The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Agent Arrives On Tyneside To Close Deal For Newcastle Player

2:39 pm, Friday, July 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 172 Comments

There’s news today from Italy that Florian Thauvin’s agent Fabrizio Ferrari has arrived in Newcastle in a bid to close a deal to have his client move to Italian club Lazio, hopefully by the end of this coming weekend.

Newcastle turned down an offer from Lazio only yesterday and it now would appear there is heightened activity to try to reach an agreement with Newcastle on the transfer of the 23 year-old French winger.

matt rihchie florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin in training

Marseille and Lazio seem the only two clubs interested in Florian and it seems both clubs are trying to close  a loan deal with an option to buy.

When Lazio’s interest first materialized at the beginning of July this is some of what Ferrari said at the time:

“I do have a rapport with Lazio director Igli Tare.”

“He did not enjoy Newcastle and would be better off in Italy , France or Spain.”

“He’s a valuable player and when a big club like Lazio arrives, it is only normal he is flattered by their interest.”

“But for now there are no negotiations.”

But Lazio have since entered into negotiations for Thauvin and financial terms with the player have already been agreed by the Italian club.

There are different accounts  of what the financials are of the proposed loan deal for Florian.

The Chronicle are reporting today that Lazio are offering  a one-year loan, with a loan fee of £1M going to Newcastle, and the transfer for £9M will be triggered if he plays a certain number of games.

The terms reported in Italy in the last couple of days were that the loan fee was 2M (£1.67M) and the transfer fee was 11M (£9.2M) – so they are fairly close.

This was the same kind of deal arranged last summer for Remy Cabella that had the Frenchman move permanently to Marseille this summer for around £7.5M with Newcastle also getting a loan fee – probably for £1M.

The Chronicle are also reporting that both Lazio and Marseille  are offering the above loan deal with an option to buy.

But Newcastle would still be losing anywhere from £2M to £3M on the above deal, which is why they are  probably keen to at least break even on Thauvin.

Reports in Italy suggest the deal could even be wrapped up by the end of the weekend.

As we mentioned this morning, Florian could prefer a move back to Marseille, his former club, but maybe the wages offered by Lazio are higher than those offered by the French club?

Since agents usually get paid a percentage of the deal,  it’s small wonder if Ferrari is recommending a move to Lazio – and Florian gets higher wages too.

Tags: Contracts · Financials · Florian Thauvin · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Transfer News and Rumours

172 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 29, 2016 at 2:43 PM

So replace Thauvin with Knockhaert? Sounds a good deal to me!!

Pritchard in as well hopefully so that would give us:

Richie, Aarons , Pritchard and Knockhaert as wide options !!

Still need another striker and a creative central midfielder as well

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 29, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Hes a bit more like Mahrez/Arfa than Cabella/Thauvin

Would love us to sign him ! Guessing he wasn’t on Mondial Agencies roster which is why Carr never looked at him?

• 3 lesh // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Ok, we may lose a couple of million on Thauvin’s transfer fee but surely there’s a similar saving on his waves – that’s assuming the reportedly interested clubs are to pay them in full for the period of his loan?

And, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferrari’s rocked up looking a little commission/ brokering fee.

• 4 nightfa11 // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:05 PM

i dont think we need another striker..
    mitro, perez, gayle and arma should suffice..all of them are good, all of them need games..oh and sell rivi..

as for knockhaert..sign him up..

• 5 ToonRich // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Going back to the rb/lb situation…I’d prefer to see Gamez at rb as he is naturally right-footed, this was evident at Doncaster as he was reluctant to cross on his left. As for LB, Mbabu bossed Chelsea from that position, although hes also an rb by trade!

I want more creativity in the team first, and AK would provide that. If it wsas only between him or Pritchard…I’d still pick AK; he’s more experience at this level and has more assists in him I think. Pritchard would suit the central role better.

I’ve said previously Forestieri would be a great buy…but cant see the Owls selling him, they dont need the money, and he’s their best chance of making promotion.

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:20 PM

manx

martinez has a better record than pardew who you have no problems with. Don’t get all the hate. Martinez has had a mixed career, but no worse than a lot of managers and at least martinez always tried to play football, even when having to work with the likes of caldwell at wigan.

RM got a team promoted, won the FA cup, came 5th and into europe, scoring a record number of goals, after buying lukaku in his first season at everton.

as i say i don’t get the hate when you find no fault with inferior managers who never enjoyed greater success or played the game how it should be or even tried to.

• 7 AndyMac // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Never mind Thauvin I keep reading that Cabella is still our player despite an alleged “deal” with Marseilles ?

Plus Riviere aint going anywhere soon nor I suspect is Goof, so tell me again why we bought these “Frenchies” ?

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:23 PM

lesh

is thauvin a surfer too?

ed

would think it is much easier for thauvin to make a transition from the south of france to neighbouring italy.

• 9 davetoon // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Surely Thauvin can make an impact in the Championship. If he has the right attitude and Rafa wants to keep him we should demand a permanent transfer now.

• 10 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Goodness sake, when I read the headline, I thought thank goodness, moussa sissoko is away. Now we have rid of the biggest rotten apples in the team. Espically as the Paul Pogba deal is done, it will defies be sissoko.

What did I find when opened up, Thauvin agent is here!

• 11 davetoon // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Or keep him

• 12 JP...from The Rock // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Really hope we get this Knockeart fella in.

• 13 Mister Tuff // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:31 PM

I’m not 100% convinced Gayle can do the business. On the basis of that I would like to think Benitez will get another striker.

Also – Shelvey – seems to be working hard and a couple of weeks ago reported losing 6 -7 kilos in weight.
    However if he reverts to being lost in midfield and starts his arm waving antics again -we’ll not have much of an attacking threat from midfield.
    Therefore as cover/rotation another AM for me.

• 14 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM

The only time I remember Thauvin doing anything was against a lower league team. I think it was 3 assist & a goal in a game. Mite be useful in the championship.

• 15 Jib // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Eddy Silvestre a very tall Spanish – born Azerbaijani midfielder has just signed from Cordoba for Fulham.
    Which is hardly earth-shattering news.
    What is interesting is – NUFC nearly bought him – which signifies Rafa is still very active in the transfer market.

• 16 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Rotonda i had a problem with the likes of you putting ALL the blame on pardew when it was obvious that the problem was far deeper including shite players.
    Bruce and pardew have recently reached the FA cup final, mccliesh won the league cup so did mcclaren who also reached the eufa cup final so your point is pretty poor tbh as all cup comps have a huge amount of luck, martinez also got relegated the same year.

He can’t get a team to defend so all the nice football in the world would still mean his teams will ultimately fail as has been proven even with a squad as good as evertons was

• 17 SupaToonKid // Jul 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Shadow

You are quite right. He notched a hat-trick of assists and a goal against Northampton Town in the cup last season. His only real notable contribution and I believe it was his full debut. Much promise was shown and I believe too if Rafa can invigorate him he could become a success in the Championship.

However due to his rare use in pre-season I can see us cashing in as it would seem he’s happy to leave as well + he is more of an unknown commodity. The options of Knockheart and Pritchard resemble more reliable success in my eyes. Although, I would argue that we need currently at least 1 more winger/attacking mid with the current squad but if/when Sissoko or Thauvin leave we’d need both AK & AP and if both left I’d say we’d need 3 more.

For me let’s say both Sissoko and Thauvin deals go through. I’d sign AK as FT’s replacement, Mo Diame as MS’s replacement (would be ideal to fulfil the void left of Sissoko’s power + I’d say a more complete box to box player than Sissoko, however I feel if Sissoko stayed Rafa would make Sissoko into the box to box powerhouse he has the potential to be) and Pritchard as the much needed extra creative source.

After that ideally a left footed LB is bought and I believe we’re done. I feel with the wing/attacking midfield additions I have listed a further striker wouldn’t be overly necessary. If we were to sign another striker he’d have to be better than current crop imo and I can’t see anyone realistically who’s available to do that (maybe McCormack but that’s about it + I don’t know enough about this Che Adams to advocate for him).

• 18 SupaToonKid // Jul 29, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Left back I’d be very happy with the Walsall lad Rico Henry. Seems ideal for the role and has even more potential than Charlie Taylor of Leeds. I still think Robbie Brady a shout too but I think he’s 1 of those too good for the Championship but too average for the Prem players if I’m honest. We need players with the potential to become a star in the Prem, Henry is the most likely to.

Quick side note on Thauvin, I think he has huge potential if kept and nurtured correctly, more than AK tbh.

• 19 Our Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Spurs have put a 10m price tag on Benteleb, would anyone prefer him as tiote replacement. I think he’s a better player than Pritchard and 2m more for a proven player

• 20 ToonRich // Jul 29, 2016 at 4:56 PM

@19, Would prefer to stay away from Spud players if we can!! Overpriced really!

• 21 Belfast // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM

The last article has him only wanting to join Marseille and the next article has his agent in town to seal a move to Lazio.

Someone is talking monkey here.

• 22 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I work with an Everton fan and he spent much of the past season saying that it has confirmed Martinez’s failings as a manager. He’s a football fan and talks sense and not only because he largely endorsed my long term thinking on Martinez. Had he ever been manager at the toon under the financial restrictions imposed on Pardew then we would have been relegated a few seasons back.

The Everton defence individually has capable defenders. But, as a unit they were as bad as they’ve been this past season, the blame lies with the manager. Everton generally play two defensive midfielders in Barry and McCarthy, so there is simply no excuse for the state of the defence. Something you frequently blamed Pardew for doing as I recall. Tim Howard’s form post-WC was atrocious, and Martinez was largely responsible for the breakdown in the relationship between Howard and the fans. He should have taken him out of the firing line sooner. Whereas he took John Stones out of the team an damaged his confidence- the best young CB since Rio in my opinion. This ostracised Stones who Everton fans wanted to build the side around going forward.

You were always very critical of Pardew’s press conferences but the fans at Everton were frequently enraged by Martinez’s relentless optimism viewed as great when they were winning, but was incredibly grating when rank bad. He simply ended up sounding deluded and as if commenting on another game. Everton fans last season thought they had their best side in decades but ended up in one of their lowest league positions in a decade. He was also blamed by the majority of fans for damaging the development of a number of other young players who’s form has fallen away under his management. He has a track record of not being able to organise a defence and is slow witted and lacking in tactical nous. Something you’ve always been reluctant to acknowledge. It has undermined your credibility not least with Betty.

Something I read in an Everton fanzine – The majority of fans use an analogy from GOT; Under Moyes, we were like Ned Stark and were a bit more ‘honour-bound’. No dives, no ill-disciplined players, industrious but not too flashy. Fans often complained that we didn’t ever try to get into the ref’s ears to force decisions our way. Very professional. Well-liked all around, but at the end of the day we are powerless to stop our death. We know the sword is coming, we accept it and die a somewhat honorable death.
    Under Martinez it was more like the Red Viper Oberyn Martell. More flashy, get a lot more attention for our style of play, lot more dives, lot more petulance, a lot more threatening, inspirational at times. At the end of the day simply flattered to massively deceive. For me it sums up Martinez all style and limited substance.

I personally was hoping Martinez would get the S’land job.

• 23 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:12 PM

That was for manxpie/ Rotonda.

• 24 Belfast // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Nufc Paul could you elaborate on the financial situation at Marseille a little further please? I’ve been baffled by this for a few seasons now. They are constantly selling players for millions but always pleading poverty.

I just came to the conclusion they where taking the piss especially at British clubs expense.

• 25 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Belfast – I wish I had your command of language. Very succinct.

• 26 ShirebrookToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Sick of hearing about this tw@t now. Get him fcuking gone and spend the money to bring knockeart or someone of that mould

• 27 Offkey // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Nice to see Ian toon keeping it either non nufc related or non football related……kettle…….pot……black, he just can’t help himself, once he’s gone we can get back to the proper football chat

• 28 Belfast // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Good enough for the daily planet Buster ??

Yer right!!

• 29 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Belfast – Can you help me please.
    – Is Mr Tubbs, Mike Ashley ?
    – What/ who is talking monkey? What’s that all about.
    – Who is Buster ?

• 30 Belfast // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I was reading the other day they could only afford 40% of Gomis wages and Swansea would have to pay the rest. They’ve only banked about 50 million odds this summer.

• 31 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Parting is such sweet sorrow but on a double shift and want to get something treat.
    Wish we’d get a few creators/ goal scorers on board.

• 32 geordie157 // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Adnan Januzaj, Will Keane and James Wilson, midfielder Andreas Pereira and defenders Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Tyler Blackett and Paddy McNair

Any of this Man U lot worth a look….I think Pereira and Borthwick-Jackson would be great signings.

• 33 ToonRich // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:29 PM

@32, TF-M is highly rated is he not?

Would love to see Januzaj, but sure he could get a loan deal to a top european club no problem.

• 34 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Why this Newcastle “Star” only wants a move to one club. Since when is Thauvin a Newcastle star/ I don’t recall him doing anything starlike for us. Or did I miss an incredible season where he scored 20 and had 20 assists for us?

• 35 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Thaujam is just toe jam to me. He did nothing for us. Wash him out immediately for a nice bit of cash and stop buying French flops. Harrumph!

• 36 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Forget about Jasonjazz or whatever his name is. He won’t come to us. Let’s get re-focused people!

• 37 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Adnan Jasonjazz! Adnan Jasonjazz!
    He’s not coming!
    We’re still looking!

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:44 PM

A lot of you have been saying “But G2 we have been selling top, top players and replacing them with English dabblers and lower league piffle….” Absolutely not true lads. These are hard working professionals with some grit in their crops and a desire to win! Harrumph….. Unbelievable….

• 39 beermonkey // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:45 PM

g2

evening how r u

does any1 know if tomoz friendly will be on tv or streamed

• 40 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Beermonkey! Where have you been mate? I’m hoping this periscope thing is available although not great quality. Desperate times my friend….

• 41 LGFUAD21 // Jul 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Iantoon

Re Martinez.
    I think you are right. It’s been well documented that Martinez know how to get a team playing nice but he’s always been shocking defensively.

Unfortunately Everton had a very unbalanced squad like ours and their defenders lost it a bit and their team fell apart on the back of it.

I really don’t rTe stones though. If he were ours is be jumping up and down over £50m

He’s talented but Clearly hasn’t learnt how to defend. I’m a defend first type guy. Only want skilful cbs if they can do the bread and butter stuff well.

Stones is always taking on risks trying to show his dribbling

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Tuff,
    Gayle better do the business I’ve got a hundred quid on top scorer.

• 43 Ron Knee // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:03 PM

That’s motivation!

• 44 beermonkey // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM

G2

usual stuff work family

what have i missed on here

• 45 beermonkey // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:12 PM

jail

should have just given me 50 we both would have been better off

• 46 NUFCPaul // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Thauvin DIDN’T enjoy his time in Newcastle? Cheeky agent. He’s still our player mate. Try saying he ISN’T enjoying it, in the current tense. Or even better yet, engage your brain and keep your gob shut until your client is transferred elsewhere.

• 47 beermonkey // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:18 PM

jail

i was chatting to a palace fan the otherday he is convinced gayle is going to be fantastic in the championship
    i am not so sure, never seen anything that makes me think he is going to do any good, not that i have seen alot of him

• 48 NUFCPaul // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM

@Belfast – sorry to pull a JIB on you, but here’s a link to a good article explaining why OM are still screwed financially. Hope it answers your questions!

• 49 Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Rotunda, with all due respect, pardew was below average to poor. if he was useless we’d have been relegated and never got remotely near 5th. I’m glad to see the back of him and am always battering him when I hear his name ladued over here ( yes fans think he did a good job, which he didn’t ) , but you went on ad nauseum about Martinez and the guy has been badly exposed at Everton. He was not successful there. I just don’t think you can bring yourself to admit that ? Not having a go. Appreciate his sideways football but he cant defend and his players got utterly sick of him. and so did the fans.

• 50 Belfast // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Cheers Paul. I never new things where that tight. What they’ve sold this summer should just about keep their heads above water by the sound of things.

• 51 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Luigi Lamborghini is also in the Toon I gather…..

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:12 PM

As you lot well know I believe Rafa is wearing the Thong of Destiny for wor club now. He will lead us out of misery and into the promised land of silverware. Just stay oot of his way Crassley….

• 53 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:15 PM

A lot of that article about OM reminds me of a certain Tyneside club Paul mate. A nitwit owner. Squandered money on unproven youth…… Hmmm. Sound familiar to anybody else?

• 54 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:21 PM

You see? That’s what I like about beermonkey. A man of few words but he gets the job done. You ask him to pee in a few back pockets and it’s all tears and moistness before you know it!!

• 55 Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Jail, what odds did u get for Gayle. I was thinking of having same bet?

• 56 SPRINGY // Jul 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM

so apparently thauvin is’nt going to marseille as they want to pay with two banana’s and a handful of cherries coz thats all they can afford,or he’snot going to lazio as there has been no negotiations between the clubs?…bit of a non story till there is concrete interest….we might of turned down a bid for him… but its just what been said on sites??….more crap.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM

10 to 1 Munster

• 58 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Would love us to get Forestieri and Knockaert just to see the pure meltdown from Brighton and shef Wednesday fans Hahahaha, linked with them this morning and they’re already getting defensive about it on twitter

• 59 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Get rid of Riviere, gouffran, de Jong and Thauvin. Replace with Knockaert, Pritchard and Forrestieri

• 60 ashleysmate // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:28 PM

True…very true

• 61 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM

We are the big fish in the small pond of the championship and its about time we acted like it ! The bigger teams from the premiership are poaching our players so we should be doing it to the likes of Brighton and Wednesday!

We done it to Blackburn and Bournemouth with Hanley and Richie and its been good reading their fans getting annoyed about it so lets keep doing it !

• 62 clinath@ed // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM

BREAKING NEWS …… BREAKING NEWS …… News in that Manchester City have bid £50m plus Raheem Sterling for defender John Stones. It is thought that Everton are holding out for just the £50m.

• 63 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM

LCBP

That would give us 2 very strong XI’s that both capable of challenging for the league.

Sels

Hayden
    Knockaert
    Forestieri
    Pritchard
    Mitrovic/Arma

• 64 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:47 PM

We could be playing over 50+ games this season so we’re gonna need a large squad with a lot of strength in depth

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:52 PM

How have we got onto Martinez? Has he got a new job? Poor manager, can’t set a team up well, can play all the pretty football, but if he can’t set them up then he isn’t a good manager. Maybe a decent coach, but far from a tactician and manager.

• 66 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Extrem alpine football – St James’ Park slope has nowt on this…

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Gayle is a good striker at this level, but whether he is the type of striker we need leading the line against teams who will sit deep and try to shut up shop is debatable. I think Mitro will be more effective, particularly with Ritchie out wide. Could do with similar quality in delivery from the left.

Robbie Brady and Robertson on the left flank sounds like a good pairing for that.

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Not seen anything of Pritchard, but not convinced he will be a great signing, particularly at the prices quoted. Would have much preferred taking a chance on Kemar Roofe instead before Leeds got him. Still need more creativity to replace Gini, even if Pritchard joined.

Coady was great as a youngster, but that was mainly because he was physically more developed which enabled him to control midfields. Not good enough now others have caught up in that department. If we could get a very talented youth then I’d be okay with Tiote going, but if not then I’d like to see him stay for a year.

1 more defender, don’t mind if it is a left back or centre back, but I do think we need someone there.

• 69 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Lilongwe

Whoscored.com is a good website to find out more about players, it has their stats and calculates from their stats what their strengths/weaknesses/style of play is from stats etc. So recommend you look up players like Pritchard!

Also I agree Gayle will be better against the teams who will try and attack us as he has the pace to beat the defensive line. However against teams who will park the bus, when we’ll need to carve them open and put balls into the box, Mitro will be the better option, as he can dominate aerially and win headers

• 70 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Pritchard was great for brentford

• 71 Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM

One of the problems we have, i think, is that we dont have a suitable 1 for the 4231. I love mitro but he lacks pace and i’m not convinced rafa rates him as top dog. We might be better in a 442 mitro and gayle/arma) especially at home but i think rafa is quite stuck on 4231 that he might stay with it.

• 72 Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Lil, no chance of us getting robbie or robertson surely

• 73 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:28 PM

So far in pre-season only 5 of our 14 goals have come from strikers. And 3 have come from Perez. Gayle and Mitro have 1 in each, in the first match. A bit of a worry there. To me it suggests the way to go is with Perez in behind Mitro or Gayle if we play 4-2-3-1.

• 74 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:31 PM

If somebody’s banging them in he has to play. A big body like Mitro with Perez following up makes sense to me. Ritchie to get balls in, Mitro to knock them down and Perez to finish. Gayle seems a bit off the pace so far.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Jail – you never know about Gayle – he may be top goalscorer – so not a bad bet – 50/50 I’d say.

Last week or the week before somebody posted another bet which I thought was ridiculous – cannot remember what it was now.

You may get a return.

• 76 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM

I think Martinez did become a bit overrated. But he did have a good run with Swansea. A 50% winning rate is very decent. It’s interesting to note that his overall win rate at Everton was 42.7% as well. Compare that with some of our magnificent former head coaches (Johnny C. with an amazing mark of 15%, and Steve McMuffin at 22.6). Now there’s some numbers to think about when complaining about managers.

• 77 Mister Tuff // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Ian Toon – what a long winded post about Everton/Martinez.
    I can now see why you got another job to being a sports writer. Don’t give up your day job.

You mentioned the other day you were at Uni – were you enrolled on a degree course or were you a staff member – groundsman/security guard/boilerman – et al.

• 78 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:46 PM

We’ll have some real stats to analyze after the first 23 matches. That will give Rafa a real idea of where we need further strengthening. I like the idea of going back in for KnockClarts though…..

• 79 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Stevie McMuffin!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!

• 80 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Interesting to look at Ayoze. So far 13 goals in 70 appearances for us. Compare that to the mighty Obertanned. Three in 76.

• 81 JamesToon // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Can see martinez ending up at somewhere like hull

• 82 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Could well happen JamesToon mate. They’re having terrible financial difficulty so it will be a real struggle. Like going to Wigan.

• 83 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:05 PM

munster

you, me and everybody goes on ad nauseum on certain things. Don’t pretend otherwise. bit pot – kettle – black, as you’ve bored me to a standstill on why rafa hasn’t done this, that or the other. it’s human nature and we all get on our soapbox and have opinions.

yet people defend pardew’s 5th place with dire football, but completely ignore martinez’s 5th place season with great football.

One season baines and coleman were great, last season not so much, plus stones had his head turned by chelsea. as I say, no matter what, i don’t get the hate.

• 84 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Who was it did the dirty on us and signed Obertongs? It was Alan Mildew wasn’t it? Harrumph! Of course it was.

• 85 GeordieTwo // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:16 PM

And who has a name like Gabby Obertongs anyway? Pahhh!

• 86 Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Rotunda i bored u? And u were the one who posted pardew thrash every day for 3 years. Get real man. The difference between ur opinion and min is that u lauded martinez ti the hilt ad nauseum. I never rated pardew in such a way. I merely said he was below mid table, maybe worse and although he bought into the regime, he was not allowed to buy players to suit his style. U were the one who had martinez down as the next big thing. But he isnt. He has been exposed and if you heard the level of abuse he had from local journalists and fans you would see my point of view more. The man cant defend and is a spoofer.

• 87 jimmysmith // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:33 PM

With the drop in standard we have greater flexibility. You can play Anita at right back and Janmaat ahead of him as second or third options. Gamez can start on either side at this level. We can play Perez, Shelvey, De Jong in the hole, all three surely very good at this level. The one position we don’t appear to have cover for is Mitro. But finding a decent back up target man might be tough and expensive, and of little use to us should we go back. Crouch would be great on a one season deal, but not two, for example.

If we lose Thauvin, similarly we need to find a winger that can step up. I’d prefer to keep him, and then look to move him on if we need to this time next year when hopefully we can attract better calibre players than we might now, and just maybe he’ll realise his potential for us and we won’t have to.

I wouldn’t mind Benitez getting a bit tough with this player, for his own good. He needs to learn you have to work at things in life, once you’ve made a commitment. He has given up too easily, for a player with talent, and it will stunt his career if he doesn’t grow out of it. Faded Monaco
    playboy won’t seem so appealing at 35, looking back on what might have been.

• 88 NUFCPaul // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Here’s a sign that the Chinese Super League is tossing money around like it’s silly season – Christian Vieri is coming out of retirement aged 43 to play in China. He must have been offered stupid money by some desperate team over there. Who’s next? Geoff Hurst?

• 89 lesh // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:38 PM

NUFCPaul

Interesting summary of Marseilles’ situation. It has all the makings of a basket case unless it’s removed from the paws of its current owner.

In NUFC’s shoes, I wouldn’t even bother talking to OM about Thauvin unless there’s cash up front for his transfer fee. If not, someone (his agent) really has a duty to talk to Thauvin about his future – and knock on more club doors to find a buyer.

There was a comment in that summary – ‘….The ‘low-cost’ aura that is enveloping the club has seriously frustrated fans who demand greater respect from the management with regards to the club’s honour.’ Mmm, doesn’t that sound familiar?

OM fans have every reason to be concerned.

• 90 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Rotunda you seem to be making plenty of excuses for martinez including i remember you saying why they were underperforming in their euro season that lukaku was missing for 6 months he missed 3 games
    you also loved repeating that pardew had fans chanting him out at other clubs so Wat do you make of the majority of Everton fans doing the same were they wrong too?
    Plus you seem to forget that Everton under moyes were actually giving the top 4 a run for there money for a number of seasons before martinez
    he’s shite and has been found out

• 91 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Lil I started it lol as I seen he was the favourite for the Hull job so said that’s a guarantee for them getting relegated so thought we should raid them for Robertson, Maguire and snodgrass

• 92 jimmysmith // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Martinez did well enough at Everton, up till last season, and well in his career overall. His time ran out at a club that had the players to have done far better, and so he had to go, but it’s a bit unfair to judge a manager when at a low ebb. He’d be a good appointment for Hull, who’ll be odds on for the drop regardless who their manager is.

• 93 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM

jimmy he did well at swansea he won a cup with wigan but they were perennial relegation fodder under him bruce had them at 8th 1 season didn’t he? and always had them mid table
    at everton he had money and a great squad and failed because of his management its amazing to be honest how people readily find excuses for him such as players out of form or this or that but solely blame the managers here under ashleys basket case running of the club

as i said earlier martinez couldn’t get his teams to defend so ultimately his teams will always fail how is that good management? especially with evertons squad

• 94 jimmysmith // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Rivierre might capably understudy Mitro in this league. He was quite good in all respects other than goalscoring when playing for us in the epl. Doubtless confidence played a role in the complete lack of goals. Benitez will know enough of him by now, despite the injuries, to judge whether he can contribute, and I suspect he will be given a role to play.

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Everton fans hated him so the owners got shot of him, our disliked manager got an eight year deal for the exact same reasons that Martinez got sacked for.

• 96 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Jimmy,
    There’s no harm in being proved wrong and I’d like nothing more than Riverie to find his level in the Championship and start banging them in. I just can’t see it, he’s shite.

• 97 jimmysmith // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Maybe he needs a season out for reflection. Reassess his approach to setting up defensively. He’s still young yet highly experienced, and of course very well educated, and seems a person of quality and intelligence. It’s hard to imagine there won’t be better days ahead for him, and for the clubs he’ll manage.

• 98 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:27 PM

jail thats not right is it? infact its bollicks! pardew got an 8 year contract after finishing 5th martinez got a 5 year contract after the same achievement

• 99 Our Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Martinez failed last season no doubting that but most managers will eventually have a bad season, look at Mourinho for example. He did very good job at Swansea and Wigan, to keep that shoddy Wigan side up was an achievement year in year out.

He needs to sort himself defensively though as this his weakness but he’s a better manager than anyone we’ve had over the last decade!!

• 100 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:30 PM

agree with you on rivi tho infact with him de jong the 1st and cabella i have never seen such soft shooters of the ball in my life! do they use different balls in europe or summit?

• 101 jimmysmith // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, he’s not at all likely to start banging them in, but as back up target man, for one season, in every other respect he ticks the boxes. Benitez will have surely been looking at him for the role, considering our current position.

• 102 SPRINGY // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM

jimmy
    i said something similar the other day about rivvy,people on here were convinced he would be gone soon as, but i said.. thats because he’s the only player in our squad who close to mitro stature and game play, so there was every chance that he may stay as cover for mitro…unless there is another striker of similar type signed,he could stay.

• 103 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:35 PM

ourtoon the fact he hasn’t sorted it out shows he isn’t a good manager doesn’t it?
    it’s always been said about him, eveton were in the top 8 for most of moyes time including 4th and a few very close 5th runs he took them backwards massively spending good money aswell

• 104 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:39 PM

i think koeman will bring them back up there tho i believe he is a very good manager and everton have a very decent squad and more investment now too
    the amount of money in the prem now is huge if we get up this season we will have some catching up to do thats for sure only a week left now tho to see where we are!

• 105 Tsunki // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:43 PM

My apologies would have chimed in earlier but I read Ian Toons latest offering from the pulpit and was sick in my mouth a little bit. I think I’m ok now tho…ugghh….bleurghhhhhh!!!

• 106 nufc 11 // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:45 PM

If knockheart stays at Brighton and thauvin stays at nufc this season who will do better? My money would be on thauvin. 10 million on knockheart give me a break.

• 107 Our Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Manx

He didn’t take them backwards, even Moyes had the odd season when he really struggled.

• 108 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM

manxpie,
    Not bollix at at all, Martinez got sacked because he was delivering shite football and tenth was considered a poor finish. Pardew was given an eight year deal because the owner didn’t care about the football, the fans and tenth was a bloody good bonus. Don’t be so rude, especially when you’re wrong!

• 109 Our Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM

Wolves have just sacked Kenny jackett and lining up 20m bid for benfica lad….wtf is going on

• 110 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Manx,
    Your post saying mine was bollix had sfa to do with what I said.

• 111 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:50 PM

ourtoon he spent 100 mill and had them finish 5th 11th 11th
    i’d say thats going backwards mate especially with money spent i doubt moyes spent that in his 10 or watever years he was there

• 112 Our Toon // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Manx

Like I say all managers eventually go backwards, he lost the dressing room which is why they went backwards. The players stopped playing for him. I’m not saying he’s a class manager but he’s better than the bloke you used to laud here…..a certain pardew, if anyone went backwards it was them in the 2nd half of the season…..wowza

• 113 manxpie // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:54 PM

please explain jail or did all fans hate pardew after we finished 5th?

• 114 Tsunki // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Moyes managed a top half premier league team well for years. One short stint of being stitched up at manure with the largest poisoned chalice in football and he is adjudged by popular lore as a failure. Martinez likewise navigated a path through the championship to premier league with a respectable record on tight budgets, but a lacklustre period with a trudging and underperforming Everton side means he is also a failure. How cruel this game is at the hands of the mighty collective sage that is fan bloggery. The same fan bloggery that probably rated the likes of McLaren, ex -England supremo, no doubt. 😀

• 115 Tsunki // Jul 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Manxpie I think the general tenor at the time of the 5th place finish was a disbelieving euphoria at the unlikely position we had landed in, and the heady optimism we might actually have finished in CL places. We mostly thought we had ridden the luck wave very capably, well above the capability of the incumbent. As it turns out we were right to be astounded. Reality soon returned as certainly as the rent man.

• 116 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:02 AM

No they didn’t Manx, myself included, but Pardew wasn’t given an eight year deal to finish fifth every year, it was to try and finish tenth regardless of the footballing being played and the slimy cnut gladly took it. The football was dreadful that season we finished fifth and Ashley knew it. Martinez was sacked for the same reasons Pardew was given an eight year deal. For not delivering good football and only finishing eleventh, what part of that is bollix?

• 117 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:03 AM

ourtoon i never lauded him please show me a post where i ever did
    but its amazing how martinez gets praise for him taking a top eight never relegated team to 5th after getting 40-50 mil to spend and then spent alot more and took them backwards
    and the managers here under ashley especially pardew got fusk all really and he got the same achievement in the 2nd season back up and then got 6 mill that was spent on a player we didn’t need
    i just don’t see the logic in it, thats why, or is it just that he got a team to pass it sideways a bit more and keep possession without doing anything with it

• 118 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM

manxpie,
    Pardew knew exactly who he was in bed with and took the money before he forked off as soon as he could. Who is lauding Martinez anyway, only a few in here really rating him and just as many not.

• 119 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Manx, he didn’t have any of the things he had here as an excuse at Palace. 2 league wins in 2016 and came very close to being relegated again. That concludes that one.

• 120 Our Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Manx

You defend the bloke to the hilt. He took us from 5th to 15th or 16th….that’s going backwards. Martinez has his shortcomings, the new owner didn’t trust him which is fair enough, kenwright would probably have kept him but they got a better manager in Koeman.

On subject of managers Diego simone was a failure at his first 6 attempts as manager before he landed athletico madrid job, now he’s classed as one of the best out there.

Pochettino was a failure in Spain but successful here.

• 121 Our Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Lr32

He did that in half a season, went from 5th to 15th, some achievement. No doubt he’ll blame the fa cup as a distraction though. Those pesky cup runs have a habit of causing relegation

• 122 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:16 AM

it weren’t dreadful jail for a team in its 2nd season back up and anyone who didn’t enjoy that season has to be very deluded tbh
    martinez was sacked for failing after spending 100 mill in 3 seasons
    pardew finished 5th and was in europe wat would you do?
    where would we be now if pardew walked then who’d we have got under the same shite running of the club?
    its ridiculous to say that

• 123 Our Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:16 AM

Forget martinez, would anyone take benteleb if he were willing to drop a division as spurs have said he can go for 10m!! I think he’s a good player who’ll only get better but have to admit I’ve not seen enough of him to say 100% that he’ll be a success.

Anyone know more on him?

• 124 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Our Toon, no surprise to a lot of us. Just waiting for the nosedive. I told my neighbour to wait for it. Sure enough at the end of the season he actually brought it up to me and said he noticed. Nostradamus 😉

• 125 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:19 AM

Manxpie,
    For the record I’ve never rated or slated Martinez on here, I fact I don’t even remember mentioning him before except for that Callum Mcmanaman assault a few years ago. But didn’t he have the record for goals scored in Everton PL history whereas Pardews +5 was an all time low for a fifth place finish?

• 126 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:23 AM

laurent and an fa cup final but again its not about him its about martinez it was rotonda who brought pardew up btw
    ourtoon martinez went massively down hill with an extra 30 mill spent in that pesky euro season only picking up after they were knocked out in the last 16
    anyways if he gets the Hull job i’m having a bet on them being relegated it’ll be good odds as he’s held in such high reguard by most

• 127 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Manxpie,
    You forking barmpot, if he’d walked after being hung out to dry he might have made Ashley realise he had to get a decent manager in. Pardews ability to make us just about to keep our heads above water in a pool of sewage is what has caused this abject misery that has hung about the place for the last four years.

• 128 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM

I think that most of the Martinez discussions in previous years was that he attempted to play an attacking game, rather than him being the next managerial big thing.

There was a lot of dissatisfaction at the horrid off the cuff and defensive football that was played before. It was poor football even for the 5th finish. Nicking games would only last so long as it was so poor. The goal difference was only about plus 5 that season I think which spoke volumes.

As I said before, it was either going to go two ways; Starting gelling as a team and really picking up points the following season, or continue to play underwhelming and poorly thought out football and not get the points either.
    We all know how that went, so it wasn’t a surprise.

The common theme? Crap football as a team. He’s continuing that where he is now. One of those two wins came across relegated Norwich. Had we beat them at their place I think we’d be about level on points at the end of the season.

Long live Rafa! Onwards and upwards!

• 129 beermonkey // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM

wasnt pards given the 8 year deal cos england were sniffing round after the 5th place

• 130 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:33 AM

yeah he did jail with a 30 million pound striker wat did we get?
    and thank fusk we got him in january

• 131 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:33 AM

I think the encouraging positive we can take from this is that Alan Pardew is now officially de-rated to average to POOR PL Manager which has seen his credit rating drop below solidly average for the first time.

• 132 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Manxpie,
    What do you mean it wasn’t dreadful, how many games did you attend that season, it was forking horrible, even most of the great wins were done with 35/65% possession. The 2-1 against Villa, 1-0 against QPR and Norwich were quite possibly the worst games of football I’ve ever seen in my life.

• 133 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:36 AM

The idea was some sort of wacky “continuity” thing that Ashley and his goons thought would pay off, by getting the paid help to comply with his “plan” for a guaranteed salary. “Just keep us on the white line, Alan, and the money gets wired to your account.”

• 134 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:39 AM

That’s right though, isn’t it? We got to 5th against the odds, with a few favourable results from our rival places, and playing some awful football at times. That’s what made it so memorable. The fact we knew we never really earned it. Chronic goal difference too.

• 135 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:40 AM

if you believe that jail then i certainly ain’t the barmpot
    the only reason rafa is now here apart from the unbelievable support he has been given since he came is ashley was absolutley desperate at that point in time nothing else no big light bulb moment nothing! he was desperate for us to stay up! carver was our manager for half a season enough said really!

• 136 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:40 AM

Tsunki,
    Does that officially come from Munster once rating him as bang average but getting far too much abuse on here but now being poor to middling and no mention of abuse on here?

• 137 Mister Tuff // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Manx – can you do the King Percy dance or have you practiced it in front of a mirror/shop window.
    Be truthful please.

• 138 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:42 AM

almost as dreadful as being relegated i bet jail

• 139 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:45 AM

Ashley has spent, and pretty big, apart from those two notorious seasons for which we are in part paying so heavily for now. It was the nature of the spending that was so flawed. If the same relative level of spending can continue under a Benitez’ remit, we will most likely ultimately do well, but we will have some catching up to do, and it will take some time unfortunately. Ashley may also need to pump a little more of his own dough in to do it, and I’m afraid, like it or not, he’ll have little argument not to, considering what we’ve gone through.

• 140 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:46 AM

leicester fans will be livid winning the fusking thing with horrid 1-0 wins against the likes of norwich us and watford!

• 141 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:48 AM

Manx,
    I have been entirely lucid in this calamitous affair that has included McCardew, Kinnear and favourites of mine Keegan, Shearer and Hughton!

• 142 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:52 AM

Mr T – it’s official. Downgraded on this very thread.

“49Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Rotunda, with all due respect, pardew was below average to poor. if he was useless we’d have been relegated and never got remotely near 5th. I’m glad to see the back of him and am always battering him when I hear his name ladued over here ( yes fans think he did a good job, which he didn’t ) ”

Pardew was lauded by somebody. Somewhere. Apparently. Over ‘there’. 😐

Although he wasn’t useless enough to get us relegated, apparently

• 143 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:52 AM

Pardew was hamstrung by the transfer policy, but there were periods of good football, particularly when Cabaye and Tiote were both firing. That spell of counter attacking football was also pretty good too. But, yeah, without doubt, too little standing up to the owner, and too much dross as a result.

• 144 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Yes leicesters entire season was one long slog of flukes, freak wins and soul destroying, ball-numbing football. That’s what makes it a fairy tale. They may even make a movie out of that dross. 😉

• 145 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:56 AM

exactly jail that is my point which is actually to rotonda which is where this convo has come from have a look back and you will see we could have had rafa then but under the same crazy running of the club and transfer policy we wouldn’t have done much better and imo under martinez done worse

• 146 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Tbf Jimmy Pardew has always been hamstrung by being an arrogant, self-serving insincere chilli-lipped lower league fly boy on the take. Apart from that, an all round good egg.

• 147 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:00 AM

manxpie,
    We didn’t come anywhere near winning the league, everyone put up with the shite football because we finished fifth, When a stated club policy was to finish tenth, not do cups AND play shite football awhile the lying conman of a manager milked his fifth place finish and two awards to back his paymaster then people got pissed off, not you and Mag52 though, despite the most ardent of Ashley Out supporters agreeing with that you chose to accuse us of not realising who the biggest culprit was. Manx, please don’t tell me you fancy Pardew because of his little shorts back on his cup final days!

• 148 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:02 AM

Jimmy, he stumbled across that 433 though, when people, myself included, had wanted to see it for months because it suited the players at the time. Hatem was excellent in that period where the team played better.

• 149 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:03 AM

tsunki so you were the deluded one then i take it? with catchy
    how anyone can say they were bored, mind numbed, soul destroyed by that season amazes me it wasn’t great attacking football all season but it was bloody great as a supporter proper edge of your seat stuff and to do it in our second season back up was unbelievable

• 150 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:03 AM

Just a word of worthwhile caution. it’s good to be optimistic with a manager of worth and an owner who has become the beneficiary of sense colliding with financial necessity in a perfect storm. But it’s good to be mindful of the decade that preceded all this, and bear in mind the awful possibility that given a small change in circumstances, Ashley could take us back there on a whim. Just saying. Sleep well.

• 151 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:05 AM

Manxpie how on earth do you classify me with catchy? Deluded by what? I thought the 5th place season was more the result of a team playing despite Pardew. Against the script as it were. Like Matt Murdocks boxer dad ha ha

• 152 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:06 AM

Anyway, enough of this reminiscing and neuralgia. Sorry nostalgia. Hmm no difference. I’m off to bed.

• 153 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:11 AM

haha i didn’t say we were but leicester won the games they needed to any way they could and they went through most of the season with far less possession than there opponents and hitting on the counter! as i said they must be livid not dominating most games and passing the opposition of the pitch!
    was the all seeing jail saying it was shite at the time?
    i don’t think so tbh

• 154 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Manx,
    Your love of Pardew just won’t accept it, why you love him so is beyond me? Nobody thought that season was shite, it was brilliant, exciting and even had me submitted to the fact that the transfer policy had paid off despite us not buying a CB, Ashley had no intention of us finishing fifth that season, Pardew along with Ashley and Llambias knew exactly what the plans gorvthe club were, I’m not totally sure if he knew the full extent before that though.

• 155 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Tsunki @151 I agree.

• 156 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:23 AM

wat so all the wins were the players, and all the losses were pardews fault so that means the “awful terrible shite” football had nothing to do with him then ah i get ya now tsunki yep totally deluded lol

• 157 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:28 AM

I never actually disliked Pardew personally. He always just seemed to get on with it, and seemed more professional and even quite humble in front the press generally speaking. The players quite liked him I think, but he wasn’t strong enough to wrest sufficient power to his role from Ashley and his cronies certainly. I have been accused of knowing eff all about the realities of the club though, something about being on Mars rings a bell. So there’s always that.

• 158 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:32 AM

it gets better so they all didn’t want champions league football then a season after getting promoted after losing 50 mill i see wat a plan that was!
    and pardew with his obvious ego didn’t want it either and everything that happened that season had nothing to do with him! is that right?
    amazing how some peoples hatred can mask their judgement

i agree ashley didn’t like the europa afterwards but you
    really think pardew sabotaged that season on purpose?

• 159 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:39 AM

Jimmy,
    For a sport that demands competition Pardew was quite happy tof concede it.

• 160 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:44 AM

jimmy nah your right there but others see him as the devil as he got on with it instead of quitting would love to see the same people if they were set a challenge for a few million quid turn the oppertunity down he was at the end of the day the lowest payed probably in our history
    even the most outspoken player on the planet has said he was a good manager and thats after leaving us under him in unsavoury terms
    but how many of the players he had here have gone on to better things in our best squad ever?

arfa eventually lets see how he does
    cabeye failed now back with him
    santon now at inter but been whored out
    debuchy total fail

nope i can’t think of 1 actually but yeah i forgot they were all pardewed weren’t they lol
    best squad ever!! hahaha bloody hell

• 161 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:56 AM

hows mbwia done since?
    marveaux and ober have they got clubs yet?
    same with saylor
    and raylor
    willo seemed to do alright at wolves so did gosling at bournemouth, wat about guthrie and perch?
    bartons done ok since aswell i suppose
    enrique well looked great in a keeper shirt apart from that unbelievably shite

• 162 Mister Tuff // Jul 30, 2016 at 2:06 AM

Mr Tubbs…………………………………………..OOT
    Space Cadets………………………………………OOT
    King Percy Dance Troupe…………………….OOT
    University Boilermen…………………………..OOT

• 163 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM

jail am i right at 158 then?
    is that wat you think?
    is that your theory?

• 164 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 2:26 AM

here’s the mood of some fans after pardew left seems the same as me unbelievably to the lot on here

• 165 manxpie // Jul 30, 2016 at 2:57 AM

i reckon the tony pulis fella is mr tuff

• 166 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:47 AM

Florian Thauvin, (what a name, just quietly) do yourself a favour, roll your sleeves up and get stuck in, you effete nancy boy. It’ll do you, and your career, a power of good.

• 167 Veltmann // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:57 AM

Jail – In fairness, manx didn’t try to tell his love for Pardew,far from it.He was stating the true facts actually saying blaming all things on him for the underperforming of the team is way out of context.It goes deeper than that as we noticed last year for instance that some players didn’t give flyers/not good enough and were responsible for the failure of the football club.

• 168 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 7:16 AM

Why is Ian Toon critisised and Geordie2 not. Neither is entirely sincere, yet both tease out out a valid point of view, views. Let him post, and argue the football.

• 169 Mag52 // Jul 30, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Manx.

Don’t bother trying to get the anti Pardew crowd to admit to anything in favour of him on the football side of management, because their beef with him has always been their opinion of him as a person, and this has and will always cloud their judgement.

• 170 hibbitt // Jul 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM

lets move on start of a new season possibly a new beginning for our great club lets look forward not back and just enjoy the ride
    good luck toon army