Manager Bemoans Newcastle’s Persistence To Sign Grant Hanley

You never want to lose one of your best players and it was understandable that new Blackburn (and former Burnley, Bolton and Wigan) manager Owen Coyle, did not want to lose Grant Hanley, who was also the captain of Rovers.

But Grant wanted to join Newcastle and Rafa Benitez – in what the Magpies manager calls his exciting new project at the club – also called the Rafa Revolution or more simply the Rafalution.

Once Newcastle kept coming back, the Blackburn owners finally agreed to sell their star for around £5.5M, after bids of £3.5M and £4.5M were summarily turned down.

grant hanley newcastel strip

Grant Hanley – hopefully he will be smiling soon?
🙂

We are still surprised we got Grant so cheaply given his experience in the Championship – and that he can still improve a lot under Benitez, but there are probably some add-ons to that initial £5.5M fee.

Owen Coyle has today talked in the Lancashire Telegraph about his losing battle to keep Grant at the former Premier League Champions:

“It’s like anything else – we all know that Grant’s a very good player and I said that we certainly didn’t want to lose any of those players.”

“Newcastle were very persistent and kept coming back with offer after offer, and Grant told us that he wanted to go, that he wanted that move to Newcastle.”

“As a manager, you want players who want to be at your club.”

“He’s been here as a kid and he’s been a very good servant to the club, and equally, Blackburn Rovers have been very good to Grant Hanley.”

“That’s with giving him his chance and looking after him with contracts through the years.”

“So that’s the point it got to. It came to the offer they made and it was accepted by the owners and that’s where we are.”

It had been reported that Grant was keen to sign for Newcastle, but you never really know whether those reports are really accurate.

But it does seem Grant was keen to sign on, so he also acted professionally while still at Blackburn – that’s good for him and shows good character and professionalism.

With Jamaal Lascelles looking better in every game and likely to be Newcastle’s new (young) captain for the coming season, Grant will likely fight it out with Chancel Mbemba for the other center-back spot.

We now have three very good young center-backs at Newcastle and it will be surprising if Chancel cannot get his game this season, after he did so well last term after his £11M move from Anderlecht last summer.

But there are a lot of games in the coming Championship season, so all three center-backs will get more than enough playing time.

Rafa wanted competition for places at Newcastle and he’s starting to get that.

And finally, it’s great to have Grant at the club.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM

ToonRich,
    Iheanacho is well out of our reach. He was looking for close to £200,000 a week in his new contract according to a few sources, which would have still left him down the lower end of the pay scale for City’s first team. I read somewhere his demands would make him the second lowest paid of those that made 10 or more appearances last season.

I recommended him a few times in pieces I wrote around 2 years ago now. He looked a class act in youth football. I’d have loved it had we made any move for him, but I can’t imagine the club had even heard of him until City signed him.

City work closely with Right to Dream of Ghana (who our under 18’s drew 3-3 with yesterday in the old Milk Cup) and they act as scouts in that region for them. They set up the trial with City, once RtD spoke with him, there was never any real doubt he would end up anywhere but City

• ToonRich

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Wow, didnt realise he was after that much! Thats ridiculous @ his age!!

I still think Balotelli would do a job for us, but doubt he’d drop a league…although he seems quite happy training with the L’pool reserves! Imagine Mitro and Mario in the same team haha!!

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM

YCMIU

A couple of threads ago re: Mourinho

The year he won the CL with Porto, they beat Monaco in the final and that year, most of the yop teams under performed leading to an extremely surprising final.

I watched a program recently listing the so called 49 players he has mentioned bringjng through from the various academies.

You would be hard pushed to find 3 who have actually gone on and made a decent careerj for ghrmselves and one kf those would be Santon.

Hardly a glowing indictment.

If he signs Pogba and having already got Ibrahimovic and the lads from Dortmund and Brnfica, he is ONCE AGAIN buying a team.

I honestly think they will fail to win the PL under this bloke.

I wonder how he would cope in Rafa’s current situation?

To be honest, he wouldnt have the “balls” to try.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:20 AM

We are certain to lose those players..

We are in dire need of a “star” signing/s 🙁

We need a bit of pace and magic….Why don’t we look to South America for example etc.

• martoon

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM

How does Owen Coyle think we feel with offers coming in for all our best players i.e. Wynaldum, Townsend & Sissoko – my heart bleeds for him. I’ve never liked him since I had him in my first Fantasy Football team and he was pants 🙂

• ToonRich

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:24 AM

If Thauvin leaves that will be us needing 2 wingers at minimum? Who would you like?

I see Pritchard is left footed, could he be used as the left winger of a 3 behind the striker?

I’d much prefer an out an out winger, with pace and creativity though!

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Gorgonzola

Good point about South America but there maybe issues regarding visas etc.

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:30 AM

TOONRICH

Would you pay 9 million pounds for a 23 year old reserve player who failed to impress during a loan spell at WBA last season?

I certainly would not

• ToonRich

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Gorgonzola, lets just use Gini/Sisokko money and bid for Barbosa? 🙂 *daydreamin*

• ToonRich

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:35 AM

expatmag @8,

No way…thats why I asked who else people would like to see us after! I dnt mind going for the younger highly rated first teamers like charlie taylor and Henry…but as you tightly pointed out AP is a reserve player at best in a PL side, I’d hope we’d aim slightly higher…get us excited with someone with a bit of ‘wow factor’. I dont expect a £30m signing, but lets show some intent if possible!

• Veltmann

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM

I don’t give flyers who we lose.I have had enough after Wijnaldum!!

• Slank

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM

martoon

‘..How does Owen Coyle think we feel with offers coming in for all our best players, Wynaldum, Townsend & Sissoko..’

Given the overwhelming sentiments by so many on this blog I would say we are pretty pleased !

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Can’t believe NUFC are interested in Che Adams, as reported on SSN. He looked average when I saw him play at u21s at Bramall Lane. We need some quality additions and the clock is ticking.

• geordie157

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM

We’ll probably take pritchard on loan for the season with an option to buy.

Given the fact thauvin hasn’t started a pre season game, would guess that Rafa wants to move him on.

I hope we don’t go for Tom Ince, he was poor last season.

Must be a young Spanish winger rafa can go and sign….vadillo maybe?

• Veltmann

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Ha ha ha Sissoko is heading to Real Madrid.
    Oh dear oh dear oh oh why did you do that? 😀
    Boom jrrm jrrm boom jrrm jrrm boom boom..

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:38 AM

TOONRICH

Unfortunately, quality players are hard to attract at he best of times and near damn impissible when in the cgampionship.

• expatmag

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Impossible

• robertsleftfoot

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM

In terms of signing players, Robertson at Hull would be possible, decent fee to Hull whos owner just wants the money and he wont be on huge wages so we should be able to compete. Also think this lad could improve and be a premier league player.

Midfield is a worry as it appears we are going to lose a couple more players yet. Will Hughes seems to have recovered from his cruciate injury quite well and think he could progress into a player. In terms of wingers we need a couple of quick and direct lads who can put a shift in. Aarons threatens to be this direct, quick winger but hasnt had enough game time and still seems to be living off his Man City goal.

I think we are covered up front as Rafa will only play one up top anyway so we have Mitro, Perez, Armstrong, Gayle and probably Riviere.

• Veltmann

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM

And Pritchard is coming.There are certain people who rate him.Let’s hope he comes good.
    Boom Jrrm jrrm boom jrrm jrrm boom boom.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Blackas,
    How the devil are you welcome back!

• hibbitt

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM

‘LAZIO AGREE THAUVIN DEAL’

Lazio have reached an agreement with Newcastle for winger Florian Thauvin, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

The report suggests the deal will be a permanent move with Lazio paying 12m euros to the Championship club.

• cyprus

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Sissoko to Real, HBA to Barcelona? Man those teams don’t know what they’re doing we’re laughing all the way to the bank…

• cyprus

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Anyway forget those.

Now, Rafa, sign us a star player, man.

• cyprus

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Expat
    There’s a secret formula to signing star players, coaches etc when you are a second tier team. It’s called money.

• Bobbybee

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM

I just can’t see Perez being happy sitting on anybody’s bench – even Barcelona’s – when he’s clearly a big part of Rafa’s plans for the future. We don’t need 15m quid and Perez has repeatedly insisted he wants to stay. It might happen – anything might happen – but the lad appears more than happy where he is.
    Not sure what Pritchard has done to warrant a price tag that high either. I’d sooner see us make Brighton an offer they can’t refuse for Anthony Knockeart, who’s one of the better wingers in his league.
    This is exactly what Rafa was talking about at the start of his new contract, when he said we simply can’t replace like for like whilst in the Championship. This is where he relies on superior coaching methods. Let’s not forget, those outgoing sent us down anyway. The only one I’ll miss really is Andros, because the others had stopped caring a while ago. He’s not finished buying yet so the squad’s not complete. He might have a couple of aces up his sleeve yet.

• Veltmann

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Smelt usual suspects about to come..
    That’s it.Enjoyed the moment for the day.

Boom Jrrm jrrm boom jrrm jrrm boom
    Boom
    Jrrm
    Jrrm
    Boom
    Jrrm
    Boom

• ToonRich

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Robertson of Hull is a great call for LB, sure he could also cover the wing if needed. I’d say he’s already of EPL quality, and with international experience which doesnt go a miss.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Fine Jail, thanks. How are you?

I’ve switched off from football for so long now, I can’t remember if I was pro or anti Ashley. Haha. I’m almost in the mood to give everyone at NUFC a clean slate.

• jimmysmith

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM

If Madrid and Barcelona come calling they are off, and rightly so, huge opportunities for both players if it’s true, and even if we got 50 mill in return, in our situation, I doubt we’d be getting the better end of the deal

• Bobbybee

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Toonrich, with Hull being in such turmoil right now, this would be the right time to strike for Robertson. Quality LB and nobody at Hull knows their future atm. It’s a cruel world, but their owner only has himself to blame for the situation. Smash and grab whilst their eye is off the ball.

• martoon

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I think we are starting to see what it means to be in the Championship. Impossible to keep your star players if the big clubs come calling and also difficult to attract quality players.
    I am starting to become worried now as our squad seems to be shrinking quite rapidly but hopefully the Rafa factor will attract some decent players.

• Our Toon

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:39 PM

To belittle Mourinho’s achievement in management is hilarious, if it a about how much Mourinho spends then where does that leave fergie?

He did it at 1 club and let’s not forget he bought the league title every year by breaking record transfer fees year after year. He would have stayed on if Man utd were still the biggest force in the market but he knew that was slipping away.

As for bringing players through, did fergie bring through the players at man utd or was it the youth coaches? Either way since they had that incredible influx it failed to materialise again. Even selling pogba as he decided cleverly was a better option.

Mourinho love him or hate him has won the league in almost all the big countries and won the CL the same amount of times as fergie, he will surpass him and become one of the greats…..a fraud he is not as much as I think he’s an arrogant tw@t

• Our Toon

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Martoon

You and me both mate, don’t worry though because Rafa is in charge…..seriously underwhelming window so far, squad is not as good and less in numbers for a longer campaign

• Bobbybee

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Jimmy, Perez has already turned them down once at least. Rafa won’t sell him, he’s under contract until doomsday. Rafa didn’t rate Gini. Had no choice wih Townsend. Will we really miss Tiote and Cisse? Or Thauvin? He might have to sell Sissoko, but we all know 35m is a steal for us. I don’t think we’ve lost one player we can’t live without. I think he’ll keep Perez simply because the kid’s happy here.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:42 PM

In my opinion, the outgoings aren’t a surprise.

I also am finding it hard to be downbeat about it. So far, of those who have left, it’s only Townsend that I consider a big loss. Perez would be added to that list, but I don’t see that one happening at this stage.

I know Sissoko and Wijnaldum split opinion, but clearly neither wanted to be here. We’ve got good value for them, so I think it makes sense. We need players who want to be here and are up for the fight ahead.

We certainly do need to make up numbers with some decent quality though. Offloading is only half of the issue.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Bids for Tiote & Thauvin rejected by#NUFC

• Siremre5

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Newcastle have knocked back a bid from Al Jazira Club for Cheick Tiote. Sky sources

• ToonRich

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM

“Forward aware club have made contact, would be ‘delighted’ if Newcastle agree to move”…not a headline I wanted to read. I guess it’s a wait an see situation! I for one hope Ayoze stays put.

• martoon

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Bobby & Ibiza – I understand we couldn’t keep the players you mention but I think we need replacements or our squad is going to be too thin for a sustained challenge for the title.

• Bobbybee

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Is it any wonder nobody believes the press? The Tiote deal was done and dusted according to the hacks yesterday! 😉