The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Still Wants To Strengthen These Positions

8:20 pm, Thursday, July 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 84 Comments

Rafa Benitez told Southend manager Phil Brown on Tuesday night that he still hoped to sign four or five players this summer to go with the six good players he has already brought into Newcastle.

And that in a way has been backed up by the Telegraph, which is reporting there are  four positions Rafa still wants to strengthen this summer.

conor coady wolves

23 year-old Wolves central midfielder Conor Coady

They are striker, winger, central midfielder and a left-back and there are 34 days left in this transfer market for Newcastle to do that, but Rafa would like to bring them in just as soon as possible.

After the game on Tuesday night the manager said we were close to a few signings, but nothing has since materialized and only one new player has emerged that we may be after – 23 year-old defensive midfielder Conor Cody of Wolves.

We have been linked with Che Adams, Peter Crouch, Ross McCormack, Daryl Murphy, Alex Pritchard and Conor Coady.

Cheick Tiote and Florian Thauvin will probably be leaving this summer, which is why a central midfielder and winger may be wanted.

But Newcastle have turned down bids for them today, according to Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie, because the bids did not reach Newcastle’s valuation of them.

So there is still a lot going on with transfers both in and out of Newcastle, in what is one of the busiest transfer markets in years.

We should have probably expected this, as Rafa Benitez is completely overhauling the club from top to bottom and doing that with the squad in this summer’s transfer window.

Sounds good to us.

Comment welcome.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

84 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Lots of time left in the window. Probably 2 or 3 more leaving but a lot of cash to come in.

• 2 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM

rather not sign is one

• 3 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:36 PM

• 4 magicmac // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:37 PM

I think we will need at least another 5 players, as there will possibly be 4 to 5 players leaving before the end of the window, i really hope we dont lose to many more of our best players to be honest, otherwise we might find it quite hard to get promotted this season, i have great faith in Raffa, but he has also gone on record as saying he wants to keep most of his best players. HWTL.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM

I’m not sure why we would want Conor Coady anyway? He’s a defensive midfielder. Even if we lose Tiote we have the new lad Hayden, and Saivet, and Colback and Anita. We have far bigger needs than this lad.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Much more interested in the incoming, Townsend, Wijnaldum and Cisse should leave us with money to spare. Can only think that Tiote has wanted away as well for them to be listening to offers.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM

What does Soviet do though.

• 8 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Well was Saivet ever given enough of a chance under McMuffin? I don’t think so. I just haven’t seen enough of him to know whether he’ll be useful. It seems certain Tiote will leave but it won’t be a huge fee. The big fish is Sissoko. That’s where the rest of the big spending money will come from. With it we should get a good LB and an AM at the minimum. Then possibly we can let De Jong go.

• 9 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Saivet can play as an AM can’t he?

• 10 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:02 PM

I think Saivet is thought of as a central defensive mid Shirebrook mate. He’s only had 4 appearances with us last season. He’s a bit small (5’9″) for that position I would think. A bit like Anita but Anita gets down the wing nicely from RB or RW. I just think Saivet needs some playing time to decide about him.

• 11 cyprus // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Why did this not cheap prospect get so little chance?

• 12 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:07 PM

G2 I agree. we haven’t seen enough of saivet to really cast judgement on him. I would maybe try him in a more forward role as he has pace. Or would be ideal as part of a midfield 3 if we were to adopt 433 at any time

• 13 Oldgit1 // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Sorry to disagree G2 but I think it’s important for Delong to stay, I can see when fit, if fit he could be our hero, we need an old head and his midfield duties will help the much younger players top and steady the ship so to speak.
    He has a lot to prove,in any case we wouldn’t get much for him if he was transferred. So I would give hi me to Xmas and see how it goes.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

It’s a good question Cyprus mate. Four appearances for 4.5 M pounds. A little expensive like many of our ridiculous purchases last year. Thauvin has struggled but looks a bit of a wimp to me. Wijnaldum let us down big time, as did Sissoko. And Shelvey just seemed to fall apart after that first brilliant game at home.

• 15 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

So he started out in a more forward role before adopting the deep lying position

• 16 Belfast // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Fernando Forresteri would be a great signing for this division, although I’d be very surprised if Wednesday sold him.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Good comments oldgit1 mate. It’s definitely worth considering carefully. But he has to stay fit for a few months or it’s just a waste of time. As for a 3 man midfield with Saivet in it, it’s puzzling because he hasn’t played enough in the preseason either has he? Possibly he’s training poorly and Rafa just doesn’t trust him?

• 18 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:12 PM

He was Wednesday’s stand out player last season. I’d have him at the drop of a hat

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:13 PM

It was a most ridiculous decision to bring in an untested Ligue one player in to the club for a PL relegation experienced Tiote whilst in the middle of a relegation battle, had we have had 40 points on the board and it didn’t matter if we lost the next 19 games as the PL and Season Ticket money was already in the bag then I can totally understand why they’d take such a fool hardy risk.

• 20 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Possibly Belfast mate. He can be used as a striker or AMF. At 26 he should be in his prime. He had 15 in 36 for Wednesday last season. Before that 17 in 66 matches for Watford over 2 seasons.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:15 PM

I thought De Jong went back to Germany then to Holland where he’s doing OK now?

• 22 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Possibly we’ll bring Forestieri in then. It makes sense to me as it’s just an unknown whether or not De Jong can stay fit.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Which brother are you talking about Jail mate? We’re talking about Siem surely?

• 24 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Conor Coady. Seen him two or three times at Huddersfield. Didn’t stand out at all. Distinctly average.

• 25 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:19 PM

De Jong would thrive in the championship. Just a matter of if he can stay fit and get a good run of games under his belt

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Oh, I forgot about that one G2, yes him, what does that one do again, the other one was told there was no blasters allowed inside the 18 yard box or outside of it.

• 27 Belfast // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Nah can’t see it. They just signed his old mate Abdi from Watford tonight. Would have been a decent signing for us imo.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Well, I’m off to trim the fescue. Say hi to beermonkey if you see him on here lads.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:22 PM

The other De Jong was saving his powerful shots for another league Jail mate. His wet paper bag dribblers were enough for us. As for Siem I just can’t believe he can’t get fit and make an impact. What on earth is going on? And after I offered him all my best cheese remedies yesterday. Harrumph!

• 30 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Hope there’s a stream for the game this weekend

• 31 carl // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Shirebrook/ Belfast
    Foresteiri class act but has a reputation as a diver. Wed’s. Best player is Tom Lees CB

• 32 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Jese Rodriguez is available for loan as Zee Zee has told him to find first team football elsewhere. Chance would be a fine thing

• 33 JamesToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Cameron Borthwick Jackson (left back), Andreas Perriera (attacking mid), Adnan Januzaj (winger/attacking mid) and James Wilson (striker) all up for sale by man united, would have all 4 in a heartbeat

• 34 JamesToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Would take both forrestieri and Jesé Rodriguez as well

• 35 carl // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Am I right or am I right?

• 36 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Perriera and januzai I would defo take as both can play on the wing aswell as through the middle

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Not many ex Man U players have pulled up trees in English football. Phill Neville done ok in a top ten team, can’t think of many more. Man U have just paid 91M for an Ex Man U player as well 😮

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:35 PM

More evidence of a split personality!

• 39 Belfast // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Aye he does dive Carl but I think he was wrongly punished a few times last season due to that to be fair.

• 40 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Pogbas agent cashing in on a nice 20m euros in fees aswell the greedy barsteward!!

• 41 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Well West Ham looked shite. Sam Byram was prob there best player tonight even though they lost

• 42 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:42 PM

We’re going to need around 26 wins and some draws to get back up. To dominate the division 30 wins should do it. That would be an incredible season. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.

• 43 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:43 PM

I would love us to go unbeaten all season G2 mate so you better get the cheese ready to keep the lads in tip top condition 🙂

• 44 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:47 PM

I seen a few comments on Henri saviet, & alot of people not rating him because he’s hardly played a game. In truth I reckon saviet is an under rated player. Very versatile, decent leadership skills, not great, but he’s ment to be a tidy player. His former club was gutted when he left, I reckon he can do a job for us.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:48 PM

I’m just cutting the cheese right now Shirebrook mate…. (Hee hee)

• 46 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM

If injuries crop up to our MF we may see him get his chance Shadow mate. Possibly that’s why he’s being kept on.

• 47 JamesToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Left back: Charlie Taylor/Rico Henry/B-Jackson

Attacking mid: Pritchard/Hughes/Januzaj

Winger: Moses/Fraser

Keep hold of Tiote reject all bids from al jazira

• 48 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Give the lad (saivet) a chance I say. You never no what might happen.

• 49 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM

I’d add Hendrick to that list JT

• 50 GeordieTwo // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Rafa will know who to trust now. He’ll put a good group out there against Fulham. I like starting against them although I would prefer at home.

• 51 ShirebrookToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Hopefully we’ll see what our starting 11 will be for the championship is this Saturday at st James’

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Not that many of us watch French football on here, there are a few but not that many. For all we know he might be decent, he was brought in by a system that meant because Tiote was nearly out of contract he had to go. Who knows whether “board member/head coach) Steve Mclaren had any say in the matter, by the amount of times he played him it would suggest not. I did watch him play in that game against West Ham where we looked brilliant yet just seemed to cling on for the win after he’d been brought on mind.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Whatever happened to Niafron, was he just an HBA fan?

• 54 Bowjaw // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:10 PM

I can’t see any big surprises with players leaving now. If thauvin does leave it makes little difference to the squad because he was hardly in it last season, I could say the same about mr t as well. Sissoko is gone but Perez won’t leave. So for me we need a proven championship striker, somehow sign a good attacking midfielder and a left back. Hopefully very soon as well

• 55 geordie157 // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:11 PM

LB – Charlie Taylor, Rico Henry, Matt Targett, Luke Garbutt

WG – Brady, Moses, Dallas

CM – Hendrick, Lansbury

AM – Pritchard

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Somebody made a good point earlier about how Marveaux and Obertootoroon did not need replacing. They didn’t, they never actually played over the last couple of years. If you had a useless ugly looking ornament on your mantlepiece that broke two years ago and you didn’t miss it at all, why would you replace it. However, if because of an empty space on the mantlepiece you need a right winger then by all means get a new one.

• 57 Moonraker15 // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Haha lmfao! I bet Fergie’s fuming that Mourinho’s been allowed to buy back Pogba for 90 odd million when they gave him away as a youngster.

• 58 JamesToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Do we really need another CM? Maybe yes I suppose if Saivet leaves

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Fergie must have given some kind of thumbs up, I think he has a lot of say there.

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM

What do you mean, if Tiote and Saivet leave?

• 61 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:00 PM

I was actually hoping to see more of Saivet last season. He seemed decent on the ball, sharp and useful acceleration if I remember correctly. Striding out of midfield he seemed more than competent – maybe stemming from the fact he has played in attacking positions.

As has been said already on here, I think Rafa seemed to just play the tried and tested players initially.

Has he been in many of the pre-season games? I can’t recall his name being mentioned much during the games. We need a lot of players so he could be useful.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM

I take it you never watched his debut then?

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:15 PM

I’ve read all the match reports from NUFC. com and his name doesn’t stand out mind.

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Featured in all games, started one, came on for Shlvey once and Mbemba twice? So he’s gone from a AM/RW to a DM/CB what’s next?
    PB’s GK

• 65 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Yeah, I watched it. Seemed a bit nervous if I remember. Can’t remember much. I like to see the players over a number of games to see what they can do. Quickness and comfort doing certain things etc. That’s why I wanted to see more of him to see what he was like. If Rafa isn’t confident with him, I’m fine with that.

• 66 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Worrying that he’s dropped back in positions, but I remember it being said that he liked a solid tackle, so maybe it’s not so worrying. Maybe they’ve just naturally progressed him to what he’s been good at during games.

Still, we’ll see how he gets on if he stays.

• 67 Bobbybee // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Zaha at Palace has been told he won’t get a new contract. Canny creative.

• 68 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:33 PM

I think he’s a very capable player is Zaha. I’m just not sure he’s capable of composure rather than bombing forward and hoping something opens up for him.

Surprised he’s not staying at Palace, although they do have Townsend now.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM

If after ten games in charge Rafa had of thought we were beyond help he wouldn’t have taken us on. We love him and he loves us. Perfecto!

• 70 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Yeah, love Rafa. A real manager. The difference is night and day.

• 71 JamesToon // Jul 28, 2016 at 11:48 PM

We defo need an attacking mid, however I’d say we’d only need a creative/box to box mid like Hughes/Hendrick if Saivet leaves. Tiote hopefully will stay so we won’t have to replace him

• 72 Bowjaw // Jul 29, 2016 at 12:03 AM

I get where your coming from, for too many seasons our squad has been overloaded with average/poor midfielders and they just kept on coming. At least now I feel as if the squad will have decent balance and dare I say a solid defence to build a strong team upon

• 73 lesh // Jul 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM

You’re right about ex ManU players but now they have Mourinho installed and he’s his own man who likes to bring in his own players. So, I don’t read too much into his clear out.

• 74 lesh // Jul 29, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Given recent attacks in France, we’ve just got to hope Niafron’ just taking a sabbatical.

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM

I’ve read a lot of Sharpe novels. I’d hate to be French!

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 12:29 AM

BandB IN!

• 77 jimmysmith // Jul 29, 2016 at 12:32 AM

You want to get players who can be useful, or at least saleable or coming off contract at the end of the year when we are hopefully planning for the very different task of an epl campaign. I don’t think that is proving easy, and I suspect the club is a little surprised by how much business they are having to do.

• 78 lesh // Jul 29, 2016 at 2:45 AM

After a couple of gins, I’ve got me thick head on. What’s having read a lot of [Tom?] Sharpe’s books got to do with things French?

• 79 expatmag // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:41 AM

So would the french

• 80 Veltmann // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:54 AM

lesh – how do you think Mourinho will fare at mu?
    He gave bizarre comments regarding Giggs few weeks back.I enjoy listening most of his interviews and like his personality.But sometimes he is a tosser!!

• 81 Veltmann // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:23 AM

Sigh! am i mixed it again..?

• 82 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:52 AM

Agent reckons TOON are in talks to sign Sheffield Wednesday’s Fernando Forestieri. Scored 15-goals in last season’s Championship season which saw Wednesday reach the Play-Off Final.

• 83 geordieboy83 // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:17 AM

Lots of talk down here in local papers that we have had a bid for knock avert turned down, but general feeling is it is a matter of time until we get him

• 84 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:49 AM

GB83, is that anthony knockeart from brighton? I think he could be the missing link. How strong is the rumour? That really would make my day.

previous post: Newcastle Knock Back Bids For Two Players – Not High Enough