The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Clark Talks About Newcastle – Sees Himself In This Position

8:02 am, Thursday, August 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Ciaran Clark from Aston Villa was Newcastle’s 7th summer signing yesterday followed about 90 minutes later by Mohamed Diame from Hull City.

Clark cost us £5M and we activated the release clause in his Villa contract which still had four years to run and it will be interesting to see where Rafa Benitez will use the player who can play center-back, left back or in defensive midfield.

ciaran clark

Ciaran Clark – a good addition to the side

Clark said he really fancied the move to Newcastle:

“I don’t think it was a difficult decision. I had been there for 16 years and I felt the time was right for a new challenge for myself and my family.”

“When I heard the news it was a move I really fancied.” “I am excited to get going and get in with the boys.”

“It is a massive club that is pushing for the right things. I am really excited now to be part of that.”

“It seems to have gone really quickly over the last few days. It was mad day the day I signed, but I am glad to get it all done and to be part of the squad.”

“From the moment I was shown around there was a very positive vibe.” “Just looking around the place gave me a real buzz and real excitement of things that might be coming.”

“I am very excited now to be involved and be part of something really positive.”

“I have shown over the years I can play in different positions.” “I do see myself as a center-half but if needed in other positions I can fill in and do a job there.”

It could be that Ciaran is the fourth specialist center-back and will fight it out with Jamaal Lascelles, Chancel Mbemba and Grant Hanley so that’s some competition there for two places – and hopefully center-back will no longer be a weakness at Newcastle.

But Ciaran could also push Paul Dummett for the left-back spot and at the very least his arrival will keep Paul on his toes.

Ciaran is a good player with lots of experience who can really prosper under the coaching of a world-class manager like Rafa Benitez.

That’s what we are hoping for.

Tags: Ciaran Clark · Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:01 AM

On the full back issue, a modern day full back at a good level should be able to attack and defend. Primarily though, he has to be able to defend. If he can’t do that, then he is a poor full back regardless of what he offers going forward.

Dummet can defend but is limited going forwards, I much prefer that to the other way round. Dummet’s lack of attacking intent is highlighted more because we haven’t had anyone in front of him that offers delivery on that side for a long time, so the full back is the main supplier of crosses.

I’d love us to sign Robertson as he can do both well, but I’d say it is unlikely we will, and that Rafa will settle with Dummet, Gamez and Haidara as left backs for now, with Clark also able to cover. What we could really do with is a genuine creative wide player on that flank that can give good service to those in the box. That will mask Dummet’s deficiencies to an extent, and still leave us solid at the back.

171Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM

We can ignore which foot Santon used to cross with, regardless of left or right his delivery was terrible, and regularly non existent. A career total of 8 assists from an attacking full back is an awful return when you factor in that his defending was pretty poor as well.

• 2 Fostino // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Rafa obv don’t fancy mbabu…case closed.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:08 AM

I’d still like Kieran Tierney, maybe after he has a years more experience at Celtic and we are hopefully back in the Prem we could bring him in. He is a full back that can defend and attack, he won’t be far off taking Robertson’s spot in the national set up this season.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:08 AM

Fostino,
    Why? Mbabu is a right back. Why does signing a left footed centre half who can play left back mean Rafa doesn’t fancy Mbabu?

• 5 hibbitt // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Fostino

Mbabu needs to prove his fitness
    he’s a RB who can play CB but he has never stayed fit long enough to stay in the team ever since we sighed him

• 6 SPRINGY // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:17 AM

fostino
    i think if mbabu’s injury in ireland set him back a bit in rafas eyes,plus the lads had a terrible couple of years with injuries so rafa may want him to work on his fitness and sharpness at under 21 level for a while,seems rushing him back to first team football is hampering is development a little due to his injuries…he had a great game against chelsea,but he is a rb,and right now we have janmaat,gamez,sterry and anita and mbemba who can fill in if needed,hopefully taken a slower ubder 21 approach for a while with mbabu will pay off.

• 7 Fostino // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Lilongwe geordie

A lot of defenders have been signed. Particularly c.b.s which is mbabu main position. In terms if Rb I suspect jesus. Janmaat and now sterry are above him. With clark signing he has fallen further down the pecking order.

Can’t blame rafa. 5m for clark is good business and mbabu has not consistently shown he can deliver or stay injury free. Do you think he has a better chance of playing with the arrival of all the defenders?

• 8 jimmysmith // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Santon was excellent on the ball, and was a very good outlet going forward. It’s not at all just about tackles and crosses, it’s mostly about stopping the cross from coming in, or the winger cutting inside and getting off a shot and also chiming in effectively in attacking moves. I’ve always rated Santon, though admittedly I’ve seen him outfought on a number of occasions, which you won’t see from Dummett.

• 9 Fostino // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:22 AM

I stand corrected on mbabu main position. He does seem to be Rb. But he is quite versatile and had a good game against Chelsea as a l.b. I personally like the player and hope he proves me wrong but I feel he has a lot of people ahead of him ow in the pecking order.

• 10 LGFUAD21 // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:23 AM

I rate Santon. Id take him back no doubt.

He was unreliable but he just needed coaching in some basics.

He tended to give players too much space but that could’ve been coached out of him.

He did have a good read on the game.

• 11 LGFUAD21 // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:25 AM

I also see some stick for dummet. I think he’s a decent player. Easily can have a future as a CB he reads the game well. For now he’s good enough to play LB.

He was our most solid defender last season. He may not offer much going forward but I’m a defence first type of guy.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM

Fostino,
    I don’t think he was ever likely to be high up in the plans this season. I’d like to see him go out on loan and prove his fitness playing competitively week in week out.

I’m surprised Janmaat has stayed, although given his poor showing last season there was probably not a lot of interest from clubs that he might have been tempted by. I think that more than anything has probably hampered Mbabu’s chances here, not the signings.

I think Gamez was probably brought in on the expectation Janmaat was off, leaving Mbabu and Sterry as the natural understudies with Anita to call upon if necessary. It hasn’t happened that way though.

• 13 Jib // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:37 AM

G’s comments on the previous about our opening game being a draw vs WBA got me thinking.

Afetr that we won the next 6 including a League cup win vs Huddersfield.
    Our first defeat was mid September vs Blackpool away

This page is full of info on that season.
    It was nip and tuck with WBA all the way but they never once managed to get above us.
    A flying start for the first 2 months is crucial.

• 14 martoon // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:39 AM

I think like Colback, Dummett is another one of these marmite players – you either rate him or hate him. I personally think he is a very good defender, reads the game well but agree he is not great going forward. One stand out game for me was against Liverpool when Sterling was at his best – he didn’t get a kick against Dummett.

• 15 jimmysmith // Aug 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Yeah, I’d have to say that in a side that needs to win and has the players to look to win, an attacking fullback is surely a better option than a defensive one. I have Janmaat down for player of the year for this side in this league.

previous post: Interesting Comments From Rafa During His Radio Call-In