The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Youngster Looks To Shine After Frustrating Season

12:16 pm, Saturday, July 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Two years sago in pre-season and in the first few games of that season in 2014 Rolando Aarons looked terrific and we thought here’s a real emerging star at Newcastle.

But injuries, mostly hamstring injuries, have prevented him from playing too many games since then and he has appeared only 17 times for Newcastle with 3 goals over the last two years.

rafa benitez rolando aarons

Rafa Benitez with Rolando Aarons

The Jamaican-born 20 year-old seemed to recover towards the end of last season and against Spurs in that last game in the second half  he looked great.

He scored one and then made one for Daryl Janmaat towards the end of the game, as we got that terrific 5-1 win.

Rolando has had a good pre-season with Rafa Benitez seeming to see his vast potential – and he has been talking to NufcTV:

“It has felt such a short pre-season, it’s gone through quite fast. It’s been hard but decent as well.”

“Spurs was obviously a good way to go out despite the disappointment of being relegated. We ended on a high and we are looking to start the campaign the way we ended the last one.”

“It was a frustrating season for me obviously. Not having many games and playing in a different position – but it was nice to play in my position at the end and grab a goal.”

“So the manager knows what I can do and hopefully get a chance this season to play more games in my position and impact on games.”

“I have had a decent pre-season again and this year I’m just looking to take it into the season. Get a run of games and show what you can do.”

“This is obviously a big year with more games, so Rafa Benitez is going to have to use more players and that means more opportunities.”

“Not just for me – but Jamie Sterry, Adam Armstrong and a lot of other players who don’t get a chance when we only have one game every week.”

It’s a big opportunity for Rolando this season – and it looks like he may get the start at Fulham next Friday night when we kick-off the Championship season.

And we expect him to start again this afternoon when SBV Vitesse visit St. James’ Park for our final friendly game of the summer.

Having Rolando Aarons in top form and injury-free in the coming season would help Newcastle an awful lot in getting one of those aromatic promotion spots.

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Rolando Aarons

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:19 PM

This kid’s really good.

• 2 hibbitt // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM

just has to stay fit

• 3 hibbitt // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM

jimmysmith

where do you live in Japan ?

• 4 SUTTY1978 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Repost

84SUTTY1978 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Kin kart looks reasonable at Championship level but doesn’t look a patch on Tom Ince. How many would pay £10m for Tom Ince? Not many. For a winger to score 5 in a season at that level is below par. He’s certainly not the best winger in the division.

JIB, what point were you trying to make, if Benitez hasn’t seen him, he hasn’t seen him. Your imaginary script of a conversation that no doubt didn’t happen between two blokes who happen to both be Spanish is a bit ridiculous.

• 5 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Nagoya, before that Osaka, both great. To be honest the place has saved me three times now.

• 6 geordiesteve520 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Are there any streams for this afternoon?

• 7 SUTTY1978 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM

If this lad stays fit he will be in the team of the year

• 8 kilcline // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:29 PM

@Sutty1978

It was half a season pretty much for Knockaert last season at Brighton, he is a genuine threat and by far their best player.

Arrons could easily play for England, I hope he stays fit and gets a new 5 year deal!

Henry or Targett please
    I would take Anichibe if he was on the cheap, good back up in the Championship.

I expect Belfast will have more pearls of Wisdom to share today too, always a pleasure….

• 9 jazzyp // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Jazzyp,
    You’re totally right, we should in no way shape or form get carried away with the double UEFA manager of the year and multiple trophy winner Rafa Benitez taking on our basket case of our club. His rewriting of the transfer policy, upgrading of all the facilities and demanding and gaining concessions from a man determined to ru(i)n a club his way should be no reason at all to get excited. Until we actually get promoted we should be very sceptical of Rafas motives of wanting to be here.

Glad you agree lad

• 10 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Sutty

I’ve been going on about ince since before the window opened but others on here don’t agree with us.

He’s had 2 very good seasons in the championship. Probably the best winger in the league.

• 11 funlovingexpress // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I really like aarons but he spends an awful lot of time on the treatment table.

I hope he has an injury free season. I hope the same for De Jong too as he could also be immense for us but neither are any good if they are continually coming back from injury trying to gain match fitness never mind sharpness.

Is De Jong fit today?

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Jimmy,
    Have you read Shogun?

• 13 kilcline // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM

De Jong has a great brain but is to slow, certainly not physical enough for the prem league.

Should try and involve him in a swap deal with Jetro Williams, we would still pay more wages than he gets in Holland.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Nice one jazzyp

• 15 jazzyp // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Why thank you Jail

• 16 Ron Knee // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM

I haven’t read any reports on Nitro recently. I know he hasn’t had a lot of game time but he hasn’t managed a goal in open play. Isn’t he our main fret? Should we be worried?

• 17 Bobbybee // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Ha! He’s turned up here so Blyth can take a body swerve! 😉 It’s all about opinions football. I really rate Knockaert but struggle with Ince’s consistency. Would I take him? Yes. Would I take him over Knockaert on a one to one choice? No. Doesn’t mean I’m right though. I like a player that gets me off my seat and Knockaert does that for me.

• 18 funlovingexpress // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Kilkline I always wanted him here. I always saw him as a Nolan type player just better.

Yes he is about as fast as Nolan was but intelligence makes up for it.

I have no doubts that he can handle the physicality of the championship and premiership. The problem he has had is his injuries and not being able to find form because of them.

He is the type of player who gets stuck in, leads from the top end of the pitch and makes intelligent ball after intelligent ball.

I think this season is his make or break though. He needs a season injury free. The lad has been the unluckiest player in probably our history when it comes to the types of injuries he has had.

I dont think he has had the same one twice

• 19 Toonda // Jul 30, 2016 at 12:58 PM

• 20 funlovingexpress // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Ron knee Gayle is our main threat. He will score a boat load in this division. I would rather Armstrong play with Gayle than I would Mitro.

If Gayle and Armstrong could form an understanding it could be goals a plenty.

Mitro will be used like Crouch was at Liverpool IMO.

He will be brought on near the end to implement completely different tactics or kill the game.

The problem is Mitro has just as much chance of getting sent off as he does killing a game.

• 21 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:01 PM

jimmysmith – have you spent time in Qld.? I thought that’s where you were for some reason

• 22 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM

James Clavell, no, picked it up a few times though and thought about it, briefly. Quite the weighty tome, more power to you for getting through it. Not quite War and Peace, but still quite the f@cken read. I just read the blog, and occasionally the Guardian, football. The Woman in the Dunes by Kobe Abo is very good for those who might like an easy and intriguing introduction to Japanese literature. Tokyo Story if you prefer cinema.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM

I really don’t understand why people feel the need to put dampners on the excitement created by the signing of Benitez. The first time since KK came back that we’ve felt genuine optimism that club might be about to achieve something other than PL survival and people find reason to complain. I guess some people just like to snipe for the sake of it.

• 24 jimmysmith // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Yeah, grew up in Brisbane. Played in the reserves at Brisbane Lions when the first team had a backline of Ontong, Hermiston, Bennett and Niven, and that’s about it. Once played against Charlton Athletic and a certain Rob Lee for North Qld, and nearly beat em. Trained briefly with George Best, Bob Latchford and even Willie Henderson at Lions. All of them playing as guests.

• 25 Bobbybee // Jul 30, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Jimmy, next time you pick it up mate, read it. Brilliant book. So are his books about Hong Kong’s early days – Noble House. Brilliant. Right, time to go, SJP is calling. Enjoy.

previous post: Newcastle Want To Close Knockaert Deal This Weekend

next post: Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Vitesse?