The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender Upbeat But Cautious

9:44 am, Thursday, August 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Newcastle are expected to bring in 20 year-old Everton left-back Brendan Galloway imminently on loan for the season.

Brendan will offer some competition for the left-back spot to local lad Paul Dummett, who is currently the starting left-back at the club.

Paul has been interviewed in the Chronicle today and although we got off to a bad start to the season at Fulham with a loss, Paul is still confident about the coming season.

paul dummett rafa benitez and young star

Paul Dummett with Rafa Benitez
and future Newcastle striker?

This is some of what Paul has said in the Chronicle today:

“Teams are going to come to us knowing it’s one of their biggest games of the season, so we have to be ready for that.”

“We have good players here and I am sure we will sign more good players as well.” “We are going to be one of the bigger teams in the league, but that doesn’t mean we can be complacent.”

“It’s not going to be easy in any game.” “It’s like the Premier League in that no game is easy, but there is also the physical side of it.”

“There will be a physical presence in the Championship and that will be hard.” “We have a lot of players who will be ready for that.”

“We just want a successful season and look to win the league or get promoted back to the Premier League as everybody is in.”

“I was away with Wales but a lot of players told me Rafa was staying as the news came through.”  “It just shows how much of a big club this is and the ambition they have shown to take it forward.”

“It was the challenge the manager wanted and he wanted the club to show commitment and will to sign players.”

“They have done that so far and changed the training ground in the way the manager wanted it.”

It’s true that Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley have so far given Rafa everything he has asked for at Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez has so far brought in eight players – not including Brendan who has not been announced yet – and nine players have left – and we are still making a profit on the summer transfer window.

Newcastle have made some good deals this summer so far.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Newcastle United Foundation 1892 Cup · Other News · Paul Dummett

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 martoon // Aug 11, 2016 at 9:51 AM

BandB from previous – Thanks, I think he used to post as LewSpi or something like that but you are right (as always 🙂 ) I haven’t seen him post for quite a long time so the chances are that is last year’s league reference number.

• 2 Fostino // Aug 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM

All gone quiet on galloway??? No pics for medical or anything either

• 3 martoon // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Fostino – yes that is strange, it seemed to be a nailed on certainty the other day but now nothing. I know Everton have just signed Williams from Swansea so I don’t know if they have been waiting for that or it could be the lad doesn’t want to move to Tyneside and said “No”!

• 4 welshgeordie9 // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Like i said for the last couple of days, don’t think there will be anymore signings.

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Can’t believe williams left swans though, ffs.

• 6 Jib // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Ashley Williams is 32 at the end of this month – he’s got a 3 year contract with Everton he had less than 2 years left with Swansea who probably refused to extend – you cannot really blame him.

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:28 AM

By Harry Sykes

“Newcastle have lost out to bitter rivals Sunderland in their bid to sign defender Paddy McNair, according to a report.”

Surely, to ‘lose out’ you actually have to want the player in the first place???

• 8 Munster Mag // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Toon linked with anderlecht striker idrissa silla. Hope he has aerial presence and pace

• 9 Jib // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM

I have to back us for a home win on Saturday.

I can’t see Rafa allowing Aaron Mooy to walk the park and dictate the game as he did at the John Smiths on the opening day.

Lolley and Van La Parra made great inroads down the flanks but fell to pieces in the box. If they had found a little composure it would have been a walk over for Town. I can’t see them having the same joy here.

Kerchunga ran his socks off up front and I expect Wells will do the same if he’s fit. Grant Hanley beware.

Town’s weakest links are CB Mark Hudson, who is far too slow, and their new diminutive left back Chris Loewe, who looks like he could get blown away if it’s windy.

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Newcastle have lost out to Barcelona, who have decided not to sell Messi.

See? I can do it too!

• 12 Wayayman // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Munster, I’d be surprised surprised if we sign Sylla.

• 13 toontaff2 // Aug 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Tufty’s on Sky Sports News, stating the obvious – we have needed a striker for 18 months – if only our manager had noticed!
    Please can we find Tufty a job, so we can put a stop to his rambling on TV?

• 14 toontaff2 // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM

I am looking forward to the season and have got a season ticket again after 4 seasons away.
    After many years of no tournament finals for Wales and following the Toon for 35 years, I am not one of those who is already predicting doom and gloom, and was just pointing out Villa’s current plight as where we might have been without Rafa.
    By the end of the transfer window, with a settled team, strong squad and a few wins under our belt, I hope we are heading towards a strong season!

• 15 Jib // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM

The clamour for Lorenzo Insigne grows.

The Toon are at the back of a queue comprising –
    Atletico Madrid
    and West Ham
    If Rafa by some miracle pulled this off he should be instantly canonised

• 16 BandB // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM

If doom and gloom is what you are reading, then you are misreading.
    I haven’t seen anyone who doesn’t think we’ll get promoted. Several have had the nerve to suggest it might not be a Sunday stroll, while still believing we’ll still be promoted.
    In my own case I urge we take nothing for granted simply because it is always so squirmingly embarrassing to see those who’ve been flaunting their never-say-die spirit all week squealing like stuck pigs if we then get beat. Which is exactly what happened last weekend.

• 17 BandB // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM

You spent yesterday morning sneering at people to remember we were a Championship club and to get real about the level of signings we could expect.
    I had noticed that within hours that rule didn’t apply to you.
    Which of these contradictions is it?
    Or is it just whatever you say?

• 18 Jib // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:44 AM

B and B
    Don’t make stuff up honey.

• 19 Mr Funk // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM

How about Hakim Ziyech as a potential attacking option – he is available for 15 million euros.

• 20 Tsunki // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Bandb – Jib doesn’t have a stance, just an agenda.

• 21 BandB // Aug 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Sorry, it was two mornings ago.
    Doesn’t time fly when you are having fun?

• 22 WWSBRD // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Lorenzo Insigne…yup that I fully believe hes a target for Championship NUFC

• 23 nut meg // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Mr Funk
    In my opinion he’s a realistic choice,not cheap but won’t break the bank either.He scores,assists and creates chances and he would be my choice. For anyone who’s interested here’s a link that shows what he’s capable of doing and has been doing for a few seasons now.

• 24 Termijn // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM

As an Australian I can tell you Aaron Mooy is class and we should definitely watch out for him this weekend. He’ll be playing premier league within 2 years imo.

• 25 BandB // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I would like to think he’s a realistic target.
    It’s not as if we have never been able to attract players with a top class pedigree to join our promotion campaign.
    What I don’t agree with is this.

Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Bryan you are falling into the same trap as other posters.
    Someone said the other day when the Mackems were after a player – we should just step in and get him.

Yoo Hoo everyone !!!!
    NUFC are in the Championship !!!
    Young men with footballing ambition and PL quality are going to sign for PL clubs 99% of the time.

• 26 WWSBRD // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM

That was probably hacked Jib…or this is hacked Jib, its hard to tell

• 27 Wayayman // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM

WWSBRD @22

Yep, I know right!?! We weren’t linked with anyone of his calibre when we were in the Prem so why on earth would anyone believe he would come to a 2nd division club. But then I think that Rafa knows the lad and was his manager at Napoli, and that as a part time hypnotist and belly dancer, Rafa might just be able to convince him…

And then I’m back in the room, facing up to the fact that Colback might start on Saturday. Or Shelvey.

• 28 Jib // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM

9 BandB // Aug 9, 2016 at 9:45 AM
    I was just asking the question.
    Imagine McClaren was still in charge and all else was equal.
    Would the reviews be so positive?
    Rafa has a honeymoon period. The Emperor better have some clothes or it won’t last long.

10 Jib // Aug 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    Bryan you are falling into the same trap as other posters.

Yoo Hoo everyone !!!!
    NUFC are in the Championship !!!

This must be to what you refer.

Sneering ?

I think not.

For a good sneer you need to get a copy of the Tsunki handbook on the subject.

• 29 BandB // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:17 PM

I’ll let your silent majority decide, Donald.

• 30 WWSBRD // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Yeah haha am as deluded about us as the next but Insigne I mean howay

As for Saturday I am still hoping for a Hayden Shelvey Diame midfield….but I know Anita will be in there somewhere

• 31 WWSBRD // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:20 PM

So its deluded to think we can beat the mackems to a player but fine to think we can fend off the other teams interested in Insigne?

• 32 Jib // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM

If you took the time to read posts instead of diving uniinvited into other folks tiffs – you would see that I just post links to the Insigne story – the only opinion I have offered is the list of clubs ahead of us and that it would take a miracle for us to get him.
    I also fantasised last night about him being on the left of our attack – anyone iwth half a brain would have realised it was tongue in cheek
    Your not related to Mr Tuff by any chance

• 33 Mister Tuff // Aug 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Hahahaha – Jib Jibberish at it again – what a dope.

Jibberish – your post suggesting that Benitez should be canonised reveals you are “an ignorant fellow”.

The process of becoming a Saint usually means the person nominated is dead.

What a dope ………………….duh!!

But I have to say a good laugh when you reveal your depth of knowledge (extremely shallow indeed).

previous post: Reading Experience Can Be Good Omen For Newcastle