The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez Opts For Loan Deal For 19 Year-Old

1:01 pm, Tuesday, August 9th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 45 Comments

The Scottish Sun is reporting today that Glasgow Rangers have targeted a loan move for Newcastle’s young 19 year-old local striker Adam Armstrong.

Rangers manager Mark Warburton is after another striker, with Martyn Waghorn having picked up a hamstring injury, and Adam Armstrong is reported to be in the manager’s sights.

adam armstrong

Adam Armstrong – 19 year-old young Newcastle striker

Rafa may not want to send Adam out on loan to another Championship club, so a season in the Scottish Premier League may be the answer – as long as Adam gets enough playing time north of the border.

It’s also not surprising that several Championship clubs in England want the England U-19 International.

Rafa has hinted before that it may be best to send Adam out on loan for the coming season.

This is what he has said recently about the youngster, who nevertheless wants to stay on Tyneside and prove himself this season:

“I will be very honest, we had a Championship team asking to take him on loan, and I think it could be good for him.”

“He is a young player looking to prove himself in our team, when we are trying to win every single game, and that will be difficult,”

“I was trying to be honest with him. Adam came to my office and he said: ‘No, I want to try and stay here and for you to give me a chance.’”

“I told him: ‘OK, no problem, you will stay here and we’ll decide in two-to-three weeks and see where we are.’ “

“But he knows my opinion, he knows my idea, but we will decide in the coming days because I want to make sure we do the best for him but also for the team.”

Adam should understand that Rafa will do what’s best for him and he has had 30 years of coaching experience with young players – so Rafa knows what to do with youngsters.

We do think Adam will go out on loan this season and whereas a Championship club would have been best – Newcastle will not particularly want to loan him out to another club in the same league, so a loan north of the border is a possibility.

Rafa needs to make a decision on Adam within a couple of weeks, but we think it’s now almost certain he will opt for a loan deal for Armstrong.

Of course if he scores a hat-trick for us on Saturday against Huddersfield that could change things.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Championship · Coaching · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

45 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM

A good way to do a loan deal for this lad. Scottish prem is a good mix of championship level and PL. Level, so this should either make him or find his level.

• 2 Mag52 // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:08 PM

A player out through injury is a player out through injury, whether in the premier league or in the championship.

• 3 Rotonda heights // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:08 PM

just get this horrible feeling it may never quite happen for him in a B+W shirt. Hope I’m wrong.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Nut meg

Aye he looks canny. Seems comfortable coming off a wing, or in the middle. Good with both feet, and can put in a decent free kick. Wonder if our scouting network has spotted him

• 5 JamesToon // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Brendan Galloway – Loan
    Ryan Fraser – Loan
    Britt Assombalonga – £10m

Moussa Sissoko – £30m
    Emmanuel Riviere – £3m

• 6 JamesToon // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Loan out Arma if we must.

Would give us depth those signings.

Diame/De Jong

• 7 JamesToon // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Try and get Knockaert if we can, need someone like him along with a pacey winger to unlock defences

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:15 PM

We’d be lucky to get 30 pence for Rivvy 😀

• 9 martoon // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:16 PM

I’ve yet to be convinced by Arma but I really want him to do well – I think we should keep him a bit longer and see how he does in the first few games.

• 10 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:17 PM

The last time we loaned a Geordie for a season to the SPL it was Fraser Forster 🙁

• 11 nut meg // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM

He’s been doing it consistently for a few years now so they should be aware of him…but! 23 years old so still room for improvement.

• 12 tomellifred360 // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Fantasy Football League for NUFC fans. All welcome to join.

• 13 MadisonToon // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:21 PM

So the loan deal for Armstrong is completed? Am I missing something with the headline?

Would be good for him to stay for a bit at least until Mitro is back to see if he’s slotting into the team. Loans have a longer window so keeping him through the first 10 games would let both he and Rafa figure out if he’ll be an important contributor this season or not.

• 14 nut meg // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Was it not Paul Dummett?

• 15 geordie157 // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Agree with JamesToon, Assombolonga is just what we need.

Galloway seems to be pretty much a done deal.

I’d try and take Moses on loan or someone similar to Ritchie but to play on the left.

Saivet and Tiote departures have gone quiet too.

• 16 NUFCPaul // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Really don’t mind Galloway being a loan only, we just need him to do a job this season for us. If he helps us get back up then we can attract a better LB with our Premier League money and status.

• 17 martoon // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM

tomellifred360 – you never stop trying do you? Surely the point of a league is to compete with people you know not randoms who just happen to support NUFC

• 18 NUFCPaul // Aug 9, 2016 at 1:55 PM

All this talk of KK’s old team is really taking me back. Standing behind the goal and watching Mike ‘Super’ Hooper having another disaster in goal. My memory is fuzzy though, was he in KK’s team or before that? Either way, I’ve always played goalkeeper so when Pav came in he was my hero. I shed a tear when we lost him at such a young age. He was a lovely lad.

Oh, and a special mention for Killer Kilcline. We could do with someone like him this season. A bruiser who takes no prisoners, diving in with his head where others wouldn’t dare. God, I miss those days so much.

• 19 martoon // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM

NUFCPaul @18 – I miss some of the players but I don’t miss the old stands. Crushed every time a goal was scored and the toilets were a disgusting open sewer. At least now you can sit in comfort and get a drink in a reasonable bar.

• 20 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM

nut meg
    I could split hairs and say Dummett spent 2 half-seasons with the Buddies ( he came back to SJP to play in an FA cuptie against Brighton in January) but I guess that’s nit picking.

• 21 Spoof // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:06 PM

with all due respect is what tomellifred360 doing not similar to your own ?

Prediction games and fantasy leagues are all just a bit of fun.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Conor Newton as well.

• 23 Tsunki // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:12 PM

How long did the Famous Five spend at Rangers under carvers tenure?

• 24 Tsunki // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:14 PM

That was when they were still in the SC but that was a weird affair. What was Ashley trying to do there?

• 25 Our Toon // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:18 PM

2 creative players, a winger and Galloway would he perfect.

Think rafa is missing a trick by not playing tiote though, especially in the championship, let him leave on a free next season after we get promoted as promotion is worth so much more.

Not fussed on another forward, you can’t score if no one creates, the problem is with creativity

• 26 Belfast // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:27 PM

This would probably be the best possible loan move for him if he’s going anywhere. Playing in front of 50 thousand and having to win most weeks. It’s a pretty poor standard though.

• 27 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Tenfield is a Uruguayan footy website.
    Interesting that Hernandez is talking about moving and mentions us and Villa

• 28 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:30 PM

C’mon Rafa you know you read this blog.
    Put a bid in for Abel.

• 29 martoon // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Spoof @21 – Yes they are a bit of fun but when you setup a private league it is so you can compete directly against friends, family, workmates etc. There is already a blog league for people who want to play against other posters (we do sort of know each other although not personally). I just find it very strange that a poster who I have never seen before is constantly pestering people to join his league!

• 30 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Young Newton was born in Whickham
    Do they count as Geordies ?

• 31 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Bigirimana (Burundi), Vuckic (Slovenia) , M’babu (Switzerland, Streete (Aylesbury , and Ferguson (Derry) – defo not Geordies

• 32 The American // Aug 9, 2016 at 2:55 PM

It seems like a tough decision but personally I would like to send him on loan. A reasonable talent to be sure but he needs to get a good run out so that we know he can perform above the League One dominance he showed last year with a Championship team. If we don’t do that I say keep him on and use him as an impact sub for Perez or whoever is behind the striker.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:08 PM

And Forster in Hexham…..

• 34 Ron Knee // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Sissoko likes watching The Young and the Restless:-

“Après une bonne séance d’entraînement voilà le moment que j’adore. Relax Sur mon canapé devant Les Feux De L’amour”

• 35 BandB // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:20 PM

Before you scour the internet to find the definitive definition of Geordie, I can tell you there isn’t one. It has baffled the finest minds.
    You will be able to cobble together a cock-and-bull theory to fit your statement that of those mentioned only Forster and Dummett are Geordies by simply ignoring any evidence that contradicts your aims.
    In any case, to have any relevance at all, your original point has to refer only to Newcastle United players who have gone to the SPL. I am sure plenty of Geordies have played there.

• 36 Jammy-D // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Translation below from your link… seems like he was asked about speculation and links to us. He didn’t say he wouldn’t be interested 😉

“The situation of the club has me concerned that we are at the beginning, without a coach and players is very difficult. I have worried and surprised after the effort made to ascend. Aston Villa has not called me, it is a serious team. If they did not hesitate. The coach was until two weeks ago. He had a discussion with the president. We are training with the coach. We also hope you get a player. It is a very tough championship. We debuted with Leicester. Newcastle and Aston Villa are two serious clubs. I have not had contact with any. From the contractual point of view there is no problem. I have one year left on his contract. Personally, I would like to stay in England. I adapted. They are important games in the qualifiers. We need to change the image of the America’s Cup. This group showed that comes out ahead in difficult times”

• 37 BandB // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:27 PM

It was Forster and Armstrong wasn’t it?
    Personally, I think we are light on strikers already.

• 38 JAMSHA // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Didnt able say he supports nufc?

• 39 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:48 PM

The only person who ever attempted any explanation of the origin of “Geordie” was my Grandad who was North Shields born and bred.
    The story goes thus:-
    In November 1745 when Carlisle surrended to the Jacobite army of Bonny Prince Charlie (Charles Edward Stuart) Newcastle was in turmoil and a fever of apprehension with suspected spies everywhere.
    The Mayor of the day ,Cuthbert Smith , called an assembly of citizens in front of the old Town Hall (approx the present day Bigg Market) and after a rousing speech asked the assembled throng to acclaim the King – George 2nd.
    He phrased it thus – shouting
    “Whey’s fer Geordie”
    To which the crowd roard in reply
    “We’re fer Geordie”
    Hence Geordies

Some versions have that he called him “Jorman Geordie” (he was a Hanoverian )

• 40 Mister Tuff // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM

The various definitions of “Geordie” are usually denied by folks who do not fit into the definitions.
    Their search for an identity will never end.

• 41 nightfa11 // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM

• 42 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM

• 43 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM

People talk of a Geordie nation.
    I’m not so sure.
    Are the folk of Alnwick Geordies? With the rolling of their “R”s (said to be in imitation of Harry Hotspur who had that speech defect) I think of them as Northumbrians.
    Do they consider themselves Geordies ?

• 44 spaghetti bandit // Aug 9, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Jib you can surely not say Forster is a Geordie then question wether someone from whickham is??

• 45 Moonraker15 // Aug 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Geordies are “Tynesiders” ! In fact I would say it could spread further afield. I have a mate from Boldon Colliery and he always says he’s a Geordie! Anyway there’s no point trying to pinpoint it if your from the region that’s good enough for me. It’s similar to Cockneys who the true definition is ” born within the sound of Bow bells” but actually we probably consider all Londoners to be “Cockneys” !

previous post: This Deal Would Make A Lot More Sense For Newcastle