The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Striker Pledges Allegiance To Newcastle And Fans

8:21 am, Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic was simply delighted to sign on at Newcastle last summer and join the club of his idol – Alan Shearer.

Mitro had a patchy time of it in his first season in England, but still managed to score 9 goals in the Premier League and showed what an excellent player he can become with the right guidance from a  great manager like Rafa Benitez.

Aleksander Mitrovic Rafa Benitez Hands On Shoulders

A great shot of Rafa Benitez and Aleksandar Mitrovic
Now listen son – you got kicked in the head – you are unconscious

And while some players wanted to leave the club just as quickly as they could once Newcastle were relegated in May, Mitro was one of the first players to come and say he was going nowhere and would help Newcastle get straight back to the Premier League.

Fans will remember that commitment.

Mitro is also a recent father of son Luka – little Mitro – and he is now really settled at Newcastle with his partner Kristina – he  just loves the place.

Mitro (the big one) has given an exclusive interview with the Chronicle today – this is some of what the striker has said:

“I feel like I am at home. It is a nice city, the people are nice and it’s a big club.” “The fans are just brilliant. I honestly feel like I am just back in my home country.”

“The fans here are very special and the people here want to talk to you in the city about the team and football. That’s their passion.”

“We need to keep the bond good between the fans and the club this season.” “It is an amazing feeling at the moment to be a player.”

“It is why I signed here, and the reason I want to be a footballer.” “I enjoy every day in training and each game I play.”

“I hope to give back a lot of the love from the fans with goals.” “We have a good relationship and I hope that continues this season.”

“I want us to get promoted and for everybody to enjoy it as a group, the fans and players.”

That sounds like a pledge of allegiance to Newcastle and to the fans.

Aleksandar will miss the first four matches of the new season after a late challenge on Kyle Walker in the final game of the season against Spurs got him sent off.

That was his second sending off during last season – the other one was at home to Arsenal early on –  so it’s a four match ban for the young striker, who we have to remember is still only 21.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Championship · Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:23 AM

No mention of the amazing pay he gets from us? Still got it all to prove imo.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Lilongwe,
    There is a difference between constructive criticism and constant nit picking. So there you have it, Munster has been on his case since the Leicester game, a game we’d probably have lost 6-0 had Rafa not stepped in, yet he tries out Sissoko on the left and we lose 1-0. We’d have maybe win it if he’d only played him on the right. OR if our misfiring woefully short of confidence strikers had of put their chances away.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Jail,
    There is, that is true, but I’m sure some people would argue you at one stage nitpicked over anything Ashley did. It’s all about opinions. I think Rafa is a great appointment, I don’t blame him for relegation, and I think we should get promoted at the first time of asking. But I also think that people are going over the top in their praise of him, and in their willingness to hand over complete control to him.

• 4 cyprus // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Lil
    Thanks for expressing what I meant to say. I definitely don’t intend to start the season looking for mistakes, on anyone’s part, from Rafa down to any blogger.

Or bitter arguments. Disagreements, yes.

I’ll call it like I see it, however, and won’t be swayed by any wave.

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Rafa is light years ahead of the other two we had in charge.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Anyway, I’m off now. Got a scouting trip to go on, watching a 13 year old left winger today. Have a good one.

• 7 cyprus // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Jail,
    I mentioned the ten games because that’s the usual milestone for judging a new coach. Let’s forget last season, it doesn’t count.

For you I’ll make it 15 or 20 if you wish 🙂

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM

Cyprus,
    No worries. I found it odd you came in for the criticism you did after what seemed a fairly standard view to take of a manager.

I’m sure normal service will soon resume and we will be arguing over the merits of a player!

• 9 hibbitt // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM

lets just make it the season and see where we are LOL

• 10 cyprus // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:47 AM

🙂

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Lilongwe,
    I didn’t start criticising Ashley after his first game as owner though.

• 12 martoon // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM

I think it’s unfair judging Rafa on last season because when he came in the club was in a complete mess on & off the field. He is slowly but surely sorting things out and hopefully this will reflect in our play on the field.
    I think Rafa is the best manager we’ve had since Sir Bobby however I’m not naïve enough to realise that he’s not perfect. I seem to remember a few strange team selections at Liverpool and I’m not a fan of zonal marking which he seems to love. Overall though I’ve every confidence he can get promotion and even win a cup in, maybe, a few years time 🙂

• 13 Jib // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM

If you get the chance watch the 2nd leg of the final of the Copa Libertadores in particular the 21 year old striker of the Ecuadorian minnows Independiente de Valle – Jose Angulo.
    His performanc has caught the interest of Sparky Hughes at Stoke and a few European clubs.
    He is mentored by a certain Faustino Asprilla and his agent is the Italian attorney Luca Vittorini who dealt with Rafa at Napoli.

He is expectd to go to Italy.

If Rafa could persuade this kid to start in the Chanmpionship what a coup !

• 14 martoon // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Incidentally I think I might frame the previous blog – Jib defending Jail is not something you see often 😀

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Cyprus,
    Of course he can be criticised if we’re floundering mid table halfway through the season or if like Mclaren and Pardew he hasn’t won a game ten games in. But he hasn’t started yet. We all should be over the moon he has came in and looks to actually be rescuing the club. Just that from day one it looks as though you and Munster have been wanting him to fail.

• 16 Spoof // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM

LG

Perhaps some of the adulation for Rafa is over the top, but there willingness to give him total control has got to be for the better as the alternative would almost certainly be Graham Carr and surely that is a road which we want to avoid.

For the first time in Rafa’s managerial career he has total control, it’s now up to him and quite rightly the majority of the fans are feeling optimistic, I certainly am and I don’t believe that others should feel any different.

This feels very much like it did during KK’s first summer here after he saved us from the drop, who’s to say that Rafa won’t bring a similar type of success, for years we’ve been telling Mike Ashley what this club could achieve if he would only give it a chance, he is now doing that and we should embrace it with our heart and soul.

Admittedly a bit more quality in the attacking midfield area wouldn’t come a miss, but who’s to say it won’t.

• 17 Jib // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM

If you extrapolate Rafa’s last 5 gams of last season over the full season – we would have pipped Arsenal to 2nd place with 73 points and had a goal diff of +66

• 18 Spoof // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:03 AM

martoon

I saw that and I did have to take a double take, but well done Jib and Jail, how does it feel to have a new best friend lol

• 19 cyprus // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Jail
    You definitely misunderstood me. That would mean I wanted relegation or even to lose any game. I don’t work that way, I hope you know.
    I’d love for him and my team to succeed. I guess I have to spell it out.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Cyprus,
    Disclaimer:
    I’m not saying that you have wanted him to fail, it just looks like it.

• 21 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:08 AM

32Ian Toon // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Sissoko hasn’t fulfilled expectations fuelled by his home debut against Chelsea. Many football fans view him as having a poor touch and a lack of heart- I thought he looked much improved and arguably our mom v Leicester. He showed back in 2013 that he was capable of barnstorming runs and an ability to make runs from deep positions. Though I don’t think we’ve really ever worked out where to play him. He’s played mainly out on the wing or as an attacking central midfielder without looking entirely at home. Benitez has change in mind for Sissoko and it looked to me that he had bought into it.

At Toulouse Sissoko was mainly used as a defensive midfielder. In the absence of Tiote, with Colback at LB, Anita has not made that position his. I would like to see Shelvey in a more advanced position where his range of passing will be more effective. Step forward Moussa.
    Sissoko could be the answer , where his power will be an asset but problems with his technique wouldn’t matter quite so much. By playing a single holding midfielder instead of two we would also have the option of either playing both Wijnaldum and de Jong in their preferred central attacking midfield slot, or just one of them and a second striker. This does not have to be our starting position but would evolve depending on the state of the game.
    Benitez will be looking for positives and at SJP to be more adventurous when the need arises.

• 22 jimmysmith // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I don’t think he has carte blanche at all. He’s certainly not in control of the finances, as I understand it. Ashley is, and always has been. He’s in charge of the football side, not at all unlike Wenger, Ferguson or Mourinho. It’s not an unusual arrangement by any means.

• 23 martoon // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Jib @17 – I think that shows you can prove anything you want with stats if you select the right sample. I suspect if you took the Spurs game out things would not look quite so rosy or if you extrapolated Rafa’s first few games we may still have got relegated!

• 24 Spoof // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Ian Toon

Slight problem, Gini has been sold.

• 25 Jib // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Could someone whisper in Ian’s sparking plug (we don’t want to alarm him by shouting) Wijnaldum now resides in the North West of England

• 26 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Not a lot of difference marauding has replaced barnstorming. I am not being wise after the event and I still believe Benitez viewed Sissoko as the one player he didn’t want to lose.

• 27 Slank // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Cyprus @ 7

I think Rafa should only be judged at the end of the season.

We have seen from previous years that not all the teams that eventually get promoted are the ones that are sitting in the top six after 10, 15 or even 20 games.

• 28 Spoof // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Ian, bring your sparking plug here, I’ve got some breaking news for you lol

• 29 Jib // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Martoon
    Exactly my point
    British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics”

• 30 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Jib – It was from the archives and just after Benitez’s first game in charge.

• 31 Spoof // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Ian@26

I was saying exactly that yesterday!

• 32 jimmysmith // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Yeah I thought he had wanted to keep all three, but will have trouble holding onto Sissoko, and so the sale of Widjnaldum did seem a little odd, as he was the one he could most realistically have kept and apparently didn’t need to sell. I suppose he came to the view that he wasn’t sufficiently up for it.

• 33 jimmysmith // Jul 26, 2016 at 9:40 AM

You might then quite plausibly think, that Rafa has not given up on Sissoko at all.

previous post: Player Issues Rallying Cry – Put Things Right At Newcastle