The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

A Potent Message From The Captain

9:09 am, Friday, August 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Jamaal Lascelles deserved to be given the Newcastle captaincy even though the lad is still only 22, which is really young to be captain of such a massive club like Newcastle and he’s only made 22 appearances so far for the club.

But it’s testament to his strong character and he seems to have all the qualities needed to become a very successful captain of the club in what we are hoping is a new era for Newcastle United under new manager Rafa Benitez.

Jamaal Lascelles – Newcastle captain

This is the message he has sent out to both player and fans alike in the Chronicle today:

“We’ve got to take it game by game, we can’t get too ahead of ourselves.”

“We’ve just go to prepare for every game; we’re not going to win every game, that’s football.”

“But we have to take it stride by stride, make sure we’re all fit and ready and that we prepare ourselves in the right way.”

“It was a very proud moment to get the captaincy.”

“I’ve been getting little hints and stuff in pre-season, a few players have said it to me, and the manager’s been asking me a few question – probably to test me – but it’s announced now so I’m really pleased.”

“The majority of the fans have been wanting me to be captain so I’m really pleased that they’ve found out as well.”

“This is a massive honor for anyone and it’s about taking that on board and going forward now.

“The boys have been really supportive, I think they seem happy that I’m captain.”

Those are good words from Jamaal and a message that we cannot take anything for granted.

The season starts in earnest tonight at Craven Cottage in London, when we take on a good-looking Fulham side under the impressive new Serbian manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Fulham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Captain · Championship · Jamaal Lascelles · Leadership · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Thump // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:12 AM

A captain making a statement? Well this feels new and uncomfortable.

• 2 G // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:15 AM

I think when he got red carded and was shouting ‘nobody gives a foxtrot’ we knew he was leadership material. Lets hope we see him lift a pot for us at some point.

• 3 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:16 AM

He speaks very well and as we’ve witnessed he isn’t afraid to shout and ball at his colleagues if it’s needed, he could be a very good captain, I just hope that the armband doesn’t distract him from his most important role, which are his own performances on the pitch.

• 4 Jib // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:18 AM

A captain hasn’t really made his bones at the Toon until he has an attempt on the life of “G” outside the Ship Inn.

• 5 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Chinese are trying to take over the world mate.

They should think about putting ther own house in order before anything else.

• 6 Bambams // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:22 AM

I hope this is not a going to all go ‘boobs-up’ because I can’t remember the last time I felt so ‘attached’ to my club. Can’t wait for tonight. …few beers at The Holystone….AND hopefully a win !

• 7 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Heard Rafa was drinking in the Din Cow the other night with Dennis from Auf weidrrzehn…. lol

• 8 geordiemark // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:22 AM

ive not said much since last season, ive watched who we have signed and whos been shipped out over the past couple of months

it is going to be very difficult this season, first off its just about a new team now they have to get used to playing together and that takes time, ill settle for runners up spot or the play offs to get promoted, the thing here is we all have to give rafa time even if we don’t get promoted this season he is a top class manager so he needs the time its as simple as that

• 9 G // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:22 AM

@4, I rarely pedal that way now Jib, but I will do my best to make it happen!

• 10 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:23 AM

• 11 G // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM

@7, I heard that they stopped off in Dunston for a kebab on the way to Low Fell for Karaoke mate.

• 12 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM

With the squad we have, the manager, tbe coaches and the facitities……nothing short of mayching Hughtons achievement plus cul runs is required

• 13 Ron Knee // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Australia is the second foreign country for Chinese investment, after the USA, apparently.

• 14 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Aye. The Fell……my old haunt

Syarted at the Beac..

The Cannon

The Gateshead Alms

The Vic

The George

Amd finished off at the Jolly Miller

• 15 Norlinsen // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Budge123, Wayayman, Jib and Thump, thanl you all for some great responses, I am absolutely buzzing now!!
    Can’t wait to get among you all!

I will definetly do the stadium tour and a pre match pint, maybe even two as I love the local Newcastle Brown Ale, delicious.

Not sure if I can convince my lass to go playerspotting, but I’ll sure try!
    Roll on Fulham – Howay the Lads!!

previous post: Benitez On Ambitions, Goals And Challenges At Newcastle