The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Gives Rosy Picture Of Behind The Scenes At Newcastle

9:25 am, Monday, August 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Last season Newcastle did almost everything wrong in pulling off something that was very difficult for a club that spent £80M on new players – and that was to be relegated.

Not only that, but the side at times were atrocious and put in some of the worst displays seen for some time – think Manchester City away (6-1), Crystal Palace away (5-1) and Chelsea away (5-1).

🙁

The general consensus was that we were so bad – especially that porous defense of ours – that we probably deserved to take the drop.

lee charnley rafa benitez

Lee Charnley and Rafa Benitez – a good partnership

However, enough of all that bad news stuff.

Since Steve McClaren was finally fired in March – far too late to save us – Newcastle have done almost everything right.

Yes, we know that comes as a significant shock early on a Monday morning – but it also seems to be true.

🙂

One thing that was immediately apparent when Rafa surprisingly arrived on the scene in March, was that he had a good relationship with Managing Director Lee Charnley who did all the negotiating to get him to Newcastle.

Even when we were still relegated in May, Lee then negotiated for around two weeks (in communication with owner Mike Ashley) to offer Rafa Benitez all the assurances he needed to stay on at Newcastle in the second division of England on a three year deal.

Somehow, we persuaded Rafa to stay on and that literally shocked the football world – it certainly shocked most Newcastle fans.

We are already reaping the significant benefits of that – with record season ticket sales and a real sense of  belief among Geordie fans everywhere.

The good news is that things seem to be working very well behind the scenes this summer as Rafa today has given us a peak into what goes on day-to-day with him, Lee Charnley and his terrific coaching staff.

“I like to have a very good relationship with the Secretary and the Managing Director.”

“I talk almost every day with Lee Charnley, and we discuss about what we want to do. I talk with the scouting department and I am in contact with them.”

“I talk with my staff and I am in contact with them. I like to share my opinions and receive the opinions of the others.”

“Then in the end we will have everything clear between me and Lee and the communication is good.”

“It’s not about being the boss,” “It’s just to make sure that we do what we want to do and we try the best for the club.”

“It is not about me saying: ‘No, I want to do this.’ And it’s not about Lee saying: ‘No, I want to do this.’

“Lee is sensible, I am sensible and we will do what we have to do to improve the squad.”

OK – well that even seems like a very well run organization and it really does seem that Rafa is enjoying things on Tyneside – after all it’s a  massive opportunity for him too.

There’s just one thing we have to say about all this – keep it up!!

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · Pre-season

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mackems are from MORDOR! // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Is it just me or does everyone else read every statement from Rafa in a spanish accent???

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Te quieromos Rafa!

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:28 AM

And he never even mentions biscuits once!

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM

M.a.f.M.

No, its not just you 😀

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Yo tambien MafM

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Who’d have thought even Churners is looking a little less repugnant in the Rafalucion!

• 7 WWSBRD // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:34 AM

JfA
    I disagree, respectfully of course but still

• 8 WWSBRD // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Diame as a replacement for Sissoko though? I don’t see the comparison. Also didn’t he hugely go off the boil at West Ham, hence his move to Hull?

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM

WW…,
    I had a closer look, you’re right he’d make a decent looking gargoyle!

• 10 WWSBRD // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:40 AM

JfA
    That’s better I was worried about u for a moment mate haha

• 11 southeast magpie // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Bit late to the party.
    Final League Position – 1st
    Final no. of points – 98
    League Cup round – SF
    FA Cup round – 5th Round
    Player of the Season (Blog) – Lacelles
    Top goal scorer (TGS) – Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS~19

Thanks to Martoon!

• 12 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I can’t forgive, I can’t forget. Charnley is still Ashley’s obsequious little thrall, and the architect of our relegation. Charnley out.

• 13 WWSBRD // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM

martoon
    Well go on then it’d be rude not too

Final League Position – Champions
    Final no. of points – 102
    League Cup round – QF
    FA Cup round – 4th Round
    Player of the Season (Blog) – Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) – Perez
    No. of goals for TGS – 23

• 14 hibbitt // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Jail for Ashley

don’t you be going soft on us
    we need someone to keep there feet on the ground

• 15 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Need a bucket load of signings….

However no signs of anybody signing…which I must admit is a bit worrying…Need that Creative player we don’t have..

Judging by the Vitesse game we are still piss poor at the back after all of that. Need an experience CB which we don’t have not kids.

• 16 WWSBRD // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM

gorgon
    Barring the bids for Diame (en route to Town now) and the Brighton lad?

• 17 Nufc-83 // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Wwsbrd it depends what do you see Moussa as a RM? If so then yes diame is not a replacement but for me Moussais a central box to box type in which Diame would be a direct replacement. I only remember Diame being outstanding for WH and so if he did go off the boil then that would explain his move to hull.

• 18 Ron Knee // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Wouldn’t Diamé be involved in AFCON?

• 19 lesh // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Mackems

You shouldn’t be surprised that you’re reading Rafa’s comments with a Spanish accent – Ed writes them with a Spanish lilt!

• 20 WWSBRD // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Nufc
    When was the last time Sissoko played box to box for us? CAM and RW consistently so that’s the hole he would leave imo and the inbound Diame isn’t going to get there

• 21 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Diame will be an awful signing: Geremi and Amdy Faye rolled into one. Just awful. Starting to worry about the type of player we are bringing in. Championship club, horses for courses – I get that, but it’s a pretty uninspiring bunch overall.

• 22 welshgeordie9 // Aug 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM

George Caulkin
    George Caulkin – Verified account ?@CaulkinTheTimes

Diame release clause has been met and he’s en route from Hull to #Nufc today. Another may follow later …
    1:47 am – 1 Aug 2016

• 23 Ian Toon // Aug 1, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Welsh- Well done Buster. It’s from a reputable source.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Issues Another Warning To Wantaway Players