The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Why Lascelles Is The New Newcastle Captain

9:37 am, Friday, August 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 96 Comments

Rafa Benitez had all of pre-season to decide who will be the new captain at Newcastle now that Fabricio Coloccini has finally left the club and got his move to San Lorenzo.

And Rafa seems to have made the right choice in giving it to 22 year-old Jamaal Lascelles and he even gave tests to the youngster who led Newcastle out in all five pre-season friendly games.

rafa benitez jamaal lascelles

Manager Rafa Benitez and captain Jamaal Lascelles

This is what Rafa said during his press conference yesterday for the game at Fulham tonight – about why Jamaal was handed the captaincy:

“The player has grown quickly.” “He knows the responsibility of being captain of this massive club.”

“We know he is a young player, but he has the right mentality and he has the right players around to help him do the right thing for the team.”

“When you make the decision after analyzing the character of other players, we have some with very good mentality who have come in.”

“But he knows everything about the city, the club, the fans and he knows what it is like to be captain here.”

“He passed the test with a very good mark, I am really pleased and the teammates when I was talking with them realized he can be a good captain for us.”

“We could see his reaction last season and we see him every day, he pushed himself to improve and his teammates.”

“That helped us decide who could be captain.”

We thought when he first came in that Jesus Gamez may be the one Rafa would choose to lead the club, but we’ve been surprised Gamez has not had too many first team minutes so far.

But the fans are happy that Jamaal has the armband – he has the passion we all expect from a Newcastle captain and we’re sure he will do very very well.

Tags: Captain · Friendlies · Jamaal Lascelles · Management · Newcastle News

96 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slank // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Expatmag

Last time I was in Melbourne the papers printed quite a long list of all the vineyards now owned by the Chinese.

They will be buying Skippy soon !

• 2 Jib // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Expat
    You missed out the Bluebell !!!!
    🙁

• 3 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I wonder what the Forest fans make of this ?

• 4 Ian Toon // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Managing a relegation side and turning things around is a different job entirely to tweaking a once dominant side and getting them to return to their former glories. This is what Benitez and Mourinho are faced with this season. We are poles apart and we’ve got to start from way down the pile. Be of good cheer though Rafa has cast a spell on Mike Ashley and he now sees us as a football club

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves- I am filled with optimism for the season ahead but the counselling wisdom is undoubtedly with the likes of BandB and Tequila. I saw the Southend friendly but a good performance in a friendly counts for little! The start of the Championship season feels very much like entering into the unknown. In many ways it personally reminds me of the feeling when first doing exams. That brief moment before you look at the exam paper. In any event tonight could well be the start of something special with this being just the beginning.

Altered perceptions have restored hope. Benitez has given us that hope something that’s been lacking for more than a decade. The air of expectation going forward though is the real danger and with it complacency. It’s a long season and Brighton showed the pitfalls ahead ; from looking like they were going to walk the league.
    HWTL

• 5 Norlinsen // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Repost – As Ed is moving too fast for me
    Budge123, Wayayman, Jib and Thump, thank you all for some great responses, I am absolutely buzzing now!!
    Almost can’t wait to get among you all!

I will definitely do the stadium tour and a pre match pint, maybe even two as I love the local Newcastle Brown Ale!
    Not sure if I can convince my lass to go player spotting, but I’ll sure give it a go.

Roll on Fulham – Howay the lads!!

• 6 Legolas // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Hi Norlinsen,

Have a look on Groupon. They are doing stadium tours at St James for £14. It saying that it’s normally £30.

• 7 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Ian

If you look at our squad and the ability within it and compare that to the rest of the clubs in this league then we are miles ahead, we may not have 2 or 3 superstars as we always do seem to have had over recent years but we have a large squad with good players throughout, if we don’t go up then there is no excuse, but I am confident that we will as I genuinely believe that Rafa is too good not to make that happen, so lets not have any of these lets not get ahead of ourselves and these it won’t be easy comments because there is no excuse, failing to get promoted could only happen due to really poor management and like I said, Rafa is too good for that.

• 8 martoon // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Legolas & Norlinsen – There was a canny deal on Itison (I think they are called) where you got your Sunday dinner in the Magpie rooms for £8 per head and this included a mini stadium tour – we did it last week – the tour was everywhere except the dressing rooms which they don’t do now.

• 9 check the toastie // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Too True Spoof, still need a left back mind and another winger, have my doubts about Aarons, hasn’t improved as hoped, but you never know.
    ————————–Sels——————————-
    -Janmmat—-Mbemba—Skipper—-Dummett——-
    —————-Hayden—–Shelvey——————–
    ——-Anita———Perez———Ritchie————–
    ———————-Gayle——————————

That would be my team for tonight, easy win.
    3-0 and away we go. Silverware.

• 10 Norlinsen // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Lego and Martoon
    Thanks for the tips – I’ll have a look at both

• 11 nut meg // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Jib
    Had my first pint aged 15 at the Ship a long long time ago.Managed by a family who still ran it as far as I know.
    bambams
    I’ve had many a beer in the Holystone over the years,last I heard it was a restaurant but was going to be changed again,is that right?

• 12 Legolas // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Hi Martoon,

That’s sounds like a really good deal. I might do it myself even though I have done the tour many times before. Haha.

• 13 nut meg // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM

ran=run

• 14 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Vino is becoming increasingly popular in China. An outrageously massive market. New Zealand literally dragged itself out of recession and into prosperity by selling dairy to China. We really shouldn’t be selling our vineyards to them. I suppose the thinking is that the owners should be allowed to sell to whomever they please. But really, c’mon, really.

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Surprised to see so many reckoning on Shelvey starting. I think he should, but I would be expecting Rafa will play Anita, Hayden and Colback across the midfield. He seemed to prefer Anita and Colback to Shelvey last season, and Hayden seems likely to play the holding role.

• 16 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM

SLANK

They already own half of Queensland mate. Walking around the Gold Coast is like being in Asia. Hoever, the government here have recognised the fact regarding foreign investment and have instigated legislation to nake it nigh on impossible for the likes of the chinese to buy up the best properties.

JIB

Never liked the Blue Bell mate. I was distressed to see the Crown and the George had changed their names since I have been away. I think my local, the Jolly Miller, has changed too.

• 17 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Absolutely buzzing for the game!! Wish I could be at the stadium though!!

HWTL.

• 18 SPRINGY // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

morning all
    we all up a height for the match tonight people?….cant wait,lets all hope its no great anticlimax coz the enthusiasm around the fans is great to see,hear,feel….enjoy where ever u watch it,i’ll be in my local…pint in hand!
    also glad to see the janmaat story has vanished,dont like when players leave so close to start of a season,hoys a spanner in the works,he may still leave,as may others but would of preferred any out goings to be already gone and only incoming players to be seen,suppose all fans are like that tbh.

• 19 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

ToF

It seems that you like many others have left Aarons out, why is that, he is the only natural left winger we have, he has featured heavily in pre-season and he has scored and got assists in pre-season, why are so many leaving him out.

I agree with you about Shelvey, I would play him alongside Hayden but like yourself I think he will be left out for Colback, but I will be surprised if Aarons is left out for Anita, Ritchie has been playing on the right so Anita would have to go to the left or we scrap the pre-season and swap Ritchie to the left, personally I think it would be easier and more effective to have Aarons on the left and leave Ritchie in his best position which is the right.

• 20 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

IAN TOON

You should be ashamed of yourself mentioning that fcuking self appreciating prick Mourinho in the same breath as Rafa.

I see he has already caused problems at MUFC with his treatment of Schweinsteiger.

As a manager, Rafa is a million miles ahead of this pretender.

• 21 SPRINGY // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM

the jolly miller,is that not the stone trough now?…or am i thinking of the wrong pub?

• 22 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM

My 10 year old daughter has just told me to wake her up at 5am to watch the game with me tomorrow morning.

Yeah……right

• 23 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM

SPRINGY

I am not sure what it is called now. I used to live in the estate behind it and even worked as a barman there for a while.

Been living in Oz fir the last 36 years though.

• 24 Jib // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Don’t be surprised if Rafa plays 4-3-3 away from home for the start of the season .
    I think he’ll go with the 11 that started so well against Vitesse Arnhem
    Sels
    Janmaat
    Dummett
    Lascelles
    Hanley
    Hayden
    Colback
    Anita
    Perez
    Gayle
    Ritchie

• 25 Ian Toon // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Spoof- Mate, it doesn’t do to be over confident. We haven’t achieved anything yet. I am sure Benitez realises that his reputation and damage to his CV rests on the outcome of the season ahead. I personally find that very reassuring.

However, as others have mentioned we would be foolish to make overly bold claims based on untried but apparent quality signings in a string of friendly games. Benitez has spoken of the need to get a balanced team and doubtless we’ll see recent signings and a few further new signings integrated over coming weeks.

This is the start of a new season I know who the favourites for promotion/ play offs are but it’s a little early to write off the rest of the league! I will wait until I have watched some of the forthcoming games.

• 26 JamesToon // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

MATCHDAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

COME ON LADS LETS GET A WINNING START!!

• 27 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

SPINGY

Enjoy your pint mare. It will be a cuppa and a bacon buttie for me…….lol

• 28 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Expat, you have a ten year old daughter at your age, and you’re retired to the Mornington Peninsula.

Mmmm, life’s been too good to you.

• 29 Ian Toon // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Jib- No Shelvey?

• 30 clinath@ed // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Expat, like the look of you team selection from last thread….can’t make me mind up about the holding two though. All combinations look good, suppose it will depend if we go to win or just not lose!

• 31 SPRINGY // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM

expat
    cant knock a bacon buttie at anytime tbh mate!!lol

• 32 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Jib@24, I find myself in agreement with you there.

• 33 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Ian

They are hardly untried, most are quite experienced and some experienced in this league, Diame, Ritchie, Hanley, Gamez, Gayle, Clark, Selz can hardly be classed as untried, Hayden perhaps so, sorry but excuse making doesn’t work, what I do is look at us and then look at the competition and we are in far greater shape, I doubt that even our opponents would disagree with that, so expecting that we succeed is not being foolish, it’s being honest because with what we have we should succeed, tell me one club who could genuinely claim that they could challenge us.

• 34 Ian Toon // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Expat- but not at this moment in time.

• 35 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Jimmy

Couldnt be beter mate. I am 62. My wife is a gorgeous ex Russian lass, now 40 but still looks as fantastic as the day I married her 16 years ago. Our daughter was born when I was 51 and the wife was 29 and she is a fantastic kid.

I worked for the Victorian government for 33 yeaes and took a package at 58. We had no mottgage and on top of the package, i got a decent superannuation payout.

The wife is a leading teacher in a local secondary school and warns over $100K a year. I took on the toke of house husband so while she earns the crust, I fo all yhe hone futies

• 36 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Ya rotten bastard.

• 37 Jib // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Ian
    Rafa’s pick not mine.
    That was exactly the starting line up last week and they all stayed on for over an hour.

• 38 Jib // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM

I fo all yhe hone futies

EH!!

• 39 Slank // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM

expatmag

When I was in Melbourne I was astonished at how many orientals there were walking about. But I can’t complain as I had a great Thai meal in a student cafe on the main drag up from the railway station (Flinders ?).

• 40 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM

CLINTH

Judging by where Rafa has been playing players in the last couple of games, I think that team is well placed to achieve a decent result away from home against committed opposition. It is the side I would start with.

SPRINGY

Not forgetting the Heinz tomato sauce.

The best bacon butties I have ever had was at Durgam Crien court

• 41 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Durham Crown Court

• 42 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM

JIB

Sincere apologies. A combination of typing on the phone and 5 glasses of a nice little merlot on a friday night.

Shoukd have read…..I do all the home duties

• 43 Ian Toon // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Spoof- None of the teams have any points yet. It’s a level playing field and fans have cause for optimism. Rafa himself spoke of the need for balance and to integrate players Into the side. It would be great if we hit the ground running but I am sure Benitez will recognise the need for some tweaking and for variation in our play. I would have thought the side needs time to gel and did mention the need to be patient. On the BBC phone in.

• 44 Slank // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Expatmag

My wife’s cousin (4 times removed) was the Australian Poet Laureate who opened the great exhibition at the end of the 19th century.

He was also a leader of the temperance league which seems a thorough;y pointless activity anywhere especially Australia. His son was a leading Melbourne / Victoria politician and Meaden Street was named after him.

• 45 Average_Contents // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Well it’s flown by lads n lasses.

Matchday. Get the fcuk in!! Can’t wait, work then a few bevvies at the in laws later.

What a day it’ll be if we win tonight. Past my driving test earlier 🙂

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• 46 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Don’t stay up too late expat, we need our sleep at our age . I’m about to take a couple of tablets now, wash them down with a J&B, and that should knock me out for a good wee while. Set the alarm, and up to watch the game two hours before daylight! That’s life here eh?

• 47 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:57 AM

SLANK

Flinders Street station is iconic, mate. One of Australias much loved and famed structures.

Bexause we are geographically situated on Asias doorstep and because Melbiurne, as a city, is regularly voted as the worlds most liveable city, we have seen an influx of asians in the past 20 years and nany students due to our highly rated education systems.

• 48 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Ian

I’m not saying that it’s job done and we can relax and stroll through the season, but what I am saying is that we are far stronger than our opponents and as a result we should win this league, so lets not go down the road of needing to settle in, complacency and all that type of stuff, yes we still have work plenty of it to do but there is no excuse for failure when you compare us to our rivals, I really cannot see where your coming from as we are blatantly better than the rest and we should succeed.

• 49 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM

TOF

I think the bottle of Wolf Blass merlot will have me in bed beforethe clock strikes 10 mate……lol

• 50 Spoof // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM

AC

Congratulations, well done !

• 51 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM

It’s here at last. Cant wait for tonight. Optimism time. 2-0 to the toon.

A_C

Congrats on the driving test. Been a while since i drove. 2004.

Just be careful out there, there are a lot of ignorant fcukers on the road theses days…especially cyclists.

• 52 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Theses?? These*
    I went into Gollum mode there!

• 53 Graeme // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Martoon – if not too late

Final League Position 1st
    Final no. of points 98
    League Cup round semi-final
    FA Cup round 5th Round
    Player of the Season (Blog) Richie
    Top goal scorer (TGS) Gayle
    No. of goals for TGS 24

• 54 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:04 AM

YCMIU

I agree

A 2-0 win but it wont be easy.

• 55 BandB // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Spoof,

A majority of posters thought we were blatantly good enough to finish top ten last season. Many a slip between cup and lip.
    My point is that if we are 1-0 down at half time tonight the blog will be awash with people who thought we were invincible this morning having a nervous breakdown and calling for heads to roll.

• 56 Fatladfrizy // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Could any of you kind fellow Geordies recommend a link or site that I can access the match on tonight please? I have hand foot and mouth and am staying at my parents in isolation away from my Mrs and little lad in case they catch my germs. I have no telly in the room here and my man and dad don’t want me out of my isolation chamber for fear of infection! I hope I’m better for 1st home game first ST last season re-newed this season! 4-1 toon, MO MO, M M MO MO, M M MO MO MO MO MO DIAME!

• 57 SPRINGY // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM

expat
    got to disagree with you there mate,got to hp brown sauce on a bacon buttie,sounds like u’ve got a canny life for ya sell mate,good for you,enjoy it.

• 58 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Expat

Yeah, an away day for the first game is always tough. Everything crossed for a good start.

• 59 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:13 AM

We’d a had top ten side had we had Benitez or similar rather than McC. This is a good group and a good manager. It’s rubbish to be relegated, but it’s quite correct to be happy that we appear to have our club back, and it is a big and wonderful club by any standard.

• 60 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Got to be Chop brown sauce on a bacon buttie, like.

• 61 SPRINGY // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM

ycmiu
    forgot about the old chop brown sauce…..either of the two for me then!lol

• 62 clinath@ed // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Ahh , the life of a TOON fan eh BandB?

• 63 sparky55 // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Expat mag

Sounds like a good gig to me.

Lot’s to be envious about right there mate but I’m gannin’ to the match the neet to watch the start of the Rafa revolution!

Hahahaha

• 64 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM

SPRINGY

Very lucky indeed. I have no complaints and count my blessings.

YCMIU

Worse case scenario is a draw

• 65 Average_Contents // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Past? Wtf! Passed. Duh.

• 66 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM

PARKY

We are not called the lucky country for nothing mate……lol

Enjoy the game. I will be watching from 10000 miles away and a 9 hour time difference….lol

• 67 sparky55 // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I can see us getting four tonight…they’ll be reeling over losing their best two players…it’s gonna be a fun year this one…well looking forward to it and a mid table finish in the Prem next year 🙂 🙂

• 68 clinath@ed // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM

In theory it is a good time to be playing them Sparky55
    Lets hope we can take advantage

• 69 SPRINGY // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM

expat
    the stone trough is the old jolly miller,it was closed as the jolly miller after newcastles relegation caused punters to smash the bar up,reopened in 2012 as the stone trough,just in case you were wondering.

• 70 lesh // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM

If it’s already been posted, apologies but this is a good article from Louise Taylor. Rafa’s talked a lot of sense about the squad, what he’s been doing with it and particularly, why.

• 71 Average_Contents // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Thank btw. Needed too.

• 72 martoon // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Graeme – not too late – I’ll take them up to the start of tonight’s game.
    BandB – you are right even if the worst comes to the worst and we lose tonight it is a long old season and bit early for nervous breakdowns yet!

• 73 firebug666 // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM

All ready for tonight now, got my beers ready, and a bottle of Glenfiddich for my celebratory drink at full time.

AC

Well done marra, just like me you now own the road, though I own the footpaths to on my mobility scooter 😀

• 74 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM

SORINGY

Is that true?

Dear me….must have got a lot of riff raff in from Allerdene……lol

• 75 expatmag // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:37 AM

FIREBUG

What about a nice bottle if Glenmorange or even a Glayva?

• 76 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Parents just had an interesting call from someone claiming to be BT openreach. Said they had recieved a request to cancel thier internet (supplied by sky). No such requesr was sent, and they claimed that a faulty line can auto send a request. Said we had to fill in a form online to cancel the request. A called bollocks and hung up. Ringing bt now to tell them about it.

• 77 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM

I called

• 78 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Been on hold for 14 mins.

• 79 Legolas // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Interesting, fans have Ross McCormack as leading goal scorer. Mitro doesn’t even make the list.

• 80 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Dodged a bullet with McCormack. Not a Premiership striker. Well played Rafa.

• 81 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Congratulations AC. I know it won’t mean much coming from me but you deserve it. Passing isn’t easy these days, I’m dreading the thought of me being rejected when I start my lessons.

• 82 JamesToon // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:47 AM

AC

Well done mate, passed mine at the start of july with 0 minors 🙂

• 83 Essex Geordie Bill // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Aah, the Dun Cow, I remember it well as one of the regulars on our Dunston pub crawls. Many of the others are either closed or become gastro pubs.

Expat your team is the one I’d have picked apart from perhaps Darlow for Sels.

As for the Chinese I tend to agree with Teresa May, I wouldn’t put too much trust in their input to the designing of the Nuclear waste of money white elephant. They could hold us to ransom if we were to fall out with them.

Anyway tonight will be a tough test as our lads pick their way around buses, 1-0 to us I reckon.

• 84 JamesToon // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I remember when Lascelles was first bought in, and myself and a few others had very high hopes for the lad, and after he came back from forest a lot of people doubted him, but i always thought this guy would make it. The way and what he said after the southampton game was incredibly brave and honest, and then it just gave me goosebumps when he got the first goal against swansea, just sums up his determination and it proved dividends. And now to be captain…just feel so proud for him. Telling you now, Lascelles will soon be playing for england in the next few years.

• 85 firebug666 // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:52 AM

expat

Would drink them all marra, but i have what i have now just hope we have a celebration to open it. 2-0 Toon.

HWTL

• 86 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM

0 minors? Well done sir. That is quite something.

• 87 Wayayman // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Buzzin. Anyone else here going to the match tonight?

• 88 Wayayman // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Oh and does anyone remember what that website was that showed the games as live afterwards?

• 89 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Wayayman, i wish.

• 90 Moonraker15 // Aug 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Did Colo ever speak to the fans in an interview or statement? I never heard him speak in all his years at Newcastle! An incredible situation for a PL club or any club really!
    Like others, I have never felt so optimistic about a season; not so much about winning games because I think there will be difficult ones and we are gonna have to stick with the team when all is not going well!
    It’s more that we have a man in charge who is so on the case you have to pinch yourself at times!
    I can see at least 2 more big signings but it’s win win with Sissoko because if he stays we will win the league as he will murder these teams. If he goes we’ll have 30 mil to spend ! Happy days and good luck to the lads tonight. I couldn’t get a ticket but will be screaming at the tv tonight!
    HWTL!

• 91 off the ball // Aug 5, 2016 at 12:00 PM

it makes a change that we could put two teams out tonight based on the squad list when you put them on paper its hardto see which is the better

eds team from earlier thread

sels
    janmaat mbemba lascelles dummett
    aarons colback anita ritchie
    perez gayle

or

darlow

gamez hanley clark haidara diame shelvey hayden gouffran
    mitro dejong

ive left sissoko out for obvious reasons

but going off the squad youve still got krul armstrong riviere sterry mbabu to put in where you want got to be the strongest squad wise weve ever been

• 92 Wayayman // Aug 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Moonraker, I wouldnt even know what Collo sounded like to be honest. I just picture Julio Geordio every time I think about it

• 93 firebug666 // Aug 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Moonraker15

Apart from the occasional “Open Letter” to the fans Coloccini was a quiet as he was on the pitch.

We now have a real captain who will give an interview, and keep the fans informed and a manager who will do likewise.

Good times to come.

• 94 Essex Geordie Bill // Aug 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Going out on a limb but in addition to my Martoon predictions I think we will have 30 clean sheets and concede thirty goals with probably a 5-0 thrashing from some body. Not tonight though.

• 95 JamesToon // Aug 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM

wayayman

i remember there was a website called gettyfooty, dont know if its still up but that showed full match replays

• 96 Average_Contents // Aug 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Mark

Good job you did mate, they’d most likely try and send a trojan or sniffer hack in through the external line straight into the modem/hub once they’d gained permission (probably what the online form was for)and then be able to access any devices connected to the Internet. Log key strokes for banking info and the like.

Dirty fcukers mate.

Thanks for the congrats guys. Well done James lol. I got 2.

previous post: A Potent Message From The Captain