Why Lascelles Is The New Newcastle Captain

Rafa Benitez had all of pre-season to decide who will be the new captain at Newcastle now that Fabricio Coloccini has finally left the club and got his move to San Lorenzo.

And Rafa seems to have made the right choice in giving it to 22 year-old Jamaal Lascelles and he even gave tests to the youngster who led Newcastle out in all five pre-season friendly games.

rafa benitez jamaal lascelles

Manager Rafa Benitez and captain Jamaal Lascelles

This is what Rafa said during his press conference yesterday for the game at Fulham tonight – about why Jamaal was handed the captaincy:

“The player has grown quickly.” “He knows the responsibility of being captain of this massive club.”

“We know he is a young player, but he has the right mentality and he has the right players around to help him do the right thing for the team.”

“When you make the decision after analyzing the character of other players, we have some with very good mentality who have come in.”

“But he knows everything about the city, the club, the fans and he knows what it is like to be captain here.”

“He passed the test with a very good mark, I am really pleased and the teammates when I was talking with them realized he can be a good captain for us.”

“We could see his reaction last season and we see him every day, he pushed himself to improve and his teammates.”

“That helped us decide who could be captain.”

We thought when he first came in that Jesus Gamez may be the one Rafa would choose to lead the club, but we’ve been surprised Gamez has not had too many first team minutes so far.

But the fans are happy that Jamaal has the armband – he has the passion we all expect from a Newcastle captain and we’re sure he will do very very well.

• Slank

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Expatmag

Last time I was in Melbourne the papers printed quite a long list of all the vineyards now owned by the Chinese.

They will be buying Skippy soon !

• Jib

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Expat
    You missed out the Bluebell !!!!
    🙁

• Spoof

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I wonder what the Forest fans make of this ?

• Ian Toon

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Managing a relegation side and turning things around is a different job entirely to tweaking a once dominant side and getting them to return to their former glories. This is what Benitez and Mourinho are faced with this season. We are poles apart and we’ve got to start from way down the pile. Be of good cheer though Rafa has cast a spell on Mike Ashley and he now sees us as a football club

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves- I am filled with optimism for the season ahead but the counselling wisdom is undoubtedly with the likes of BandB and Tequila. I saw the Southend friendly but a good performance in a friendly counts for little! The start of the Championship season feels very much like entering into the unknown. In many ways it personally reminds me of the feeling when first doing exams. That brief moment before you look at the exam paper. In any event tonight could well be the start of something special with this being just the beginning.

Altered perceptions have restored hope. Benitez has given us that hope something that’s been lacking for more than a decade. The air of expectation going forward though is the real danger and with it complacency. It’s a long season and Brighton showed the pitfalls ahead ; from looking like they were going to walk the league.
    HWTL

• Norlinsen

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Repost – As Ed is moving too fast for me
    Budge123, Wayayman, Jib and Thump, thank you all for some great responses, I am absolutely buzzing now!!
    Almost can’t wait to get among you all!

I will definitely do the stadium tour and a pre match pint, maybe even two as I love the local Newcastle Brown Ale!
    Not sure if I can convince my lass to go player spotting, but I’ll sure give it a go.

Roll on Fulham – Howay the lads!!

• Legolas

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Hi Norlinsen,

Have a look on Groupon. They are doing stadium tours at St James for £14. It saying that it’s normally £30.

• Spoof

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Ian

If you look at our squad and the ability within it and compare that to the rest of the clubs in this league then we are miles ahead, we may not have 2 or 3 superstars as we always do seem to have had over recent years but we have a large squad with good players throughout, if we don’t go up then there is no excuse, but I am confident that we will as I genuinely believe that Rafa is too good not to make that happen, so lets not have any of these lets not get ahead of ourselves and these it won’t be easy comments because there is no excuse, failing to get promoted could only happen due to really poor management and like I said, Rafa is too good for that.

• martoon

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Legolas & Norlinsen – There was a canny deal on Itison (I think they are called) where you got your Sunday dinner in the Magpie rooms for £8 per head and this included a mini stadium tour – we did it last week – the tour was everywhere except the dressing rooms which they don’t do now.

• check the toastie

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Too True Spoof, still need a left back mind and another winger, have my doubts about Aarons, hasn’t improved as hoped, but you never know.
    ————————–Sels——————————-
    -Janmmat—-Mbemba—Skipper—-Dummett——-
    —————-Hayden—–Shelvey——————–
    ——-Anita———Perez———Ritchie————–
    ———————-Gayle——————————

That would be my team for tonight, easy win.
    3-0 and away we go. Silverware.

• Norlinsen

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Lego and Martoon
    Thanks for the tips – I’ll have a look at both

• nut meg

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Jib
    Had my first pint aged 15 at the Ship a long long time ago.Managed by a family who still ran it as far as I know.
    bambams
    I’ve had many a beer in the Holystone over the years,last I heard it was a restaurant but was going to be changed again,is that right?

• Legolas

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Hi Martoon,

That’s sounds like a really good deal. I might do it myself even though I have done the tour many times before. Haha.

• nut meg

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM

ran=run

• jimmysmith

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Vino is becoming increasingly popular in China. An outrageously massive market. New Zealand literally dragged itself out of recession and into prosperity by selling dairy to China. We really shouldn’t be selling our vineyards to them. I suppose the thinking is that the owners should be allowed to sell to whomever they please. But really, c’mon, really.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Surprised to see so many reckoning on Shelvey starting. I think he should, but I would be expecting Rafa will play Anita, Hayden and Colback across the midfield. He seemed to prefer Anita and Colback to Shelvey last season, and Hayden seems likely to play the holding role.

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM

SLANK

They already own half of Queensland mate. Walking around the Gold Coast is like being in Asia. Hoever, the government here have recognised the fact regarding foreign investment and have instigated legislation to nake it nigh on impossible for the likes of the chinese to buy up the best properties.

JIB

Never liked the Blue Bell mate. I was distressed to see the Crown and the George had changed their names since I have been away. I think my local, the Jolly Miller, has changed too.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Absolutely buzzing for the game!! Wish I could be at the stadium though!!

HWTL.

• SPRINGY

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

morning all
    we all up a height for the match tonight people?….cant wait,lets all hope its no great anticlimax coz the enthusiasm around the fans is great to see,hear,feel….enjoy where ever u watch it,i’ll be in my local…pint in hand!
    also glad to see the janmaat story has vanished,dont like when players leave so close to start of a season,hoys a spanner in the works,he may still leave,as may others but would of preferred any out goings to be already gone and only incoming players to be seen,suppose all fans are like that tbh.

• Spoof

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

ToF

It seems that you like many others have left Aarons out, why is that, he is the only natural left winger we have, he has featured heavily in pre-season and he has scored and got assists in pre-season, why are so many leaving him out.

I agree with you about Shelvey, I would play him alongside Hayden but like yourself I think he will be left out for Colback, but I will be surprised if Aarons is left out for Anita, Ritchie has been playing on the right so Anita would have to go to the left or we scrap the pre-season and swap Ritchie to the left, personally I think it would be easier and more effective to have Aarons on the left and leave Ritchie in his best position which is the right.

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

IAN TOON

You should be ashamed of yourself mentioning that fcuking self appreciating prick Mourinho in the same breath as Rafa.

I see he has already caused problems at MUFC with his treatment of Schweinsteiger.

As a manager, Rafa is a million miles ahead of this pretender.

• SPRINGY

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM

the jolly miller,is that not the stone trough now?…or am i thinking of the wrong pub?

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM

My 10 year old daughter has just told me to wake her up at 5am to watch the game with me tomorrow morning.

Yeah……right

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM

SPRINGY

I am not sure what it is called now. I used to live in the estate behind it and even worked as a barman there for a while.

Been living in Oz fir the last 36 years though.

• Jib

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Don’t be surprised if Rafa plays 4-3-3 away from home for the start of the season .
    I think he’ll go with the 11 that started so well against Vitesse Arnhem
    Sels
    Janmaat
    Dummett
    Lascelles
    Hanley
    Hayden
    Colback
    Anita
    Perez
    Gayle
    Ritchie

• Ian Toon

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Spoof- Mate, it doesn’t do to be over confident. We haven’t achieved anything yet. I am sure Benitez realises that his reputation and damage to his CV rests on the outcome of the season ahead. I personally find that very reassuring.

However, as others have mentioned we would be foolish to make overly bold claims based on untried but apparent quality signings in a string of friendly games. Benitez has spoken of the need to get a balanced team and doubtless we’ll see recent signings and a few further new signings integrated over coming weeks.

This is the start of a new season I know who the favourites for promotion/ play offs are but it’s a little early to write off the rest of the league! I will wait until I have watched some of the forthcoming games.

• JamesToon

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

MATCHDAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

COME ON LADS LETS GET A WINNING START!!

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

SPINGY

Enjoy your pint mare. It will be a cuppa and a bacon buttie for me…….lol

• jimmysmith

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Expat, you have a ten year old daughter at your age, and you’re retired to the Mornington Peninsula.

Mmmm, life’s been too good to you.

• Ian Toon

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Jib- No Shelvey?

• clinath@ed

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Expat, like the look of you team selection from last thread….can’t make me mind up about the holding two though. All combinations look good, suppose it will depend if we go to win or just not lose!

• SPRINGY

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM

expat
    cant knock a bacon buttie at anytime tbh mate!!lol

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Jib@24, I find myself in agreement with you there.

• Spoof

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Ian

They are hardly untried, most are quite experienced and some experienced in this league, Diame, Ritchie, Hanley, Gamez, Gayle, Clark, Selz can hardly be classed as untried, Hayden perhaps so, sorry but excuse making doesn’t work, what I do is look at us and then look at the competition and we are in far greater shape, I doubt that even our opponents would disagree with that, so expecting that we succeed is not being foolish, it’s being honest because with what we have we should succeed, tell me one club who could genuinely claim that they could challenge us.

• Ian Toon

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Expat- but not at this moment in time.

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Jimmy

Couldnt be beter mate. I am 62. My wife is a gorgeous ex Russian lass, now 40 but still looks as fantastic as the day I married her 16 years ago. Our daughter was born when I was 51 and the wife was 29 and she is a fantastic kid.

I worked for the Victorian government for 33 yeaes and took a package at 58. We had no mottgage and on top of the package, i got a decent superannuation payout.

The wife is a leading teacher in a local secondary school and warns over $100K a year. I took on the toke of house husband so while she earns the crust, I fo all yhe hone futies

• jimmysmith

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Ya rotten bastard.

• Jib

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Ian
    Rafa’s pick not mine.
    That was exactly the starting line up last week and they all stayed on for over an hour.

• Jib

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM

I fo all yhe hone futies

EH!!

• Slank

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM

expatmag

When I was in Melbourne I was astonished at how many orientals there were walking about. But I can’t complain as I had a great Thai meal in a student cafe on the main drag up from the railway station (Flinders ?).

• expatmag

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM

CLINTH

Judging by where Rafa has been playing players in the last couple of games, I think that team is well placed to achieve a decent result away from home against committed opposition. It is the side I would start with.

SPRINGY

Not forgetting the Heinz tomato sauce.

The best bacon butties I have ever had was at Durgam Crien court