The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

New Arrival Explains Strange Way He Developed His Skills

9:06 am, Friday, August 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Issac Hayden already looks like an excellent technical player since we signed him from Arsenal for a measly £2.5M in the summer, and he started the game at Fulham a week ago.

Issac looked comfortable in one of the holding midfield positions although another poor goal conceded from a set piece cost us that game and our first defeat of the season.

Isaac+Hayden+mtznFhPhX7dm

Isaac Hayden – an excellent acquisition for us

That was a bit of a shock but now we have four games at home of the five games we have to play in the next 15 days, so hopefully we can win quite a few games.

Isaac has given an interview in the local press today and he has talked about how Arsenal’s legendary manager Arsene Wenger played him at center-back a couple of years ago to improve his defensive skills.

This is what the 21 year-old has said:

“When I was growing up, aged about 18 or 19, the manager at Arsenal pushed me back to center-back so I could hone my defensive skills.”

“It wasn’t necessarily that he could see me there in the future, it was about working on my defensive skills as well as attacking skills.”

“At that moment in time, he thought it was best for me to play further back.”

““I’ve signed here for a long period of time, and if I can help the team, whatever position it is, I’ll do so.”

“Hopefully, that’s in my preferred position in central midfield.”

Isaac has played for all the England Youth sides from U-16 through U-20 and played a total of 18 times.

He is one of eight players Rafa Benitez has brought into the squad this summer as he has transformed Newcastle both on and off the pitch.

We are hoping for big things from Isaac this season and he could turn out to be a terrific signing for us.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · England News · Isaac Hayden · Management · Newcastle News

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spoof // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:13 AM

I can see the logic in what Arsene was doing, I just hope we don’t get the same as what we get with Dummett, that being fans believing that he is a central defender, he isn’t and neither is Dummett, one is a holding midfielder and the other is a left back, neither are a centre half.

• 2 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Needs to show more than he did at Fulham to be already considered a really worthwhile acquisition in my opinion. Not particularly highly rated by Arsenal fans from my amateur investigations, and quickly and cheaply replaced by Wenger. Obviously has plenty of time to prove himself, but Ed’s summation of him is unrealistically glowing on exposed form I’d suggest.

• 3 nut meg // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Spoof
    Years ago Joe Harvey moved Alan Kennedy from left back into left mid field for a while for the exact same reason.By the time he moved to LB again he was much more aware of his responsibility when overlapping etc. It probably was the making of him.

• 4 ZIPPIE57 // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread but it’s Friday 12 August and my season tickets still haven’t arrived . Is anybody able to shed any light on this please

• 5 Wayayman // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Frenchman, Hayden was very good in the first half v Fulham. Second half he was doing colbacks job too, which his performance dip. He’s a very very good player who had barely strung a game together for us so give him a chance!

• 6 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM

munster

can’t escape the feeling you almost want rafa to fail with all your negative comments. with respect you are not a CL winning manager. i could understand if it was McCarver, but the endless sly digs are getting very tiresome now.

• 7 jimmysmith // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Atleast 50% of Kets posts are extraordinarily insightful I think. Sure he’s circling the planet Coozebaine the rest of the time, but really, who of us isn’t? Definitely has an eye for a footballer, as far as I can tell.

• 8 Jib // Aug 12, 2016 at 9:42 AM

My god ist’s the glorious 12th
    Time for all the game birds to dive for cover !

• 9 estechco // Aug 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM

ZIPPIE57 @ 4
    Assuming this isn’t your first ever season ticket, you just need to re-use last years card. Have you not had any kind of letter from the club?

previous post: Newcastle Face Tough Schedule Through August