The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Manager Rafa Benitez Shows He’s A Class Act

1:57 pm, Monday, August 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez is a class act and that has not gone unnoticed by Newcastle fans.

It turns out that one of his former clubs SSC Napoli is celebrating its 90th birthday today – Società Sportiva Calcio Napoli were founded on 1st August, 1926.

S.S.C._Napoli_logo.svg

SSC Napoli – 1926 – 2016

Rafa was manager there from  May 27, 2013 until May 31, 2015 and he had some success in Italy.

In his first season in charge Napoli finished 3rd in the league with 78 points and they won the Coppa Italia by beating Fiorentina 3-1 in the final.

In that same Rafa took Napoli to the round of the last 16 in the Europa league but lost to Porto 3-2 on aggregate.

The next season Napoli finished 5th in the Italian League and reached the semi-finals of Coppa Italia losing 2-1 to Lazio on aggregate.

Rafa had Napoli in the semi-finals of the Europa League losing 2-1 on aggregate to Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk of Ukraine.

Not a bad two seasons at Napoli for Rafa.

Rafa was invited to the celebrations today but was unable to attend and the top Italian club have posted the letter he sent to the club congratulating them on their 90 year anniversary:

“Today, before the intense day of work that lies ahead at Newcastle, I want to send a double message directed to the city of Naples and to SSC Napoli.”

“The club now turns 90 years old and I would like to convey to all, the President, the Directors, society, coach, players, technical and medical staff, members and supporters, my most sincere wishes for this event and the future that awaits you.”

“I want to say thank you for the friendly invitation that was sent to me for this special event. I feel honoured and happy to have received this call for which, I repeat, I want to say thank you.”

“Unfortunately, I had to convey my inability to attend the event, which takes place in the week on which our competition starts and for that reason, with regret, I will be absent.”

“With affection and on this special day, happy 90th birthday SSC Napoli.”

This man is just a class act.

Benitez has been busy with the Open Day at St. James’ Park today.

Tags: Championship · Europa League · Newcastle News · Other News · Pre-season

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Lee Ryder:-

Expecting more business from #nufc on top of Mo Diamé. Things picking up again transfer-wise. Could be up to four more arrivals.

• 2 JP...from The Rock // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Nice of him to send them that warm message. Onto NUFC matters, I really hope we sign Diame after matching the £4.5m clause.

• 3 robertsleftfoot // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM

4 more?? I cant see it like.

I would think 2 max and that includes Diame

• 4 jayphoto // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:13 PM

seen the training day photos, Grant Hanley is an absolute behemoth! Looks like he should be running the doors rather than the back 4…

• 5 expatmag // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM

ROBERTSLEFTFOOT

If Sissoko Thauvin and Tiote leave, I think it us fair to say 4 players coming in as replacements is accurate

• 6 jayphoto // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:18 PM

could see 4. Players can leave until sept 1st, and I imagine we’ll have a couple still that could move on and need replacing. Before then we could lose Janmaat, Thauvin, Tiote, Sissoko. We probably need another striker, another centreback and possibly a right back if janmaat goes and potentially a left winger.
    Reckon theres something in Knockaer rumours,
    Knockeart, Diame, A striker, a CB a RB would be 5 players and be quite realistic. Reckon we’ll be more or less done with signing for the first team after knockeart though

• 7 Our Toon // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I’m firmly in the camp of Shelvey is shite, Mr Hollywood pass is only good for that and makes him look better but never takes control of the midfield in a game.

• 8 G // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I’m not in the ‘Shelvey’ is sh1te brigade, however, I am in the Shelvey should prove he can do it in a black and white shirt brigade. The jury is still out on him, he is skilful, and he has shown glimpses of this, and yes, on his day he can power an accurate pass the length of a field. Yet to see him master the basics of team play for us yet though. I for one hope Rafa utilises him well and he proves he was a bargain.

• 9 tomellifred360 // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Creating a Fantasy Football League if anyone is interested.

76984-188980

• 10 Jib // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Martoon

Final League Position – 1st
    Final no. of points – 101
    League Cup round – Q-F
    FA Cup round – Semis
    Player of the Season (Blog) – Shelvey
    Top goal scorer (TGS) – Mitrovic
    No. of goals for TGS – 21

Well done for all the effort Martoon

• 11 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Another sincere gesture from Rafa. What a great change to have him in change.

• 12 Budge123 // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM