The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Interesting Comments From Rafa During His Radio Call-In

7:21 pm, Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 171 Comments

Rafa Benitez has just finished the Radio Newcastle call-in show with Mick Lowes where Newcastle fans had the opportunity to call in for an hour and ask questions of the Newcastle manager.

It was a fascinating call-in and Rafa did reveal some things that we had not been aware of before and of course fans could listen from around the world since it’s all available on the Internet.

We have put together some of the interesting points – but every fan should listen to the call-in once it’s available from Radio Newcastle.

rafa benitez smiling

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

Here are some of the points we found interesting and not in any particular order:

• There will be an announcement tomorrow at 9:30 am when the club will announce the new captain for the season and what the numbers will be for the players.
    There were two players who wanted to wear the number 9 jersey and Rafa suggested a competition to determine who should get it – but the players decided between themselves ho will wear the number 9 jersey – so somebody tomorrow will get the number 9 jersey – and Rafa said he knows all about it – and that Alan Shearer was once the iconic number 9 at Newcastle – of course.
    But does he know who Jackie Milburn is?
  • Rafa was asked a couple of times why he decided to stay at Newcastle and he said what basically he has  said in the past – it was mainly because of the way the fans had related to him.
    He also looked at the club and how massive it was, so those are the two major reasons he decided to stay at the club.
    Rafa also mentioned that when he met with Mike Ashley the owner told him that he wanted Lee Charnley and Rafa to basically run the club together.
  • On Ayoze Perez he said he thought his best position is behind the main striker – the number 10 position – but Ayoze will also have to be prepared to play in other positions – like on the wing.
    He mentioned that Newcastle had indeed received two offers for Ayoze during the summer with one of them being quite a big offer – but the club turned them down because they want to keep Ayoze.
  • Rafa was asked the difference between Liverpool and Newcastle since Liverpool has two clubs and Newcastle has but one.
    Rafa said when he first went to Liverpool they got a great reception from the fans, but he pointed out they were winning from the off at Liverpool and he won the Champions League there in his very first season in 2005 at Liverpool.
    He pointed out the difference at Newcastle was that the fans wanted him there after he had arrived and  was basically losing because he was not able to save Newcastle.
    That’s one difference that Rafa and his coaches saw.
  • Rafa has brought in players who he thinks are young (if you are 26 you have 10 years left) but can grow into Premier League players in the future and that’s why he has offered most of them five year deals.
    Rafa said if we are promoted then it’s obvious that Newcastle will have to buy more players.
  • On the goalkeeper situation he brought in Matz Sels because Tim Krul and Rob Elliot would not be fit in August and it could take a few months before both are fit and well again.
    So by the end of the year Newcastle could have five goalkeepers all competing for the first team position, but he’d rather have that than be short of goalkeepers.
    He mentioned maybe in January he can send out young Freddie Woodman on loan, but it doesn’t seem any goalkeeper will leave Newcastle in August.
    Tim Krul could still win back the number one jersey – or Rob Elliot could win the number one jersey – it will be based on performances and any one of four goalkeepers can win the jersey – he said Freddie was too young.
  • On Moussa Sissoko he said that if he has to go then OK – as long as Newcastle receive the right offer for him, but if he has to stay that’s good too – because Moussa is a good player.
    Rafa said he liked Moussa as a player and he also  likes him as a person and he has talked to both the player and his agent on the current situation and thinks Moussa will be professional – whatever happens.
  • The name of Rafa’s home in Liverpool is Lindisfarne – and he said he did want to visit Lindisfarne in Northumberland  and his wife is a bit of a history buff and has been telling him of the history behind Holy Island – Rafa says he must visit Lindisfarne and fairly soon. Here’s some history on Lindisfarne – and there will (could) be a test on it at the end of this week.
  • Rafa said he hasn’t talked to the new Sunderland manager Davide Moyes – mainly because they are both busy in a hectic pre-season – but they usually meet up and talk at the LMA meetings and that’s when he meets and talks with the other managers in the league.
  • Rafa still wants maybe another three players brought in, but it looks like Rafa has given up on Anthony Knockaert of Brighton  because it seems Brighton – who are a rival for promotion – will simply not sell him to Newcastle.
  • Finally Rafa was asked a few times what his long terms goals are for the club and he said a couple of times – winning at Fulham on Friday. He is so pragmatic and didn’t want to talk too much – other than about this season and getting promoted.
    But he did say that he wanted to build a team that could compete with any team  and you can take that as if he wanted to build a tip-top team in Europe – it would need to be that if we can compete with any team in the future.
    Although Rafa didn’t say that – I did. 🙂

here’s the link to BBC Radio Newcastle.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Transfer News and Rumours

171 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Unbelievably honest interview, it was totally live as well, normally they have a seven second seven delay to stop swearing

• 2 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Such a breath of fresh air!!

• 3 WWSBRD // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:30 PM

2 new signings and a radio interview…this new NUFC is unsettling similar to a football club, has anyone checked on the round man from down south with illegitimate lineage?

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Makro was saying similar things that sounded good and positive. The difference is that Rafa has the CV and is much more likeable. If he can’t get it right, who can? That’s why the fans will have a massive amount of patience with him. I think Rafa will need it too because it’s not going to be easy. Certainly I’d be surprised if there aren’t any difficult times, with possibly a run of defeats, and Rafa will be severely tested.

• 5 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Rafa’s broadcast
    You’ll have to join the prog halfway thru

• 6 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Jail is 1 hr 13 seconds in or thereabouts

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Old Blackas won’t be making any bold predictions at this stage other than a top 8 finish.

One of Rafa’s new boys is moving in next door so I’ll have to be careful what I say and cut the lad some slack if need be. Rest assured I’ll be giving him some pointers, and I can only see him going from strength to strength.

I’m so much looking forward to the start of the season, especially to see the new look team on TV on Friday. I’ve got a ST for Huddersfield Town this season too so I’m hoping to get down there on Saturday.

• 8 Belfast // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Video killed the radio star!!

• 9 WWSBRD // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Jail is famous now? Jesus wept

Just listening to the interview now and I still love Rafa haha

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:56 PM

The interesting part of Rafa’s response was that he’s made some big mistakes on transfers. I love his honesty.

• 11 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM

That should be 1 hr 13 minutes 30 seconds

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I thought it was a good question, would have preferred the delivery a bit better but I don’t spend every day on the radio!

• 13 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:01 PM

I couldn’t listen to it live. Listening now as it’s archived.

• 14 WWSBRD // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Haha it was a good question explains why Gamez and Diame didnt get longer contracts etc

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:02 PM

It was, as I said totally live as well, can you imagine Pardew doing that, he bottled the last one and that wouldn’t of been live anyway.

• 16 BandB // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Thank you Jib. I’d have hated to miss Jail for Ashley on the wireless.
    Jail, you did well to remember your name.
    I sometimes forgot mine.
    The only thing I can compare with is that moment when the teacher catches you laughing, and asks you to share the joke with the whole class.

• 17 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:05 PM

This is the direct link to the archived recording if you missed it:

• 18 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Just seen Jib’s post with the link as well.

• 19 Ron Knee // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Great Leicester goal.

• 20 martoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Evening guys – last call for your season predictions – I need your:

Final League Position
    Final no. of points
    League Cup round
    FA Cup round
    Player of the Season (Blog)
    Top goal scorer (TGS)
    No. of goals for TGS

Please put martoon in your post so I can find it easily.

So far I have predictions from:
    JP…from The Rock
    El Sleeve
    Munster Mag
    off the ball
    The one and Ayoze 17
    Shot Bru
    Laurent Robert 32

Apologies if I’ve missed you.

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM

That last question’s response is brilliant, hes not taking the Championship for granted at all

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM

We still need a top striker IMO. Reading between the lines, I think Rafa believes that too. Trouble is, of course, they’re hard to come by.

• 23 jane // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Goodness me, genuine turf-scorching pace from Leicester sub Ahmed Musa as he blasts past the last defender, manoeuvres the ball onto his left foot and pokes home.

• 24 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:14 PM

B and B
    Worse than that is eating a dainty , blackjack or midget gem and having to get the packet out and pass it round.

• 25 jane // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:15 PM

martoon i missed who won last season’s prediction competition? wasn’t me as i had Charlie Austin TGS 😐

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:15 PM

I like the way he has told Armstrong it’s better to join a Championship team that doesn’t need to win every game.

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Player of the season Lascelles
    Top scorer Gayle
    At this stage the other categories are pin the tail on the donkey. We can give an informed, meaningful opinion after the first 4 games. In short, I haven’t a scooby.

• 28 even the stevens // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Just wanted to mention a few things, and to touch on what some people said during the phone in and also on the blog in recent times. You can definitely feel a change in the way the club is now being run. It is a lot more open, a lot more communication is happening now then ever has done for a long time. You can tell Rafa is deciding for himself what he wants to say in interviews and not being limited to pre writen scripts. I remember when Steve mcclaren was first appointed manager and he wouldn’t even talk to the press on his way from the ground to answer questions. What a change has taken place. Gone are the days when we were the joke of football thanks to the people running the club. We now have a club and a team everyone is proud of and other fans even envious

I was at the open day on Monday, the atmosphere around the place was terrific, all the staff were fantastic and it was great to see the club putting on such an event for the fans, completely free and was a superb day.

I always have hope and optimism that we can do well but with the momentum building I feel the hope is turning to belief.

Last Saturday I took my 7 month old daughter up to the stadium to get a baby grow ready for Friday kick off so we could watch the football together, I ended up getting her the full strip with name on the back – much to the annoyance of my wife. I can not wait for the start of the new season, it seems the future is bright, hwtl.

• 29 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I don’t see the logic of loaning Armstrong to a competitor.

• 30 ToonTiger // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM

McCormack not moved yet has he? I wouldn’t be surprised

• 31 tomellifred360 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM

NUFC Fantasy Football.

All welcome

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Like he said, to a team that doesn’t need to win every game, a mid table club that he might hopefully take points off our rivals.

• 33 giimps // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Final League Position 1
    Final no. of points 103
    League Cup round 5th round
    FA Cup round qf
    Player of the Season (Blog) Diame
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Gaylel
    No. of goals for TGS 19

I hope that’s in the right format

• 34 Novocastrian66 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:26 PM

martoon; thanks for the update. Glad you got mine as I’m in Greece at the moment with very ropey internet connection and I wasn’t sure it was posted.

• 35 so-far-king-quick // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Reading through the rumors they reckon the mackems have been told to pay 10m if they want januzaj, if he would come would anyone take him ? I definitely would surely worth a look would rather pay 10m- 15m for him then for mccormack even potentional resale value aswell

• 36 BandB // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Swansea SOLD Shelvey to us Blackley.
    And they were relegation rivals (right up to that point, actually)
    I can see the logic.
    He seems to have doubts whether he is a particular prodigy.
    Though I am puzzled that Rafa hasn’t spotted yet that Armstrong is the greatest young player ever…….
    ……….not to manage a single Premier league goal.

• 37 jane // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM

GOAL – Barcelona 3-2 Leicester
    Ahmed Musa
    Posted at
    Whack! You don’t save those! Ahmed Musa chases down the Barca keeper, and then more pressing forces left-back Juan Camara into an error. Jeff Schlupp muscles him out of the way and finds Musa 15 yards out. Right-footed this time, and the same result, Wooshed into the top corner,

• 38 edtheduck // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Thanks for doing this…

Final League Position 1st

Final Number of Points 104

League Cup. Winners

FA Cup QF

Player of the Season blog Richie

TGS Mitrovich

TGS Goals 27

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Rafa, like we all thought has evaluated him and given him a chance. We all heard from the horses mouth that, diplomatically he doesn’t think he’s ready for the sharp end of the promotion battle whereas he might be able to show what he can do at a mid table Championship club just as Andy Carroll did.

• 40 BandB // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Well done Jail!

You managed to avoid calling the single female contributor a “lady caller.”

Not a BBC word, “lady”, Mick.

You’ll get your fat arse singed for that in the morning, Mick.

• 41 even the stevens // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Here’s my predictions

Final league position – 1st
    Final number of points – 108
    League cup round – final
    F.a cup round – 4
    Player of season (blog) – lascelles
    Top goal scorer – gayle
    No of goals – 25

• 42 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Got dragged out to go for a meal with the boss, sorry I mean the missus, so I missed the phone in, if anyone can get a full recording can you let me know as I would love to listen to it.

Tell you what mind, having something like this compared to the fan treatment which we had had to endue for what seems a life time is really great to here, well done Rafa and well done to the club for allowing Rafa to integrate and allow him to answer to the fans

This feeling that I now have about the club is so good that I have to pinch myself to make sure that I am awake and I’m not about to wake up a dream to some silly headline where Ashley is trying to sell the stadium name or something just as daft.

Isn’t it just great to be a Newcastle fan again, our love and our hope has returned again, and boy does it feel good, does it not.

• 43 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Loaning Armstrong to Fulham after Friday wouldn’t be a bad option if they’re interested.

Think he’d have a good chance at being a regular and would be a good challenge for him to replace McCormack. See how he fares until Jan.

Ideally I want him to stay and compete here.

• 44 BandB // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Both the estimable Jib , and the equally estimable Laurent Robert have posted links to the whole shebang above.
    You just need to scroll back about 20 posts on your “smart” phone and it’s there.
    I know. Being under the thumb can rob a man of his capacity for independent action.

• 45 Obafan // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Final League Position: 1st
    Final no. of points: 99
    League Cup round: 3rd round
    FA Cup round: 4 th round
    Player of the Season (Blog): Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Mitrovic
    No. of goals for TGS: 24

• 46 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM

If Arma is going out on loan, I’d like to see him at Huddersfield. I can’t see them threatening us and they’re short of attacking options. But if he starts banging them in …

• 47 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Cheers mate, what do you mean by under the thumb !!!!!!! “aghh, misssus Spoof, yes I will do all the laundry, dishes, cut the lawn, trim the hedges, wash the car, take the dogs for a walk and make your tea for you, but I do that every day so will you please take your foot off my chest and let me stand up”

me under the thumb, as if !!!!!!!!

• 48 simon376 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Here’s mine

Final League Position 1st
    Final no. of points 107
    League Cup round 5
    FA Cup round 4
    Player of the Season (Blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS 23

• 49 toon22 // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:54 PM

My prediction.

They unveil a new striker at 9.30 and give him the no9 shirt,im going for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

• 50 sussextoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Final League Position 1st
    Final no. of points 102
    League Cup round SF
    FA Cup round 4
    Player of the Season (Blog) Aarons
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Mitro
    No. of goals for TGS 26

• 51 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Who wants the number 9 – Mitro for sure and the other Gayle maybe ?

• 52 BandB // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM

It’s a great blog-sustaining initiative and great fun that you have got 100 plus posters, the old, the new, and the voting early and often.
    Total respect.
    I am going to decline. Like Rafa, I believe it is a tough division with little room for error.
    I hope we’ll be promoted. But like Rafa, I’m taking nothing for granted.
    I was never going to win the competition to get killed in the rush to describe the beauty of the Emperor’s New Clothes, was I now?

• 53 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Huntelaar, he was good in his day but is he still up to it ?

• 54 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Great interview. Open, clear, transparent, appreciative and honourable.

So pleased Rafa is here.

• 55 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM

I wonder what his favourite album by them is then?

• 56 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Changing the subject completely to a vulgar subject, wtf are the sad ones doing, if not for McClaren they would be were we are in the championship and where all around them have strengthened and improved all the inbreds have done is sell.

• 57 Pokat // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Final League Position 2nd
    Final no. of points 86
    League Cup round Qfinal
    FA Cup round 5th
    Player of the Season (Blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Mitro
    No. of goals for TGS 18

• 58 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Final League Position: 1st
    Final no. of points: 91
    League Cup round:QF
    FA Cup round: 5th
    Player of the Season (Blog): Perez
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS: 23

• 59 isleofmanman // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Martoon – we will win the championship. No danger.

Thankfully Charnley is now Rafa’s bag carrier – not Ashley’s – so I will resist criticising him. Provided he loses some corporate hospitality lard…

• 60 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:20 PM

is Charnley not the one who made self sacrifices to enable Rafa to have complete control ( takes a man to accept his limitations and hand them to someone who he feels can do a better job than what he can himself) and is it not Rafa who is always telling us that he has a great understanding with Charnley who is helping Rafa as much as he can to do the job which Rafa is currently doing, I think credit where it’s due is in order.

• 61 martoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Jane @25
    The closest last year was Jack who predicted 15th with 39 points with TGS Winaldum with 8 goals

• 62 loonie-toon // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Anyone watching Rooney testimonial on bt sport

• 63 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Here are my predictions martoon mate. I hope I’m allowed to enter.
    Final League Position: first
    Final no. of points: 96
    League Cup round: 6th
    FA Cup round: semi-final
    Player of the Season (Blog): Diame
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Mitro
    No. of goals for TGS: 21

• 64 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM

I remember clearly you saying the Emperor only wore black and white BandB lass. Harrumph….

• 65 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Is the 6th round of the League Cup the quarter or semi-final? Pardon my ignorance.

• 66 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:29 PM

will there be a way, a link of some sort where we can view each others predictions once they are finalised, truth is I’ve forgotten mine already but I do know that I had Gayle scoring 30+ goals.

If not, no problem, it would just be interesting to see the predictions on a spreadsheet so the averages could be looked at, I bet you find the averages interesting, and the predictions with the odd yeah,yeah , yeah I can see that with the odd wtf on you on bonny lad/lass.

• 67 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Charnley is lucky to have any job at all with us spoofy mate. He was dire the preceeding two seasons. Personally I believe he should have been fonged on a daily basis.

• 68 Hugh Jorgan // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Final League Position: 1st
    Final no. of points: 107
    League Cup round:Finalists
    FA Cup round: QF
    Player of the Season (Blog): Diame
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS: 25

• 69 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Martinez new Belgium Manager

• 70 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Is that for real Charlie mate?

• 71 bettyswallocks // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM

BandB…….. How are you tonight pet? I got the distinct impression that some of your earlier comments were slightly misandristic. I know that may sound rich coming from the ultimate misogynist but I would like us all to be one happy family what with the new season just round the corner.

• 72 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:35 PM

On the forecast once again set up by Martoon it looks as though all (as far as I can recall) expect us to be in the promotion shakeup ( lowest position 6 ).

Rafa’s performance tonight has done nothing to dampen my enthusiasm for the new season simply enhanced it.

A manager with an awareness of his challenge at this club and in this division but importantly totally aware of what can be achieved if we all pull together.

He is undoubtedly giving his all, he has Charnley doing the necessary, the club staff are on board, communications have been resumed and we the fans have, are and vitally have to continue to give full and noisy support at every match and keep the faith.

This is no false dawn but it is football and you only have to look at last season and the contrast between Chelsea and Leicester’s fortunes to recognise what can go wrong.

I am not one to usually join in the predictions which abound on here including Ed’s regular match result forecast but this time feel carried on the wave of general optimism to join with fellow bloggers in setting out my hopes for this season and be damned by them if necessary.

• 73 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Yeah just been announced on BBC Radio 5

• 74 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Well said magscar @71. But I still think we should give Charnley a precautionary fonging before the season begins.

• 75 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Unbelievable Charlie mate. I’m a bit shocked. This could make him or break him.

• 76 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:40 PM

The other day I was predicting a 2-0 win for the Toon on Friday, with incoming’s and potential out goings I still think the result will be the same, I also think we will control the game throughout.

• 77 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Personally I prefer a wet kipper for all precautionary fongings. Nice balance, a bit of a sting from the wetness. Perfect for top level pinheads.

• 78 The one and Ayoze 17 // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM

with knochaert looking potentially unlikely now, and our desperate need for a left winger (I dont want to see perez playing there again) who would everybody’s choice be?

• 79 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM

I agree, but we aren’t one or two seasons back, we are hear and we are now and regardless of how major or minor Charnley’s role in getting Rafa here was Rafa is here and Charnley, not Carr, not Rafa, not Ashley, but Charnley has stripped Carr of his transfer input and stripped himself of his own input and handed that input to Rafa, we all make mistakes and some of us learn from our mistakes quicker than others, but Charnley of late has been great, this may sound ridiculous and it probably is, but if you can look at the two previous disasterous seasons under Charnley and class them as being his apprenticeship, but now look at what he is doing post graduation then you have to say he is doing a great job, put it this way, what would you prefer, Rafa and Charnley as they are or get rid of Charnley and replace him, I won’t mention a possible replacement, I’ll leave it as a replacement, for the sole reason that if it was up to me I would keep Charnley because if we do we will get the best from Rafa, could a replacement for Charnley assure us of that ?

• 80 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Hmmmm, I’ll have to think about that spoofy mate. Does that mean no precautionary fonging for example? If I say give Charnley a chance for this season only and then Ashley to confer with Rafa about how he’s done I believe I’m going out for a short walk on a shortish pier. Still I suppose if Rafa is happy for now….

• 81 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:49 PM

I could make it a fairly quick process. Hide in Charnley’s office overnight. Surprise him in the morning before he’s had his tea or Bovril or whatever it is. Just a few vigorous lashings around the cheeks and jowls. Then off before security arrive.

• 82 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:49 PM

I think a good fonging anyway mate, always best to err on the side caution…… Bring out the kipper!

• 83 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Just for what he’s done to us over the last few years you understand.

• 84 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:50 PM

It is food for thought, by the way what is a fonging, sounds like bondage to me ?

Going for a walk at this time of night………………with fonging on your mind…………………now how do you tut and shake your head at the same time on a keyboard, anyway I’m sure you get my drift lol

• 85 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Well said firebug mate!

• 86 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Are you speaking of European fonging or the more lively North American variety spoofy? With European fonging it’s short nasty forehands and the odd sneaky backhander. With your North American it’s a two fisted approach. Kippers in both hands and the full windmill from both. I’m thinking going European first time out….

• 87 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Now the question is… Should I take the kippers out of the freezer to defrost, or fong him with the frozen ones?

• 88 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Now that’s the kind of question I like firebug mate. I believe in being fair first time round so I like to partly thaw, leaving just a hard centre to make it clear we’re not messing aboot……

• 89 B1GSTEVE // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:59 PM

109 points
    lc 6th round
    fac final
    pos diame
    tgs sdj
    no. goals 24

• 90 kikgras // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I’m not always on the blog, hope i can toss my hat in the ring
    Final League Position: first
    Final no. of points: 102
    League Cup round: qtrs
    FA Cup round: qtrs
    Player of the Season (Blog): De Jong (just a feeling he’ll come correct this season)
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS: 18

• 91 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:01 PM

So that would be a full windmill action with a hard centre kipper for past deeds.

sounds good to me marra.

Now how do I get those kippers back of our lass?

• 92 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM

No spoofy mate. Fonging is not bondage. We’re not going to tie him to the bedposts and put a frozen kipper on his knackers. That’s much too good for him. This is more athletic, requiring careful timing, and a sharp eye. Refer to firebugs posts for further details……

• 93 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:05 PM

And people say I don’t take this seriously enough! Harrumph…..

• 94 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM

B1GSTEVE/ kikgras

Siem de Jong?

I would love to see the lad come back firing on all cylinders, love the idea, just don’t think he has enough left in the tank for a full season.

• 95 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM

who is getting fonged, surely Charnley has been given a stay of execution, but what about Moyes and inviting 34 yr old Steven Piennar for training with a view to offering him a deal, actually that may deserve a gold medal rather than a fonging, well from my point of view it does, a winger who is so old he races up to the halfway line and then he’s buggered. heh heh heh

they have to be defrosted, if there frozen they will hurt for a couple of seconds, if they are defrosted it will take numerous showers to get rid of the stench.

• 96 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:07 PM

When I’m stealing kippers from wor larder firebug mate. I just shove some down my pants and boldly go out. The ladies all say I smell a bit fishy anyway…..

• 97 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:09 PM

I just hope your lass doesn’t smell like you lol

• 98 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:12 PM

I’m going for the half defrosted, this way I get the best of both worlds, hard centre to bring oot the bruising, with flappy wings to create that sting and smell.

If you hit him hard and fast enough they recon you can eat em after fully cooked.

• 99 GeordieTwo // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Well, these kippers are starting to thaw lads. Off for a bit.

• 100 bettyswallocks // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:15 PM

G2 In Training–/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MjM4O3E9OTU7dz00MjA-/

• 101 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Don’t think I have the stomach for a fonging anymore but if it isn’t ducking the question and avoiding responsibility I say we leave it up to Rafa to decide. He’s got everything else right so when he is on a roll …. No prevarication you understand.

• 102 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:16 PM

• 103 martoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:18 PM

BandB @52 – No problem it’s just a bit of fun purely optional.
    Spoof @65 – Last year I contacted Ed who said he would publish the results in a blog but although I sent him them he never did 🙁
    I might try again this year but failing that I’ll post them on the blog – incidentally you had:
    Spoof 1 108 5 4 Gayle Gayle 32

• 104 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM

that is just pure evil, I couldn’t wish that on my worst enemy, not even on a sad inbred from down the road, but I do have a hit list of some who post on this blog, so whilst I draw up my hit list why don’t you buy a bigger boat because you will need a hell of a lot of kippers lol

• 105 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:22 PM

hahahahaha Yeah I have one of those lists too mate. If only Carlsberg ……..

• 106 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:23 PM

If Sissoko stays, I bench Gayle for Sissoko

• 107 firebug666 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:25 PM

will die for the toon army

Mitrovic is suspended for the first four games mate.

• 108 even the stevens // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:25 PM

G2, forget kippers.

Give him a clout with a trout!

• 109 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Mitrovic is suspended mate, and with Gamez, Diame, Perez and Gayle as a number ten you have four players playing out of position ?

• 110 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Mitrovic is out for just 2 weeks this is the championship games come thick and fast. Perez wont play no. 10 most of the season.
    Those players can play whre i have put them coz i have seen them play there before.

• 111 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:40 PM

listened to rafas interview again and had a little laugh,at the start when talking about cb’s coming in,he says i read feedback,comments saying we dont need another cb or dummett should be playing cb….(not word for word)but made me laugh coz he is so in to data gathering and feedback i wondered if he had been reading this blog for the last few days…very coincidental… but made me chuckle that he could be on here under a different name??….just a bit of daftness lads.

• 112 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:41 PM

mitro out till 20th august away at bristol,unless theres a cup game between then and now.

• 113 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:43 PM

sorry brighton on 27th…miss read

• 114 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:43 PM

I seen some people really having at dig at Carr on Twitter. Don’t get me wrong he does get things wrong that makes me thinks he takes a guess at times but I have seen him get things correct before anyone else many times.

He has said mitro will be announced the no9 so let’s see in the morning if he is right (not sure if this has been reported from another source though).

• 115 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Mitro is out for four games, yes they can play where you have put them and at some stage they possibly will, I get that you don’t rate Dummett due to having a right back who is there to replace Janmaat there instead of Dummett, the thing is we only had two established fullbacks when Rafa came, they were Dummett and Janmaat, now Rafa has looked at the strengths and weaknesses of the team and the squad and he has bought a specialist right back in Gamez, yes he can cover left back in an emergency but that is not his position, so why has he bought a right back and not a left back, it can only be because Rafa feels that Janmaat was the weak link, and certainly not Dummett because if it was Dummett who was the weak link then Rafa would have bought a left back, so who is wrong about our full backs, is it you or is it Rafa ?

• 116 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Have you never noticed the Spanish twang to my posts lol

• 117 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Spoof could it not be that Gamez is a very experienced player with recent champions league experience willing come to us and the fact he can play in multiple positions is another bonus. I definitely believe Jaanmatt will be the starting Rb and impress again that if Gamez is to play he will play in his much familiar role of lb.

• 118 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Who is willing to pay 35m for Sissoko? I think Ssisoko is staying at NUFC. We are nt desparate to sell.

• 119 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:49 PM

its a good point about the full backs,rafa has looked at all positions and strengthened where he saw weakness and no left back has come in he may rate dummett highly,or he things theres not a good enough or experienced enough full back out there who he can affordably bring in….but the way he’s spent money it would lean towards he rates him to a degree.

• 120 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM

so should it be spoofa?lol

• 121 The Ghost of St.James // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Final League Position 1st
    Final no of points 93
    League Cup Qtr final
    FA Cup 5th Round
    Player of the season (blog) Lascelles
    Top Goal Scorer Gayle
    TGS Goals 26

Good Luck to all taking part

• 122 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:52 PM

we’ll see friday night,who starts at lb and then by christmas who’s the regular.

• 123 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Janmatt will never be benched however poor he will become. Gamez will tussle it out for other positions.

• 124 G // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM

I dont think Dummet has done a bad job at LB. Sure, he aint Roberto Carlos, but he hasnt disgraced himself. I would also like to state for the record that I havent written Haidara off either. Both youngish lads, learning thier trade, under pretty rotten managers… until now. Lets just see how they get on eh?

• 125 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Gamez is a right back mate, yes for Madrid he did fill in there, and he did it very effectively for about half a season or so, I accept that it could happen, only Rafa knows, but as I have said on numerous occasions, surely to god if Rafa was wanting to replace Dummett then he should have signed a suitable left back to do so, if he hasn’t, and I’m serious here mind, but if he has replaced our left back with a right back then I will have to look very closely to exactly what he does with other players because if he has done that then he has been totally unprofessional, and with Rafa I really don’t expect that.

• 126 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Dummett is a good defender. Liability at going forward. Thas why I say he is a better CB but I believe he isnt rated by Rafa at CB. Thats why we have Clark and Harnley bought

• 127 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Haidara and Mbabu are great players but you can never be good in the sick bay. Its done on the pitch. Liability like Taylor.

• 128 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Liability at going forward, he is a defender, defending is his job and he does it well, you said that yourself, we have bought two CB’s and RB because we were weak in those positions, but what about left back, please get off this I don’t rate Dummett band wagon and support your left back and your manager who obviously does rate him.

• 129 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:00 PM

will die
    hopefully dummet will improve going forward,last year must of been a nightmare for whoever played leftback,one its gini,who disappeared in front of him,then perez,then sissoko then whoever else played there,that could’nt of helped…hopefully he gets a regular player in front of him he can work with and his confidence may grow…similar to enrique’s with guti…if not..if we are promoted he’ll be replaced.

• 130 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:02 PM

one week it gini#

• 131 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:05 PM

If Gamez is comfortable enough to play at LB and is a much step up in class than what we currently have how can you make out you will not believe in what Rafa is doing. I think there was a feeling which may still happen that Jaanmatt would be off to a top club but that has not been the case so I’m afraid he will be the first choice rb and your beloved Dummet may very well be dropped to the bench (for the record dummet will start at Lb I just think he will be shifted from the side as the games go on).

• 132 G // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Will die etc… both young lads have been unlucky, maybe you are right, bear in mind Rafa has been addressing the injury concerns though, so hopefully time will tell. For both players I hope I am right, and you are wrong, however, I acknowledge your opinion is valid mate.

• 133 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:08 PM

i believe haidara is due back 27th of august,dont know if thats from injury or availability though.

• 134 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:10 PM

if its injury he could be another 3-4 weeks or so after that for availability.

• 135 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Good point, I never rated Enrique as I thought that it was Jonas who made him look good, and once Enrique left that was more or less proved to be correct.

A couple of seasons back Anita was playing as a right back and my head was in my hands as he was dreadful, Janmaat was out for a while after punching a wall after Lascellas told him he was shyte, Anita was playing right back once again and I was dreading it, this time he had Townsend in front of him who was tracking back and helping him, and what a difference it made as Anita looked ok, now people will say that this is exactly why Janmaat should be our right back, I could see there point but Anita was prepared tp work within a unit and have the entire defence as being just one unit, I have never seen Janmaat attempt to do that.

• 136 Our Toon // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM

In the modern game a fullback needs to be just as good going forward as they do defensively mate. What I will say about dummett is that he’s solid at LB defensively but utter pants going forward. He can’t cross, on the other side we have janmaat who poor defensively, good at getting forward and will chip in with a few goals but he can’t cross either.

I’d rather have a dummett like defender that Janmaat because at least one prevents goals where as the other concedes them due to being out of position / not having the bottle / poor at defending.

• 137 Our Toon // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Before going to bed, Gamez as left back will only cause the same issues as when Santon played in that position, he’ll always cut in and cross with his right foot. If I remember correctly most twisted about this, has something good changed all of a sudden?

Gamez is better off as RB cover or starter as LB is not the position for him

• 138 G // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Aye, reckon Haidara will get his chance in Autumn. Don’t think he has been available under Rafa yet? I might have imagined that though.

• 139 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:23 PM

In your opinion is Rafa a good manager, and in your opinion does a good manager buy a player to play out of position when he could buy a specialist for that position, common sense will say that you cant say yes to both questions but according to yourself that is what has happened, Janmaat is weak when it comes to defending, that will not be accepted by keep it tight and compact Rafa.

• 140 Magpie Myles // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Final League Position – 1st
    Final no. of points – 103
    League Cup round – 4th round
    FA Cup round – 5th round
    Player of the Season (Blog) – lascelles
    Top goal scorer (TGS) – Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS – 26

• 141 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Our Toon

Sorry but your wrong,to get a full back who can do both at the top level would cost about £60m, there aren’t that many around mate so all clubs have to make decisions, do they go for the fool hardy Santon, Haidara, Janmaat type or do they go for the solid Gamez and Dummett type, full backs are not like a loaf of hovis bread, I wish they were but you don’t get the best of both, who are the PL champions and was there right back or any of their defenders for that sake the fool hardy type, no they bloody weren’t, Danny Simpson and co were asked to defend which they did and Gamez and Dummett will be asked to do the same because Rafa just like Ranieri knows how to win football matches and they both know that suicidal full backs won’t do that for you, so this modern day view for me doesn’t work, and unless they are exceptional I doubt it ever will.

• 142 OneAlanShearer // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:35 PM

SUBS: Darlow,Gamez,Mbemba(if not fully fit),Colback,Diame,anita,Armstrong.

• 143 essex mag // Aug 3, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Final league position – 1st
    Final points total – 107
    League cup round – winner
    Fa cup round – quarters
    Player of the season – ritchie
    Top goalscorer – mitro
    No. of goals for tgs – 19

• 144 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 4, 2016 at 12:36 AM

I still laugh at brother Troy and Big Dave who used to mock me relentlessly on Toonsy’s blog for calling them out on their claim that we could never get a top manager under Ashley. It was this assessment that meant Troy was sticking by King Percy. Before Rafa his shout was for Lee Clark. Hahaha.

• 145 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM

OneAlanShearer- I’d be happy with that line-up. I think Rafa will want to play Colback and Anita and (possibly) Diame though. That would squeeze out Shelvey and Aarons and (possibly) Perez. I think we’ll see a tendency to dumbed-down but reliable and workmanlike team selections this season, at least for the early going.

• 146 jimmysmith // Aug 4, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Gamez and Anita are far more accomplished than Aarons and Dummett, and I think both will feature more prominently once the team beds in, and I can’t see Hayden getting a start ahead of Colback. Of course all of those three young will be given their chance, and it can only be a good thing should they take it. Dummett will likely get his at Fulham you’d think.

• 147 Back Door Man // Aug 4, 2016 at 1:17 AM

martoon – why not upload your spreadsheet to Dropbox (or similar ‘cloud’) and then post a link on the blog.  You could also include any analysis there.  Doing this would ‘cut out’ the Man and you’d have complete control of the data and be able to publish stuff when you like;  all you need do is post alerts then we could all go to Dropbox to view.

• 148 U.S Magpie // Aug 4, 2016 at 2:25 AM

Final League Position 1
    Final no. of points 97
    League Cup round Final
    FA Cup round Quarters
    Player of the Season (Blog) Matt Richie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS Gayle 18

• 149 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 4, 2016 at 4:27 AM

Our squad is so much better off now then last season.

Last season:

Gk: Krul, Elliot, Darlow, Woodman.
    Rb: Janmaat, Anita.
    Cb: Coloccini, Taylor, Mbemba, Lascelles.
    Lb: Dummett, Mbabu, Haidara.
    Rm: Sissoko.
    Lm: Wijnaldum, Aarons, Perez, Gouffran.
    Cm: Shelvey, Colback, Saivet, Tiote.
    Am: De Jong.
    St: Mitrovic, Doumbia, Riviere, Cisse.

Gk: Krul, Sels, Elliot, Darlow, Woodman.
    Rb: Janmaat, Gamez, Sterry.
    Cb: Lascelles, Hanley, Mbemba, Clark.
    Lb: Dummett, Haidara, Mbabu.
    Rm: Ritchie, Anita.
    Lm: Aarons, Gouffran.
    Cm: Shelvey, Hayden, Saivet, Colback, Tiote.
    Am: Perez, De Jong, Diame.
    St: Mitrovic, Gayle, Armstrong, Riviere.

Not sure if I have missed anyone out but we have much better depth. I still feel like we are weak on the wider positions so I understand why Rafa still wants 2-3 more players in. Probably a ‘Lm’, a ‘Lb’ and either a ‘St’ or a ‘Rm’.

• 150 lukes26 // Aug 4, 2016 at 4:42 AM

League Cup round: 3rd round
    FA Cup round: 4th round
    Player of the Season (Blog): Mitrovic
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Mitrovic
    No. of goals for TGS: 25

• 152 chicousa // Aug 4, 2016 at 5:02 AM

martoon (forgot to add your userid to my earlier post)

Final League Position: 1st
    Final no. of points: 102
    League Cup round: 3rd round
    FA Cup round: 4th round
    Player of the Season (Blog): Mitrovic
    Top goal scorer (TGS): Mitrovic
    No. of goals for TGS: 25

• 153 JDdubai // Aug 4, 2016 at 6:05 AM

The pessimist in me just think we are onto a hiding for nothing tomorrow.

Everyone expects us to win with all that has gone on, new players in, Rafa, even Mccormack leaving benefits us. Just seems like everything is set up and everyone is a little over-confident.

1st game of the season, Fulham at home has never been a happy place for us, they will be fired up whoever plays, tight ground….if we win then so what, it is expected, if we lose…

Hopefully we show the gulf in class that is on paper obvs, im just wary of over confidence for the first game of the season away from home..

• 154 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Final League Position 1st
    Final no. of points 96
    League Cup round Quarters
    FA Cup round 4th
    Player of the Season (Blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Mitro
    No. of goals for TGS 21

• 155 G // Aug 4, 2016 at 6:53 AM

@152, its Fulham away mate. Last time in the champo it was WBA away, we drew the game 1-1, and the fans had a very low expectation that season. For the record, it didnt turn out a bad year for us at all.

• 156 hibbitt // Aug 4, 2016 at 6:56 AM

Final League Position 1st
    Final no. of points 98
    League Cup round Quarters
    FA Cup round 4th
    Player of the Season (Blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Mitro
    No. of goals for TGS 19

hope were not tempting fate
    good luck toon army

• 157 lochinvar // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:01 AM

Rafa quoted somewhere as “not following up on Knockheart” so maybe will tough that position out until the Jan window ? Alternatively if unsettled then Knockeart could put in a transfer request…

• 158 Bambams // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:10 AM

Rafa has suggested 2 or 3 more players….

I wonder if we are waiting for the cash windfall from the sale of Moussa to help finance.

I know we haven’t spent huge sums due to the profits we made on Gini….

Time will tell

• 159 brklyngeordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:14 AM

Is this for anything by the way?

Anyway how nice would that be if my prediction came to fruition win League and League Cup now that would be coming up with some momentum…HWTL!!

• 160 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:14 AM

We could be waiting a while if that is the case….

• 161 Premiership Manager // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Read through a few of the topics to catch up. Can’t believe how many people are knocking Colback. Anybody who knows anything about football knows that you need balance in a team. You need somebody to break down play, get the ball back and put it back into play. This is what Colback excels at. He’s not an attacking player he never will be. Put too many pretty players in and we will concede. Carrick at Utd does a similar job, he’s not particularly liked by some of the fans but he used to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Colback always gives 100% which is a damn sight more than those last year. As for Shelvey he’ll turn up while we are winning but if it doesn’t go his way he’ll be all to happy to milk the cash cow with total lack of effort and commitment, exactly like he did after his first game and at Swansea.

• 162 Harley // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM

Final League Position 1st
    Final no. of points 98
    League Cup round Winners
    FA Cup round 5th
    Player of the Season (Blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS 20

• 163 JDdubai // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:42 AM

G @154

Difference is that year everyone was talking doom and gloom, press and everyone saying we would do a leeds and not come back up etc.

This year everyone seems to have us mailed on for winning the league, id guess when Ed does a poll for the match tomorrow at least 855 will say they expect a win.

Just seen too many suckerpunches over the years when everyone expects one thing and counts their chickens.

Having said all that, on papaer we should walk the league. But on paper we shouldnt have been relegated either…

• 164 Nufc-83 // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Our toon Santon cutting onto his right foot was not a major issue for me, if he out in a good cross I don’t care what foot he uses and actually a good in swinger will often be more effective than an out.

Spoof I think you are talking rubbish on a number of things there are many defenders who don’t cost 60m that can do s job both ways such as Robertson, cresswell, clyne, rose (not saying we could buy these players but examples who we could have got a few seasons back).

Also on Enrique any Newcastle fan will tell you when he went down to the championship and then back to prem he was a top quality left back it just clear he needs to be bedded in and confident in a team which has not happened at liverpool. Jonas did help him but he was still immense.

• 165 JDdubai // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Nailed on

• 166 beautifulmind // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:44 AM

I don’t think Rafael will change to much from last year given that we were 6 matches unbeaten including thumping spurs. My formation for Fulham would be Darlow
    Janmat lasceles mbemba Dummet
    Ritchie Colback anita aarons
    Perez gayle

For further games
    Janmat lasceles mbemba mbabu
    Sissoko Colback mbia Ritchie
    Perez mitrovich

• 167 Nufc-83 // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:46 AM

Spoof there is w clear difference in opinion so let’s wait and see what happens as for me in a few games everyone will be saying how well Jaanmatt is playing (like he was before last half of season prior). Dummett will start at left back and as we start dominating games (hopefully) he will be terrible going forward and he will be getting abuse and hopefully replaced.

• 168 martoon // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Back Door Man @147 – Unfortunately I don’t have any cloud based accounts – just never got round to it. However I may investigate dropbox.

Anybody who hasn’t entered yet there is still time – no prize just the kudos of being the blog smart *rse 😀

• 169 Jail for Ashley // Aug 4, 2016 at 7:59 AM

Do you have to tell people they’re talking rubbish. You continously post disagreeable posts yet people try to refrain from telling you that you speak rubbish.

• 170 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:01 AM

On the full back issue, a modern day full back at a good level should be able to attack and defend. Primarily though, he has to be able to defend. If he can’t do that, then he is a poor full back regardless of what he offers going forward.

Dummet can defend but is limited going forwards, I much prefer that to the other way round. Dummet’s lack of attacking intent is highlighted more because we haven’t had anyone in front of him that offers delivery on that side for a long time, so the full back is the main supplier of crosses.

I’d love us to sign Robertson as he can do both well, but I’d say it is unlikely we will, and that Rafa will settle with Dummet, Gamez and Haidara as left backs for now, with Clark also able to cover. What we could really do with is a genuine creative wide player on that flank that can give good service to those in the box. That will mask Dummet’s deficiencies to an extent, and still leave us solid at the back.

• 171 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM

We can ignore which foot Santon used to cross with, regardless of left or right his delivery was terrible, and regularly non existent. A career total of 8 assists from an attacking full back is an awful return when you factor in that his defending was pretty poor as well.

previous post: Official – Mohamed Diame Signs For Newcastle