Yo-yo // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM

SFKQ

Then we’d have both players under contract – but Arma would have more time to develop. Even a loan til January would be a useful sweetener.

I just get the Rafa thing as being players know he’s a great coach and will improve them. He seems to spend a lot of time on the psychological aspects of managing players.
    Even after a dozen games or so – why did anybody ever think Tufty was the answer ?

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM

sfkq,
    Wiki has him as an attacking midfielder. Sign him up. He might be better than Wijnaldum 😀

• 39 WWSBRD // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:41 PM

JfA
    Gayle is most likely but I reckon Mitro might get a lot of goals slower league will suit him and there will be more crosses coming in with worse defenders to clear

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:43 PM

yo-yo,
    Only Jib, catchy and Lee Churnley thought that the hapless tuft was the answer.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:45 PM

WW…,
    He’s 16’s but Barry Fry’s money is going on Gayle and he knows more about football than me 😀

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM

WW…,
    When was the last time we had two strikers that bagged 20 goals each in a season?

• 43 jimmysmith // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:52 PM

I think Perez and Mitrovic will get the most gametime, and both will bag mid to high twenties, and Gayle around twenty. Mitrovic to lead the line, often alone, and takes the pens. We’ll pick up a few more of them this term, courtesy of the more, shall we say, agricultural defenders they’ll be up against, and because we’ll be spending more time in and around the opponents box. Anyway, that’s three top young strikers we’ve got, and importantly, they seem to stay fit.

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:52 PM

David Kelly 28 and Gavin Peacock 18 nearly done it!

• 45 WWSBRD // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM

JfA
    Just 2 strikers bagging 20 mate? What about Perez, Armstrong and Rivi haha

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Jimmy,
    I think Gayle will get the most game time as he has Championship experience and 10M hasn’t been spent for him to warm the bench, I think Mitro will be the bench warmer as he matures, he’s the most likely game changer as well.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:58 PM

I would like to see a good AM brought in. I’m not sure about De Jong and Sissy is probably off. Someone to link up play in case Gru doesn’t do the job either. As many have said LB is still a question mark as well.

• 48 SUTTY1978 // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:58 PM

They only want £2M for him, not sure why there would be a requirement for a sweetener.. You’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you think he is going to be better than Wijnaldum! One is a full international who was captain of his club at 22 and won Eredivisie player of the year 12 months ago, the other is a lad that was playing for Ilkeston town 3 years ago and has only scored a handful of goals in the third tier. There’s a reason why he’s £2m and Wijnaldum was £25m

• 49 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Don’t forget we have Luca Biscotti, our new utility forward as well… 😯

• 50 martoon // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Welsh @27 – To be honest that would be too much effort to administer it but if you have the time feel free to organise it.
    SUTTY1978 @28 Aye most assists is a canny idea.
    WWSBRD @29 The winner last season was Jack who was closest and he predicted 15th with 39 points with Wynaldum top goal scorer with 9 goals. Also I’m not trying to complicate things just tweak a couple of categories to something more relevant.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM

WW…,
    I think it must have been before my time as I can’t remember, Beardsley/Cole netted 55 goals but 41 were from Cole.

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Some words of wisdom from wor Rafa:
    G2: Senor Benitez we’re all very excited about the upcoming season. How do you see the squad shaping up so far?
    Rafa: well G2 that’s a much better question from you. I see us gaining in depth at crucial poseetions. I see us coming together very nicely.
    G2: And do you anticipate bringing in any more players?
    Rafa: you can never say never G2. I always have my eyes open for a good player or two (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
    G2: Excellent el supremo. Can you tell us anything else to get us going?
    Rafa: we’ll have to wait and see, won’t we G2 mate (chortling to himself at this point). You can call me Rafa again for the time being.
    G2: Ta and all the best!

• 53 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Some very exciting comments there from wor Rafa!

• 54 WWSBRD // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:09 PM

martoon
    Ah decent I know I was far too optimistic with my guesses…though I was dead on with Saylor

That’s cool mate it’s ur game haha

• 55 WWSBRD // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM

JfA
    I will hold my hands up and say I have no idea but this coming season we might see better than it

I reckon Ritchie will get a lot aswell

• 56 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM

What about some kind of best defender of the season category martoon mate? Goalies separate of course. WE need a measure of how our defense is doing. Nothing too statty mind! Harrumph…..

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Anybody?????
    Last time we had two twenty goal strikers.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:18 PM

WW…,
    80 seems to be the average for promoted clubs but a Ritchie inspired Bmouth managed 100+ a couple of years ago, that would be seriously nice.

• 59 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Milburn and Mitchell both had more than 20 in the 1954-1955 season Jail mate.

• 60 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Milburn had 21 and Mitchell had 23 mate.

• 61 SUTTY1978 // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Jail, must be Shearer & Sir Les I would guess

• 62 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Then in 1955-56 Keeble had 29 and Milburn had 21.

• 63 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:25 PM

In 96-97 Shearer had 28 and Ferdinand had 21.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM

I think the 60 by Keeble and Milburn was the highest by 2 strikers in one season unless it goes way back.

• 65 GeordieTwo // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:30 PM

1926-1927 39 by Gallacher and 23 by McDonald. Not too shabby. 62 between them.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jul 24, 2016 at 9:33 PM