The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sissoko In Newcastle Squad – Rafa May Keep Him

1:31 pm, Friday, August 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

Rafa Benitez had given a strong message out today to both Moussa Sissoko and any clubs wanting to sign the player and the manager has asked any clubs who are interested in signing the Newcastle midfielder to put their offers in now if they want to buy Sissoko this summer.

Rafa has also said Newcastle may not sell him late in the window.

rafa benitez press confernce

Rafa Benitez at press conference this afternoon

Benitez has also confirmed that Moussa has trained well this week and he ‘s in the squad for the Huddersfield game tomorrow.

New signings Mohamed Diame and Ciaran Clark have also trained well this week and are in the squad for tomorrow’s vital game.

Here’s some of what Rafa has said in his press conference today – talking initially about Moussa:

“He’s on the list on the squad for tomorrow, and after we will decide if he’s fine or not.”

“He’s a player I like a lot. If somebody comes in with the right offer if not we keep him here”

“If somebody is thinking of waiting until the last day of the window it will be very difficult for them, because we don’t need to sell.”

“He’s a good professional. He’s trained well.”

“The new players can play – they have trained well this week.”

“Because of the stature of our club every home game will be difficult. But we must give everything”

Rafa has shown his vast experience by clearly putting Newcastle in charge of what happens with Sissoko and we will not be pushed around.

Any club trying to do a Liverpool and coming in at the very last minute on 31st August for Moussa will likely be disappointed.

Notice Rafa’s man-management skills here – he is asking clubs to come in for Moussa now – and that’s exactly what the player would want.

So Moussa cannot say Newcastle are not trying to get a move for him, but of course the sticking point will likely be the £35M transfer fee.

Brilliant stuff there from Benitez.

However if Moussa is on the bench tomorrow he could cause some upset with the fans – and we cannot have that affect our chances  of winning this game.

We would guess he will not be in the match-day squad of 18 for tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Huddersfield?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Communication · Match Preview · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference · Transfer News and Rumours

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM

So if u want him pay the price and pay it soon or hes a Newcastle player moving forward, exactly what we should do imo

• 2 Kabul Fish // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM

I think I said the same last Friday lol but…looking forward to this game and seeing who Rafa has selected.

With hope in my heart and my heart on my sleeve…HWTL

• 3 Bobbybee // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:40 PM

If he plays I won’t boo him, as much as I’m furious with his antics. The team and result is far more important than just one man. Maybe boo him roundly once, then get behind the team 100%? It’s going to be a cracking atmosphere and not one that should be ruined by one man. He’s not the first player who’s wanted to leave and he won’t be the last. Just ignoring him might be the best answer.

• 4 Kabul Fish // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:41 PM

If Sissoko is being called a professional by Rafa and he has trained well I presume he is not affecting the team?
    I would play him as an impact sub to see if his heart is in it / puts in a shop window performance and to see if he can handle the crowds reaction to him.

• 5 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Professional and trained well, must not be training by himself then!! Strong words from Rafa which contradict the notion that he’s poisonous and that he’s not liked by teammates etc

• 6 NUFCPaul // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:47 PM

OH the sweet, sweet irony – if Sunderland sell their best player to Everton it could trigger Galloway’s loan deal to us. This season might not be so bad after all!

• 7 Belfast // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM

I think Rafa would probably say the same even if he was poisonous Our Toon to be honest.

We don’t want any prospective buyers thinking we’re desperate to get rid of him.

So he’s a great lad and we’re happy to keep him could just be the party line.

• 8 Belfast // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Or he could be just telling the truth ?

Who knows… 🙂

• 9 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Well done Belfast for saying what I did the other week. No wonder Ian Toons a big fan 🙂

• 10 Belfast // Aug 12, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Sorry pal I usually just skip yer posts so must have missed it. He he

• 11 Belfast // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Boooooooom get in!!

• 12 Jib // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Besiktas want Daniel Barlaser (he’s half Turkish )
    Sissoko is in tomorrow’s squad

• 13 cyprus // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Boo him?!

• 14 cyprus // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Did you boo Cabaye who went on strike to leave? If yes, fair play. Boo away.
    Sorry don’t quite get the hate. Like you said many have wanted to move to greener pastures. We ain’t Barcelona.

BTW I think we should let him go. Only people willing to die for the cause may stay. But then, who would that really leave 🙂

• 15 Novocastrian66 // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:13 PM

I won’t boo him if he plays. We need positivity tomorrow. No negativity. Don’t boo if he is on the bench and he starts warming up.
    Even though I cannot stand him.

• 16 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Belfast it’ll teach you you’re missing out on quality 😀

• 17 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Belfast

Proof in the pudding mate, if he was poisonous then he wouldn’t be in the squad would he?

Cyprus – I think we’d be left with less than 11 as not many want to be here and if offered to leave for a prem outfit they’d go

• 18 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I doubt if booing him would do any good. I don’t like booing anyway tbh. When you’ve booed for two or three seconds you start to realise what a pathetic word it is and how daft it sounds ha ha. Well it would if I said it I suppose 🙂

• 19 toon kk // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Of course Newcastle fans will boo sissoko, cirtain fans won’t be able to help themselves. It won’t gain anything apart from putting pressure on our other players.
    But hey that’s all part of the petty side of football.
    Personally I think we need him.
    The club is bigger than one players remarks.

• 20 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Toon KK

He will get booed but as I said yesterday will those that boo him cheer if hypothetically speaking….he scores?

My guess is they’ll cheer and look daft!!

• 21 hibbitt // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:29 PM

if rafa picks him and he doesn’t put a shift he will be booed no matter what people on here say or think
    you pay your money your entitled to express your opinion

• 22 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Hibbit

You are entitled to your opinion and to do as you see fit mate, good luck to you and your booing. Will you cheer him if he scores? Or will you boo?

• 23 tomellifred360 // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Fantasy Football League for NUFC fans. All welcome to join.
    76984-188980

• 24 hibbitt // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Our Toon
    if i think he warrants it i will boo him with or without your permission
    you have so much to say about the fans of our club what about the disrespect he has shown the fans the club and the city ??

• 25 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:50 PM

I think Benitez, again, is being very diplomatic and has proferred what is a skilful sales pitch -hopefully to get Sissoko sold – and quickly.

I’ll be amazed if he ever plays again for us -especially up to the window closing.

• 26 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Not a fan of booing our own players but I can’t think of a player who deserves it more than Sissoko hes been a bell end for years and I think a lot of fans will have had enough of him!!

Would not be happy watching him strut about doing nothing on 100k a week which is what he will be looking for when he gets a new contract at a new club!!

What if we don’t sell him though ? As each week goes past it looks less unlikely that we will teams are not daft they will have watched him over the last few seasons and know what he is like !

• 27 Moonraker15 // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Just having Sissoko on the bench would be a huge psychological plus for us tomorrow. Our lads have been stung by Fulham and will be totally up for this game.
    Re Rafa’s statement about Sissoko, you can only do that if you are totally in control of the club. Most directors would wrap him I cotton wool if he was for sale for 35 mil but Rafa’s saying don’t wait for a last minute bargain. I see Sissoko staying till January as no clubs are gonna pay that amount now.
    If he stays we are Champions! Funny old game innit?

• 28 Moonraker15 // Aug 12, 2016 at 2:59 PM

If Rafa picks him he WILL put a shift in I have no doubt.
    The atmosphere at SJP is gonna be incredible. I would say I fear for the Huddersfield team if I gave a toss! I think we will absolutely bury them !

• 29 Moonraker15 // Aug 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Bigger players than Sissoko have said worse stuff than him over the years!
    If he plays and scores or creates all will be forgiven. He’s our player! Put him on the bench they will shit themselves! His image is somehow greater than himself; even he believes the hype! Lol can’t wait for tomorrow!

• 30 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 12, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Potentially a midfield that had Sissoko , Diame, Shelvey, Tiote and Richie on the pitch at the same time should be in the top 10 in the premiership never mind in the league below!!!

Just a shame we probably wont ever see that combination

• 31 lesh // Aug 12, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Kabul, Our Toon

Of course Rafa’s saying nice things about Sissoko. If you want to sell a car, for example, you wouldn’t say it was a wreck now would you?

previous post: Transfer Request Means Brendan Galloway Loan Closer