The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Good News – Returning Player Can Still Do A Job For Newcastle

6:44 pm, Monday, August 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 113 Comments

With a lot of tentativeness and uncertainty in the Newcastle team at the beginning of the season, what we seem to be lacking is some experience, so it’s good news today that Tim Krul is almost fully fit again and ready to join the goalkeepers in daily training in one to two weeks.

Tim joined the club back in 2005 and he was mostly the back-up goalkeeper to Steve Harper the last time we were down below.

tim krul at manU 0-0

Tim Krul back in full training in one or two weeks

Tim has been interviewed on nufcTV today and this is some of what he had this to say:

“I’m nearly back.” “The last few weeks have been really enjoyable – I’ve been back outside with the goalie coach Simon Smith.”  “I’ve been working hard with Derek Wright doing a lot of running.”

“It’s just about getting used to it again and it’s nice to be back out on the pitch.” “I’ve had three full sessions with Simon Smith.”

“It’s a bit different, because I’m on my own now so there’s not much rest unfortunately.”  “Normally there’s a few goalies so you can cheat a little bit, but it’s been full on.”

“I feel stronger, my body is really coping well, my knee is obviously better than it has been so it’s exciting times ahead to be back training and I’m looking forward to maybe joining the other goalkeepers in the next week or two.”

“I’ll start to slowly warm-up with them and then slowly get back into the swing of things with the team.” “A couple more weeks before I’m ready for that, then I need some match fitness so I’ll have to play some friendly games – maybe the U-21s – and see what’s available.”

“But I’m look forward to getting that game time again.” “That’s the ultimate, but it’s a bit easier now because it’s getting closer and, the graft I’m putting in, I’m definitely seeing the positives.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

Newcastle will be very careful with Tim and the last thing we want to do is to rush him back and for Tim to have a relapse.

But given Tim could be fully fit again in maybe five weeks or so, it seems it’s almost going to be a free-for-all among the goalkeepers soon.

Rafa Benitez has admitted that once Rob Elliot returns from his serious ACL injury  towards the end of the year, we will have five fit goalkeepers competing against each other.

If Tim can return to his old form, he could become the number one goalkeeper again for Newcastle before the end of the year – and the 28 year-old seems really upbeat with Rafa Benitez now the new boss and Tim has always thrived on competition.

Add to that he’s in the final year of his contract and he could be going all out to get a new deal on Tyneside, but to get that he will need to be at the top of his form this season for the Magpies.

A top form Tim can be exactly what the team needs in a few weeks time.

What we don’t know is that Rafa Benitez is thinking, but he knows Tim is the most experienced goalkeeper we have so we’ll have to see how things go.

But Tim’s presence even back on the training field will help the new players who have come in.

You cannot doubt Tim’s commitment to the club and so far he has played 185 games for the Magpies and 8 times for the Netherlands.

It’s good to see Tim is almost back after 10 months out.

What do you think?

Tags: Championship · Contracts · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

113 responses so far ↓

• 1 lesh // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Can he play left back? Striker? Left wing?

• 2 Rafa Revolution // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM

He’d be a safer bet in goal than Sels

• 3 ShirebrookToon // Aug 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM

He’s good in the hole behind the striker, so ive heard

• 4 NUFCPaul // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM

If he can pass a medical at another club before the window closes then he’ll probably leave instead of signing a new contract. I’ve always liked him but having five keepers, four of which who can play first team football, is ridiculous. Being on the bench as back-up is bad enough, but how will the other two potential first team keepers feel not even making the squad?

• 5 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:10 PM

How is the king doing at Palace in beating his “worst ever” NUFC records. He’s well on course, isn’t he? He must have come out with some legendary excuses in that time. I’d love to see a Palace compilation.

• 6 WWSBRD // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:19 PM

I’d still have Timmy as our best keeper and he was given the no 1 jersey wasn’t he?

• 7 Munster Mag // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Looks like Sels was another poor buy but early days I guess. Hopefully we can beat mighty Reading at home ( and one of their fans wrote an article recently and called us deluded yada yada ) but there is nothing to suggest that we are going to win. If Rafa sets up the same with the same outcome I think we can safely say that the honeymoon is long over. I sarted to worry when I saw the inept effort against Makems

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Munster,
    I wish they’d just sack the fcuker and put you out of your misery.

• 9 WWSBRD // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Munster
    Well if Rafa sets the team up the same and the players perform as they should its quite unlikely the honeymoons over

• 10 Rafa Revolution // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Jib of all people made a interesting quote yesterday:

Last year Burnley Drew 3 and lost 2 of there first 5 games and still won the league with 94 points so yes we have made a bad start but it doesn’t mean we cannot do well!!!

• 11 geordie157 // Aug 15, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Sels needs time to settle but I can’t see how he’s better than Darlow who has good experience in this league and did well after a shakey start.

• 12 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM

I don’t think you can say it’s how he’s setting them up with any authority. It’s not two holding mids for example, it’s one holding and one passing from a deeper position to counter teams who will give us possession and sit behind the ball. We’ve lacked an outlet on the left and up top, and made some unforced errors at the back.

I do see some apparently odd decisions in the transfer market though. I doubt Benitez envisioned going into the third match with this group to select from. We’ve lost some good players, found it difficult to attract the quality and type we need to adequately replace them, while others are unavailable for one reason or another.

It’ll settle down but it doesn’t look as good as we or perhaps the manner had bargained for.

• 13 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM

manager

• 14 Veltman // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM

martoon // Aug 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM

“I have to say I still have faith in Rafa but after Saturday I am worried. It’s not a question of players gelling – to be quite blunt a lot them don’t look good enough. Gayle’s first touch is worse than Cisse’s and even his penalty was saved but he got a lucky rebound.I don’t know what’s happened to Lascelles, he looked calm and assured at the end of last season but so far he keeps making stupid mistakes and giving the ball away – I could go on but I’ll stop there.”

————-

Well said.You pretty much summed it up exactly the way my head is filled with.I expressed my displeasure early on and questioned the caliber of players he’s after.Too many dross brought to the club on long term contract.No wonder why the owner didn’t like to give free reign to managers most of the time.To be frank,
    the only player I wholeheartedly accepted happily was the GK Matz Sels.I felt discontent abt z rest.
    I decided not to get arsed about anything until we get promoted but after what happened, couldn’t hold my breath further.In all honesty,started to miss the likes of Marveaux, Obertan, Cisse etc. ., which I believe may have done well in this division.I don’t know what is in his head but he started to have me worried as well.The most disappointment is that it does seem like nothing has changed on the pitch.

• 15 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM

I don’t agree with some of the decisions rafa has made in signings or selections but it does seem to me some are wanting him to fail. Those seem to be the most ardent of Pardew supporters. Munster I had a dig about zonal marking etc but with the way you go on about rafa etc it’s like you want him to fail. What’s your reasons?

Let’s not forgot pardew had 18 months before he got blasted and rightly so, rafa has been here for less than 7 months. I’m not telling you not to complain as I’m complaining but try to balance it if you can mate….seems like you have an axe to grind!! Let’s see what Wednesday brings

• 16 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Where the f are our signings???

Suppose they want us in the Championship….not even a bid!

• 17 Rotonda heights // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:24 PM

munster…..yawn…..

• 18 toon kk // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Our toon
    I think there was so much expectation before the season kicked off, the majority of people weren’t being realistic, the Mashley regime will take several years to recover from. I, like most are pleased with the Rafa taking charge, but some of his decisions have been strange tbh.
    There’s a horrible loosing attitude at our club and we can’t seem to shake it off.

A quality striker and a creative midfielder is a must, or we’re going to struggle.

• 19 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Munster Mag

Could not agree more. The deluded fans that are blinded and are quick to pint fingers are completely oblivious to the fact we have no sings of progression or play. Wednesday night for me is a loss, unless proven otherwise.

Scraping win does not count that is pathetic. They have not left us with ANY clue whatsoever that things are beginning to work in fact its gone backwards.

I am really interested to see what the fans will say after Wednesday if we do lose. Wan’t to see the excuse….

Ow its only Game 3
    Its midweek they are tired
    ….

• 20 Jib // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Munster the way you go on about rafa etc it’s like you want him to fail.….seems like you have an axe to grind!

No it doesn’t

Our Toon
    I never had you figured as one of the childish hyperbole and exaggeration squad.

Munster and others are merely expressing
    justifiable worries about the seasons start.

We all acknowledge that Rafa has more control than previous encumbents – with more control comes more culpability

• 21 Rotonda heights // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:29 PM

munster

pardew broke record after record for all the wrong reasons both at charlton, whu, us for 4 seasons and seemingly now at cp too, but you kept having a go at people who dared gainsay him and telling us to be reasonable. rafa’s had 12 matches ffs. where’s your rationality.

• 22 WWSBRD // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:30 PM

gorgon
    Are u a parody?

• 23 Rotonda heights // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:32 PM

gorgon

you sound like another who actually sounds like he wants rafa to fail.

• 24 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:33 PM

WWSBRD

You want to say something? You have a point?

Nope, thought so.

• 25 Rotonda heights // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:34 PM

how is sels a bad buy

• 26 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Rotonda heights

Sorry, am I missing something what are you trying to say?
    What argument is that? What don’t you agree with what I said? You think we are making progression? Playing well?

Hell ok we are going great.

What in the hell does Rafa failing on what I mentioned? God sake no, please if anything I want to win the CL with him, hopefully while I am still alive.

So far we can’t beat a single example of Championship opposition. Wednesday not looking likely either on our showing, or you feel like we can beat them easily I gather?

• 27 WWSBRD // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:38 PM

gorgon
    Just trying to work out if what u put on here is actually thoughts or just a parody

• 28 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:41 PM

What’s Munster said that’s out of order? How about all those bloggers and pundits who took us for finishing an easy first? Would they like to amend their predictions? Or do they remain happy, still soaring among great clouds of confidence and wishing to reaffirm their bullish predictions?

• 29 toon22 // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Imho the players we have or what formation dont really matter atm,we need to get a team eithic going.It left us a long time ago and im sure Rafa knows this.
    He just need sto find the right amount of patting on the back and kicking up the arse to get it out of the players.
    As a club we have lost our mojo,find that first and the formation becomes academic.

• 30 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

Clueless individuals who know very little about the game. Whats frightening is we have no idea on the pitch, no pace, no formation at the back.

Goals? I have no idea who is going to create them. CM is a complete static dummy Sunday afternoon kick about.

I am not sure what our plan is on signings but I really did think Rafa would do differently, have an idea he has no control there.

Frightening…

• 31 m1c4a3l // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM

One win is all it takes. If we were to win on Wednesday let’s say 3-0, the whole mentality changes in that squad. Exactly the same way our views would become instantly positive. It will happen on Wednesday the first three points will be on the board and then they will build from there.

• 32 m1c4a3l // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:58 PM

I honestly cannot see another defeat this week.

• 33 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:00 PM

m1c4a3l

Half truth. Honestly I don’t see it happening quite like 3:0 but if there is to be a win which I don’t see happening it will be scrappy.

Even if we do win, its no guarantee from recovery of poor form. I want to see them play football. Win is game 3 but is there a sign we are truly playing again or is it just a blip?

I stay true to my comment. We need 4-5 signings if we want to come back up. So far this is not happening….

• 34 BandB // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:10 PM

I’ve just been watching deadly rivals Anna Mears and Victoria Pendleton chewing the cud and smiling over their shared experiences. In the end we all bow out.
    Two women, bitten by the same bug.
    It made me think that, at the end, we all compete because we care about a competitive sport.
    We are not Olympians. We do not sweet blood over our keyboards, though some of us put in long hours we could otherwise spend with our loved ones.
    Some strive to be the best of the world’s few hundred heptathletes. We blog to the death. We all have our choice of trivial pursuits. We are all loonies.
    God stand up for loonies, and keep them competitive in their trivial pursuit, while they fret their hour on this insignificant stage.
    In the end though, grant them the day they share their brief moment of recollection and respect for all the days when they were kings… of the blog.

• 35 WWSBRD // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM

m1c4a3l
    I hope ur right bud. I do have my worries about how ready we are for the season, not sure we’ve been able to do the business we needed to get, we are short a LW and in dire need of a LB

I don’t see us losing again, pretty sure Rafa doesn’t either so I imagine the squad has been rightly slaughtered by him. Maybe a shake up in the CM area, Hayden out Colback in would be my choice (unless Tiote can be convinced to hang around)

• 36 m1c4a3l // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:17 PM

gorgonzola

Don’t get me wrong I think 3-0 does seem extreme and was purely a wild figure of a scoreline, but I do agree and think like you just mentioned that once that win comes the football has to improve with it.

The Championship can be a scrappy league and I don’t think the games flow as fluidly as the Prem. With wins that in turn brews confidence in to individuals which in turn then helps Rafa and the coaches that what they are doing is right and it also keeps a smile on our faces haha 🙂

• 37 m1c4a3l // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:25 PM

WWSBRD

I think your spot on there in regards to a shake up in the midfield. A Tiote with Hayden pushing on may work. The balance will come this week. The penny will drop.

Can you imagine how the players must be feeling, I feel the nerves for them. I don’t think they could stomach anything but a win this week. The grief from the crowd would be horrendous.

• 38 bettyswallocks // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:28 PM

It is obviously very worrying that the team looks so disjointed and devoid of confidence when we were supposedly ready for a fast start to the season. We still need to address our left hand side as we all realise and desperately need some midfield creativity and a big fast proven goalscorer.
    However if the team is playing the ball forward quickly and accurately in training but not during games then this is a serious problem for Rafa.

That second of hesitancy followed by a launch up field or a backward pass has come back to haunt us yet again.
    It is common knowledge amongst visiting teams that if they quieten the crowd then the atmosphere becomes tense and the players can’t perform fluently.
    Rafa is aware of this as he has mentioned it several times and is why he keeps stressing how important it is for the crowd to stay behind the team.
    Many managers have tried and failed to maintain confidence and self belief in the team and only KK and SBR have succeeded.
    It remains to be seen if Rafa can do it.

• 39 WWSBRD // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:31 PM

m1c4a3l
    U reckon Hayden has it in him to push forward? Am not so sure tbh, I’d have Colback and Diame behind Shelvey, ball winner, carrier and a play maker

No idea who to play on the left unless Sissoko is deemed available. Also think questions need to be asked about our CB set up unfortunately

• 40 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:33 PM

I’m guessing BandB is watching the Olympics whilst enjoying a bottle of wine.

• 41 m1c4a3l // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:45 PM

If Tiote can play that dominant role in which he managed at the end of last season it gives whoever Rafa decides to play with him that freedom to express themselves. So we almost morph in to a 4141 when in possession like Conte has set up Chelsea tonight.

DARLOW

(Anita/Janmatt) Mbemba Hanley Dummett
    Tiote
    Richie Diame (Hayden/Colback) Aarons
    Gayle

Worth a go at home?? Just an idea. Hayden or Colback can come and sit back then if chasing possession or trying to see out a game.

• 42 BandB // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:48 PM

The other great thing about Olympians is that the good ones stick to their own game without feeling the need to respond to every desperate throw.

• 43 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Wine drinking isn’t an Olympic event yet is it? Or blogging? I’m all confused now.

• 44 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:54 PM

….which is my problem I suppose 🙂

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:57 PM

BandB is our version of Jo Brand.

• 46 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Ian Bl**dy Toon you greasy toad how delicately you crouch in the shadows waiting until you discern I’m no longer around, to make one of your slithering insinuations.

Bellyache? Unclear? Contender? If you want me to dumb down my view you better pull up a chair you featherweight. What a ball of gas.

• 47 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Ha ha what’s wrong with Jo Brand, Welsh? She frighten you 🙂

• 48 Yo-yo // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:01 PM

BandB … an ex mental nurse ?

• 49 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Jib
    August 15, 2016
    Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM

No it doesn’t

Our Toon

Munster and others are merely expressing
    justifiable worries about the seasons start.

• 50 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Actually I don’t see the point of Matz Sels. I don’t doubt he has potential and even fills a problematic gap should the unthinkable happen and we are short on decent goalkeepers all of a sudden.

But Darlow wasn’t actually bad. In fact he put in some pretty compelling displays against PL sides with a non-existent midfield and the bubble-browed Argentinian homesick alien with iwannabeawinger full backs on either side. I don’t understand why he suddenly isn’t good enough for the Championship. Any ideas?

• 51 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Jib belongs to the disaffected gang who invested heavily and terminally in Pardew and McLaren and insisted on riding out the perfect storm in their blow up dinghy. Don’t expect a sensible answer as to their willingness to chip at Benitez so early on.

• 52 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Tsunki

Nothing wrong with Jo Brand and no she dosent frighten me, I’m saying she is like her because when someone attacks her she basically puts them on their arse just with saying a few words just like Jo Brand, and that was actually a compliment.

• 53 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Because we will be two keepers down for the first dozen or more games. and if we hadn’t signed Sels we’d have only had Darlow and Woodman for the first third of a hugely crucial season. Who knows what will happen, but five senior keepers is one or two too many. Once fit one will be sold, Elliot for mine, and Woodman sent out on loan, my guess.

• 54 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Jib

I have no issues with what munster has said, if you look back I said before the season started that rafa had bought badly, what does irk me somewhat is that there does seem to be an agenda from the odd few….not all but a few.

Myself and Toon KK were discussing prior to the season how this won’t be a cake walk as most were predicting, I’ve been very critical of Rafa at times but the window hasn’t shut yet and we still have 44 games. The likes of gorgon wanting nothing than an clear win…..I’d take a scrappy goal which comes off someone’s arse as 3pts is 3pts.

At no point have I stated Rafa isn’t absolved blame, but I think some of the blog members have an affinity to a certain previous manager and as such won’t give him time…..and that’s what we need time. Jib cheers for stepping in though….I’ll try to end it on a positive note

SIGN FORRESTERI AND KNOCKAERT ASAP

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Our Toon,
    And your point of that repost is…..

• 56 martoon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Veltman @14 Cheers for that. I thought you were being ultra pessimistic but maybe not?
    I have to say when we signed Sels I didn’t really know anything about him but having seen him play he doesn’t inspire me with confidence. The only signing I was really happy with was Richie, Hanley seems ok as backup and Hayden has potential but not quite ready yet.

• 57 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM

The trouble with players like Forestieri and Knockeart is that if you sign them that brings us up to about half of our core of 22-3 first team players that likely aren’t gonna help you stay up once back.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM

We’ve been shit for five long years now, rudderless, without ambition and just plain Garbage. Maybe a dozen memorable games out of the last two hundred and so many more you’d just love to forget. At long last through no design of their own our callous owners have hired someone the fans believe in, a man with pedigree not desperate for a job. We have got off to the worst possible start but after the shite we have put up with, don’t you think Rafa needs time to put it right. He has brought in eight new players who need to get used to his methods. Who do you think Stuart Pearce would have brought in or more like who Carr and Churnley would have brought in for him. Rafa is the only thing that stands between us and those lunatics going back to ruin the club. Get behind him man!

• 59 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:27 PM

I wonder if Tiote has the hump because he wants a transfer or an extension and is getting neither.

• 60 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Jail

Bit touchy these days aren’t you, I’m using my mobile mate and instead of copying the post it published instead….is that OK with you?

• 61 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Jimmy

Both forresteri and knockaert could make the step up as both have good quality

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Our Toon,
    Just wondered why you’d posted a full post of someone else’s with out a comment of your own?

• 63 welshgeordie9 // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Jail

If you are in bad mood today for any reason then come and have a chat with your mate welshie alright mate.

• 64 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Blackley – no, wine-drinking is not an Olympic event yet. If it was I wouldn’t be on the blog – I’d be up on the podium collecting my Gold medal.

• 65 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Could step up is exactly that, “could”, and we already have quite a few who “might” step up, but more likely would take us straight back down. It means you have a lot more reshaping to do once back, and that of course will require a larger investment.

• 66 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Collecting your silver medal.

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Our Toon
    Forestieri, Knockaert and Assombalonga. It would have happened in Sir John Hall’s day.

• 68 sing in the corner // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Been away on hols,thought I would read through the Huddersfield game match day blog. Wow, some of the comments beggar belief, they really do.
    ‘..Once & future….’ summed it up well on a previous thread. We must give Rafa time, pretty much as long as it takes. He represents the only chance we are likely to have, in the foreseeable future, of sorting this club out. He must be backed, and he must stay.
    I could not believe my eyes, people starting with the Rafa out crap already.
    Howay the lads!

• 69 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Jimmy

With past signings do you think any of those made the step into the premier league? Every signing us a risk, no signing is ever guaranteed of success, so the 2 lads I’ve mentioned have as much chance if not more of a chance than those coming from abroad etc. The first step is to try to get back into the Premier league.

• 70 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Jail
    Nobody is against Rafa. Everyone wants him to do well and is willing him on. No one is trying to undermine him. At the same time he’s not above criticism.

As far as I can see, he’s in control of signings. IMO he’s not bought the required quality to justify the first place predictions. We’ll be lucky to make the play offs. So far, he’s served up two poor performances and has us looking ill prepared.

• 71 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM

sing – there was anger and frustration expressed for sure, but I didn’t interpret it as a “Rafa out” sentiment. More that the club continues to underperform and Rafa has to take his fair share of the flak. To give him time is fair enough, but I think the impatience shown is also understandable don’t you?

• 72 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Blackley

Them 3 players would be perfect in terms of what we need and add Galloway on loan and we are sorted…..now does rafa see that as well, I hope so!!

• 73 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Jimmy @50 – sorry I should have been more specific – after signing the backup in Sels, why demote Darlow, who had performed better across the board than Elliot, for Sels unknown quantity?

• 74 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:02 PM

SITC
    Who has said “Rafa out”?

• 75 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Rafa is taking the heat for his patched up makeshift side not performing like championship winners from the gun.

• 76 Thump // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Impatience? We’ve played two games, for crying out loud.

• 77 Belfast // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:07 PM

It’s often been said to survive on here you should avoid the Saturday match day thread.

Or the suicide squad as I call them.

League 1 here we come!!

• 78 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Anyway off to bed peeps, we need a win desperately, hopefully rafa sees sense and plays a full strength team…..including everyone’s favourite sissoko in place of Anita and Aaron’s out with Richie in. Shelvey out tiote in and play Diame in shelvey position.

• 79 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Thump, the impatience has built up over years man. Rafa was supposed to finally put an end to the misery, and so far, no good. People are twitchy, and the first two games couldn’t have been much worse.

• 80 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Okay. To everyone who won’t criticise Rafa, who is saying we have the required quality? Tell me which of our players you call table topping quality?

• 81 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Belfast you got that right. Suicide Squad.

• 82 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Yeah whatever way you go once relegated has its associated problems. I’ve argued we should keep the group together as best you can, add as few as you then need, and do your major reshaping once back and better placed to do it well. Obviously that’s not ideal either because of possible morale issues or perhaps not even possible anyway with wantaways, but to my mind would have been the best scenario.

• 83 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:16 PM

It reminds me of those religious bloodletting festivals ha ha

• 84 Tsunki // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:18 PM

Brackley – you’re criticising Benitez already? Bit early doors isn’t it? Even carver got a better run.

• 85 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:22 PM

So would anyone who is urging us to back Rafa 100% like to step forward in his defence and point to the quality acquisitions he has overseen to take us to the promised land?

• 86 bettyswallocks // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Blackley….. Probably only Ritchie from the last match, but don’t forget we’re in the Championship and so did well to convince him to come.
    There just isn’t a queue of great players looking to sign for us.

• 87 sing in the corner // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:26 PM

ToF…Blackley
    Can’t remember individual posters, and haven’t the desire to read it through again (once was too much! 🙂 ) but there was definitely Rafa out sentiment in there..
    Someone also pointed out that before and after Spurs there was just about unanimous pleading for Rafa to stay and lead us to redemption against Spurs. 2 games later and the tide starts to turn again.
    Booing the team off…??
    It’s Rafa or bust I think.

• 88 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Tsunki
    Rafa has already spent a fortune. Apart from Ritchie, how well has he spent it? You tell me how it’s too early to criticise when he’s made his purchases and we’re two games into the season with the end of the window nigh.

• 89 bettyswallocks // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Blackley………. Gayle’ll get us a few when he has a target man to play off. We’ve definitely missed Mitro or his equivalent up front.

• 90 sing in the corner // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Blackley
    I think Gamez will be a solid signing once fully adapted, Gayle will be effective when he is linked up more closely / playing off someone, Ritchie looks classy. Haven’t seen enough to make a call yet on Hanley or Hayden..
    We need Mitro available, and we needto sign another striker, obviously..

• 91 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:54 PM

When has Gayle got goals? Have I missed something?

• 92 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2016 at 11:57 PM

If Jesus is good, how come Rafa rates Janmaat ahead of him? Janmaat is so over-rated.

• 93 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Hayden looks bang average.

Hanley did okay for me against Fulham. I was surprised he didn’t even make the bench on Saturday. How does that happen? First choice for Rafa then nowhere? Where did Rafa make the wrong call? Fulham or SJP? No doubt many will say he called it right on both occasions.

• 94 Belfats // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Or the suicide squad as I call them.

League 1 here we come!!

• 95 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Mitro wasn’t good enough last season. I can’t see why he will be this season. He’s not even available to us because of his antics last season.

• 96 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Is Rafa right to prefer Sels over Darlow? Not on the evidence to date but we’ll see.

• 97 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:10 AM

Booing the team off, haha, yes that is a bit reactionary, but it is a disappointing start so that’s what you get, especially from those who’ve tied a few on. A bit of booing surely won’t faze the manager or the players, and if it does we’re in real trouble.

• 98 JAMSHA // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Gayle Needs Support, The Reason We Are Crap Coz We Seem To Love Playn A Lone Striker, Hope We Start Playn 4-1-3-2, Cant Fault Gayle, He Needs Support, Once Mitro Comes In Play Gayle Mitro Up Front, Perez On LW Untill We Get Someone

• 99 lesh // Aug 16, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Despite the fact that Rafa’s gone public in saying we need another striker, we ain’t got one yet.

Could Charnley be watching the pennies? Could he be delaying things in the hope we’ll be able to get some points on board, enough for us to seemingly get by till Mitro’s back and bingo, the window’s closed.

Let’s hope he’s not reverting to the Penfold we all know and love.

• 100 Mister Tuff // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:32 AM

Have the leopards really changed their spots???
    Time will tell.
    They are all in position at SJP -no changes – and we know they are not averse to telling porkies/breaking the law (viz Jonas case).
    Hanging on until Mitro is back without getting another striker will be a red flag to me.

• 101 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:33 AM

Gayle is not a lone striker. It doesn’t work. Rafa should know this and I expect changes at Reading or at least until mitrovic is back.

Sels need to be dropped. I have no faith in him as he looks shaky. Darlow looks more assured.

• 102 lesh // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:53 AM

Mr Tuff

Yup, it all has the makings of Ashley telling Penfold no spend until Sissoko’s sold and thus putting pressure on Rafa to drop his £35m asking price.

However, I’m sure I’m wrong as Ashley’s letting Rafa run the playing side of the Club.

• 103 expatmag // Aug 16, 2016 at 4:48 AM

TUFF

Agree with Lesh. No more in until a few more out.

All this crap about not needing to sell is par for the course.

Furthermore, decent options remain limited now that the likes of Forrestieri and Knockaert have decided to stay with their respective clubs.

Best bet is probably an over priced Abel Hetnandez from Hull

• 104 MapleLeafToon // Aug 16, 2016 at 5:31 AM

Jimmy Smith
    I find you comment distasteful and disrespectful to NUFC not funny at all, you never boo your Club ever. What the team needs is your support not your negativity!

• 105 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 5:34 AM

bite me

• 106 MapleLeafToon // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:00 AM

You are a sorry ignorant person
    Who finds boo NUFC a matter of amusement

• 107 expatmag // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:08 AM

Jimmy Smith

You being naughty afain then?

• 108 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:18 AM

I don’t see the dead hand of Charmless at work here. I think we can’t attract quality players because we’re a Championship club now – even with Benitez in charge.

• 109 AmericanMagpie // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Moussa’s link with Madrid was a farce! HA! Sissoko must feel really stupid after he spoke about them the other day.

• 110 expatmag // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:01 AM

Ron

Spot on. I have had many a good laugh at some of the players suggested by posters on this blog.

We are what we are and we should be cutting our cloth accordingly.

However, we have a very good coaching staff and once our players get used to each other and the sytems in.place, then I feel we will climb up the league and have a very good second half to the season.

• 111 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:04 AM

expatmag

Why would Anthony Knockaert want to switch to another Championship club – especially if his present club had a good chance of being promoted?

• 112 hate // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:30 AM

I’m not convinced by Sels’s performance by any means.

• 113 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Go shoot a f@cken moose ya dope. The post doesn’t advocate booing in the slightest.

previous post: Sissoko’s Best Move Could Be To Crystal Palace