The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Face Competition In Bid To Sign Playmaker

8:28 am, Monday, July 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Newcastle have once again been linked with 23 year-old Tottenham attacking midfield star Alex Pritchard and he is also wanted by Championship club Leeds United.

The Mirror are reporting that Swansea are moving in with an £8M offer for the young playmaker, who was told earlier this summer that he can leave the London club.

alex pritchard england

Alex Pritchard – Newcastle linked again

The Mirror are reporting that Newcastle and Leeds want a loan deal for Alex, but we’d be surprised if that’s what Rafa Benitez really wants.

The Newcastle manager wants to buy good young players permanently, so he can then develop them at Newcastle and we get the benefit from that.

Why take a player on loan, make him into a better player and then he leaves next May so if he did come on loan there would have to be an offer to buy him next May?

Buying 21 year-old defensive midfielder Issac Hayden from Arsenal rather than taking him on loan was a good example of what Rafa is trying to do and Spurs want to sell Pritchard this summer in any case.

Pritchard has played in the Championship twice in his career, first of all when he was on loan at Peterborough for half a season in early 2013 – and then when he was on loan at Brentford in the 2014-2015 season when he played 45 league games and scored 12 goals.

The 9 times capped England U-21 International was on loan from January at West Brom, but didn’t have a particularly good time of it and only played 3 times.

Alex also had a loan spell at Swindon in 2014 and his contract at Spurs has three years to run.

But he looks a very good player in the making and it’s Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez who can make him into that very good player.

We think he would be a good buy for us.

What do you think?

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:31 AM

Spurs certainly know how to overvalue a player don’t they! £8m, no ta

• 2 WWSBRD // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:33 AM

SUTTY
    Could say the same about us

• 3 martoon // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:42 AM

I can’t remember Pritchard at WBA but I guess Tony Pulis’s style of play did not suit him. Like Sutty says the price seems quite high for a Spurs reject!

• 4 SUTTY1978 // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:43 AM

WW, yes and no. We certainly do know how to inflate prices for talented players but the ones who we know will never be good enough we either let go for free or for nominal fees. £8m for a player who has done a reasonable job out on loan at a few lower league clubs is crazy. It’s not like he’s that young either at 23

• 5 Jib // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:44 AM

I don’t feel anything is being rammed down our throats – Rafa was asked about Sissoko and gave as informative answer as he could.

Townsend had a release clause – he activated it – Wijnaldum had a high price placed on him – it was met.Nothing has been done in an underhand way.
    It’s the way business is done in the football world – Juventus must have been amazed when the Paul Pogba “get lost” price tag was met.

• 6 WWSBRD // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:52 AM

SUTTY
    23 is pretty young mate and the price reflects the market, 8 mill for a young English u21s player trained at a quality set up isn’t bad

• 7 Spoof // Jul 25, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Who said it was underhand, certainly not me but I’ve lost count how many times I’ve came across the comment.

Is this Pritchard physical enough for the Championship, I can’t say that I remember the lad so I myself don’t know anything about him but I have heard it said that he struggled with the physical side of the game in the PL and if that’s true then I doubt that he would be any good for us, either now or in the future if we get back up.

• 8 SUTTY1978 // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:00 AM

WW, we balked at £4m for Deli Ali, who was younger and obviously had bags more talent. I’m happy for someone else to pay £8m for him but seems crazy to me! Bear in mind he couldn’t even get one start at West Brom last year. If you were spending £8m on a 23 year old you would want them to be able to make some sort of immediate impact.

• 9 Spoof // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM

martoon

I said exactly the same about the fee we paid Spurs for another one of their rejects but I got that totally wrong as Townsend was good for us, and £8m now is not a lot.

• 10 WWSBRD // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:04 AM

SUTTY
    Did we? From what I heard we were haggling over it (ready to meet it if we had too) and Spurs sealed it while we were messing around. Newcastle thought they had him signed up

As for judging this lad at West Brom hard to do when the manager was Pulis. 8 mill is nothing in today’s market, anything under 8 figures is these days

• 11 Spoof // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Was Pritchard not injured for most of last season, could that not be the reason why he didn’t feature that much ?

• 12 Slank // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:14 AM

SUTTY & WWSBRD

Deli Ali only ever wanted to play for a north London team. This is common knowledge especially in the south.

If there was haggling (negotiations) it was because Deli Ali didn’t want to come to Newcastle.

The version from the North East was that we missed out. The version from North London was we were never in it.

• 13 martoon // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Spoof – I don’t think you can compare this lad to Townsend. When we bought him Townsend was in the doldrums at Spurs but previously had excelled for them and England so he obviously had the ability whereas this lad what has he done?

• 14 Jib // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:23 AM

I heard an ad on the car radio for a new programme on Channel 4 which caught my interest – so I sent them loads of videos of the wife.
    Channel 4 sent me a nice e-mail back explaining it was in fact a quiz programe called “Fact Hunt”

• 15 funlovingexpress // Jul 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Signing this lad would probably cost in excess of £10 million. Thats a ridiculous amount considering we only got around 13 million for townsend.

Pay the extra 5 million and get a proven player like Allen.

• 16 AndyMac // Jul 25, 2016 at 9:10 PM

This is the same club who played hardball with MK Dons to steal Dele Alli away for £5m plus ridiculously structured add ons which work in their favour.

IMO Pritchard will rot in their reserves if they insist on £8m.

previous post: Rafa Again Lays Down The Law For Wantaway Newcastle Players