The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Still Plans Bunch Of Arrivals And Departures In August

8:14 am, Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

It was always going to be a tricky and difficult task for Rafa Benitez and Lee Charnley to bring in a bunch of new players and let others leave this summer, as Rafa tries to rebuild the Newcastle squad from the ground up.

But many players have now left or are leaving who should have been cleared out long before now.

Newcastle have done surprisingly well so far this summer and while Premier League sides seem to be trying to outdo each other on how high a transfer fee they can pay out, Newcastle have made some great deals.

rafa benitez training

Rafa Benitez in training

Here’s how Newcastle have done so far in this transfer window.

Matz Sels£4.5MKAA Gent
Jamie SterryLoan - JanuaryCoventry City
Haris VuckicLoan - JanuaryBradford City
Sammy AmeobiLoan - JanuaryBolton Wanderers
Moussa Sissoko£30MTottenham Hotspur
Transfer Fees Out£85.5M
Net Spend-£31M

But with almost a new team on the field it may take a few weeks to get things working smoothly  – and we witnessed some of that that last Friday at Fulham.

Fans have to be patient – as hard as that is after the last two disastrous seasons on Tyneside.

But Rafa showed when he came in last March that he doesn’t take many games to get things sorted out, so we are hoping Newcastle can be on track before the end of this month with three home games in the next four games coming up.

Brendan Galloway will join on loan today from Everton for the season, but Rafa also needs to get some players off the books.

The most likely players to leave before September are Emmanuel Riviere, Siem de Jong, Cheick Tiote and of course that world-class player in his own mind – Moussa Sissoko.

There is interest in Riviere from Hamburg and his former club AS Monaco and news yesterday that PSV want Siem de Jong on loan for the season.

Cheick Tiote could still leave for a club in the far east and hopefully some club will come in and take Moussa Sissoko off our hands for some very high transfer fee.

Moussa continues to enrage Newcastle fans with his immature comments to the French press and is said to be training on his own.

Rafa still wants to bring in a striker and a winger in addition to young Galloway – and if he cannot get the right players in permanently he could well go for more loan deals.

The manager is trying to increase the size of the squad as well as the competition for places in what is expected to be a very hard and tough season for Newcastle.

There are exactly three weeks to go in the summer transfer window so it’s looking like it’s a watershed transfer window for the club, as Rafa completely overhauls the squad.

Almost half the starting team at Craven Cottage were players making their Newcastle debuts.

We have to admit there are more players coming in and more moving out than we expected – but that’s good and Rafa certainly doesn’t mess about.

That’s very good and just what the club needed – some real decisiveness.

Note: The initiative “It’s Not Just Black and White” was partly inspired by the recent sad paparazzi photos of Paul Gascoigne, and a number of supporters have banded together to draw attention to the complexities of mental health and alcoholism – their action line is “It’s not just black and white”.

The group is not asking for donations but is simply keen to raise awareness of the problem through their web-site here.

Tags: Coaching · Financials · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 kilcline // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Offer Burnley £25m for Gray and be done with it, even make it “cool” cash.

Or offer cash plus a player they need a position strengthening in, sure they would take Colback haha.

Money comes from Sissoko sale to Juve.

• 2 msk21dec // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Just need to get some prolific scorer thats it. Need someone from premier lge teams surplus to requirements. Like bony. Ings if we dont need another big striker. Id take chance with crouch tbh. Cheeky rashford loan maybe. Benteke on loan just give him game time. Berahino?

• 3 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:52 AM

I see Phil Thompson is saying he would love to see Sissoko in a Liverpool shirt , that says a lot about Tommo as a judge of a footballer.

The dippers fans are pretty underwhelmed by Wijnaldum so MS ending up at Anfield is pretty remote – having said that there are quite a few reds players I wouldn’t mind seeing in a black’nwhite shirt.

• 4 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Bony, Benteke etc wow, we still in the the prem?

We could buy the most prolific of goalscorers but wouldn’t make a difference as we create nothing, 2 shots on Friday that summed up our creativity

• 5 Fostino // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Jesus lascalles mbemba galloway
    Janmaat Diame tiote sissoko ritchie

• 6 nut meg // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I’m sure I read this earlier and it said David Thompson not Phil.

• 7 hibbitt // Aug 10, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Our Toon

think some on here are in cuckoo land not the championship

• 8 MrShort88 // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM

I’d take a punt on Ulloa to lead the line. Shelvey to start ahead of the useless Colback for the weekend! Can’t wait to get into St James’ come Saturday … 3 points on the board to get the ball rolling!

• 9 robertsleftfoot // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Bony or Benteke wouldnt come and play in the championship if we gave them £200k a week……. They will get moves to prem clubs and big juicy signing on fees!!!

I think there must be some people on here who still think we are big rich club in the premier league beating teams in the top 6…..

Reality check people we are in the championship and will need to loan young kids with potential from BIG clubs or purchase players in the McCormack ilk!!!!

Benteke or Bony wouldnt sign for us in the prem let alone the championship……

Bolasie for £30mill !!!! Wow Sissoko must be worth £50mill

• 10 wynsleap // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:28 AM

“It may take a few weeks to get things working smoothly”
    I’m sorry but we don’t have that time luxury. Failure to get in the top two at the end of this season (or 3rd by the playoffs) will mean all the major prize money is gone. No more parachute payments etc. Remember Leeds?
    We HAVE to get off the ground running and running hard starting this weekend. A bad start is NOT what we want.
    Get that effective striker and midfield creator in now even if we have to sell Sissoko a little under what we want.

• 11 tomellifred360 // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Fantasy Football League for NUFC fans. All welcome to join.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Every article about what we are after details an experienced striker, if that is right then surely reports on Castaignos are wide of the mark? 23 years old, a few years first team in Holland and failed to cut it in Germany and Italy? Hardly screams experience.

• 13 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:31 AM

As has been mentioned, people believing that we could get Bony or Benteke are living in cuckoo land but Ulloa from Leicester has been mentioned and that could be a good shout, he’s only cover for the Foxes so he could be tempted and he has always impressed me when I’ve seen him, downside is that he is a target man and I get the impression that Rafa would rather have a quick and nimble striker, I still think that Danny Ings could be tempted, surely playing for us week in week out with the possibility of doing the same next season hopefully in the PL would be a bigger appeal than playing in front of a few hundred or so for the Liverpool reserve team !

• 14 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:38 AM

We sold an experienced striker. EPL, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Internationals. 150 goals, 350 appearances. Sold him as easy as sand slipping through your fingers.

Cisse wouldn’t have provided competition and goals for one last season in the Championship, before relinquishing his place in the squad just as we regain our place in the top flight, and with it our capacity to attract a genuine first class striker to replace him?

• 15 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Some really need a reality check. We’re in a mess and in the Championship not Champions League. The only one pulling it all together is Rafa. Yet he can’t perform miracles. Though we have to start producing the goods on the pitch soon as a bad start is no good for nobody. It will make players more anxious and afraid to make mistakes and play comfortably. We need our players playing with confidence.

We seriously need a LB, Winger, AM and ST and fast.

• 16 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:40 AM

sorry to disagree but we do have a bit of time to get things sorted out, 5/6 weeks of sorting out and solving the teething problems doesn’t mean 7/8 losses, you can and we will pick up points whilst teething, 3 out of our next 4 games are at home and when at home we will be more positive and be more on the front foot which we weren’t against Fulham and that was the biggest problem we had, but I do expect that the players and more importantly Rafa has learnt from that, and we will especially at home be more positive and with a couple of wins under our belts the confidence will come as well.

• 17 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Well that is certainly true. The infamous heavy shirt. Little has been said about it. The weight of expectation, now heavier than ever, as things stand, it’s only a loss to Huddersfield away before the players start to recognise it. I agree, you don’t want to rely on character to lift you up, with so much angst weighing you down. You want the quality to keep you above it all.

• 18 geordie157 // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:47 AM

We need a good start on Saturday, don’t let them grow into the game or silence the crowd.

I have Huddersfield down as the surprise package this season, they have a few unknowns who could turn out to be star players, plus they have pace with Wells and Scannell.

However it’s a game we should be winning, just hope we are a bit more attack minded with Diame and Shelvey in for colback and anita.

I’d give Armstrong his chance, start him and bring Perez off the bench.

• 19 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:50 AM

When it comes to a reality check can I suggest you take a look in the mirror bonny lad, these are your words

“we have to start producing the goods on the pitch soon as a bad start is no good for nobody. It will make players more anxious and afraid to make mistakes and play comfortably. We need our players playing with confidence.

We seriously need a LB, Winger, AM and ST and fast.”

Seriously mate, you need to calm down and chill, we have only lost one game yet you make it look as if we are doomed already and drastic action must be taken, I really do think it would be best if we just calmed down and come the end of October start of November see were we are then.

I know it’s a bit early but get yourself a large whiskey, I think you need it lol.

• 20 BandB // Aug 10, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Without going over the top, a little bit of “where’s the beef, Rafa?” over the next three weeks is probably going to be more productive than another season of helpless, puzzled whingeing if the beef turns out to be turkey again.

• 21 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Remember Allan Russell brought in by Rafa in March to improve Mitro.

Aleksandar must be one of his failures.

• 22 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Spoof- I am calm. Though as much faith I have in Rafa’s ability it does not hide the fact we are short of players in key positions to say we will have without a doubt a successfull season. After all we have been through this past decade I think it is normal for fans to be weary of were we’re heading. That been said I have the upmost respect for Rafa as he is the best we can get and absolutely the right man to take this club forward and become a great club again.

I am as disappointed as anybody that we were awful against Fulham but this is a long hard season. But we can’t perform as badly for many games is what I am saying as players will start to worry as will fans. Even then I will keep faith in Rafa and try to remain calm. as I know he will get us out of this mess eventually. But as I said we are short of players still. We need more creativity and I really hope we get that sorted as soon as possible.

On the LB situation I am disappointed that Rafa has decided to loan out Mbabu as he is exactly what we need, he has all the right attributes except the experience, I bet that was on Rafas mind whn taking that decision.

• 23 ToonFanAbroad // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Morning all, been reading the blog for a couple years now and finally decided to get involved given our current situation.

I think people are worrying a bit too much at the moment, like Spoof @19 said, its still early doors and with all the new players just settling in we cant expect to walk every game, especially in a league like the championship. Saying that, I do think we will pick up a few wins in the next couple months.

IMO what we really need now is a LW and ST, assuming Galloway is a done deal. Hopefully Diame and Shelvey can create the chances. I believe we should be playing Ritchie on the right, he was great there last Friday.

My team for Sat, if Galloway and Sissoko are playing would be.

• 24 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM

To cut it short- A team is only as good as it’s players, even if Rafa is quality we need more creative players still.

PS. I hate whiskey 🙂

• 25 Rafa Revolution // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Ulloa would be a great signing

• 26 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:10 AM

We’ve only had one game, it’s far too early, can you remember our first game after we got promoted, how we lost 1-0 to Spurs at home as well by the way, not the last promotion the one before that, and we were doomed, relegation fodder and we would go back down to where we belonged, now where did we finish, not that I need to ask as we finished 3rd which today would have been a CL spot, but after the first game a home loss, 3rd was a million miles from what so many expected, so lets not jump the gun !

• 27 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Of course it’s normal to be weary and apprehensive, I am as well, but as I said it’s only been one game and I do appreciate and understand your concerns about our weaknesses, I have the same concerns, but I tell you what, if you ask any fan of any club to name the club which they feel has the fewest weaknesses then I dare bet that 95%+ would say that we have fewer weaknesses than any other club, yes we have then but so does every other club and as I said, they will have more than us.

• 28 BandB // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM

There’s a sense on the blog that this is just a matter of instilling some confidence and getting some fitness and cohesion into the team.
    I think that is far short of the truth.
    I don’t believe this squad is in a different league talent-wise from the rest of this division, and the manager can do almost nothing about underlying talent levels.
    When we were promoted in ’93, Kelly scored nearly 30 goals, the regular midfield chipped in with 40, and the defence was a rock of battle-hardened tough nuts. Then Cole came.
    This squad is a shadow of that squad as it stands.

• 29 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I don’t believe that we are in a different league talent wise either, I don’t think that we have a great deal of quality, I have said that over the last few weeks,, looking at the players coming in compared to those going out for me we are weaker, I have always said that and I still do, but I do still believe that we are better than those who we are facing this season and we should set our targets based on what we have compared to what our opponents have and for me we are far stronger.

As for this squad compared to KK’s squad, fine, you could be right, but I really don’t see the significance as we aren’t playing against the same players either, this Championship is a poor one, a very poor one and for me we are the best of a very poor bunch so we should go up.

• 30 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:33 AM

I see some are saying NUFC couldn’t get players like Bony and Benteke. I remember being mocked relentlessly for maintaining that NUFC could always attract a top manager, whether or not Ashley was here. If I were a player facing the prospect of warming the bench for another season in the Prem, would I consider a season long loan move to Newcastle? Provided the wages were right, I’d jump at it. SJP is were memories are made.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:33 AM

• 32 JamesToon // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Assombalonga to Norwich for £7m circulating, we should be in for this guy he has pace and power, hungry to prove himself after his injury and will get goals. Get him in rafa!

• 33 BandB // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM

My fear is that our strategy and hopes are based on expecting Rafa to weld the team into something that is greater than the sum of its parts.
    Some of those parts are missing.
    I’m not expecting him to work a miracle, and so I won’t round on him if the squad proves under-strength and over-hyped.

• 34 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:41 AM

As for a lot of modern day players, especially the younger ones the memories they will have will have been under the Ashley era, so if you were a player sadly I would feel that you would be of a rarity as most still wouldn’t entertain us, sad as it is I feel that it is a fact of life.

• 35 Spoof // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Slightly different to my view, where we agree is that we don’t believe us to be any great shakes, however for me we are still way better than our opponents, please have a look on Transfermarkt at all the other squads and compare them to ours, we may not be good but the rest are bloody awful, so on that bases we should go up and if we don’t then it has got to be the manager at fault because if the manager who has the best squad fails to go up then for me he should be hung drawn ad quartered, so I will hold Rafa responsible, and totally responsible at that..

Pardew and McClaren had Charnley and Carr who they could blame, and quite rightly, Rafa hasn’t got that, this season success or failure is solely on the shoulders of Rafa, he has got no where to hide if he fails.

• 36 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:53 AM

BandB // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM
    I won’t round on him if the squad proves under-strength and over-hyped.

Phew !!!
    That’s a blessed relief.
    I’ll e-mail that BandB has cut Rafa the gaffa some slack.

• 37 toon kk // Aug 10, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Never fear folks after Saturday spirits will be lifted, when we collect our first win of the season. (Hopefully).

• 38 Slank // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Spoof @ 34

‘..Pardew and McClaren had Charnley and Carr who they could blame. Rafa hasn’t got that..’

Not strictly true.

Charnley is doing all the negotiations as confirmed by Rafa in numerous interviews. They talk everyday about all aspects of the club.

• 39 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Goofy wants to stay and see the last year of his contract out – good lad – he’ll do a job for us , subbing and seeing games out

• 40 Thump // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:24 AM

@Jib: As long as he isn’t played in centre mid…

• 41 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Looking at the outs/ins it’s not only the @£4m plus NUFC are standing in, looking at the players we have now it’s pretty safe to say the monthly wage bill has fallen appreciably. If one was inclined to get cynical, one might venture that Mr Charnleys miserly veto might still be in rude health. It would be disappointing, would it not, to find out after the window closes and some key positions yet again not filled, that Sr. Benitez is the most illustrious manager we have had in recent times to be held on a short leash by that pair of incompetents.

• 42 Rotonda heights // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:40 AM

who else is going to pay goofy 30k a week

• 43 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:41 AM

I doubt Carr has much input other than advisory.
    He was given an 8 year contract which takes him to 75 (he’s 72 in October).
    Cannot blame the fella for supplementing his pension.
    Charnley seems the antithesis of incompetent – he’s got 9 players contracted and sealed in fairly short order.

• 44 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Jib- that’s your evaluation of antithesis? How would he fare on the competency scale regarding his able navigation of the clubs fall into the championship and the loss of millions of pounds worth of revenue? Bit of a poser that, I’ll give you a few minutes.

• 45 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Gouffran is on just under £17000 pw
    His contract is €1.02 million p.a.which is £872,000

• 46 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:49 AM

I’d suggest that Charnleys being able to negotiate player transfers was the least a man in his position could do to retain his shirt, never mind his job.

• 47 richyg01 // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM

• 48 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I don’t blame Carr for hanging around and consolidating his estate for the good of his beneficiaries. Short of a telegram from her majesty he deserves at least a round of applause for surviving his retirement.

• 49 Jib // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:53 AM

His choice of manager and the subsequent relegation is hardly a question of competency

A mix of – bad luck / terrible judgement / being appointed to a job beyond his capabilities – now he’s reverted back to what it says on the tin – CEO and co sec he is perfectly competent.

• 50 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Richy – a sobering visual impact on squad replacement there.

• 51 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Jib – agreed, if he sticks to his Ceo duties without traversing the line if vetoing crucial transfer requirements, he’s probably quite adequate.

But the fact still stands, Ashley said he left things to his board, and they stuck with glaringly horrible appointments to the death. So I would say, they could historically be adjudged “incompetents”

• 52 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Anyway that’s an argument rendered moot by exhaustive comment on this blog, oh and of course the reality of our situation 🙂

• 53 Bradley // Aug 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Ings – £8-10m
    Knockaert or Ince £10m
    Would love to see us look at Ziyech from FC Twente.
    Would have preferred LB Charlie Taylor from Leeds rather than Galloway.

Siem de Jong

Armstrong – he will develop better playing week in week out

previous post: Newcastle In New Battle For Bundesliga Striker