The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Knock Back Bids For Two Players – Not High Enough

3:41 pm, Thursday, July 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

Newcastle are keeping to their word and have knocked back bids for both Florian Thauvin and Cheick Tiote, because they do not meet the valuations Newcastle have of those players.

The bids were expected and were from Lazio for Florian and and Al Jazira for Cheick.

florian thauvinCheick+Tiote+Newcastle+United+v+Manchester+f9zMPxpDzRol

Bids turned down for Florian Thauvin and Cheick Tiote

Rafa has said a few times that Newcastle will only sell players when it’s for the benefit of the club and it seems  they will only sell players they want to keep when they get huge offers for them.

What do you think?

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Florian Thauvin · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM

I’ll spare the repost
    BandB IN!
    Not Blackas though!

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Can’t see the point in selling Tiote unless they have a better player lined up.

• 3 Spoof // Jul 28, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Jail

You say that Sissoko and Gini let us down, I totally agree, but why are we so optimistic for this coming season, quite simply its due to Rafa because we witnessed first hand just how much he can improve the side.

I wanted Gini and Sissoko to stay not because of what they did for us last season but because of what Rafa could get from them, if your happy to get rid of them due to last season then by rights you should also want rid of Tiote, Elliot, Darlow, Dummett, Lascellas, Mbemba, Colback, Anita, Shelvey, Aarons, Perez and Mitrovic because they were also dreadful before Rafa, perhaps the keepers and Lascellas could be excuses as he didn’t feature, but do you want rid of all of that lot, probably not and the chances are the reason why you don’t want rid of them is because you feel that Rafa could get a lot more out of them and they could be really good for us, well you know what, I feel exactly like that about Sissoko and Gini, so why is that so wrong !

• 4 Rotonda heights // Jul 28, 2016 at 4:19 PM

expat mag

I think a mobile dustbin could replace taylor and manage more game time.

as for obertan . . . . . . . . .

• 5 Rotonda heights // Jul 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM

spoof

wijni was largely dropped under rafa

• 6 Spoof // Jul 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Rotonda

He was dropped for two matches only and came on as a sub in both of them, but he started every other game, so I wouldn’t say that he was largely dropped under Rafa.

• 7 Average_Contents // Jul 28, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Tell em to come back with a bag of dry roasted and some quavers and he’s theirs.

The invisible Frenchman. Didn’t want to be here in the first place so get shot.

In fact I’d take a chomp.

• 8 ToonRich // Jul 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Would be good to know what the bids were that they have rejected?!

• 9 Bobbybee // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Manure signed Pogba for £91m just now. Mental prices.
    Rafa has had a good look at what he’s got and has decided, with his wealth of knowledge, that those he’s sold/selling he cannot trust to put in the graft and commitment to get us back up. This is a huge gamble he’s taking by sticking with us and he has my admiration for taking us on. He has said from the very start that we can’t replace like for like with us being relegated and nobody should expect him to. There’s reasons he’s sold who he has. Gini got dropped under him so he clearly didn’t rate him and him wanting to be away made his mind up. £25m was good business. Sissoko will probably go, but not without Rafa getting max returns on him. HUGE profit. Really, we know nothing of what’s going on behind the scenes, but Rafa must have his reasons for selling who he has/will. Even without those still to come in, I still think we’ll go up. Everybody there wants to be there and play for Rafa. We’ve lost some quality players, but quality without commitment is no good to any of us. This is where trust in Rafa gets tested. Trust in his choices and trust in his ability to bring the best out of what he’s got. Rafa knows he’s got one chance to get this right and therefore he needs to believe in those players he sends out. Clearly he doesn’t trust those he’s selling enough to gamble his future on. I respect his decision and understand it. He knows who he wants. Jitters are understandable right now, but right now I’m trusting his judgement. Once he’s seen how we go early doors, he might just spend again before the window shuts.

• 10 cyprus // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM

The Frenchman’s so highly valued by us, we never played him. Hope they’ll buy it 🙂

• 11 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Sky sports are getting just as bad at peddling shite as the rest of them. They said this morning a fee had been agreed of 12m euros

• 12 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM

For Thauvin!

• 13 Oldgit1 // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Qappears we were only offered 750,000 for Tiote, they are taking the piss.. Yes offer the player 4m per season but not willing to pay the club what’s he worth. Rather keep him for the remaining 11 months of his contract I’m sure he will do well in the championship. Once promoted he can go on a free.

• 14 Bobbybee // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Spoof, I honestly see exactly where you’re coming from, and surely Rafa could’ve got so much more out of Gini, Sissoko etc – but only if they wanted to be there. Sissoko is one big sulk at the best of times and these ain’t the best of times! He talks to these players on a daily basis and he knows exactly how much they want out. They must’ve made it clear enough for him to want rid. It makes no sense to sell your allegedly better players, unless you’re certain it’s for the best. At least this way we get a boatload of cash and a happy changing room.

• 15 Bobbybee // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Oldgit1, you’re bang on mate. Let his contract run down and then he can sort his own deal out next season. He’ll be better off that way and I’d like to keep him for the fight ahead. Next season there’d be no transfer fee, he can have it all himself. Everybody wins in the long run.

• 16 WWSBRD // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Id quite happily not see either of these two leave. Thuavin didnt get anything of a chance (and we are light in that position) and Tiote is still a very important player within the squad (I dont think we have another who plays his game in the squad atm)

We dont need the money and the restrictions in the Championship in regards to squad size etc are different arent they?

• 17 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Rafa offered Taylor another year and Taylor knocked it back. We’ve lost Taylor and Collocini, who we might have kept for a year, and brought in only Hanley on a long deal. If we could have gotten a better player I suppose we would have, but we are a Championship club. Obertan hasn’t been replaced, and would have been useful in the Championship. Ritchie has come in for Townsend. Gayle for Cisse. Gayle for Doumbia, and we kept Cisse would have strengthened us, but that hasn’t happened. Players want to leave, asking prices are met, that’s football, but the players coming don’t appear to be better and they are being given long contracts. That’s the reality of our relegation as far as I can tell, and we are probably gonna lose a couple more before it’s over, and again the replacements most likely aren’t going to be better, will be on long deals and none of this will help us particularly when we go back up. It’s the way it is, we’re relegated, and it’s not great. We do have Rafa though, and the squad will still be strong, by Championship standards. But it’s much easier to upgrade a player whose been released, rather than sell an average player on a long contract and decent money and also get a better replacement. To my mind had we been able to hold onto last seasons group, and added Gamez, we’d be better off for this season, and better placed to reshape for next, but that was always going to be a tough ask.

• 18 lochinvar // Jul 28, 2016 at 5:46 PM

A fit and suitably fired up Tiote in the Championship could be worth something against some less experienced opposition players who will back off him due to his physical approach and Prem experience – that creates space which our other player around him can then exploit…..
    I think we should keep him – a sort of Nolanesque presence

• 19 Mag52 // Jul 28, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Spoof,

I don’t think you can equate Wini and Sissoko.
    Wini left the club with a huge amount of dignity knowing his worth, and never agitating for a move.
    Sissoko, on the other hand, has made it perfectly obvious that he wanted a move almost from the time he joined us.
    His performances in Euro 2016 show what he is capable of if only his heart were in it.
    Unfortunately his heart is rarely in it when he puts on a black and white shirt. Get rid !

• 20 Rotonda heights // Jul 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM

spoof

we can split hairs on wijni but personally 25m for a guy who never played away (unlike colo, i’ll get my coat)
    seems good business to me.

• 21 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Is it true the Al Jazira bid for Tiote was 750K? A bit of a cheeky back hander if it was. Especially if the quotes of his wages (3-4M a year) are true. I should think we’ll want 4-5M for him won’t we?

• 22 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 6:24 PM

The rumours around Perez sound like complete bollocks to me. A 15M pound bid for him from one of the Spanish giants? He hasn’t been so impressive that they would throw that amount of cash at us. I think he’s a fine young player with a lot of potential but I just don’t believe those rumours are true.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Very good comments jimmysmith @17. It was always going to be impossible to hang on to all our supposedly top players. But were they? How did we end up being relegated if they were so good? I think Ritchie will be good enough for the Prem, as will Gamez, Hanley, and Gayle. We know Mitro can cut it, as can Mbemba, Perez and Lascelles. We have very good keepers. It’s the core of a decent Prem squad with Rafa at the helm. Will it win the Prem? No, not even close but we could do well in domestic cups and finish mid table when we get back there. After that it would take much more spending and Rafa to remain with us for at least 4 or 5 more seasons.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Thauvin looked weak and uninspired to me in the little playing time he had last season. I’m all right with him leaving if we get good money for him. Then Rafa can go for another decent player who actually wants to be with us. I’m not so keen on letting Tiote go. He can still be a force in the middle of the park as an attack destroyer. No more joke offers for him Al Jazira please. If you can’t be serious put your brother Fred Jazira in charge of making reasonable offers. Harrumph…..

• 25 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Tioti can add some steel to our team, but 1 thing about him that drives me nuts, is he doesn’t release the ball when the pass is on. He holds on to it to long.

• 26 BoyNUFC // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM

An agent has tweeted a pic of St James’ Park. Possible new signing??? Here’s the link to the story…

• 27 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM

The squad won’t be as strong this year round in the championship, but when we go back to the premier league, I can see benitez signing a new top players with the 100 million or what ever it is we get for entering the premier league.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM

That looks like a big load of bollocks as well BoyNUFC. What ground is that supposed to be. Nonsense.

• 29 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Fernando Forestieri. Never heard of him. Also, the article seems like guess work wrapped in estimation and served on a conjecture plate

• 30 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:26 PM

BoyNUFC

snap!!

• 31 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:28 PM

G2

I agree with you,mate. It’s likely to be nonsensical horse poo of epic proportions

• 32 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM

That Fernando lad reminds me a lot of Phil Gristle.

• 33 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Absolutely YCMIU mate. We know horse poo when we step in it! Harrumph…..

• 34 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM

G2

Really? I actually thought the name sounded more like something you would call a Belgian Midget Striker

• 35 Sir Eric // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Forestieri is decent. Was one of Shef Wed’s best players, I think he even scored the goal of the season. Quite inconsistent though.

I’d be surprised if Wed sold him to us seeing as they only just barely missed out on promotion themselves last season

• 36 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM

I think we should sign Kempton Legwarmer Jr from the San Jose Chamberpots.

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:42 PM

No, he’s already been snapped up YCMIU mate. It’s definitely going to be Antonio Biscotti from the Argentine club Las Bollocks del Toro.

• 38 welshgeordie9 // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Read a book the other day.

Aches and pains by arthritis.

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM

You clearly know my history of getting all the top stories about incoming players YCMIU mate. Biscotti and Gristle are going to be class mate. I wouldn’t even sniff at this Forestieri lad. Harrumph!

• 40 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Ahhhhh! It’s welshie back! No! Those jokes are like garlic to a vampire welshie! And don’t open the curtains and expose me to the sunlight of more jokes either!

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:48 PM

I mean, where are you people getting your footy information? Clearly not from me…. Forestieri. Unbelievable…..

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Jul 28, 2016 at 7:52 PM

GeordieTwo

You could say that joke was painfull.

Ha ha ha

• 43 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:05 PM

You’re going to finish me off with those puns aren’t you welshie? Have some mercy. I mean I already have to deal with Jib……

• 44 welshgeordie9 // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:13 PM

A blonde, who had just dyed her hair, went to the hospital because her whole body hurt. She told the doctor that where ever she touched herself it would hurt. The doctor told her to demonstrate. She touched her nose and it hurt. She touched her stomach and it hurt. The doctor asked her if she was a blonde and she said yes. “Look Here Lady, your finger is broken!”

Ha ha ha

• 45 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Ahhhh! Feeling weak now….. Black spots in my vision. Tremendous pain….. It’s got to be the jokes…..They’re my kryptonite. I’m sure of it now…….

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Spoof,
    From much earlier (on Sissoko and Wijnaldum)
    Not saying you’re wrong at all. It is a matter of opinion and it really has split opinion. If either of them had come out and said they’d love to stay and put wrongs right then I’d be more than happy but they didn’t. Poor Wijnaldum was too distraught to talk about his future after suffering a relegation he had a major part in causing and Sissoko was the first to tell us he wasn’t going to hang about. Had Stuart Pearce, who has openly praised Mike Ashley’s disastrous stewardship had been appointed I’d be desperately worried about our future. But he hasn’t, Rafa Benitez is in charge and he came here holding all the cards, if he felt that the right decision was to offload certain players then I’m more than happy with what he’s going with.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Very nice one there Jail mate. Yes, we have to have faith in Rafa. We do have a decent squad and we’ll be near or at the top all season.

• 48 posada // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:18 PM

750K does not go with 4 Million a year. Looks like they simply want to unsettle the player.
    If Toite wants the move and the wage then why not buy out his own contract.
    He is already a multi millionaire.
    2.5 Million would do it.
    Three parties need to be happy before business is done.
    More if you include the agents.

previous post: Manager Bemoans Newcastle’s Persistence To Sign Grant Hanley