The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is Where Newcastle Are Much Better Than Promoted Hull

9:12 am, Friday, July 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

21-year-old new arrival Isaac Hayden has given some interviews today and he’s said he has learned a lot from Rafa Benitez in the short time he’s been at Newcastle.

And Isaac had the opportunity of playing at Hull last season and helped Steve Bruce’s side get promoted by winning the play-off 1-0 against Sheffield Wednesday at Wembley.

Although the Geordie manager surprisingly resigned from Hull earlier this week – it looks like because of his utter frustration the club had not signed any new players this summer.

isaac hayden ireland smiling

Isaac Hayden – Newcastle are better at passing the ball

Isaac thinks we have some very good players at Newcastle and he is able to contrast the current Newcastle side with the Hull City side who were promoted last season.

He pinpoints the specific area where Newcastle are superior:

“The main difference between this team and Hull City last year is that we at Newcastle pass the ball a lot better than we did at Hull.”

“I think if we get the ball down and if we want to play football – one or two touches – and maybe on a few occasions against Southend we played too many touches.”

“Yet overall we played it around nicely and got a few passes and moved on from there.”

“If we play like we have been during pre-season and take it on a notch in terms of moving it a bit quicker in some certain areas, then I don’t think we’ll have any problems as there are some quality players here.”

“It’s quite comfortable in there but again it’s still early days for me and I’m still getting used to my team-mates.”

“I’ve only really played with Rolando before at England level, so I’m still getting used to my team-mates but it’s been good so far and I’m enjoying it.”

“I’m learning every training session, the manager’s been fantastic for me personally and obviously for the team.”

“I’m just trying to learn as much as I can, integrate further with the team and work towards getting wins which we need.”

“For me it’s about progressing as a team and moving forward, which I hope we will do.”

It will be interesting to see if Isaac can make the starting lineup against Fulham in a week’s time in what is our first league game in the Championship for over six years.

In fact, with so much competition a key area will be who the two holding midfielders will be – and certainly Jonjo Shelvey looked good against Southend on Tuesday night.

He’s cut out those Hollywood passes.

We’ll get a clue tomorrow with the starting line-up Rafa puts out against Vitesse in our final friendly of pre-season and our first at St. James’ Park.

We’ll take special note at how Newcastle pass the ball tomorrow.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Friendlies · Isaac Hayden · Newcastle News

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Didn’t McClaren want to make us more of a “passing” team? That worked well. Forgive my cynicism. Let’s just hope we are a “better” team. I think that would be a worthwhile ambition. To be a better team.

• 2 ToonRich // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:58 AM

If the Knockaert bid is true; and we’ve had an £8m bid rejected, the reports are suggesting Brighton want £10m…I can see this deal getting wrapped up swiftly if he’s the man Rafa wants 🙂
    Also rumoured to be looking for 2 more strikers!!

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 29, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Blackley

“Toby Jugderwiereld”

You win. 😀

• 4 WWSBRD // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Tbf Hull is burning down as a club atm whereas we have just put ours out…they are still in a better league than us though

4-5 players to come in? LB, CB, two wingers and a striker would do me

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Blackas,
    It doesn’t have to be under 25 anymore either.

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Its about time we unearthed a Payet (although technically we did but decided he was too much) or a vardy or a mahrez. Players like that win you things.

• 7 ToonRich // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Would anyone take Mo Diame along with Robertson from Hull?? He’d make a good replacement for Tiote if he leaves, and bring some height and strength to the team…

• 8 ToonRich // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Cheeky bid for Bastian, hes now available from ManU!!

• 9 nufc 11 // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:19 AM

if were going to pay 10 millon for knockheart why not go to 12millon for robbie brady? can play LB or LM we should sound him out. Like Paddy McNair from Utd can play CB or DM and Joel Campbell?

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Here’s an idle question: as it stands, who within the squad is a welded-on certainty to start against Fulham? And I say “as it stands” because we don’t absolutely know who might come and go before then.

previous post: Newcomer Explains Why He’s Already Improved Considerably

next post: This Player To Become Newcastle’s Seventh Summer Signing?