The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Comes Across As Very Down To Earth

9:22 am, Tuesday, August 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Matz Sels was interviewed during the Open Day at St. James’ Park and he has revealed he turned down offers from Premier League clubs to join manager Rafa Benitez at Newcastle United.

The 24 year-old joined us from Gent for around £5M and Matz was the first signing of the summer for Rafa.

And it was unexpected since we seemed to be well off for goalkeepers, but with both Tim Krul and Rob Elliot recovering from serious ACL injuries it’s turned out to be a good move by the manager.

matz sels 98

Matz Sels – Newcastle goalkeeper

And it looks like Sels will start in goal for Newcastle on Friday at Fulham, although Karl Darlow has also looked good in goal for us during pre-season.

This is what Matz has said:

“There was also a few teams from the Premier League that was interested, but Newcastle is a really big club,”  “It’s strange that they were relegated, but that’s football.

“I heard about the interest from Newcastle, had a talk with Rafa Benitez and was convinced of my choice.”

“It’s a team that doesn’t belong in the second division. Normally, it’s always a Premier League team – a top club in the Premier League. I was convinced of my choice.”

“I’m looking forward to Friday and the first game.” “In my career I always try to go step by step. Newcastle is a big club, so it’s a good step forward for me.”

“Hopefully, I can bring the team where it belongs.”  “I think in every club you have a lot of good goalkeepers,” “Now here, there four or five good goalkeepers.”

“That’s good for the competition between us. I have to show that I’m worthy of playing.” “Hopefully, I can learn a lot. That’s the most important thing.”

“I think I’m the youngest, so I try to listen to the coach and the goalkeeping trainer Simon Smith.” “That’s what I can do and show myself in the games and in training.”

“I’m 24 now, which is still young for a goalkeeper.” “I have to improve a lot of things. Hopefully, I can do it here. The best way to do it is when you are playing.”

“It’s a Monday, so it’s crazy that there are a lot of fans.” “There were a few thousand. I heard in Belgium that the fans are fantastic.”

“There are a lot of tickets already sold, so that means that it has a lot of ambition. Hopefully, I can help bring this team to where it belongs.”

Matz comes across there as a young player who simply wants to improve his game at Newcastle.

He could become the number one goalkeeper at the club, but he will face huge competition from Karl Darlow and from Rob Elliot when he’s fit again.

We’re not sure of what will happen with long term number one Tim Krul, but 19 year-old Freddie Woodman, who signed a four year deal yesterday, will likely go out on loan for the season – to get first team games.

Matz was linked with Southampton and Middlesbrough, before he decided he wanted to play for Rafa Benitez at Newcastle.

He seems a smashing last with a first class attitude and should do very well at Newcastle.

Hope so.

Tags: Championship · Freddie Woodman · Interview · Karl Darlow · Matz Sels · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spoof // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:24 AM

If we get Borthwick-Johnson from Manure, which I doubt due to how he was first choice until an injury disrupted his progress and being only 19 year old I would imagine that Manure would only allow him to leave on loan and I get the distinct impression that Rafa doesn’t want to do loans as he seems determined to build for the future, but if for some reason Jose doesn’t rate him and does allow him a permanent move then that would leave us with 3 specialist left backs which is one too many, so who would go, Dummett or Haidara, hopefully it would be Haidara as he is always injured and I doubt that Rafa would rate Haidara anyway due to him being very attack minded, Rafa does seem to prefer his fullbacks to be good defenders first and useful at attacking second, so could it be B-J in for Haidara, it would be a great bit of business if we could pull it off.

• 2 Spoof // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:32 AM

This is what Rafa has said when talking about players who’s futures are still a bit unclear, like Janmaat for example

“In the end it depends on us. What I want is players 100% convinced they have to stay here and compete and win. If they cannot they may need a month or two to realise where they are. No rush.”

he certainly doesn’t take any shit does he, he will bring some much needed discipline and he will be respected for it.

• 3 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Reports abroad claim that Madrid will offer Newcastle two young players who Benitez knows from his time in Spain.

One is Marcos Llorente, the 21-year-old midfielder who has appeared for Spain under-19s.

The other player mentioned is Mariano Diaz, a powerful 23-year-old forward who scored against Chelsea in the International Champions Cup in pre-season last week.

Zinedine Zidane said that he wants Diaz to get minutes on the pitch next season and will look to loan him out next term.

It is not clear whether they would be loan moves or permanent deals

• 4 Ron Knee // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Charlie

Would this be for want-away Sissoko?

• 5 martoon // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Spoof @1 – It may be just me but you seem to have a lot of double-entendres in that last paragraph 🙂
    I saw your changes to your predictions and I have amended them. Incidentally thanks for your offer of help but I think I’m OK. I designed a spreadsheet last year to record them all and with a few tweaks this year it’s a pretty simple process to search for predictions (which is why it’s important to put martoon in the post) and then transfer them to the spreadsheet – it takes me about an hour each evening. The spreadsheet then calculates mean, mode etc. to give me a set of average predictions which I will post when completed.

• 6 SPRINGY // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:42 AM

martoon
    i was thinking the same about spoofs comment!lol

• 7 Mr Funk // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Not too keen on Ciaran Clark for £5 million.

I would rather go for Charlie Taylor who has handed a transfer request and is probably available for £5-6 million

• 8 martoon // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM

On the subject of Clark I always thought he was quite a decent defender but playing in a poor team – but then again I thought Saylor was OK 🙂
    Seriously I’m quite surprised he would want to move to what is a similar size club with a similar history when he is a Villa lad – probably the Rafa factor I would guess?

• 9 Spoof // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:49 AM

martoon

cheers for doing the changes

basically what I was saying is that getting Borthwick-Johnson on a permanent deal to replace Haidara would be a great bit of business, but I doubt that Manure would sell, I expect them to loan him out.

• 10 SPRINGY // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM

charlie
    just been having a look at diaz on the dennis wise scouting network,the seems to have a knack for goals and looks an instinctive finisher,granted the opposition maybe poorer though but looks half decent…not a fan of loans myself.

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Sky sports tweeted 20 mins ago that hull have again offered mo diame a 3 year deal, but they already daid he was having his medical here. Wtf goes on?

• 12 martoon // Aug 2, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Spoof @9 – I knew that – I was just messing. You are right replacing Haidara with Borthwick-Johnson would be an excellent move – not sure who would take Haidara though with his injury record?

• 13 Mr Funk // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:00 AM

If Knockaert is a no-go, would a £10 million offer for Tom Ince be worth a try?

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Funk

Not sure about ince. He seems to have faded into obscurity in the last year or so

• 15 expatmag // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:05 AM

FUNK

• 16 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Sels doesn`t drink I believe.

• 17 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM

• 18 Mr Funk // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Tom Ince stats for last year was 42 games, 12 goals and 7 assists – he was mainly played on the right wing but can also play on the left – NTB stats

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Thats a recent ish story, not the one that broke last night. They seem desperate to keep him

• 20 JamesToon // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Charlie Taylor from Leeds has handed in a transfer request, surely we have to go and snap him up now!

• 21 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Funk

Not bad stats, but we just haven’t seemed to have heard much about him recently. Some suggest he has the dreaded attitude problem, too. We haven’t been linked at all this window so i doubt we’d go for him. You never know, though.

• 22 Mr Funk // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Seems like Ciaran Clark is coming – BBC journalist Pat Murphy is saying he is on his way after £5.1 million offer to AVFC

If not Ince or Knockaert – who would be a good option?

How about Joel Campbell on loan from Arsenal – with option to buy?

• 23 SeanNufc87 // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:11 AM

So assuming we get these 2 and assuming the two – three we expect to leave, leave, who are the 25 registered players?
    1. Sels
    2. Darlow
    3. Krul or Elliott (expect one to be sold)
    4. Woodman?
    20. Anita
    21. Goofy
    22. Ritchie
    23. Gayle
    24. Mitro
    25. Arma

… That leaves a lot of names out: manu, toney, mbabu, saivet, Vuckic, not to mention all the young players. I think a few more may be leaving before the window shuts.

• 24 one fine day // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Mr funk,
    Tom ince,
    No thanks.
    Didn’t he knock us back a couple of years ago?
    Or was that another of the old smoke n mirrors policy better known as .. ” we couldn’t get them over the …etc etc”?
    Think he was another youngster who was overhyped ,badly advised,and belived he was a lot better than he actually was.
    Sad ,as under a better coach and with a better attitude he may have had a decent career in my opinion.

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Funk

Campbell might be worthba punt in the champs. He hasn’t managed to get near the Arsenal first team lately, so they might be looking to get rid.

• 26 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Ron Knee
    Yes part of the Sissoko deal – Don’t ask me how it will work?

• 27 Mr Funk // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:17 AM

@ James

Take the £5 million for Clark and put that to Taylor

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:21 AM

If Clarke is deffo coming, then that automatically makes Dummet the starting LB (whether we like it or not) Clarke is going to be 4th choice CB and LB cover probably. Gamez and Janmaat fighting it out at RB (unless Gamez gets the nod as starting LB). Either way, we have have enough defensive numbers (if not quite the quality in depth we wanted) to start the season. If we get these two spanish kids from RM, then we should have enough in MF and FW to be good to go. Like I keep saying, we can probably bolster quality in January because we SHOULD be a more attractive prospect as promotion favorites bybthen

• 29 one fine day // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Wasn’t Campbell on loan at Villarreal last year?
    Don’t think he was that impressive but a loan with guaranteed buy may be worth a shout.

• 30 Oldgit1 // Aug 2, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Ycmiu= Campbell has already been told by wenger to find another club, I’m surprised no premier league club has come in for him yet.

There must be something in his makeup that are putting teams off him. I always rated him.

previous post: Diame Traveling To Newcastle For Medical Today