The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Player Is Key To Magpies In Both Form And Attitude

8:04 am, Thursday, July 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Vurnon Anita has had a very good season and has played in a number of different positions for Newcastle in the last few weeks and that includes both full-back positions and in central midfield.

When he scored Newcastle’s first goal at Southend United on Tuesday night he was playing in right midfield.

Vurnon won the ball and in an instant had rifled the ball into the top far corner of the net with what was a magnificent strike that put Newcastle on the road to another win – this time 2-0 on the south coast.

vurnon anita goal southend

Vurnon Anita – after scoring at Southend

One question with Vurnon is where will Rafa Benitez play him in the coming season – maybe he will be one of the holding midfielders?

The 27-year-old has struggled in his four years at the club, but he’s now coming into his own under Rafa and he’s popular with supporters.

That’s because this lad has  a fantastic attitude, always willing to help the club and wants to stay to help Newcastle get back to where we should be – in the Premier League.

Vurnon has been interviewed today in the local press and this is what he has said:

“I feel like it is in me to play in multiple positions, and that enables me to be able to fill in where I can and do my best to try to help the team.”

“I was able to do that with a goal at Southend, and I also think I produced a good performance. It is up to me now to keep on going and help the team, and show everybody what I can do.”

“We all know the Championship is a difficult league with a lot of matches, so it is important to have people in the squad who can fill in a number of different positions.”

“I think I am one of those people, and hopefully that will help.” “I haven’t played in goal yet, but maybe if I have to play in goal, I will do that too!”

“I have always felt comfortable in lots of different roles, and hopefully the manager knows that wherever he asks me to play, I will always do my best and give my all.”

“I want to show everybody what I can do.”

“It was another good result and performance at Southend, and that’s good for the team and for our confidence as well,” said Anita.

“But we are still not there yet. We have one more game to go, and hopefully we will finish this pre-season well because that will help us to start the real competition strongly.

“It always helps to be winning matches. It is good for building team spirit and making sure you are playing with confidence.”

“Through this pre-season, we have grown as a team and now we are stronger than we were.”

“But there are still a lot of things we have to improve, and we will be working hard on the training ground to try to improve that. I am sure we can still get a lot better than we are.”

“There is a very positive mood at the moment, and we just have to make sure that lasts.”

“It is good for the team at the moment to have everybody behind us. That gives us a boost to go into the league, and hopefully we will be able to make a strong start and scare everybody a bit.”

“We want to do our best and show everybody what we can do.” “If we do that, then we know we can win the league.”

Newcastle will entertain Vitesse Arnhem at St James’s Park on Saturday afternoon in our last friendly game after three wins and a draw.

ClubLocationDate and KickoffResult
Tuesday, 26th July
7:45pm
Won 2-0
SBV Vitesse St. James ParkSaturday, 30th July
3:00 pm
Won 3-2

Then we start the Championship season a week tomorrow at Fulham and it will be a good test and important that we try to get a win to get our season off to a good start.

Tags: Coaching · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Other News · Pre-season · Vurnon Anita

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:08 AM

The key to success is having players of Wijnaldum’s talent with Anita’s attitude.

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Anita – Class act –
    Elliott and Anita my two stand out/most consistent players last season.

Got a feeling we will sign someone in the next 48 hours
    Don’t know who !???!!!

• 3 Slank // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM

REPOST

lochinvar

Apart from the three players you mentioned (Townsend, Gini and Sissoko) of the others that have since departed many had hardly, if at all, played in the first team last season. Of the others they nearly all had lengthy spells on the treatment table.

In my opinion we have so far only lost 3 players (inc Sissoko) who would possibly have been starters under Rafa had they stayed. Some of the others that have left would probably have only been bench warmers.

It remains to be seen whether the new recruits can fill the void. I hope so. My betting is that Hayden will be the surprise package and Gayle the biggest disappointment.

• 4 OneAlanShearer // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:13 AM

He is definitely a good utility player for right back and dm but he should not be first choice. I still want to see a dm brought in who is big and strong on the ball, can tackle and a good range of passing. Tiote on top form bUt better passer of a ball.

We also need a top quality striker, winger, attacking midfielder and a left back. Then for me we are covered. I think rafa covers every possible base so the quoted 4 or 5 players sounds right to me.

• 5 Slank // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Charlie

I would add Lascelles even though he only played in the second half of the season. In attitude he ticks all the boxes and is a worthy captain.

• 6 HarriboNo9 // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Perez off to barcalona?

• 7 Very Terry // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:38 AM

Soccer Sauce are saying Alex Pritchard “is expected to travel to Newcastle this week to seal (his) move”

• 8 jimmysmith // Jul 28, 2016 at 8:48 AM

LGFUAD21, I don’t want to lose Tiote, I think he’s one of our better players. I simply point out that in Colback, Hayden, Anita and Saivet, we have the bodies in the squad to play two or one DM’s. I’m not suggesting they are, or aren’t good enough, just that we are covered should Tiote go. My argument really is just that, as we are we have sufficient depth and balance. Quality? Probably, but considering Boro have bought ten, I wonder about the wisdom of radical change to the squad while we face a Championship campaign, knowing we’ll need to upgrade in a years time.

• 9 chuck // Jul 28, 2016 at 9:02 AM

This is not about Anita, who is an average squad player, who is lucky to have a role @NUFC and has little choice but to appear co-operative.
    But about some of the criticism directed at Sissoko, who is possibly our best signing since Shearer.
    I don’t understand the claim he dissappeared in some games and is inconsistent, I guess some might have him confused with Wijnaldum as that description has more reality.
    I have yet to see Sissoko put in a poor performance, he covered more ground than anyone in the side, dropping back and carrying the ball upfield ghosting past defenders and laid on more opportunities than anyone in the side.
    I believe it’s a case of sour grapes being the guy certainly doesn’t want to spend a year of what’s a short career, playing in the perspiration league and I certainly can’t find fault with that.
    So lighten up and be thankfully that he played for Newcastle and in turn will bring an enormous profit that can be well spent.
    If you disagree then how do you explain that his value is estimated @ ten million higher than Wijnaldum’s and sides like RM and Man.u. Are showing interest.
    So let the guy go and wish him luck, he has been a good servant too the club, though for the most part playing for two clown managers.

previous post: Newcastle Expecting Mammoth Bid For Moussa Sissoko