The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Striker Wants 20 Goals Next Season – Raring To Go

12:46 am, Monday, August 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Dwight Gayle will be our main striker for at least the first four games this season since Aleksandar Mitrovic is banned – a ban he picked  up with just over 20 minutes of last season left,  when he was sent off against Spurs at St, James’ Park.

Dwight is one of the new players brought in by Rafa Benitez to help us get promoted at the first attempt back to the Premier League.

dwight gayle scores seocnd vitesse

Dwight Gayle scoring on Saturday against Vitesse

The 25-year-old was signed from Crystal Palace for £10M this summer and is hoping to get in the 20 goal, bracket for Newcastle this season – and that would be very good.

This is what Dwight Gayle has said to the local press:

“Most strikers want to get in the 20 goal bracket,” “Hopefully, I can do that this season. We will see where we go from there.”

“Coming to St James’s Park for my first game just showed again to me just how big this club is.” “It’s perfect for me to be playing my football here next season.”

“There are several things that made me swap the Premier League for the Championship next season. I’m certain this club will only be on the up from now on, and that is only going to be a positive.”

“We have a great manager with great experience.” “I was surprised when I came in just how positive everyone is around the place.”

“It didn’t feel like a team going in to the Championship from the Premier League.”

“There was a great atmosphere and we are all just excited for the new season. We are raring to go.”

“Everyone has been at it in training, raring to go and everyone wants to get in the team for the season ahead. He’s a great manager, a great tactical manager and I will learn a lot from him this season.”

“It’s a tough season made harder by playing two games in a week.”

“There are some great teams in this division. I’m sure there will be some great teams fighting for promotion, and it will not just be a one-horse race, I’m sure.”

“Obviously, we have great players other than Mitro, and everyone’s fighting for their position,” said Gayle, whose pace created problems for Vitesse in United’s final pre-season friendly.

“Whoever the manager picks, I’m sure will be good enough to do the job.”

Gayle has played in the Championship before so he knows exactly what to expect, along with another three of the players Rafa signed for Newcastle this summer.

All four players – Dwight, Isaac Hayden, Matt Ritchie and Grant Hanley are British.

The first real test for Newcastle is at Craven Cottage on Friday night and the game will be shown on live TV in most places around the world – one of the few games that will be in the coming season.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Dwight Gayle · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Other News

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Aug 1, 2016 at 12:48 AM

I hope they BOTH score 20+ goals – the only winner is NUFC!!!

Bring it on!!

• 2 Termijn // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:46 AM

Martoon
    Final League Position: 1st
    Final no. of points: 110
    League Cup round: 4th
    FA Cup round: Semi Final
    Player of the Season (Blog): Lascelles
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Mitrovic
    No. of goals for TGS: 27

• 3 lesh // Aug 1, 2016 at 2:55 AM

Rafa’s taking to the media pretty well every day. Does he ever go home to see Mrs Rafa?

• 4 lesh // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:00 AM

And, nowt to do with matters football but I’m listening to a recording of Fred Tackett and Paul Berrere playing at the Cluny in 2008. Wish I’d been there.

Anyone out there at that gig or at the one the did at the Little Theatre with any thoughts on them?

• 5 Son of Geordie // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:13 AM

It is nice to hear that the vibe is positive in the team. With sissoko coming back I hope it remains this way until he transfers out, and continues thereafter.

• 6 Son of Geordie // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:19 AM

Rafa will probably rotate mitro and gayle, one game each taking turns. Have Armstrong and dare I say it gouffy, or his replacement if he had s transferred out this summer, coming in off the bench in the second half.
    It is good to have some depth if either of them gets injured or red carded ala motto.

• 7 Son of Geordie // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM

Mitro not motto. Damned auto correct.

• 8 Son of Geordie // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:23 AM

Still think we need another proven championship striker brought in, young enough to develop into a premiership striker.

• 9 Son of Geordie // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:27 AM

Lesh at #3
    I remember reading somewhere that sleep is for those that don’t want to be successful. Maybe Rafa is one of those booked who can get by with minimal sleep and still function at 100%.
    Me personally, I need r and r to operate on all cylinders.

• 10 Son of Geordie // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:29 AM

Crikey, blokes not booked.
    Auto correct again. Will start re-reading my posts before publishing.

• 11 NUFCPaul // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:50 AM

If Gayle can stay injury free and the rest of the team can supply the balls, then I can see him getting at least twenty goals, no bother. It’ll be interesting to see if Rafa does rotate strikers (or other positions for that matter) if a player is on fire. It’s easy to lose your rhythm if you’re in and out of the team, but you also have to avoid burning out over the course of a long season in a physical league. If anyone can handle the pressure it’s Rafa. We’ll be okay.

• 12 lesh // Aug 1, 2016 at 4:09 AM

Son of Geordie

Indeed, sleep and success go hand in hand. Without the former, fatigue can detract from the latter.

I’m knackered – despite sleeping for England!

• 13 posada // Aug 1, 2016 at 5:47 AM

If we sign another CB don’t be surprised to see Mbemba on his way.

• 14 DubaiMicky // Aug 1, 2016 at 6:21 AM

We’re going to walk this league, break our points total, and maybe even get to the League cup final – and win it.

• 15 G // Aug 1, 2016 at 6:26 AM

Whilst I am confident we will achieve promotion, I am not complacent it will be as easy as some believe it will. Given how the last few years have gone, regardless of results achieving promotion via any means, including play offs would be a success in my eyes. If we do walk it as some suggest, then I will be dreading the Jan transfer window.

• 16 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 1, 2016 at 6:48 AM

Newcastle United transfers: Magpies have bid for Hull’s Mohamed Diame – according to source – strong midfield player – one to replace Sissoko?!?!

• 17 G // Aug 1, 2016 at 6:50 AM

@16, if thats a genuine one, he would be an excellent signing.

• 18 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 1, 2016 at 7:07 AM

G
    Hope so!

• 19 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Aug 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM

• 20 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Aug 1, 2016 at 7:13 AM

GOOD NEWS

• 21 Nufc-83 // Aug 1, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Is this the same Diame who was at West Ham? If so he is a beast and was one of my favourite players in the prem I am very surprised he ended up at hull and not a top club. Sounds silly when he’s coming from hull and sissokho is off to a top team but I think he’s a massive upgrade if it is the same player.

• 22 martoon // Aug 1, 2016 at 7:38 AM

Hi Guys
    It’s that time of the season you’ve all been waiting for – it’s prediction time. Similar to last year but I’ve changed a couple of the categories:
    Final League Position
    Final no. of points
    League Cup round
    FA Cup round
    Player of the Season (Blog)
    Top goal scorer (TGS)
    No. of goals for TGS

Can I stress – if you do enter could you put martoon in your post which makes it easy to search for.
    Jib – probably open until, say, Thursday night

So far I have predictions from
    martoon
    welshgeordie9
    YoungMagpieFromBurnley
    dannitoon
    Tsunki
    jimmysmith
    Termijn

Apologies if I’ve missed you but if so could you post them again and please put martoon in your post so I can find them!

• 23 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 1, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Gayle

Biggest surprise to me was how good Gayle is in the air – for a little lad he can jump to a canny height hang in the air and a decent header of the ball. Reminded me a little bit of West Germany’s Uwe Seeler many moons ago

• 24 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 1, 2016 at 8:06 AM

MARTOOOOOON
    Final League Position: 2nd
    Final no. of points: 96
    League Cup round: 6th
    FA Cup round: 4th
    Player of the Season: Isaac Hayden
    Top goal scorer: NEW STRIKER if one comes in (if got to name a player: GAYLE)
    No. of goals: 21

• 25 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 1, 2016 at 8:11 AM

And my Premiership Predictions
    Champions : Man City
    Runners up : Man Utd

Relegated: Sunderland, Hull, Middlebrough

Championship champions: I think Norwich might pip the TOON –

• 26 jasper // Aug 1, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Martoon,
    Hope I do better than last time.
    Final League Position. 1st
    Final no. of points. 98
    League Cup round. QF
    FA Cup round. 5th
    Player of the Season (Blog). Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS). Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS. 23

• 27 Mag52 // Aug 1, 2016 at 8:17 AM

Martoon.

I’m not on your list, so I’ll post again, with one slight revision if that’s ok.
    Final position: 5th.
    Number of points: 75
    Top goal scorer: Gayle
    Number of goals from TGS: 14
    League Cup: Quarter Finals
    FA Cup: 4th.Round.
    Player of the season(blog): Lascelles.

Thanks Martoon.

• 28 nico // Aug 1, 2016 at 8:29 AM

Final League Position – 1st
    Final no. of points – 102
    League Cup round – Q-F
    FA Cup round – 4th
    Player of the Season (Blog) – Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) – Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS – 24

• 29 davis_toons // Aug 1, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Still gutted to lose Georginio Wijnaldum to liverpool.

A Goalscoring Midfielder – Klopp
    (plp this is a midfielder that score double digits every season and created alot for mates just to missed)

He never turns up on away games?
    Is he playing football alone? Or was it a team game?
    (No wonder he went to a club where he NEVER WALKS ALONE)

Was he poorly manage AGAIN?
    Yes. The poor former manager did not even know where to place him. Did not even have an idea who was his best team.

Considering his first season and everything new to him in a new country new environment; his performance was excellent.

We are not here even talking about him leading the team. He is just a team player a squad player. Not good enough?

What about talking about Arsenal Star Players Ozil, Sánchez or some some English above average players like Chamberlain, Walcott and some others are even injury prone like Wilshere. Do they perform day in and out?

If comparing to our very own Star Players like Shelvey…Georginio Wijnaldum any day.

I just hope more players like him will come around again. (buy cheap sell high-what more do you expect?…even if you were to keep players like that for 5 years they would still create sell off value for the club..they will never be deadwoods running contracts down, eating up all our cash)

• 30 CAC // Aug 1, 2016 at 4:43 PM