Decision Time On Sissoko Is Fast Approaching

Newcastle have so far had no acceptable bids come in for Moussa Sissoko and there are 16 days left in this transfer window.

It seems Rafa will be happy when September arrives so he can have a settled squad and there are still players who could leave the club before then and they include Manu Riviere, Yoan Gouffran, Henri Saivet, Cheick Tiote, Sammy Ameobi and Haris Vuckic.

Moussa+Sissoko+Newcastle+United+v+Tottenham+zCoqdDJkqzZl

Moussa Sissoko – will he stay or go
It looks like he could stay

One of the other players who could leave by then is Moussa Sissoko, but with Newcastle having a poor start to the season it will only strengthen the club’s resolve to get the full £35M for Moussa this month.

That may not happen and last Friday Rafa said it is unlikely Newcastle will sell Moussa late in this transfer window.

Rafa also asked clubs who are interested to bid for him, so maybe in a week or so a decision could be made on Moussa.

If no bids come in through next Monday – August 22nd – with 9 days left in the window – it wouldn’t be too surprising if Rafa said Newcastle will not sell the French International.

That’s because we wouldn’t be able to bring in a replacement and in such a vital season for the club, we wouldn’t even want to risk not being able to bring in a replacement.

That’s something that’s changed a lot from the past.

On January 31st, 2011 we sold Andy Carroll to Liverpool with no chance of replacing the local striker, but that’s when money and a good bank account was the only thing that mattered at the club.

Things have changed big time under Rafa Benitez and the squad is all important now.

Benitez doesn’t want the Sissoko uncertainly to last too much longer and the time is fast approaching when Newcastle could make a decision to keep him this summer.

That could happen as soon as next Monday if no bids come in this week.

It would then be a problem for Newcastle fans to still have Moussa at the club, following his stupid, tone-deaf and disparaging remarks in the press about Newcastle, since he finished Euro 2016 with France.

But it’s not something that Rafa couldn’t patch up and hopefully have Sissoko playing well for the side fairly quickly.

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Lil,

The only beef I have with Munster is that he has missed the open goal of accusing Jail of only posting to moan about others moaning.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Lilo

Carr shouldn’t be here. end of. How many of his buys, apart from a few obvious ones, have been of any use to any of our managers, even the c–p ones during his tenure at the club.

Surely if carr is retained as head scout rafa has asked his opinion and deferred to him on a regular basis. None of these buys, gamez apart, really sound much like rafa signings. So yes rafa may be rubber stamping them, but who is advising him if not carr and if not carr why is carr still at the club?

If Rafa had done such a bad job at the end of last season, why were 50000 chanting his name all game desperate for him to stay. that should tell you a lot.

Of course rafa is fallable, everyone is, even you possibly may get it wrong in your coaching sometimes by being over cautious and not giving enough freedom for players to express themselves.

• DeanToon88

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I don’t like how negative and empty in terms of atmosphere st James park is lately and has been over the last 6-7 year, everytime i go to watch a game the stadium feels dead – devoid of life and excitement, there’s only the Gallowgate end that sings and the rest of the stadium is just quiet, it certainly does not help the players when the fans are not behind the team and only makes them more nervous, the fans need to get behind the team and lift them, i’m not just talking about small sections of the crowd im talking about the whole of st James park roaring on the lads.

Teams in the championship are always going to come here to a big ground and play like they have a point to prove, we have to show that when they come to st james park they know what they are in for, and we need to go at them all guns blazing from the start.

And booing the players off the pitch after 2 games is just disgraceful to be honest.

And people calling for rafas head after 2 losses is an absolute joke and shows how deluded fans can be of this football club, he is the best manager we have and ever will have and if he feels like we are turning against him he will leave for a bigger and better club and we will be left with another below average manager and back to square one.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Rotonda,
    Rafa didn’t succeed last season. It is a simple fact. He came in whilst we still had a very good chance of staying up with Palace, Norwich, Sunderland and Villa all to play. That fans wanted him to stay is based on his past record, not what he did with us.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Rotonda@2. Of course Carr shouldn’t be here. Charnley shouldn’t be here. It’s only the regime apologists with their peculiar agenda who seek to make any argument (as flimsy as it can only be) to the contrary. They are the constants in our fall from grace, which only seems to be gathering momentum.

• SuperShearer

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Ed says there have been “no acceptable bids” – while I know this is hard to answer but have there in fact been ANY bids for Sissoko? Has anyone even offered us a Fudge in exchange for him?

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM

I would support a qualified and experienced football person in a director of football role.
    The management structure still seems to invite a straight run-off between football and financial concerns in which there may be limited mutual comprehension of what the target actually is.
    But we all know that is not going to happen.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Lilo, I don’t think it was just his record that fans latched onto with Benitez. He brought an air of respectability, likeability and intelligence, all of which had been sorely lacking, even before the horrors of the Ashley regime. I agree that he hasn’t been a spectacular manager so far, and I’m aghast at the thought that he might be constrained in terms of the players at his disposal because Charnley and Carr are still seemingly involved. It seems like a never-ending nightmare.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM

ToF,
    I’ve no issue with Charnley and Carr. They were, to an extent, victims of Ashley in that they were over promoted. Both are competent and capable in roles they are suited to. I still think the management structure at the club needs a major overhaul. I wouldn’t shed any tears were both replaced, neither would I if both were restricted to roles that suit their capabilities.

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:06 AM

If you have a limited idea of what it takes to build a successful football team but are charged with guarding the club’s purse strings, you are likely to be more inclined to say “no.”
    There is still no-one credible at the club to say the man in charge “that’s a good pick, that’s a risky pick.”

• lesh

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:07 AM

If Mbemba’s unhappy at playing in the Championship then I wonder if our beloved Sissoko’s at the bottom of it – whether by accident or design.

Sissoko really needs to be shipped out but only if the price is right and Rafa can get his head in the right place – playing his heart out for the club he’s contracted to – Newcastle United. He can be a good player when he wants to be but he needs to be professional, play to his best and make clubs take him seriously.

Easier said than done of course.

• jimmysmith

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:08 AM

35 million is a lot, particularly when compared to 25 million for Widjnaldum, who scores way more goals. It’s on the cusp of pricing him out of the market, and its hard for me to believe Rafa would be happy to lose the pair of them, and so I wonder if hadn’t identified Sissoko as the one he’d prefer to keep some time ago. We must have almost reached the point of no return anyway, with little time now to replace him should he go. Makes me think the decision to keep him has already been made and Moussa doesn’t know yet. Expect fireworks. Tiote too, if he hasn’t already got a strop on. F@ck it, keep them both, and make them play, even if it’s off the bench. If the side plays well, they’ll come round.

• lesh

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM

* I rephrase the second para of my previous post:

Sell him for £35m but if there’s no such bids in soon, let’s hope that Rafa can get Sissoko’s head in the right place – committed to playing his heart out for the club he’s contracted to – Newcastle United

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:12 AM

overrated
    Agree that Benitez brought a air of respectability and basically how to run manage a team and inter-act with the fans.

But I think we have got accept if Benitez sets uphill teams/teams play like they did in the past – there will be set up very defensively – when at Liverpool was Pepe Reina not their player of the season 2 or three times which suggest to me they played defensive hard to break down – so it ain’t going to be very attractive to watch

• lesh

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Jimmy

And I he stays and doesn’t play as we know he can, throw him over the side, let the sharks have him. Arrrrgh, arrgh me hearties, a lesson to all mutineers

• BoyNUFC

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Repost:
    Away on holiday and not been able to get on here as much. Really poor and (for me, unexpected) results but I still have belief that Rafa will sort things out, sooner rather than later! I read an article yesterday that recalled Sunderland’s last promotion season. They lost their first 4 games and went on to be gain promotion as champions that season. I’m sure it’s already been mentioned on here as I haven’t been able to read the blog for a few days but fingers crossed something similar will happen to us!! Keep the faith!

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Lilo, you are more generous, and most likely more rational and informed than me. But I just can’t see how their record stands up to scrutiny.
    BandB, I think that’s a fair point. And it makes Charnley’s decisions to say “yes, yes, yes” to Carr’s questionable Mondial (in particular) recommendations all the more dubious in respect of that.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Sign Robbie Brady, sick of saying it!

Our Left side is non-existent.

Aarons is rubbish. Type that looks like a world beater in casual matches and I imagine training, a relaxed atmosphere, but when comes up against real competitive opposition cannot produce. Injuries have taken a yard of acceleration off him too.

LB, LW and ST needed.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Charlie@14. I have to say I have never really been a student of how Rafa’s teams play. Guess I’ve seen the broader picture of his persona and his results without delving into the detail. Since he’s been here, I’ve seen a conservative and primarily defensive philosophy from him, which is just as you say. I think we can all stomach less than attractive football, but if we keep losing like this it’s going to make us sick whoever ‘s in charge.
    Hail@14. Signing Aarons up on a long contract looks like an act of faith doesn’t it? The more you see of him, the less you like it, or so it seems to me. I have absolutely no faith in the people making these decisions.

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

The club’s public position on Sissoko is just that…public.
    We want £35 million for him and that won’t come down at the end of the window.
    Rafa has spoken to Sissoko and told him to get his head down, work hard and wait for a patiently for a deal.
    Rafa speaks as if he expects Sissoko to heed that advice, and if that’s what he expects he will have passed that view on to Charnley.
    So we’ll get £35 million for him, or hope to get it at the next pass. If we don’t Sissoko will say “fair enough” and put his shoulder to the wheel.
    That’s the public position.
    The questions are whether we will be more or less likely to get our price for Sissoko after this window as he at best plays second tier football or at worst goes on strike.

• nufconceandfuturekings

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Here we go; didn’t take long, did it. It’s taken 8+ years to get our club into this place we’re in. However, some quarters thing Rafa should be turning things around in a few months. Hmm. He needs months, all right; around 60 or so. The club us riddled with a losing mentality. It makes no difference if some new players come in; the psychology of losing is more complex than it can appear. Rafa has to work on bringing a winning culture to the club and that takes a lot of time. Also, it really hacked me off to hears boos on Saturday. Everyone is waiting for us to fail. Rafa stresses the importance of unity so that didn’t help on Saturday with those pockets of dissent where brain cells were obviously being pooled. Two games and booing the team? My God, what a set of ****ers. Give Rafa time. We cannot, we must not, lose him, we’ve waited too long for another world class manager to come to us.
    Addendum…sceptical?
    I consider myself very well educated, AND speak and write UK English!

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Ok, I’ve finally figured out how to clear my identity on here. Not sure if many of you know but for the longest time on here I was accused of being a bloke named Rob Vollans, a WUM from Leeds if you will. It drove me off the blog and to be honest made me feel like shit. Often I came on here to communicate with fellow Newcastle fans, especially when depressed. But ultimately it was my fault that was taken away from me with my childish behaviour. For that, I am sorry. But this is me, little old Jack from Barnoldswick who is of 18 years of age. So, hey!!

I really hope the link works or this will be awkward…

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Anyway, back to football, sorry for my last post for those who couldn’t give a damn.

Really hope we play to a good level against reading, anymore defeats and our confidence will be shot.

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Jack

Whatever your real name is, you have admitted to me and others to spamming the blog with junk under various names over several years in revenge for people not responding to your opinions.
    Stop doing that and you can be whoever you want to be and no-one will mind.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Overrated
    To play the style RAFA plays wants you need a very good defensive players and at the moment we do not have these top defenders and the ones we have are prone to a mistake a game.

We will have to get use to the style and if brings us the outcome we want – promotion then it’s fine by me – So lets be patient and get behind RAFA and the team on Wednesday night

• Jib

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Givvus a quick blast of ” tainted love ”

😀

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM

BandB

I know what I have posted on here, I also know it isn’t right. I haven’t lied since I have been on here, how many other people have stated all of there usernames? I have also explained previously why I changed my usernames.

Look, I’m sorry for everything that i have put on here that has upset anyone, that was never my intention when I joined the blog, sometimes when dealing with my own problems I would take it out on people on here. It’s wrong, I get that!!

I just wanted everyone to know that you was wrong on the Rob front, I know who I am. It is Jack BandB.

Jib

Lol, great song.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Marc Almond? Can’t really see that Jib. They had some good songs didn’t they.

• Jib

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Actually Frenchy he looks more like a very young Roberto di Mateo

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Jack

Really, the best way to make a fresh start with a level playing field is not with another assertion that everyone got you wrong.
    Regardless of your real name, you were, and still are, the strongest suspect for being the serial blog spammer.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Maybe I’ll give you a young Marc Almond, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye era.

• Ian Toon

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:38 AM

LILO – I am afraid you’re buying into what others have said I said last summer and what I actually said.
    I had zero respect for Carver either as a man or a football manager and therefore spoke of a brave new world when Macca was appointed. I called for Macca to be replaced following the pounding at Chelsea when there was an international break

I will respond to your other point as to whether Rafa was a failure last season idc.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Ermmmmm, I don’t look like either of those thanks…

BandB

There isn’t much more I can do. I have said things on here which could lead to identity theft on me just to clear my name as Jack. I actually wish that I was this mastermind blog multiple so I could just tell you guys but I’m not. I was just someone who joined in because like you say i wanted attention and the only way i could see that was through acting like a WUM. But that doesn’t bother me anymore. I just get on with it, I actually rarely post these days.

Am I not allowed to say you were wrong on me being Rob? What more proof do you need? I have literally shared everything about me on here lol.

• Ian Toon

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Jack- I hold a lot of store by Belfast’s judgement. He’s someone who tells it as he sees it, in my opinion. Warts and all. Happy to wait to see what he has to say. Sorry if this is unhelpful.

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM

If you are saying, which you seem to be, that you are not Rob, but admitting you are a WUM and responsible for attention-seeking blog spamming, then of course I should apologise.
    To Rob…..

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Maybe the bloke from Depeche Mode. Around 1990. Personal Jesus.

• BandB

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Jack

As Ian points out, there’s really no point in continual denials when you’ve been caught doing the same thing over and over again.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM

BandB

You know what I’m talking about so I don’t get why you’re playing smart. My trolling was very low key and didn’t last very long. I have already apologised for that moment a long time ago, you would know because you was there.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:54 AM

What am I not admitting? I don’t get it. Denial? I have come clean on numerous occasions. You don’t still think I’m Rob do you?