The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Win 3-2 – But Defense Shaky – Video Of All Goals

5:06 pm, Saturday, July 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

After Newcastle seemed to be cruising this game and were 3-0 up at half-time, Vitesse came back in the second half and scored after 53 minutes after Newcastle had continued to play some good football in the second half.

It was on-loan Chelsea midfielder Nathan, the Brazilian who scored following a corner and then just 8 minutes later it was 3-2 when Vitesse captain Guram Kashia hit the ball home from inside the box following a free-kick.

Rafa Benitez who couldn’t have been too happy with the goals then made four changes to try to shore things up – on came Gamez, Shelvey, Aarons and Armstrong in place of Hanley, Colback, Ritchie and Perez.

dwight gayle scores

Players congratulate Dwight Gayle after second goal

The goals conceded both came from set-plays – a corner and a free-kick – and they were very sloppy goals to concede – Rafa will not be pleased with that.

It’s a weakness we have had for a number of years with the Newcastle defending – it’s been our Achilles heel – and it looks like Newcastle relaxed at the start of the second half and paid for that – over confidence perhaps?

Hope not.

After 74 minutes Sterry, Saivet, Gouffran and Mitrovic replaced Janmaat, Anita, Hayden and Gayle.

The game ended 3-2, but we’re sure Rafa will have something to say about conceding those two goals, when we looked to be in complete control of the game.

The defense still seems to be too porous at times and it will need to be tightened up considerably – and even when we are 3-0 up, we cannot take anything for granted.

But we won the game – and that’s good.

Newcastle had surged to a 3-0 interval lead with the first goal coming after 22 minutes with an own goal from Kelvin Leerdam, who deflected a shot from Dwight Gayle into his own net.

Newcastle were 2-0 up after 36 minutes and it was Dwight Gayle who scored after some good work from Ayoze Perez.

And then after 41 minutes Newcastle went 3-0 up and it was Jack Colback who headed the ball into the back of the net, from an excellent Ayoze Perez cross.

It looked to be plain sailing at half-time, but then two defensive lapses and it was 3-2 after 61 minutes and cause for concern.

It was interesting that Florian Thauvin, who Lazio want to sign, did not play in this game and was an unused substitute, along with Darlow and Tiote.

Teams:

Newcastle: Sels; Janmaat (Sterry, 74), Hanley (Gamez, 62), Lascelles, Dummett; Hayden (Saivet, 74), Colback (Shelvey, 62); Anita (Mitrovic, 74), Perez (Armstrong, 62), Ritchie (Aarons, 62); Gayle (Gouffran, 74).
Subs not used: Darlow, Tiote, Thauvin.

SBV Vitesse: Room, Leerdam, Kashia, Kruiswijk, Ota, Nakamba, Baker, Vako, Rashica, Zhang, Nathan.
Subs not used: Van der Werff, van Wolfswinkel, Dauda, van Bergen, Osman, Oude Kotte, Tornes, Houwen, Koryan, Faye, Foor.

Goals: Leerdam (og) 22 Gayle 36, Colback 41, Nathan 53, Kashia 61

Referee: Sebastien Stockbridge

We won four of our five games in pre-season – scored 17 and conceded 4 – but it doesn’t really mean too much – the real games start on Friday at Fulham.

ClubLocationDate and KickoffResult
Won 3-2

Here are all the goals.

Tags: Friendlies · Match Reports · Newcastle News · nufcTV · Pre-season

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Slank

Thanks. Somebody described me as a junior senior!

• 2 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Slank, I think you’ve misinterpreted what I’ve said about matches being available to everyone. Just meaning that if the technology is developed, it should be available for everyone to enjoy.

• 3 Slank // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:11 PM

I would like to hear from anyone attending the game.

Was the first half formation likely to be the starting lineup against Fulham or are there more tweaks to be done by Rafa ?

• 4 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Let’s look at the positives, 11 games unbeatable!

• 5 Slank // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Laurent

I accept your apology.

• 6 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:14 PM

No bother 🙂

I’ve watched games when I was living abroad. Up through the night to watch them. Needs to be done 🙂

• 7 ShirebrookToon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Let’s keep the unbeaten run going in the championship

• 8 Slank // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Ron @ 1

You know when you have become a fully fledged old fart is when someone spontaneously gives up their seat for you on public transport !

When it happened to me it took me quite a few seconds to realise what was happening that I nearly declined the kind offer.

• 9 tomellifred360 // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Creating a Fantasy Football League if anyone is interested.

76984-188980

• 10 nut meg // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Congrats Ron & welcome to the old codgers club, enjoy every minute.

• 11 davetoon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Cant believe first game on already on Friday. First game so important to set the standard. These pre-season games will mean naught come Friday.
    Good to see Gayle getting in on the action as I assume he is Rafas man in the 9 position. Maybe Perez will start 10 if we don’t receove a cheeky bid for him this week.

• 12 Ron Knee // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Slank

That’s a shocker!

nut meg

Looking forward to a disgraceful old age!

• 13 Lindisfarne // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM

BOOHYAAR!!!

• 14 MacToon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Ian Toon, you don’t KNOW me but here you are yet again name dropping looking for an argument. You really
    are a sad individual.

If Ed does check through here, I have not posted since the end of the season and for a reason only known to Ian
    Toon, he has used my name to troll your great blog, yet again.

• 15 martoon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Slank I’m on my way home from the match. I reckon the system was Rafas normal 4 2 3 1 with Colback and Hayden as the holding two. Probably the starting team is close to the one next Friday. I was impressed with the new guys Gayle Richieand Hayden.

• 16 davetoon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Interestimg that Shelvey didn’t start. I remember his first home game for us against West Ham when he looked like a world class player and then struggled to ever get back to near those heights. Was hoping Rafa saw a way to extract his talent

• 17 Belfast // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Well this pre season has been a lot better than last years farce which set the tone for last season.

• 18 Slank // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Martoon

That’s good to hear. My money is on Hayden to be the real surprise package.

I wonder if Gayle is first choice No 9 or whether he is just keeping it warm for when Mitro returns. They seem to be totally different in style.

• 19 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:51 PM

So Thauvin doesn’t even rate a few minutes. An unused sub. What does that tell us about him? Surely he’ll be moved on.

• 20 Ian Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Amidst another winning friendly we’ve had Laurent espousing his idea of the theory of Marxism! Which if nothing else maybe explains his well declared views on Ashley. Not that I am prepared to give Ashley a clean slate because he approved the appointment of Rafa Benitez. He still has to fulfill his promise for us to punch above our weight financially. This could well not happen until we secure a return to the PL but during this next week with a winger and creative /ST being the priority to secure this might well go a long way towards achieving.

Ashley had further promised to provide us with a team that would enable us to win something. Winning all our pre- season games doesn’t do it and the real test starts next Friday.

So no prostrating in thanks just yet. That might come when Ashley fulfills his promise to run the club with sporting achievement as its goal.

• 21 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM

How old are you then Ron mate? It sounds like a 65th? I’m getting close myself. People actually call me sir now and then 😆

• 22 Ron Knee // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:54 PM

G2

Sixty-six and (almost) two thirds!

• 23 Slank // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:59 PM

GeordieTwo

‘..call me sir now and then..’

It won’t last !

I know as I retired at 57. Best move of my life.

If you have health and wealth it’s a good life.

• 24 Ian Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 5:59 PM

MacToon- I thought Laurent resembled your style and he seems to be linking me in with various miscreants.

• 25 Our Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Are we zonal marking from corners?

• 26 Ian Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Yes we are. Benitez favours zonal marking.

• 27 Slank // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Our Toon & Ian Toon

Surely the question is ‘are we marking at corners’ !

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Miscreant in the singular.

• 29 mindshaft // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Didn’t realise we were such a bunch of old gets on here – am retiring in Feb just before my 56th
    Totally looking forward to it

• 30 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Aye Slank I retired at 57 as well mate. It probably added years to my life. I was really suffering at work. Beaten down and exhausted. 66 Ron mate! You don’t sound a day older than 65! 😆

• 31 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Well done mindshaft. I didn’t realize we had such a bunch of grey beards either! See you all on the next post.

• 32 Ian Toon // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Ritchie’s goal was rather fortunate but I hope the guy who said Jack Colback saw his headed goal.

• 33 Essex Geordie Bill // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I’ll be happy if we won all of our games 3-2, however I’m expecting a shedload off
    clean sheets, especially if its Chancel and lascelles as our centre backs.

Martoon

Ist, 117 points, Man of the season Shelvey, top scorer, Goufron 24 goals.

Final League cup. FA cup Semi finals.

• 34 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Just got in from match

cruising first half two sloppy goals second half – defence a worry!!!!!

Man of the Match Anita for me by a mile
    Nathan for them…

My assessment:

Sels: jury’s out shouts at defence which I like but shaky at corners high balls into the six yard box
    Dummet – shaky start but grew into game looked better when went centre half.
    Lascalles – class act going to get better
    Hanley – first impression OK – but looks slow on the ball and likes to hit it long
    Janmaat – Same old same old – great going forward defending not the best

Richie – looks a good buy – always the outlet ball wants the ball good crosser
    Anita – Absolute outstanding today – some of his passes were superb –
    Colback – same old gets the ball and passes but again to much fouling and niggling opposition for me
    Hayden – class act going to be a another good asset
    Gayle – boy is he quick always on the move – going to catch keepers out with his pressing, not bad in the air and took his goal well.
    Perez – tried but looked a little boy lost.

subs:
    Saviet – did ok would keep
    Gamez – absolute TOSH
    Sterry – looks a good player in the making
    Gouffran – Did well but oops missed a chance to score (missed the ball)
    Aarons – to many tricks for me with no end product
    Armstrong – sorry lads – ain’t ready yet needs to go out on loan again not sure if he is going to make it – hope I;m wrong
    Shelley – nowt special – lost a lot of weight