The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle 3 Vitesse 2 – Video Highlights

9:29 am, Sunday, July 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Here are the highlights of yesterday’s game at home to Vitesse, with good shots of all the goals.

We need a win on Friday night at Fulham to get off to a good start in the Championship.

Tags: Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Video

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:33 AM

i think that’s why i respect rafa so much, like sbr he’s a true gent of the game.

Forestieri, Knockaert and Rico Henry and we’re good to go.

Our toon,

Not sure you can say rafa exactly failed at Real, Inter or Napoli.

FIFA Club World Club Cup, in December 2010 with Inter Milan.

Italian Super Cup, August 2010 with Inter Milan.

Italian Super Cup, with SCC Napoli in December 2014.

Italian Cup, with SSC Napoli in May 2014.

Joint 2nd and reached CL latter stages with Real when sacked.

If that’s failure, can we have some of that please.

While we’re at it

UEFA Europa League, with Chelsea FC on May 15, 2013.

Community Shield, with Liverpool FC in August 2006.

FA CUP, with Liverpool FC on May 13, 2006.
    European Super Cup with Liverpool FC in August 2005.

UEFA Champions League, with Liverpool FC on May 25, 2005.

UEFA Cup with Valencia CF SAD on May 19, 2004.

Premier League (La liga), with Valencia CF SAD in May 2004.

Premier League (La liga), with Valencia CF SAD in May 2002

• 2 Fostino // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:33 AM

If we get this Brighton winger then I expect to see thauvin leave. Goofy will a decent back up for the wing positions with Arrons..Ritchie as starters

Think anita and hayden good pre season has splet the end of tiote too. We have saviet too who won’t go so soon after signing and colback.

Hard to call rafas view on riverie seeing as he has not been involved pre season. I suspect he is on the for sale list along with bigi. .Sammy. .vuckic although one of those might take their one last chance.

I still have serious reservations about lb . I have not seen Jesus play but I suspect he is a Rb? Janmaat coukd play rw then? I think anita is emergingas a very good player under rafa but he is not an lb. I like dummett but again I think he is a better cb. This leaves haidira who might be a half decent championship player but too injury prone and not good enough for the Pl. Sterry a Rb too. If we buy a l.b. I think we have a very solid defence then for the coming season. …Very solid.

Unfortunately I think we will have no option but to sell sissoko either which means we are short a midfielder too. Creativity and drive in the middle might be a problem as I don’t think shelvey..sdj have that.

• 3 james589 // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Disappointing to see us concede 2 cheap goals from set pieces. Was hoping Rafa would have stamped that out. No guesses what they’ll be working on in training this week 🙂

Ah well as win is a win and we are unbeaten since 9 April – not a bad little run we are on. I know own the quality of opposition hasn’t been top notch this summer but I am hopeful Rafa has started instilling that winning mentality.

Looking forward to the new season kicking off on Friday. Hopefully a face or two through the door in the meantime as well.

• 4 outside the box // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM

fostino…agree with comments….gamez from what i saw looks a steady full back probably better on right …i have feeling mbemba will play at rb with gamez /sterry covering back 4….a creative midfield player would be nice …and as of last post number 9 shirt not filled….really impressed with hayden …looks the biz

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Fostino,
    We need a LB but finding the right one in our predicament is the tricky bit. The other players signed with Championship experience Rafa obviously thinks they can do the business in the PL as well. Maybe he hasn’t been able to identify that LB yet, I’d be more than happy with a youngster from City or Chelsea EU surplus mountain.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Otb,
    If Armstrong has to go anywhere it must be another Championship club, sending him to a league rated 20th in Europe or whatever it is now will do him no good at all.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:45 AM

23rd.

• 8 Average_Contents // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Jizz stain – from a few threads ago.

Really? What a knobber.

Seeing as you’ve lived in Liverpool you’ll know that getting the ‘lip on’ is a term used for throwing a strop/having a paddy/throwing toys out of the pram/acting like a child when upset.

Caught out again you spunktrumpet

How many times is that now. You’ll soon be approaching iantoon’s status of legendary gobshite.

• 9 outside the box // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:50 AM

jail agree about level but
    wouldn,t like to see him play for competitors…is scottish premier that poor …a six month loan with lee clark mentoring him could be just what he needs

• 10 Fostino // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Outside the box

I suspect the no.9 jersey won’t be filled this windows but I am hoping in the next 2 windows where we are looking premier league bound might attract a big name to fill the jersey or better yet a local star might emerge to take it. Out of the current crop armstrong..perez. gayle. .mitro..toney have a chance to get it and perez shoW’s most promise

Jail for Ashley.
    Very true about not finding the right lb yet. It’s just a shame we don’t have another sterry emerging but in the l.b. slot. For now dummett is first choice l.b and again rafa could work his magic on him. I do like dummett

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Otb
    It would of course have to be a team not pushing for promotion and it might come in very handy if he starts doing the business against our rivals. I wanted him to stay here but now I don’t want him to stay at the expense of a proven scorer.

• 12 SUTTY1978 // Jul 31, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Rotonda, looks quite impressive as a CV, but his achievements will always fall in the shadow of Pardew and the now infamous 2010 Johnstones paints Trophy triumph.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 31, 2016 at 10:00 AM

How has Liam Gibson been playing in pre season? I presume he will have been with the U21’s, but I seem to remember him travelling with the first team a couple of times under Rafa at the back end of the season. He is a young left back, who the club supposedly have high hopes for.

• 14 SUTTY1978 // Jul 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM

On Left Backs, I would have thought Mbabu would have been in the senior squad for the Vitesse game. Seems to be fit now. He’s a shoe in for me.

• 15 jazzyp // Jul 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Fostino

Do you think Gayle will the forward we have been looking for ??
    Maybe a success in the Championship, But not the Pl ??

Would like your thoughts mate as i didn’t get to see any of the game yesterday

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Sutty,
    Mbabu isn’t a left back though.

• 17 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2016 at 10:11 AM

I reckon Dummett will be fine at LB in the Championship. He’s not real quality, admittedly, but at this level he’s fit for purpose. I think you can say that about this group in general. They won’t take all before them in this league, but they’ll be competitive and should be in the promotion mix come crunch time.

previous post: Lee Clark On What Newcastle Must Do To Be Great Again