Two Newcastle Players Could Move To Marseille

According to local Marseille newspaper La Provence, the French club may be interested in signing Newcastle central midfielder Henri Saivet this summer to strengthen their midfield.

Newcastle are already considering a bid from Marseille for 23 year-old winger Florian Thauvin,  which is a loan deal with a clause to buy the player after Florian plays a certain number of games for the French club.

henri saivet ireland

Henri Saivet – in pre-season training

Now it could be that 25 year-old Saivet ends his frustrating time at Newcastle, where he has hardly been given much of a chance – and when he has played in the Newcastle first team he’s looked a tidy and efficient player.

This is what has been published in Le Provence today:

“Contacts has been established between Jean-Philippe Durand, head of the Marseille recruitment, Gunter Jacob and Henri Saivet’s entourage.”

“The former Bordeaux midfielder was replaced with medium success by Willy Sagnol last season before being “buried” at Newcastle.”

“The idea to leave the cemetery of French football, where Rafael Benitez does not count on him, made way in his mind.”

“It’s far from certain whether Marseille’s interest will be successful.”

Rafa doesn’t seem to rate Henri much, and we say that simply because he has not played him much since the manager arrived at Newcastle.

Henri must have been very frustrated since he arrived in January, signed by former manager Steve McClaren, but to his credit he’s been the model professional.

He’s been the victim of a manager change at the club a couple of months after he arrived on Tyneside.

If Newcastle want to sell the 9 times capped Senegal International, the  club will want the £5M we paid out to Bordeaux for him in January.

So if Thauvin and Saivet do move to the south of France club we should get at least £15M for the two of them.

What do you think?

• G

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:05 AM

I just assumed Rafa went for experience over skill for the relegation run in. I have yet to see too much of Saivet, however, when I have watched him, he hasn’t disgraced himself, and actually looks half decent. If Rafa wants rid, I will accept his judgement.

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:06 AM

home page
    contact
    advertise
    privacy

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
    Howay The Lads!!

? It’s Started – Newcastle Receive Multiple Bids For Star Player Two Newcastle Players Could Move To Marseille ?
    New Signing – Everybody is Happy At Rafa’s Newcastle
    9:39 am, Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

It seems the Newcastle players just love working for manager Rafa Benitez and we’ve had many interviews from the players this summer lauding just how good he is with them.

Rafa’s training sessions are strict and serious, but they also seem to be carried out in such a way that the players enjoy them and can see the value of them.

matt ritchie with Rafa benitez

Matt Ritchie with Rafa Benitez earlier this summer

Rafa also has tactical sessions with the players, where he explains in detail how the various formations will work and the detailed responsibilities of the players in the various positions.

Matt Ritchie raved about Rafa when the former Bournemouth player first arrived at the club this summer and the Scottish International was interviewed on the Football League Preview Show on BBC Radio Five Live last night.

It seems Matt is still excited about working with Rafa as he had this to say:

“He’s been fantastic. I can’t speak highly enough of him,”

“The training has been top draw and he has an aura around him. He demands respect and the sessions are very good.”

“Everyone is happy.”

There’s a huge “feel good” factor surrounding the club this summer because of the Rafa Benitez effect and the exciting project he has going at Newcastle.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating and the Championship season gets under way in earnest at Fulham on Friday night.

We have to try to get off to a very good start with a win and it seems the only player not available for that game through injury is Siem de Jong.

So it will be the strongest side Rafa can play.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Matt Ritchie · Newcastle News · Other News · Pre-season · Press

7 responses so far ?

1 carl // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Running to keep up. Good to see the chatting in little groups during and after training. Shelvey looks fit and relaxed. He could be a key player.

2 G // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Are Krul and Elliot available again? I thought they were some way away from fitness at the minute?

3 Spoof // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:54 AM

carl

I doubt all of them will be, it may be too early for Diame and Clark, they haven’t played or even had a training session, in fact I don’t even think they’ve signed yet, but for the rest of them, Gamez or Janmaat, it could go either way but I just get this sneaky feeling that it will be Gamez, Janmaat possibly in midfield but then again I feel that Ritchie is nailed on for the right wing role and could Janmaat play left ?, we have two new CB’s but is seems inevitable that Lacellas will be captain, so would he leave his captain out to play both of the new ones, I doubt it and about Mbemba, as far as I was aware he was left out on Saturday purely as a precaution and we saw how well he and Lascellas played together, so both new CB’s could be left out, Sels I think will start, as will Hayden and Gayle so for me there will be 5 new lads in for the Fulham match.

4 SPRINGY // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:57 AM

G
    dont think elliot is back till october,and not sure krul has done much pre-season work so although he’s running apparently,i think he’s still a canny way from first team football….just from what i’ve read.

5 widowmagandapoke // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Top DRAWER

6 Jib // Aug 3, 2016 at 9:59 AM

I see Leroy Sane said he decided to sign for City after Pep G said he could make him a better player.
    It must be very flattering for any player when a worldy coach says that to you.
    That’s the Rafa factor.
    Repost

7 magscar // Aug 3, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Not worried about any of the new signings – all have been brought in for a reason and whilst not all of Rafa’s ( or any managers including KK and SBR) will come off I expect the majority to have impact. All have had PL experince or are reckoned to be capable of playing there. All will be aware that there are potentially playing for a place in next season’s PL team – if everything works out as we hope.

I suspect gamez was brought in early in expectation of Janmaat going but now looks as though he is staying. Gives Rafa opportunities for difficult away games perhaps with Janmaat or Anita playing in front of Gamez ( or each other even).

Given Rafa’s reputation and the extra games in Championship I expect there will be rotation with few players being automatic starters for every game. Should help with keeping players fresh and help ease injury problems and loss of form.

On Clark he is an upgrade on Williamson and Taylor in my view and though he has apparently struggled of late I do remember him as a player with potential a couple of years ago. Interestingly like a few others he can play in various positions and cover will be needed both at start and from bench I am sure.

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Agghh!!

Apologies thought I had cut and pasted only my comment

• Average_Contents

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Haha magscar. Happens to us all. Not really but….

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:12 AM

I read that Elliot would be out for the rest of the year and Krul was a few weeks away yet.

To the old timers on the blog who was the poster who used to give some snippets about possible signings. Didn’t say he was a ITK but used to have a few connections. They have not been on for ages?

Jumped to this page. While I was posting. Still getting used to it.

• tomellifred360

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:13 AM

I am setting up a NUFC Fantasy Football League. All welcome!
    76984-102226

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Average

never mind could have been a long thread not just 7 comments 🙂

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:14 AM

see fulham have meant to accepted villas bid for McCormack,if its 10m,then it might be a half decent deal but naything more is not for me,on happier note means we dont play him friday!lol

• Ron Knee

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:14 AM

magscar

Thanks for the handy digest!

• Fostino

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Definition of a panic buy. No wait..That was Doumbia

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Santon to West Ham on loan. Sky sources. Interesting.

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:19 AM

legolas
    like i said previous, i had read/heard something similar about the crocked keepers, but elliot was october,and krul a while yet,has he done any preseason?…i’m not so sure.
    welcome to blog mate by the way.

• Rafa Revolution

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Rafas getting a cracking squad together

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Legolas – welcome mate. I can’t remember his name but he wasn’t that reliable either.

On Saivet I think he can come good. The little I’d seen of him he looked okay. Hasn’t been given much of a chance. Tbh I think he’ll stay and he seems to be a neat player and he scored a good goal in the open training session too.

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:23 AM

14m for McCormack,thats seems a little to much for me, he’ll get goals in this league but it could be at a big cost.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Apparently McCormack is going for £14m. I wouldn’t be too keen on us spending 14m but then again he is a proven goalscorer in this division and he has a great freekick in him too. To hell with it go for him Rafa! We need more firepower upfront.

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Thanks Springy and JP…from the rock.

As you said earlier springy. I think he has been running and gym work but not much else. Looks like he will start with Sels on Friday.

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:26 AM

JP
    same thought’s about saivet,but all depends on the money marseille are willing to stump up,no loan though,we need to keep him to have a good look this season or sell out right,a loan is of no benefit to us at all.

• G

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM

@5, do you mean Transfer Sage? (I think that was his name). There was also jimmymagpie who claimed his son was an agent or something, but he carked it a couple of years back.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Wasn’t his name ‘cwcarl’ or something and he had a twitter account too.

• martoon

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Just tried to check the official site for confirmation of Diame & Clark and it seems to be offline – that’s handy!
    Mobile site is working though and nothing on there yet.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Or ‘cwchris’?

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM

JP

I also cannot recall his name but his posts were enjoyable and interesting if read as intended.

As I recall he was a peripatetic Physio or some such who worked for clubs here and in France and often picked up snippets of gossip at clubs he was then at. He never claimed to be an ITK but passed on whatever he picked up on involving us , our players or those we were linked with.

I think he got fed up being called out on his info and not surprisingly gave up, feeling his contributions weren’t welcome.

Quite miss him but given France is no longer our happy hunting ground and our French stock has dwindled he won’t have as much gossip as before.

• Mag52

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM

My team for Fulham:

Sels
    Anita Mbemba Lascelles Dummet
    Ritchie Hayden Colback Aarons
    Perez Gayle.

• SPRINGY

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM

legolas
    sels would be my guess,myt push darlows nose out joint like but thats not always a bad thing,good competition…but if sels does start hope he does’nt make an almighty bollick, as it myt put a bullseye on his back for the rest of the season.

• Average_Contents

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Torqtoon I think he was called.

• trimac

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Wasn’t it cwarren?

• Nufc-83

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Posada exactly Jaanmat gets bad press on here for leaving gaps yet he is one of our main attacking outlets and the team should be set up to cover the full back going forward as with 99% of the teams out there. I expect either Jaanmat will leave or be first choice.

• lochinvar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:36 AM

If McCormack is off our radar ( especially at £14m) then you would hope and believe that Rafa has someone else in mind and we are all missing who that might be ?

• Average_Contents

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:37 AM

And yeah, he never claimed to be anything just passed on tit bits he’d heard in his job.

Got far too much stick for it imo.

Shame as I Used to enjoy reading his info.

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:37 AM

On Saivet link I hope Marseilles aren’t looking to unsettle what they perceive as unwanted/unhappy bargains as they haven’t met Thauvin’s asking price yet.

No need to sell but the positions he can play in are well covered so if right offer made then so be it. At least we aren’t dependant on the cash from sales of such as him to bring in players. Easy either way.

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Average

Torq Toon is correct

• lochinvar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM

And if both Saviet and Thauvin head back to France then that confirms that Rafa is focused on players with the physical and mental stamina for the Championship and won’t consider any lightweights in his squad

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Thanks everyone. Don’t think it was any names that has been mentioned but as magscar has said his posts were enjoyable and didn’t come across as a d**k. I am sure it is who magscar is talking about. I was just wondering.

• Average_Contents

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:41 AM

That bloke off twatter wasn’t connected to torqtoon (as far as I know) and was called Ccwar or something like that and was about as reliable as the links jizz provides.

Basically shite. He’d report stuff that had already been said then say something happening soon…..Yeah right, dikhead.

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Sorry everyone, getting used to typing and reading. I can’t concentrate on both. Ha ha. Average that was it Torq toon. As some had said his posts were enjoyable. Cheers.

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Mag 52

Your line up is not far away from that which I reckon Rafa will go for except I expect Janmaat or Gamez will start at RB and Anita lose out unless Ritchie isn’t considered fit yet. Could even fit Anita on rightside and move Ritchie in for Perez or Aarons given it is our firts away game.

• magscar

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM

On Goalies I think it is Sels’ to lose from the start but he won’t be allowed too many ricks

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Springy, I like Darlow. I think he did a decent job second time around and it will be shame but good competition is what’s needed but I think it looks like delay for the nod but your right he needs to have a good game.

• Legolas

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:48 AM

*Sels. Predictive texts sucks.