The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Newcastle To Bid One More Time For Attacking Midfielder

8:01 am, Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 5 Comments

Newcastle would appear to have no chance now of signing 24 year-old Brighton winger Anthony Knockaert, since Anthony has just signed a new deal at Brighton.

He has also said yesterday that he is very happy at Brighton & Hove Albion and wants to lead the club to the Premier League this season.

But that doesn’t stop the Mirror reporting that Newcastle will go back in with one more improved bid for the former Guingamp winger.

anthony-knockaert-brighton-knockaert_3464955

Newcastle to bid again for Brighton winger Anthony Knockaert?

Newcastle are said to have bid £6M for the winger and were willing to go as high as £10M, but Chris Hughton’s Brighton seem unwilling to sell one of their best players to a promotion rival.

They are not that stupid.

This is what Knockaert said yesterday:

“I am totally focused with the team and I have been all the time. There is no way the Newcastle bid distracted me.

“I love this team. The spirit is unbelievable. Our ambition is to get into the Premier League.”

“This club deserves to do it and I will do everything to try to make it happen.”

Brighton only paid £2.5M for the player from Standard Liege in January, so they could make a big profit on the player in a short time.

But they are more concerned with getting promoted this season and it looks like they will be serious promotion candidates for the second season running under former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton.

Newcastle play Brighton at St. James’ Park on August 27th and we fully expect Anthony Knockaert to be a Brighton player at that time.

Rafa Benitez is still said to be trying to sign a big striker and an attacking midfielder before the end of August.

Anthony Knockaert would have been an excellent buy for the Magpies, but it wont happen.

Comments welcome.



Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target




5 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Jib // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM

    https://twitter.com/CaulkinTheTimes/status/765255999699771392

  • 2 giimps // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:24 AM

    I wonder if Percy has had his purse strings cut, or if supamoussa has said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • 3 Kabul Fish // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:26 AM

    Can’t access that link Jib as it is social media – anything interesting?

  • 4 Kabul Fish // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:31 AM

    Giimps – can’t see Percy getting the amount together we require but you never know. If that was the only offer surely Sissoko has to consider it as it is a platform for him to pimp himself out on….? His ego must take a battering if no champ league team comes to rescue him ha ha

  • 5 Jib // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM

    The Sissoko saga thus far:-

    Zidane wants him.

    Perez the chairman of Real doesn’t.

    He wants Joao Mario of Sporting Lisbon (after all Portugal won the Euros – Perez is a simple man)

    However Bruno de Carvalho the Sporting prsident is in Italy talking to Inter about Joao.

    Joao’s price is €45 million Sissoko’s €35 million

    It would seem that Sissoko is due to be somebody’s plan B




previous post: Two More Clubs Reported After Top Newcastle Midfielder

next post: Rafa Benitez Lays Down The Law About Ridiculous Mistakes