The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Local Lad Likely To Be Sent On Loan Again This Season

12:04 pm, Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

With Adam Armstrong being injured and not being able to play for the England U-19 side in Germany in the U-19 European Championships this summer,  he’s had almost a full pre-season with Rafa Benitez and the first team squad at Newcastle.

He’s also had a few run-outs in some friendly games, but whether Adam will remain on Tyneside this season in the first team squad or be shipped out on loan to get more first team games under his belt is still undecided.

Rafa will be taking a close look at him this month and will make the choice based only on what is best for Adam’s developments as a player.

adam armstrong controls ball vitesse

Adam Armstrong in action against Vitesse last Saturday

This is what Rafa told the Chronicle today when asked about Armstrong’s situation:

“Maybe he will start with us. He is training well and he is doing fine.”

“We don’t know what will happen, he is a young player who has the potential,  but I want to be sure to do my best for the team and the best for the players.”

We should be getting an experienced striker in before the end of August and once Mitrovic serves his four game suspension he will be back before the end of this month.

And that would make Adam the 5th striker on the totem pole behind both Dwight Gayle and Ayoze Perez as well as Mitro and the new striker.

So if we were to hazard a guess, we would say Adam will be sent out on loan if we do being in another striker before the end of August.

What do you think?

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Championship · Coaching · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Pre-season

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Mr Tubbs………………………………………OOT
    Multiple Entries to Martoons predictions…..OOT

• 2 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I very much doubt that Armstrong would go anywhere soon seeing that Mitro is banned for the first four matches, once Mitro is back then Armstrong may go out on loan again but I expect him to start the season with us.

• 3 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Repost and test of my cut and paste skills 🙂

magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Shot Bru

Wondered how you knew.

The only family who I recall posted re someone’s passing was Jimmy Magpie’s – may have missed it but I do read most days and catch up when I have missed.

• 4 Belfast // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM

I predicted this weeks ago, quick somebody distract Bobby.

• 5 JP...from The Rock // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:13 PM

We should go in for McCormack for 12m. Proven at this level and a freekick specialist.

• 6 Belfast // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:17 PM

I agree and we’d also be stealing our two rivals top target.

• 7 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:18 PM

McCormack having a med at Villa unfortunately

• 8 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:19 PM

yeah, I can’t see Bobby being too happy about Armstrong going, if he does and I think he will, when he gets on I might take cover for a while lol

• 9 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    One of the kids mentioned as part of the Sissoko deal – Mariano Diaz – scored a worldy against Chelsea in Michigan the other day !

• 10 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Who are likely to be our rivals this season, I’m going to stick my head on the block here but I doubt that it will be Villa, I really can’t see them finishing top half, they were worse than dreadful last season and from what I can gather they are possibly weaker now than what they were last season, Derby, Norwich and Brighton are the ones I fear the most, possibly Sheff Wed if they can build on last years showing.

• 11 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Maybe I am mistaken but I am sure Torq has been on the blog more recent than a few years ago (like im thinking months??).

It was jimmymagpie who poetntially passed away and the family posted a few years ago but I will leave that there before Tsunki gets a hard on and Jumps on it.

• 12 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Would love the Real Madrid youngsters to be part of the Moussa deal but they are highly thought of and so if this was the case it would almost certainly be loan deals which i would not want.

I really cant understad the big desire for another striker to be brought in as between Perez, Mitro and Gayle we will be ok (I even think Riviere could do a job in the champ).

• 13 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if we were in running for McCormack but as with other transfers are staying well under the radar. Our opening game could be a complication if a deal is being mooted? Will he play if no deal already made with Norwich or Villa- hmmm?

Not sure he is worth more than £10M though but we need cover for Mitro and he offers different abilities to Gayle and we are in the market for an experienced striker. Can’t see Riviere or Toney ( or Armstrong given Rafa’s reported comments) figuring much in his plans.

• 14 JP...from The Rock // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Where the hell is Mo Diame and Ciaran Clark ffs!? We always take ages to confirm a signing does my head in.

• 15 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Just seen your post at 7 – where is this from SSN?

• 16 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:29 PM

No need for McCormack we wont be in for him.

• 17 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Spoof all 4 named are in my thoughts as competition and as dark horses Leeds if Cellini can stay out of it!

Sooner or later Leeds will make a strong comeback and Monk is a good appointment but under Cellini? – he needs an Ashley moment 🙂

• 18 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Not bothered by McCormack.

Start of the summer I was very keen, but our recruitment has been great and I no longer think £14m on a ST would be money well spent.

Glad he likely won’t be turning out for Fulham on Friday. He will carry a great burden at Vila because the rest of their team is shite. Can see them struggling to make top 6.

• 19 hibbitt // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:37 PM

if Rafa wants him why not ?

we don’t have anything like him on the books

• 20 hibbitt // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

you dont want McCormack but your glad he wont be playing for Fulham that must mean you rate him

• 21 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:42 PM

In a 4231 Perez doesn’t fit as a striker for Rafa and Riviere hasn’t had any game time so I can understand why we are reportedly after another experienced striker but probably more like Mitro than Gayle.

• 22 Wayayman // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM

@ Martoon

My predictions

Final league position 4th
    Final points 82
    League cup 4th
    Fa cup 5th round
    Player of the season (blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (tgs) Gayle
    No of goals (tgs) 19

Thanks mate.

• 23 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM

• 24 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM

dont think arma will go out on loan till end of august,if he does,we need cover while mitro’s out,toney will be loaned out more then likely, and rivvy only just back from injury so he’ll not exactly be looking anywhere near fit or sharp for a little while yet,dont like the idea of loaning players would rather buy out right.

• 25 Belfast // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Yeah he’s gone to Villa by the looks of it.

Nufc-83 He’s scored 42 goals in 100 games for mid table championship side. Not a bad record like.

• 26 Big Archie // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Rather odd assumption.

Arma’s featured in the pre-season, trained well and played well.
    Mitrovic is out for a month and Rafa says maybe he will start.

But your headline says he’s likely to go out on loan?

Where is the logic?

• 27 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Magscar Why does Perez not fit? Are you saying the striker up top needs to be a target man type? If so then Gayle does not fit the bill so we only have 1 in Mitro who is not available. I dont think Rafa is looking at only playing a target man up top and Perez and Gayle will play up there many times this season and score plenty of goals for us.

• 28 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM

• 29 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Belfast I am not saying he is a bad player at all and his goal record shows he knows where the net is however i believe with our recruitment we now have enough up top and should focus on getting someone in to provide competition for Aarons and Richie on the wings.

• 30 Our Toon // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:48 PM

For the first game I’d line up with

Anita, Mbemba, lascelles, dummett

• 31 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Hibbit if Rafa wanted him then he would have got him i guess so the point is he likely did not go in for him so stop believing all of the rumours.

• 32 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Thanks but linkmerely mentions a bid accepted but nothing about a medical although that would often follow ( or indeed whether McCormack is even agreeable to move)

Trying to start a bidding war?

• 33 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:50 PM

As long as Arma goes to a Championship club, i can live with it. Regardless, he needs games and if it isn’t here then he’s better off on loan. I’ve every confidence he’ll do damage to our rivals whether it’s for us or not. Still think he’d be better off learning under Rafa, but such is life. Six months will do, then bring him home to finish the season off. Even on loan he’ll score more than some of our strikers though, that much i do feel safe saying. Time will tell.

Finish top.
    Points 103
    Lg cup 5th round
    FA Cup 6th
    Best player Ritchie
    Tgs. Arma if he stays, or whoever replaces him. (Don’t see any of our current lot being prolific tbh).
    No. of goals 23

Martoon, let me know if that’s acceptable marra. 😉

• 34 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM

I think Perez will be our number ten against Fulham, long term I expect our number ten to be Diame but not against Fulham, if we do get another striker I would expect it to be another who’s strength’s are pace and movement as those appear to be the strikers which Rafa prefers so with us already having a targetman in Mitro I wouldn’t be expecting another targetman, I can see Mitro struggling for games if we do get another striker and can see him being used to change games when it is going against us, a secondary striker with pace and movement could in my eyes me really bad news for Mitro.

• 35 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Yeah, as I said, was very keen at the beginning of the summer because he is undoubtedly the most proven ST in this league, that’s whilst playing in struggling teams too., however, all things considered and the fact we bought Gayle to replace a hapless Cisse, I understand why we’re not in for him.

Of course I’m glad he won’t be turning out for Fulham, they’ve just got significantly weaker and it will also be a blow to the morale of their players.

• 36 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Apologies – hadn’t seen your earlier link to Sky just the BBC one when I posted

• 37 martoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Just as a heads up I have predictions so far from:

JP…from The Rock
    El Sleeve
    Munster Mag
    off the ball
    The one and Ayoze 17
    Shot Bru
    Laurent Robert 32

Apologies if I’ve missed anybody but if so could you repost them.

Oh and Tuff I can’t see any of Ian’s known aliases in the list but you are more of an expert on them than me – can you see any of them?

• 38 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Our Toon

I’d go for exactly the same with one exception, this probably won’t surprise you but the exception is Anita, I just cannot see Rafa playing Anita out of position when he has two experienced right backs to choose from, the anchor men for me would be Hayden and Shelvey but I think that Shelvey will lose out to Colback.

• 39 martoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Bobby I’ve got yours you must have posted them as I posted the list!

• 40 LGFUAD21 // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Agree with many on here.

I wouldve just paid the £15m for McCormack.

It is an inflated fee but he is by far the best striker in the league and would snap him away from rivals.

I think Armstrong should go out on loan. He had a cracking season but he’s not ready for regular first team action here as has shown from his appearances here. If he’s not going to play regularly then lets send him out and allow him to keep developing at such a young age.

Definitely need another Winger and a Striker. May also need to replace Mr T as I’m not confident we have that covered with Haydn and Saivet (unknown and looks to be off).

Perez is decent but he cannot play up top alone. He disappears.

• 41 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Apparently 34 year old Steven Piennar is training with the sad lot down the road, are they about to make a transfer breakthrough, and what a breakthrough it would be for them, a real coup, it would be really good of them to keep him out of retirement and to top up his pension fund !!!!!

• 42 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Martoon, better check that mate, i don’t remember posting until today! I was waiting to see which striker we brought in before committing myself. Can you remind me what you think i posted? Or did post. Damned if i remember lmao!

• 43 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:09 PM

I sem to recall some on here making the same sort of comments about Germaine Defoe

• 44 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:09 PM

I think Diame might be mainly in competition for one of the 2 in a 4231 or as you say and as with Sissoko behind a striker but we also have a few who could play in there – Perez, Gayle, even De Jong but yes Diame may figure.

It’s what makes season interesting – side used to almost pick itself!

Read that he is working on tactics and positioning with all players and Rafa may be looking at switching personnel in games and from match to match but within his favoured 4231 which is a versatile system when utilised with good players knowing their roles.

On a new striker ideally I would think he would be after a more mobile target man and he also may be working with Mitro on his mobility.

Many regard the Championship as physical and expect packed defences especially at SJP so there may be more direct football required at times.

Carroll did well last time we were down although I am not comparing him directly skill wise. We all know if Mitro doesn’t curb his temper then he will miss more than the 4 he is already down for but I am hoping that this will be a pivotal season for him. He will be used sparingly to start with especially as he hasn’t had much of a pre-season but he did score from bench a few times last season.

• 45 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:13 PM

the difference is that Defoe was playing regularly and at a high level, Piennar has barely played for the last two seasons, something like 13 in two seasons, this deal if it goes ahead is down to Moyes doing an old pals act due to his good rapour with Piennar at Everton, he is well past it and has been for quite a while.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Martoon – I’ll keep an eye out – I anticipate as the season is about to start some chicanery and artiface from the beggar.

I like the idea of loaning out Armstrong to another Championship club/rival – just as they start to play to his strengths pull the plug in January and bring him back -causing some disarray at the other club.

• 47 martoon // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Bobbybee @42 – Sorry what I meant to say was you were not on the list I posted because you were posting your just as I posted my list but I have now added you. Also after Thursday I am allowing changes to Player of the season and top goal scorer in lieu of transfers, loans etc. so you will be able to change Arma if necessary. I have to say I would have been disappointed if he hadn’t been your TGS 😉

• 48 Belfast // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Ian Toon won’t be entering because all journalists have to remain impartial.

• 49 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM

On Perez as a striker I believe he has only played there in a 4231 when we were desperate (without checking back can’t recall Rafa playing him in that role much).

I don’t really see him and Gayle as similar players as Gayle has played as an out and out striker regularly as well as out wide in a front 3. That is another position where Perez was wasted in my view.

He came with the reputation as an attacking midfielder or a No 10 and hasn’t convinced me on the times he has lead the line – not his fault as he gives his all just not his ideal position.

Top sides have cover in all key positions and we only have one target man at present. Target man doesn’t have to be the put down as some seem to see it. It certainty isn’t a one dimensional role with the right player and is very important in a 4231.

• 50 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Magscar I think you will find he came as a striker and he has done as well if not better up top than any other strikers we have had since he has been with us. The fact he has many attributes is why you see him getting used in other positions such as a wide midfielder and even then he was often one of the better players which shows how poor we actually were last season.

• 51 JP...from The Rock // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Where’s the Diame announcement!!???

• 52 carl // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM

I agree they are not at all alike. Perez does time his runs into the box well and he has a lot more to offer this season. Gale has pace something Perez lacks.

• 53 JP...from The Rock // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Just seen this;

Didn’t he have his medical yesterday??

• 54 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Martoon, you’re a good un. (Despite what people say behind your back) 😉 😉 I’ve gone with Arma because i know he’s prolific when he gets up and running. If he stays he may well start slow, due to competition, but once he gets going…. A poor pre season – with mitigation – means zilch to me. I know what he’s capable of. Does it for me.

• 55 MadisonToon // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:48 PM

I also went with Arma as the TGS. I do think he’s got it at the Championship level and could also be one of the three behind the striker – we will see if he gets good game time before Mitro is back and even then Rafa has repeatedly stated his desire for rotation so he will hopefully get some more game time and prove his worth. I’ve got probably unrealistic hopes for him, but still I think he’s the best club-grown talent in a while and I really hope he comes good.

RE: title of the post, c’mon Ed, we’ll click through the posts anyway, there’s not reason to get click-baity without any facts.

• 56 nufc786 // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:54 PM

If Saviet goes to Marseille, would anyone consider buying back Mehdi Abeid or Olivier Kemen maybe both?

• 57 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM

He was bought for development squad and it may have been as a striker I just don’t recall.

My point is that apart from in desperate circumstances he hasn’t been played as a CF/ No 9 call it what you will – he is more a modern No10 or an attacking midfielder.

He doesn’t lead the line well or hold ball up well enough for me. I like him and want him to stay for a few seasons at least but he is not a main striker in my eyes and we need an alternative to Mitro.

It is all just opinions 🙂

• 58 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Madison, he’s the best since Gazza imo and i’ve stuck with that since i first watched him at 16ish. Thing is, you have to play to his strengths, which is running the channels. He makes killer runs and we need the midfield to pick his runs. So far they haven’t. That’s why i hope SDJ gets fit, or the bald eagle hits form. He’s electric over 15 yrds and leaves defenders standing. Scores with both feet – 12 right, eight left for Coventry. Who else does that? Hope he stays under Rafa though, who could really bring him on. Like i said though, if he goes out, he can cause damage against our competition, so it’s win win. Want him to stay though and force his way in.

• 59 NUFCPaul // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM

JP – if the rumours of Diame having a slight issue with his heart are true, then maybe the club medical staff are being extra cautious and extending the tests? It is unusual for a medical exam for a player to last more than one day, so that’s the only reason I can think of.

• 60 JP...from The Rock // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:03 PM

NufcPaul- they sure are taking long, has me worried.

• 61 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Chronicle reports that Armstrong will be around for the start of the season.
    Diame’s been saying all the right things about joining Rafa and NUFC so let’s hope that all’s well on the medical front and that he’s signed up .

• 62 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Why are we even considering doing business with Marseille again? They never pay up and just use us to supply them with cheap players ffs. Thauvin has been nothing but trouble, refusing to play for us, his contracted club, and now refusing to go to Italy because he demands to go to Marseille. Lend him to Hartlepool for six months, see how he enjoys that.

• 63 NUFCPaul // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Some people are saying that McCormack isn’t worth the 15 million because he’s too old at 29 for that amount of money and may not cut it in a higher league. I don’t think either of these things matter. We need his goals in THIS league as he’s a proven scorer. If he plays a significant role in getting us promoted and we get our hands on that sweet, sweet Premier League money, then 15 million will seem like peanuts.

After promotion we can sell him back to a Championship club. If we make a 5-7 million quid loss on him, so what? We’ll still be rolling in cash to buy a real worldy of a striker with Rafa’s pulling power.

• 64 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Paul, we’ve got Sissoko and he hasn’t even got a heart, so Diame should be fine! 😉

• 65 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Mark Douglas reports …Still expecting some sort of announcement on Ciaran Clark joining Newcastle today. Mo Diame is likely to join as well but might not be today.

But then again it’s Rafa’s news conference at 1pm tomorrow so maybe they’re waiting until then for that announcement,.

• 66 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Martoon, here you are

Finish 1st
    Points : 101
    Lg cup : winner
    FA Cup : 5th round
    Best player: Perez
    Top goal scorer : Gayle
    No. of goals 19

• 67 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM

I don’t really understand these signings. Diame and Ciaran Clarke aren’t what I expected us to go for- I thought we’d buy potential and let them use the championship to grow into good premier league players- which with the rest of the squad being strong I thought we could do.

If we’re spending £10m+ on two signings effectively just for one season to be sold again then I just don’t trust Ashley to let the clue use it’s own money enough to replace those players next time.

Will we inevitably get the “I know you want X but we already have a 30+ year old Diame in that position….”

Well never mind, I guess it’s just getting the job done this season.

• 68 NUFCPaul // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Bobbybee – it’s funny because it’s true!

• 69 G // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM

@63, if we start paying that sort of cash for a 29 year old with little or no sell on value it sets us up for a dangerous precedent mate. I agree he’s a good player, but if we start paying that fee for a forward, then suddenly anybody under 29 suddenly becomes worth more. I think we are right to pass.

• 70 Nufc-83 // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Magscar as I say when he has been up too he has performed just as good if not better than the strikers we have had recently (although not saying much). For me Perez in terms of play style (not ability) is very very similar to Suarez and so can be deployed in many positions but will be good playing up top on his own as Suarez has done. All opinions as you say but that’s mine 🙂

• 71 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Sorry for the double post but on Perez – I see him as a poacher who can play. The first season he was here he showed he can get a goal from unorthodox positions/ methods and had the positioning for that. I feel he sometimes goes a bit quiet when he’s not simply looking to get on the end of something.

• 72 Novocastrian66 // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM

@ martoon;
    Final Position 1st
    Points 105
    League cup 4th round
    FA cup 5th Round
    Player of the season Lascelles
    TGS Mitrovic
    No of goals 25

• 73 NUFCPaul // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:27 PM

gonufc – your last sentence answers your own question. Why would we buy and play players with potential? Some of those players may not live up to their potential and we can’t take that chance. We absolutely cannot take any chances at all this year. We need players that can do the business in this league and get us out. You loan out your players with potential to other teams (Armstrong is a good example of this) so they can be tested elsewhere.

• 74 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Sky sources: Mo Diame is this afternoon on Tyneside having a medical ahead of a £4.5m transfer from Hull City to Newcastle United.
    So what was yesterday about?

• 75 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:29 PM

That’s all fine but ideally Rafa is looking at that price £12M for a striker that can be considered as potential PL material as well, not just to be jettisoned if we are promoted.

It is not just a loss to be considered but assuming he came on high wages then which Championship club could possibly match them if we do go up and consider him surplus to requirements?

There is also the question of whether or not he might be happy to stay and gamble he will get game time in PL whatever our wishes.

We can all think of players who haven’t even warmed the bench and yet drawn ridiculous wages over the years – not blaming them but it happened a lot to us. Not saying he is that sort of player but it has to be factored in to a larger transfer fee and wages deal.

It is looking unlikely anyway and I believe that either Villa or Norwich may represent a better long term deal for him as is likely to get more than 1 season with them regardless of their final positions.

No PL team has been prepared to gamble on him since he was at Leeds drawing scouts from several PL clubs.

• 76 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Perez goes missing when he is played wide or asked to be the primary playmaker coming much deeper than he ought to.

Comes alive centrally, between the outer edges of the box and within 10 yards of the central edge of the box.

That’s why if he plays AM I hope it’s more as a second ST than the onus on him to be a creative type as part of a midfield 3.

My starting XI for Fulham.

Janmaat and Shelvey in particular of those starting must show renewed vigour and focus to gain some good faith from fans.

• 77 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM

If he was a Suarez or Aquero type yes he can play as a lone striker but I think he can be moved off the ball far easier than either of those and also lacks pace with the ball.

We are talking 4231 not a 442 so ideally he plays best off a lone striker and would link with either Gayle, Mitro or ANother in Championship.

Isn’t it great though to have differences about players and who might come in rather than have to carp about manager, owner etc. 🙂

• 78 nut meg // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM

McCormack will turn 30 on August 18th….information only guys.

• 79 Our Toon // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM

I’ll go with naming a side

Anita, lascelles, Mbemba, dummett
    Haydon, tiote/saivet
    Ritchie, Perez, Aaron’s

Away from home first game of the season it’s important to keep it tight and not concede early on, think 2 holding lads with Hayden having the ability to go box to box as best option.

• 80 G // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:44 PM

HWA @ 76, I would pretty much go along with that line up. Maybe MBemba rather than Hanley, however, I would be happy with either line up.

• 81 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:48 PM

I think we need to remind ourselves about what Rafa said when he decided to stay, regards not being in a position to buy like for like this season. He said he’d be looking for players he believes he can improve with better coaching. Regards the future, at cb we have two for the future in Lascelles and Mbemba, but we need cover and experience – hence the new signings. Rafa sees something he thinks he can improve on and from what he did in a short space of time with our rabble, then i’m prepared to see how it goes. I imagine every one of the squad will get game time, due to the games to be played. We mere mortals might scratch our heads over Clark, but Rafa must see something he believes he can improve on.

• 82 danf98 // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:51 PM

I seem to be like quite a few on here as a long term reader (got to have something to kill the time at work), but not so regular poster.

Can I just say its nice to see it back to factual football chat as of late which makes for extremely enjoyable reading!

My predictions

Final league position 1st
    Final points 94
    League cup 5th
    Fa cup 4th round
    Player of the season (blog) Ritchie
    Top goal scorer (tgs) Perez
    No of goals (tgs) 18

• 83 danf98 // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM

*actual (yet sometimes factual!)

• 84 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Aug 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM

This is what I don’t get about McCormack – last year we paid ~£12m for Mitrovic. Presumably they thought he was good enough to score goals in the premier league and was young enough to get better. Why would we prefer to play McCormack than Mitrovic if they paid around the same amount for him in a league above?!?

It makes no sense, I hope it’s just agent fed paper talk. Please can we drop this “Championship s a different sport” rubbish- that you need lower quality players specifically for a lower quality league, it’s absurd. Would you rather have Aguero or McCormack? Some people seem to answer questions with that crazy line “He’s done it in the championship” – personally I’d rather play the better player.

Same stuff went for the manager talk. Some thought that because we were in a lower quality league we had to go for a lower quality manager who “knew the league”. Why the hell would we want Nigel Pearson instead of Rafa?!? It’s ridiculous!

It’s not a different sport! People almost spam this argument to try and give themselves another job if they’ve never progressed to the premier league or failed in the premier league, that they’re “Specialists”, no, they’re just that level and are not expected to improve as you would most managers/ players that you sign at championship level.

Sometimes I can’t believe the stuff I hear on football radio/ forums etc.

• 85 Fostino // Aug 3, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Janmaat lascalles mbemba jesus

Colback shelvey

Anita perez ritchie

This will be the starting 11 vs fulham

Expect aarons Diame armstrong to come on for shelvey anita and gayle.

• 86 El Sleeve // Aug 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Seen Diame having his medical.
    This is because yesterday he was having a heart check up, which stands to be true coz he was at the Freeman.
    So hospital yesterday for that.
    General medical today at the Club.

Makes sense