The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sissoko’s Best Move Could Be To Crystal Palace

3:58 pm, Monday, August 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew had said earlier this summer he was interested in signing Moussa Sissoko from Newcastle, but not for the £35M asking price.

No club has yet come in with a good offer for the midfielder that Newcastle would be willing to accept – and the news that Real Madrid were interested in Sissoko has been completely debunked by Madrid outlet MARCA – and more than once.

moussa sissoko in training

Moussa Sissoko in training last season

On August 3rd they reported sources at the club told them they were not interested in signing Moussa and again last week, after Moussa put out a passionate come and get me appeal to the Spanish giants – reported once again that sources have firmly told them they are not interested in Sissoko and never have been.

So with only 16 days left of the window there could be an opportunity for Crystal Palace to sign what would be a third Newcastle player in the last 12 months.

It could be that Moussa will not get to join his dream club – Arsenal, PSG, Real Madrid, Manchester United – take your choice from what he’s said this summer.

In his latest outburst last week Moussa said he wants to play in the Spanish League, but that could easily be changed to him saying he has always wanted to remain in the Premier League, if Palace do make a bid for him.

But there  again Crystal Palace have never played in Europe never mind playing in the Champions League, so if Palace were to register an interest in signing him, we wonder if that would be a move Moussa would want to make.

They are a small club but have a terrific fan base.

And Moussa has always talked about  leaving Newcastle for a top club – a Champions League club.

The first step is for Palace to get somewhere near what Newcastle want in terms of the bid,  but Rafa Benitez seems to be sticking to his guns and wants the full £35M  in today’s very inflated transfer market that has seen Yannick Bolasie signed by Everton today for £25M.

Moussa could join former Newcastle team-mates Yohan Cabaye and Andros Townsend at Palace but whether they will be able to launch any realistic attempt on a top four place has to be debatable, given they struggled and finished in 15th place last season.

Of course that was still a lot better than we did.

And Palace have never won a major trophy, so it could be a very hard sell for Alan Pardew.

But if Palace come in with a £35M offer then Rafa will accept it and Moussa would then be highly encouraged to join Palace – and Newcastle fans will be pleased to see the back of him.

We should know fairly soon, with the end of August not too far away.

Comments wleocme.d

Tags: Contracts · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM

• 2 firebug666 // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Moussa Sissoko to perfect Percy’s Palace….. That would be my dream move for him too, C’mon Percy £35m and he’s you’rs.

• 3 Moonraker15 // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Top player joining a top club with a top manager haha love it!

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Craig Bellamy was absolute quality. We haven’t got anyone who could tie his boot laces.

• 5 ToonMatt // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM

What a come down, He’s been running his mouth talking about Real Madrid, PSG and Arsenal yet the only club that want him seems to be Crystal Palace?
    What’s the odds that tomorrow Moussa will tell the French press that he had a dream about playing for Palace lol

• 6 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:12 PM

I would absolutely love it if this bugger moves to Palace! Hahahahaha!!

• 7 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM

I wonder if people overheard him and thought he said “Paris”? He might have been hankering for a move to the Kings Landing from day one!

• 8 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM

He’ll only go there of course for Champions League football and to play against the very best.

• 9 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:22 PM

As funny as some of you find all this rumour mill of palace sissoko etc. It doesn’t hide from the fact that he would add to what is a piss poor midfield Rafa has selected for the last 2 games. Would it be funny if he moved to them? Yeah funny for him because whilst we belittle sissoko for his move we find ourselves on ZERO points after 2 games.

Some of us fans need to grow up, at this minute in time we are are a club that is going backwards big time. Gini who was non existent for us last season away from home, managed to get a very good assist for Liverpool yesterday, a goal that gave them the lead. The only people laughing are the ones who find it humorous that we are struggling whilst replacing good players with less than average chap like Hayden and Gayle to mention 2.

• 10 hibbitt // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:27 PM

tell Pardue 30m and Cabaye and he’s got a deal !!!

• 11 Belfast // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Been saying this for weeks Palace or West Brom.

• 12 Belfast // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:34 PM

I see Charlie Austin is being linked with a loan move back to Qpr.

I feel a Charlie Austin article coming very very soon lol

• 13 Belfast // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM

I’d be very surprised if Pardew doesn’t try and replace Bolasie with Sulky.

• 14 lochinvar // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Palace have just sold Yannick Bolasie to Everton for £25M so only need to find another £10m loose change to get their man.
    Moussa might have to reflect on his options….but then again what’s the signing on fee on a £35m move….?

• 15 Belfast // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Lochinvar, if Palace offer 25 million I think we’ll bite their their hand off. Two weeks left in the window and we could really do with the wonga.

• 16 toon kk // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Sissoko will move on eventually, not so sure about the 35 mil part though, wishful thinking /hoping.
    But tbh we need him, our team looks weak to me, I can rise above a few comments by a player who only wants away from championship football. He’s part of our squad which were relegated, imo all players should stay if under contract and the club needs them.

• 17 hibbitt // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Ok 25m and Cabaye and Pards has got a deal

• 18 hibbitt // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:52 PM

toon kk

our team would still look weak with him in it
    what would he bring to the table if he’s made to stay ????

• 19 Charlietoon // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM

These last two games have for me highlighted how important Mitrovic will be this season. We need power and strength up front and the ability to hold the ball up. He offers everything if he can just keep his temper in check.

• 20 geordie157 // Aug 15, 2016 at 4:58 PM

25 mill and Zaha, 30 mill and souare

There’s no way he’s gonna end up at palace…..surely!

• 21 toon kk // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Power, he may not be world class by any means but he is far better than alot of our duds.
    Funny thing is many thought we had a squad capable of 100+ points, fk knows why! What’s changed with people’s opinions?
    We will be nearer the relegation zone than promotion going off our first two games.
    Any decent players should be held onto.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Huddersfield are run on a shoestring. Wagner has made some canny signings and managed to integrate them seamlessly. He has transformed the training, the major difference being that the players now train twice a day.

I can’t believe we’ve spent so much on a poor man’s Jermaine Defoe or given Rolando Aarons, who’s achieved nothing, a lucrative new contract. I wouldn’t be surprised if Niall Ranger isn’t set up for many years to come after hoodwinking our club’s footballing aficionados for so long.

• 23 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Backing Mitrovic and Perez was one of the main reasons we got relegated last season. Have these pair become good players simply by moving to another highly competitive league?

• 24 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:15 PM

You heard Ian, people! Time we all grew up and stopped laughing at the hilarity of our predicament. it’s not big, it’s certainly not clever.

• 25 Belfast // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Noted and understood Ian!

• 26 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM

When you’re dreaming of this club digging their heels in for £35m (and the ensuing expectation it will all be immediately invested in playing staff) don’t forget the club will be looking at the benefits of his wages coming off next year’s P/L. We’ve already probably got his replacement, and he isnt on his wedge.

• 27 Munster Mag // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM

As I said before, we have overvalued Sissoko . To be honest, this is a little embarrassing for all of us who poke fun at Palace, if it happens. First Cabaye , now this.

• 28 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Along with all those falling about on the floor in mirth at our current plight, let’s not forget also those troublesome “Older Fans”, the “Boo Boys”, those who look for conspiracies around every corner…. am I leaving anyone out, Ian? Just Belfast you say? 🙂

• 29 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Munster, tbf I think you’ll find Sissoko kind of helped himself to that valuation.

• 30 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 5:50 PM

I personally think he’s a £10-15m player, all depending on whether him or his twin brother turn up.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:03 PM

It seems Diame has gotten off lightly on here. His performance was a joke. I am listening to Ando on radio Newcastle. He’s being told Diame is the type who blows hot and cold. If that was cold, I would hate to see freezing.

• 32 U.S Magpie // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM

I must say Sissy to Palace for 25 mill plus either one of Cabs or Zaha sounds like a deal made in Heaven.
    We would either get as we know one of the best play makers in the business or one of the trickiest speed mothers out there. Lets hope Rafa has the same idea as we do!!!

• 33 Belfats // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Been saying this for weeks Palace or West Brom.

• 34 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Can’t believe some are having a go at Diame, it was his first game, ffs, what did you want him to do score a hat trick.

• 35 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Newcastle like their “undisclosed fee”. Perhaps they don’t want fans to ridicule them. “We’ve never paid that much on that shite, have we?”

• 36 Belfats // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

I see Charlie Austin is being linked with a loan move back to Qpr.

I feel a Charlie Austin article coming very very soon lol

• 37 Belfats // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM

I’d be very surprised if Pardew doesn’t try and replace Bolasie with Sulky.

• 38 Belfats // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM

i bet that’s from the same hobbits that’s doubting Benitez.

• 40 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Were you there to see Diame’s performance? If not, how can you comment? He was absolutely shockingly bad. And if he was shockingly bad, are we not allowed to mention it? Is that what you’re saying?

• 41 Belfats // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Noted and understood Ian!

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM

We should go in for Charlie Austin.

• 43 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM

So what if he was bad on his debut, he could get man of the match award on Wednesday night, after all it’s only his first game.

• 44 JamesToon // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Agreed mate, understand after all the optimism 2 crap performances are hard to take, but we have to stick by Rafa and the players, they’ll get it right I’m sure of it.

• 45 Rafa Revolution // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Charlie Austin would be a cracking signing, however if last season is owt to go by he wants to stay da’n sarf

• 46 Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:51 AM

BandB- We are in agreement and I won’t seek to dispute the choice of insidious over invidious. This is just the beginning of a devised programme an overhaul of years of neglect and the rebuilding of a club capable of progressing- rather than stagnating. In the short term there will be a few twists and turns as in any new venture. My overblown point is that positive change is not always immediately appreciated. I would suggest that the Hudd’fd game was a regression over the Fulham game. Not all of the fan base fully appreciate that it requires just pushing a button and have just bought into the hype. It is an opinion but Benitez has a hell of a lot to lose- failure is not an option. Ideally he would have liked to have kept the likes of Townshend , Sissoko, Tiote and Cisse. Pragmatism is called for – give and take.

Benitez is still experimenting – some players settle quickly others don’t but in the longer run could make a more meaningful contribution. We are all learning from the experience of having a top draw manager who is certainly on board with the self sufficiency programme because the value is already being seen at Beardsley’s level – so I was told over the weekend.

The question for me, is whether Benitez is being fully backed- I am not just talking about spending Ashley’s money!! Clearly perception is all important and PR does have a role. I can see a time when it will be undertaken by other than solely Benitez.. I also personally value Charnley’s contribution and see him working with Benitez rather than being part of any subplot.

Alignment of opinions often gives a misrepresented personal view.

33Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM

hibbitt- I was a season ticket holder either side of uni and before I went to London to work . I watch as many games live away as I can and the occasional at SJP . I have never booed my own side or individual players. It has already made us a laughing stock- from Winning the Championship to being booed after two games- one of which I saw and there was no booing only mass support. In football the fan base being highly vocal in support is usually the home crowd! Bobby b is one such fan. A model to young and older fans alike. I don’t share the ” you pay your money and you makes your choice” Just my personal opinion. I prefer to support.

• 47 Mister Tuff // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:22 PM

looks like Ian Toon is having some recruitment problems – just like Rafa.
    He’s doing the rounds sounding out potential new team members for this season.
    Looks like Belfast lipped him up yesterday and is off the team.
    Despite lots of tonging Jib seams to ignore him and not follow orders..

Belfast if you get dumped you’ll need on of these.×576/v1/c700x420.jpg

• 48 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Dear Dear Ian – I think we all had a gut full of those posts first time out I’d love to know who egged you on to publish your ‘Best Of…’ compilation. 😐

• 49 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Of course he could get man of the match on Wednesday. It doesn’t mean he wasn’t shite on Saturday. So if he was shite, why can’t I say so? What are you trying to achieve?

What is it that we can’t criticise a player or the manager? Fans who don’t attend games telling fans who do that they’re poor supporters for booing. I don’t know what non match goers imagine in their minds about their heroes in black and white.

• 50 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:27 PM

I think Belfast is a bit preoccupied atm. He has a choice of two stalkers, difficult to fathom which one is the most troubling.

• 51 Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Tsunki- I was giving you the opportunity to be more specific! Rather than just playing to the gallery.
    Feel free.

• 52 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:30 PM

If you can’t play to the gallery here Ian, there’s nowhere to play

• 53 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:32 PM

See Vukic scored two for the under 23’s today – would anyone put him in the team for Wednesday night – big strong lad – I would at least have him on the bench

• 54 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:33 PM

The difference between me and you, Ian is that I know everything I post is just transient nut-numbingly inconsequential claptrap, so I rarely bother to post stuff twice. Certainly not to squeeze the juice out of the failed material and the windy pontificating 🙂

it’s all free though. No royalties.

• 55 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Charlie, I fail to see how the ponderous young plank could do any worse than the incumbents. Wheel him out I say.

• 56 Toon Tang // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:39 PM

That Dalian Atkinson news is the craziest shit I ever heard.

I remember him as part of the triple D threat with Dwight and Dean when I was a soggy youth.

• 57 bettyswallocks // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM

We need players with skill and power who don’t get repeatedly knocked off the ball who can provide service to the striker. We can buy all the strikers we like but if he has no supply then he’ll be as redundant as the ones we have.

• 58 Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM

So unlike Blackley you adopt a blunderbuss approach. He was specific in making his point of view known which gave me the opportunity to reflect and see that he had a point. If your input is so inconsequential why do you bellyache so much when questioned?
    You could have been a contender.

• 59 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM

I agree. But the striker needs to show skill and power. We haven’t got a striker on our books who has proved he has skill and power.

• 60 mindshaft // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:49 PM

We’re two games in with a whole bunch of new players and a whole bunch who don’t want to be here ( Tiote, Sissoko, Rivi etc ), I’m expecting us to kick in after about 4 games although we should get points out the next two .
    Mitro returning will help the forward line as he keeps both CB’s busy and allows runs from others
    Personally feel that Shelvey has as much a been a disastrous signing as any of our French lot

• 61 lesh // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Toon kk

Yes we need someone like Sissoko and the man himself would be ideal, provided his head was to be where it’s contracted to be – Newcastle United.

Until then, he’s a bad influence and we can hope that he realises he’s not a good nor in demand as the thinks or thought he was.

Now if he were to go to Palace (how’s he gonna explain Tha one away) and they were relegated and we were promoted…… Might we become his dream club?

• 62 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM

That’s the problem we have got no-one to play up front or come on just a bunch of Hobbits

• 63 DubaiMicky // Aug 16, 2016 at 4:44 AM

£20-25 million + Cabaye please. Imagine what Rafa could do with him, one of our most talented players in recent years – along with HBA. I’d have them both back in an instant.

• 64 dannitoon // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:48 AM

FFS how can so called fans come on here and say we are going backwards and we are in turmoil.. 2 losses oooooooh.. how did he start when he 1st took over in march..not very well….how did he get us playing…. unbeaten in last 7….so bloody hell give it some time.. 44 games to play… you all wanted an overhaul in the squad.. so what do u expect, another 1992 13/13..or a 2009. both keegan n Houghton had better players and squads

previous post: Hull Striker Could Soon Arrive At His Dream Club – Newcastle