Newcastle have been linked with Spurs midfielder Alex Pritchard for some time now and Newcastle were listed as favorites to sign the player only a couple of days ago.
Other Championship clubs including Leeds United and Wolves are interested in the play-maker and Swansea City and Middlesbrough from the Premier League would also like to sign Alex.
Pritchard is available for transfer after Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino said he was surplus to requirements and can leave the club after the 23 year-old was not included in the Spurs squad that jetted off for their tour of Australia last Friday night.
23 year-old Spurs midfielder Alex Pritchard
Newcastle are trying to get the midfielder to Tyneside, but it seems one problem could be the fee which is listed at £8M or £9M depending on which reports you believe.
Lee Charnley is busy trying to get a good deal for the England U-21 International.
Rafa Benitez said Newcastle were close to some singings last Tuesday night after the 2-0 win at Southend United, but nothing much seems to have materialized over the last three days – at least not in the news.
But Alex has to be one who we are close to signing and he could well become the 7th summer signing for Rafa Benitez.
Here’s some information we have built up on the 23 year-old:
- He was born in Orsett in Essex
- Pritchard began his career in the West Ham Academy, but then transferred to the youth setup at Tottenham Hotspur in June 2009
- He was on loan at Peterborough for half a season in early 2013 and made 6 appearances
- Alex then had a loan spell at Swindon in 2013-2014 making 44 appearances and scoring 6 goals
- He was on a season-long loan to Brentford in the 2014-2015 season and played 45 league games scored 12 goals
- Alex was named in the Championship Team of the Year in 2015
- The Englishman has been capped 9 times for the England U-21 side
What do you think?