The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa – It’s Been Bad News For Us – But We’ll Be Fine

1:17 pm, Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Rafa Benitez has held his press conference for the game at home to Reading tomorrow night and we really hope we can a win to break the run of two successive defeats as we start life in the Championship.

rafa benitez press confernce 23

Rafa Benitez – at press conference

These are some of the initial comments coming through from the press conference that has just finished:

“It has been really bad in terms of results, but at the end of the season we will be fine and where we want to be.”

“This is just the start. We have to fix things, but I am confident we can do well.”

“We have had chances we did not take. We have made mistakes at the other end. We can be better in defense, the middle and attack.”

“If we need to change some players against Reading we will do it to find the best understanding between players.”

About one in four fans think we will lose the game against Reading tomorrow night and only one in two think we will win.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Reading?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Match Preview · Press · Press Conference

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Blackley I like the idea of giving him (Tsunki) an injection and putting him down.

• 2 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I wonder if the moaners like gorgonzola, etc. will be mysteriously absent after the Reading game if (big if) we win? Or will they show up and say that it was a freak win and we’re still screwed? They’ll have every right to, of course, but it’ll be interesting to see if they suddenly disappear over the weeks if (even bigger if) we go on a good run.

Something worth keeping an eye on for a bit of extra entertainment.

• 3 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Brackley, Ian –

“What kind of clown are you?”
    “The ‘crying on the inside’ kind I guess”

🙂

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Belfast sorry mate I do the put-downs.

BOOOM!

• 5 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Reminds of Catchy in his bad days Gorgonzola does.

• 6 Siremre5 // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Rafa: “We knew what we needed, now we’ve had confirmation of that (with results). We will be stronger soon” #nufc

• 7 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Boooooooom I’ll give you that.

I’m kinda hoping one win even the scrappiest win ever puts us on a roll.

• 8 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Nufc Paul – I invited Martoon to do one of his lists of Doom & Gloomers to go with his season predictions. It will be interesting reading in a few months, whatever happens. Don’t think he could be bothered though. Quite right too.

• 9 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Please Rafa no Anita tomorrow, am begging u

• 10 jayphoto // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Find it crazy anyone would want rafa gone.
    I question him a lot. His transfer record when paying under 10m throughout his career is pretty shocking and I’m no fan of 4-2-3-1. But fully, fully believe he will have us on the right track sooner or later. We’ve had a big upheaval and it will take time to gel as a side. We need a couple more signings, a lot have come in but then a lot have gone out.
    Apparantly he wants a LB (Galloway) a winger and a striker?
    If we added say Galloway, Knockeart (unlikely) and Wells (not players I want, just strongest links) and sissoko, dejong, Saivet, Tiote go out we’ll have a strong side to go into January with.

• 11 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:33 PM

jay
    That Diouf rumour u heard makes sense, we want strong fast player but am not sure I see Stoke letting him go…or him wanting to be in the Championship tbh

• 12 Spoof // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Its team selection and tactics which have been our biggest problem, not enough attacking players on the pitch will always see you struggle to win games and on Saturday we only had Aarons and Gayle who you could say are really attacking players, that isn’t enough, with this 4-2-3-1 formation I was expecting one out and out holding player probably Hayden with another who can defend but then take us forward, probably Shelvey or Diame with the remaining four being attacking players whose job would be to win the game with those behind them being the ones to keep us in the game, sadly that is not what is happening, at Fulham we had 3 anchor men which left us short going forward and on Saturday it was even worse, none of Shelvey, Hayden, Anita and Diame are all out attacking players, the only ones we had were Aarons and Gayle, and when Aarons was taken off I could have screamed, yes he was playing badly but he was not alone and with no back up and support for Gayle it was criminal to take the only one who could have changed the game off.

Sorry, but unless Rafa has a serious look at who he plays and how he sets us up then I’m afraid this could be a long hard season, he had us set up as if we were away from home in a two legged cup tie and we won the first leg two nil, a one nil defeat gets you through in those situations, but you don’t set up like that against poor championship teams, dreadful management so far, he must do better, I’m sure he can and I’m sure he will, hopefully a little bit more adventure from Rafa will come to the fore tomorrow.

I understand why some have been booing the players, that is every fans right, I may dislike certain players but when they are playing I don’t boo them as I can’t see what good it can do, but others do and they are within their rights to do so, but personally I don’t blame the players for our poor start, I blame the manager, but lets not get too emotional just yet, it’s too early to call it a crisis and to be calling for Rafa’s head, it’s virtually a new team with a new manager, lets let things settle until Novermber at the earliest and then see how we are doing.

• 13 Bradley // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Galloway for our left back
    Anthony Knockaert or Tom Ince
    Wells/Hernandez/assombalonga

Let de Jong sissoko Haidara riviere tiote and saivet leave

• 14 jayphoto // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM

@wwsbrd apparently Stoke will let him go once they’ve bought a couple in but are waiting on Berahino?
    Its a rumour from a client with good connections at stoke but all he said was Newcastle made contact and that he can leave stoke once players come in. Didn’t say or know anything about whether Diouf would want the move etc

• 15 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:45 PM

jay
    Well I’d certainly welcome him at NUFC

• 16 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:46 PM

After a couple of years of Pardew, almost a full season of McLaren who got the relegation job sewn up, a dash of Carver and a smidgeon or two of Kinnear, I think Benitez deserves some slack patching up the previous incumbents’ years of pulling the stuffing out of the club.

• 17 G // Aug 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM

For those knocking the Rafalution over 2 defeats at the opening being a disaster, look at the 06/07 Season. The mackems lost their opening 4 games, and went on to finish top that season. Food for thought.

• 18 Wayayman // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:19 PM

No need to panic yet. Rafa hints that we’ll be getting in the players we need by the end of the window. Much rather have 2 defeats than scrape a draw at home and paper over the cracks. Rafa doesnt have the players to play the way he wants. Yet.

Also, on the formation and people not liking 4321, I wouldn’t get too hung up on it. These days, the best coaches set their teams up to play one formation in possession and another when defending. This is how we’re trying to play at the minute and it’s the transition phase (when we go from attacking to defending) that is catching some players out. He will get it drilled into the players and it will make us a very good team when it clicks. The problem is that a lot of these players havent been challenged to learn new tactics for a long time and are used to playing one way.
    Shelvey is a weak link I think, he’s too slow to react and doesnt anticipate danger very well. Not a great combination for his position! Hayden and Diame will be a great partnership in the not too distant future in my opinion.
    I’m looking forward to seeing what the transfer window brings us in the next week or so. Only once the window closes will I panic if we’re not picking up points and improving performances.

• 19 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:23 PM

I was thinking about giving Tsunki a testimonial before we transfer him but I’m now not going to bother for his cheek. (Brackley, indeed)

• 20 Belfats // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:25 PM

• 21 martoon // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Tsunki I didn’t see it the first time…… but I’m tempted 🙂

• 22 Belfats // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Reminds of Catchy in his bad days Gorgonzola does.

• 23 Belfats // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Boooooooom I’ll give you that.

I’m kinda hoping one win even the scrappiest win ever puts us on a roll.

• 24 bettyswallocks // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM

For varying reasons we haven’t managed to get the calibre of player we need. Like Rafa said at the presser PL clubs are snapping up the best players and we are scratting about for the leftovers.

I wonder how long before Shefki Kuqi and Shola are mentioned.

• 25 Rafa Revolution // Aug 16, 2016 at 2:58 PM

From the Sheilds Gazette

Mohamed Diame and Moussa Sissoko are out of tomorrow night’s game against Reading. The Newcastle United midfielders are both sidelined with ankle injuries and will sit out the Championship game at St James’s Park.

• 26 kimbo // Aug 16, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Hi-HOOOO and off to work we go with 3 of the seven Dwarfs up front, Anita, Gayle, and Ritchie. Then we will put high balls up to the front 3 and hope they can out jump the 6ft4 central defenders and then we will watch Anita waddle back to defend arriving 3 minutes after the opposition have scored, Well this is what I watched on Saturday and expect to see on Wednesday. Rafa prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!

• 27 posada // Aug 16, 2016 at 3:40 PM

How is Gamez not match fit. Jesus this club !

Diame out already. Another Pig in a Poke Perma Crock in the making. He clearly was not up to it on Saturday.

previous post: Newcastle Reported Interested In Championship Striker