Newcastle Fans React On Twitter To Second Successive Defeat

Newcastle fans have taken to Twitter to try to get rid of some of the severe frustrations of the odds-on favorites to get promoted back to the Premier League at our first attempt have lost our first two games and will be very close to bottom place in the league after the games have all been played this weekend – we are 4th bottom right now – one place above a relegation place.

This is even more pain for Newcastle fans as if we haven’t had enough of it over the last 32 months.

jack payne scores the winner

Jack Payne scores the winner after 823 minutes

The last time we were down below we only lost four games all season, but wo of those defeats were in succession in October, 2009 at Nottingham Forest and then Scunthorpe United.

Here are some tweets from Newcastle’s unhappy fans tonight.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:47 PM

It’s got nothing to do with any of us getting our own way Runaway. It’s all about the club’s success. That includes providing support in the difficult times. If you want to help chase Rafa out be my guest.

• Tsunki

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Hail no matter what’s said, the sense of entitlement built up out of the sheer simplicity of having bagged Benitez as a manager. Are you saying he should have been downbeat about the changes he was making? I can’t remember a soundbite where “we are going to win every game in style” was mentioned.

Two games in with a transitional squad and already “We should have got Pearson”. It’s pure Kafka at times. The comedy is desperately hewn from incredulity.

• Tsunki

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Martoon, I have another “league” idea. Why not tot up all the Skyfall Club members so we can have a laugh at Xmas? 😀

If this club falters this year it won’t be because we have Benitez. It’ll be because that thing we feared most has happened. Business as usual behind the scenes.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:51 PM

We need 5 players in. Quality too, we don’t get them we ain’t going up thats for sure.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Anyone who wants Rafa out after 2 losses had better think about who still owns the club and what he might do. This is the time to stay calm and let the club settle and get to work improving. We have good experienced pros to come back into the side and we have Mitro as well. But if people start a Rafa Out campaign I think they’ll wish they hadn’t.

• Tsunki

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Think I’ll bow out. Not many gonads here today and I think I’ll keep mine, thanks.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:54 PM

gorgonzola – what’s the next result definitely going to be then? Win, lose or draw? Not sure why you’re avoiding answering that after you said there was no way we’d win today AFTER the game finished.

• msk21dec

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Back door man.. dont get me wrong i loved 4231 when protugal played it in euro2000 against england.. with Figo, Rui costa etc running the show and Real Madrid with the team of Raul and mcmanaman and Redondo played it to the letter but nowadays all managers playing it don’t have a clue. The formation to play is 442 for Newcastle players especially if you got british players as your core as newcastle have done for this championship season.
    I think after transfer window closes rafa will slowly get a settled side but this will take a good few games. so as a newcastle fan all i will be hoping is we get a top 6 finish either auto or play offs. no way will we walk this league like everyone thought it will be very close. only because rafa thinks he’s too clever for this division. he is not and he needs to play players in the right formation in their favoured positions no more messing about. over to you rafa. also young players like aarons etc aint gonna improve or play well unless they get a run of games to get into a rhythm. i.e. when ever sissoko or wijnaldum or janmaat have crap games they always play and stay on but players like aarons and armstrong get subbed and dropped thats why we never see the best of them.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Geordie two

You missed the part where I said:

‘if we carry on like this…’

Obviously there is time to turn it around, however I’m not convinced (from what I’ve seen so far) that it will be turned around quickly. One thing is for certain, it’s going to be a long, very hard season.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM

We’re not going to get 5 more top quality players in. Most of the money’s been spent. If Sissoko goes for big cash that might change, but at most I see a striker and winger coming in and I don’t know if there’s a decent striker left out there we could afford because we left it too long and most of them have been bought already. Get ready for a lot of hard work and a lot of hard fought, close wins.

• Tsunki

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:56 PM

G2 it’s absolutely dumbfounding the lack of resolve of some fans. What better manager will Ashley get next? Guardiola?

• msk21dec

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:56 PM

im not gonna blame the players until the manager plays the player in their preferred formation and positions. thats only fair i think. im sure leicester played 442 last season.

• welshgeordie9

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Two games gone and have been poor in both, so what makes you think we will be good anytime soon, there’s more players to get rid of not just gourffran and rivière.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:58 PM

I understand the frustration. We’re all disappointed. I did see that YFMB. I agree we have to turn it around. But we have the best chance of doing that by staying behind the current manager and letting him find his way in the Championship. He’ll get it right. He’s too good not to.

• SPRINGY

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM

we were poor last season,and teams played us expecting to win due to our lack of quality and confidence,this season teams play us with the cup tie mentality that we are a scalp to be taken,but we are still low on confidence and trying to get quality in,we are poor wont argue that but we are 2 games in with decent manager and money,patience is required,last year there was no confidence or respect in the wally with a brolly due to his poor management history,now we have a manager with a respectable management history…give him a chance ffs,he may fail,he may walk,but give him the chance to try and change things…..everyone is angry,pissed off,pointing fingers but it wont help.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM

We shouldn’t be shocked about some of the attitudes on here Tsunki mate. We’ve seen it all before. I’ve been negative when Ashley was running the club through clowns like Carver but this is quite different. We have a very good man in charge now. And yes it’s going to take a lot of hard work to get back on track. I never expected to win 46 matches. Anybody who thought it was going to be a cake walk should be aware that it’s not ever that way.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM

NUFCPaul

FYI I voted on a loss on the poll…. I called the loss after the first game to Fulham. Next game probably draw or loss…I can’t be correct all the time.

We start with same team we will most likely lose. Please mind your own business if you can’t put your head on the line.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Welshie – we’ve played badly in two games, I agree. That doesn’t mean we will in the next game though, it isn’t guaranteed. Do you think Rafa is just going to shrug his shoulders and play exactly the same again next week? He’ll analyse the hell out of the whole game and adjust training next week to work on our weaknesses as well as trying to get a few more players in.

Two very poor games doesn’t mean we’re destined to be as bad in the next one as well. I don’t know for sure that Rafa can fix it but I have a bit of faith in the bloke. After staying to help us out it’s the least I can afford him.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Rafa still needs time, I’m not one of the Rafa out brigade. (is there one? That seems absurd, cant believe I’m typing that). But he does need to get to grips with this league quicker then he is, we aren’t playing good enough for promotion and it seems like we are a bit off that level.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM

I can see things are already cooling off a bit. It was a hard loss to take. Rafa will use it as a learning experience and get back to planning the next match. That’s what good managers do.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Whats interesting here is the fans who have indeed smelt the coffee are criticised based on what?

I would like to return the criticism your way when we are top of the Championship league come (as you are MORE than confident it will be so) talk to me then until then us losing makes your point ow so pointless.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM

msk21dec
    You make it sound like Rafa stumbled across 4-2-3-1
    Read this and educate yourself son.

• JamesToon

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Hoping to God that I don’t travel up to Bristol just to see another performance like today.

Come on Rafa and the boys, pull your finger out, step up and show us that you mean business in this league

• NUFCPaul

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:08 PM

The one shining light from today is that the sad Mackem bastards are losing 1-0 so far. I’ll take whatever bit of happiness I can get after the abject disaster earlier.

• SPRINGY

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM

heard ritchie didnt start due to a slight knock,thats why anita was in,sissoko was never going to start as he’s had nee pre-season,rivie only just back from injury….thet rest of the team are very low in confidence…but need to stop making daft mistakes and man the f**k up,might not win but at least try and get confidence from a solid defence…every team will love to beat us more then most teams in this league for whatever reason….so we have to be prepared for that.

• welshgeordie9

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Yes some of you are right how dare we jump on the players backs after two games, after all if we don’t beat reading and win next weekend we will only be 12 points behind with 4 games gone, so there’s no need to panic, yeah right.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM

As I’ve already said constructive criticism is fine. But specifically what would the negative nellies on here do that would be guaranteed to work? And I don’t mean vaguely talking about bringing in 5 top players. With the players available what would you do?

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Attacking players in our whole squad
    1. Gayle
    2. Ritchie
    3. Perez
    4. Mitrovic suspension

Then u have 2 untested youth Aarons and Armstrong and possibly Diame who is more of a DM

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Dummett – master of the left foot backwards sideswipe pass .. We need forward momentum to get behind opposition midfields to attack their back four. If we allow opposition time to have 10 men behind the ball it’s always going to be painful and today was just that .

• Jhonyp

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Nobody wants Rafa out, that would be stupid. I can say what I’d like to see. I’d like to see us be reckless in our team selection next game. I’d like to see us pay the opposition no respect. I’d like to see us select a team that will attack from the start and not focus on trying to stop the opposition playing their game. I’d like to see us focus on ourselves. We’re supposed to be the favorates? I’d like to see us play a winger in the winger position and 2 cf’s and take the game to the opposition. I’d also like to see us play all of our better players. Sissoko might lack heart right now, but our opening 2 performances have lacked heart as well. He’s our player he’s not gone yet, nobody is offering anything for him, so play him. Presently were saying Sissoko is going nowhere unless the offer is good enough,and we have no problems keeping him, yet we then include him in the match day squad (effectively telling the world he’s fit and ready) then don’t select him. If that doesn’t scream come and try your luck with cut price offer, what does? I don’t care if he stays or goes, but if he goes I want us to get a good price for him so we can get a couple of good players to replace him. Main thing is whoever is bought/sold, we should be doing so much better than we have done in the opening 2 games. You can’t honestly say that the way we set up in those 2 games hasn’t been a factor in the defeats we’ve suffered. We’re being far to negative.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM

People starting to blame Ashley already is unbelievable. He has given over the running of the club to Rafa with Charnley as his admin. When Rafa took the job he must have known his budget and the extent of his authority.
    Rafa accepted the conditions and is running the show.He still has time to get it right with a few more signings and I hope he now realises what is required. To try and pin it on Ashley because the team played shit is pathetic.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Rafa will ignore all the bollocks and just put his head down and get to work with the lads. That’s the only sensible thing to do right now.

• welshgeordie9

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:15 PM

I said last week, a lot of championship teams have got a lot of height in their midfield, we unfortunately have got hobbits and up front, that’s why we struggle, getting out paced, out jumped, out everything, that’s why we need to replace Anita and Colback and every other hobbit who struggles.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Two losses on the trot.

That will spoil over 3 maybe 4, then total panic. Fun place to be.
    I just don’t see anything coming from the current starting setup.

Nothing. Entire CM is poor and can create nothing.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM

We’ll have Ruddy on next waving his Ashley out banner telling us he warned us we could never have a winning team under Ashley and bullying people into boycotting games.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM

I wouldn’t pin anything on Ashley for the current situation bettys mate. But I definitely don’t want him taking a more active role. We had 9 years of that. And as I recall it led to 2 relegations.

• welshgeordie9

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM

GeordieTwo

Change formation that will help us get goals, Gayle needs help up front, also put players in the right places, Anita in the right wing, don’t think so somehow.

• welshgeordie9

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:19 PM

When we finished 5th, we played 433

Ba Cisse Ben Arfa

We need to do that again.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM

We’ll have to settle on a definite starting 11. Right now that hasn’t happened because Rafa is trying to get a feel for things and we’ve lost the first 2. I still think a big part of the problem is letting the Sissoko situation fester away. Move him away from the club until he’s sold.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I see haven’t seen any specifics from the doomsayers. Surely they know how to set things right in a specific way with the players we have?