The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Wanted Newcastle Defender Is Going Nowhere

5:24 pm, Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

West Brom have been interested in signing Newcastle left-back Paul Dummett this summer – and there’s news today they will firm up their interest in the 24 year-old Welsh International, after they sold James Chester to Aston Villa for around £8M last Friday.

West Brom are said to have had other defensive targets lined, but they have not been successful with those, so they will come back to Newcastle and see if they can sign the local lad.

Paul Dummett No3 Rafa Benitez Newcastle United

Rafa Benitez with Paul Dummett

Rafa Benitez is trying to shore up each position at Newcastle with at least two good players challenging for each starting position and it looks like Paul Dummett will have to fight it out with Brendan Galloway for the starting left-back position.

Brendan is still expected to sign on a one year loan from Everton, once the Toffees have brought in some defensive reinforcements.

There will be enough games this season for both players to get ample games.

Sadio Haidara has also returned to training, but we expect the injury-prone Frenchman to leave on loan before September comes around and he will probably move to a French club.

There’s no way Rafa Benitez will allow Paul Dummett to leave the club this summer – and Paul’s one player who is expected to improve under the excellent coaching of Newcastle’s  Spanish manager.

Paul joined his local club at the age of 8 back in 2000 and he has a contract with Newcastle through the summer of 2019.

He has so far played 77 times for Newcastle with 3 goals, including two starts in the first two games of this Championship season.

Tags: Contracts · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News · Paul Dummett · Transfer News and Rumours

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 ShirebrookToon // Aug 16, 2016 at 5:31 PM

How’s about getting a LB in rather than letting one go!

• 2 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Tsunki – from the last thread, I wonder if the army of whingers took part in Martoon’s original predictions? I’ll be curious to see where gorgonzola and his gang had us finishing, number of points, etc. Of course, gorgonzola knew that there was no WAY we’d win the last game because he’s either clairvoyant or an even bigger football expert than Rafa is. Or both. It’s probably both.

• 3 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Shirebrook – that’s what Rafa is trying to do, right? No news on him wanting to let Dummett go and reports of him wanting to get in another LB in Brendan Galloway.

• 4 ShirebrookToon // Aug 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Thought Galloway would have been a done deal now. Not just LB position that needs reinforcing though is it.

• 5 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM

it’s a painfully slow trudge across this parched wasteland of a transfer window. 🙂

• 6 Harley // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM

I can’t see a lot of activity until we sell s few. I reckon they we expecting the likes of sissoko, Saivet, tiote and rivière to be gone by now freeing up some cash.
    I have an awful feeling the sissoko situation will go down to the last day.

• 7 Bobbybee // Aug 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Just been reading something interesting. Apparently, the last eight seasons, the Championship has been won by three teams getting off to a flier, against five who started off crap. Two games in means zilch in the real world. The question is, does Rafa have the ability and experience to turn this around? Of course he does. I’m amazed he’s being doubted, and gobsmacked it’s after two games! It’s basically a new team and clearly it hasn’t worked out how he’s set it up to work, but give them chance. He will sort it out and he’s well aware of where it needs fixing. Teams have lost the first four and still won it. It’s far too early for doom n gloom.
    I hope Arma gets a proper chance to show what he can do. He’s excelled at every level he’s played, but 8 minutes ain’t proving nothing. I’d start him on Wednesday because Gayle hasn’t worked. He may be small but he can lead the line, whereas Gayle looks a bit lost up front alone and Perez is firing blanks. Neither have ever been prolific, so it’s hardly a shock.
    The booing is for individuals to decide on. They pay their money etc. Personally I never boo. Never have, never will. We’re all part of the club after all and booing is counter productive. If those booing made a bit more effort getting behind the team – which was missing on Saturday – it might help rather than hinder. What we don’t need is players being nervous of playing at home. We’ve got the best manager possible and after the way we begged him to stay, i found the booing embarrassing. Still, like I say, you pay your money it’s your call, but think about the consequences, that’s all. We all want the same thing after all and we do have a roll to play as fans. That’s just my personal take on it.

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Your other fella Aarons has had a few chances now and failed to impress. It’s time Armstrong had a start because he deserves a chance at least.

• 9 Budge123 // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Crowd of 48,000 predicted for tomorrow night.
    The bubble has clearly burst.

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM

NUFCPaul – I think I’d be considered part of that army. I predicted 4th place with 80 pts if I recall correctly. Not impressed with our transfer activity and not sold on Rafa’s team selections and tactics which is how I justified not putting us any higher.

• 11 Bobbybee // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:15 PM

B&B, no idea what’s happened to Aarons to be fair. All that promise needs to start producing. He was poor on Saturday for sure. We know he can do it, so let’s hope he improves.
    As for Arma, he’s earned a chance. He’s looked sharp when he comes on and I know what he’s capable of. So far our forwards haven’t had the best of service, but in those circumstances they need to make something happen, not stand about waiting for the perfect pass. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• 12 lordy_geordie // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I personally like aarons. I would start Armstrong as well and would hope for him to work with mitrovic. Question though, I rated wijnaldum more than sisulko. Id of beed happy 25m for him and 35 for wiji

• 13 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM

I’d start Armstrong too. By default if nothing else because Gayle and Perez have provided nothing. And we need to see what he is really made of at some point. If he’s going to be the next big thing he’s had enough experience of first team football now to show something at this level.

• 14 one fine day // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Hardly burst I think
    48k I would say is decent for a weeknight .
    Those travelling a few hours up the motorway etc always fing getting to week night games tricky
    From previous
    I think your thinking of BOY DONE GOOD ?

• 15 Bobbybee // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM

How many PL clubs would kill for 48k on a Wednesday night? Reading haven’t sold their allocation, which isn’t a surprise considering the distance and some people simply can’t get there. Sounds about right to me. Any ‘bubble’ that can’t survive two losses isn’t worth having after all.

• 16 Budge123 // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Yes was joking ofd.
    48k is an awesome crowd for second div.
    So many on here are over reacting to 2 defeats that I thought I would join in!

• 17 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Budge123 – that’s a superb crowd for a Wednesday night game, especially in the Championship. You’re never going to fill the stadium on a weekday. People work nights or have to be up early the next day, have family commitments, etc. You’ll see similar dips in attendance in the Premier League for Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Hardly a case of the bubble bursting but it looks like people are desperate to find something to be negative about on here lately.

• 18 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Budge123 – just saw your previous response. Good to see that you were only joking and have a grip on reality 🙂

• 19 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM

The overrated Frenchman – I wouldn’t put you in with the negative doom merchants. I don’t expect us to walk this league and would be delighted if we went straight back up. However, we had people on here saying we’d finish bottom half, or even getting relegated again. I’m not saying that either of those scenarios are impossible, or improbable, but to be saying that after TWO games is just crazy.

• 20 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 7:52 PM

And what’s the deal with people complaining about our lack of transfer activity?! We’ve signed eight senior players so far. You could argue about the quality of those signings, but not the quantity. Again, just like it’s too soon to panic about our lack of wins, it’s also too soon to freak out about signings. Rafa has said there’ll be more activity before the window closes. Let’s just be patient people.

• 21 sing in the corner // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Well said.
    Everyone following the toon has endured more than our fair share of pain / misery of course. But everyone has to hold their nerve, stick with the team through thin and thinner. That’s what fans do isn’t it? If we can’t trust Rafa to do the best thing for the club, who can we trust?
    Booing the team when the second game of the season doesn’t go the way we hoped is just daft in my humble opinion. I think bobbybee put it quite well in the past… If you want to steamroller teams every week and everything to be sunshine and giggles you’re probably in the wrong game.
    The lads do care, I think, and they are trying.

• 22 Budge123 // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Agree with all of that Paul. The only concern for me at the moment is the mentality of the team at present. They seem short of confidence and that is what Rafa should be able to give them.
    They are going to have to play under pressure and expectation this season so confidence is something they are going to need in spades. Hopefully it will come.

• 23 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Rather play Sterry than Dummett, why is he still here.

• 24 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Man City should be 3-0, how they have missed two penalties i will never know.

• 25 toon kk // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Norwich 1 up, have to admit they’re a far better side than us and there work rate is far superior.
    We must pull our fingers out before we’re in league 1

• 26 toon kk // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Villa 1 up doing what we couldn’t and bossing the game (so far).

• 27 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Villa are dominating Huddersfield

Funnily enough they seem to have a lot more pace than we do and also Ayew and Mccormack up front offer a lot more than our front 2

Brighton winning again and looking good

• 28 martoon // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM

NUFCPaul @2 I’m afraid Gorgonzola didn’t make a prediction.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:10 PM

If you couldn’t tell that Budge was having a laugh with that crowd prediction then I hope you don’t get an email from the broker of a rich dead relative in Zimbabwe.
    On booing, Norwich won their first game 3-0 and booed their team the following game. It’s not a premeditated response, many of those that let their emotions go would have been at Fulham as well and seeing 180 minutes of dross obviously got to them. Was anyone at the Marseille semi final when the Gallowgate crowd screamed blue murder at Laurent Robert.

• 30 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:14 PM

He didn’t Martoon, but he picked five tarot cards.

All death cards.

• 31 Lager_arm // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:23 PM

‘Rafa’s trying to shore up each position with at least 2 good players’ ha ha hilarious, after watching the first 2 games we haven’t got 2 good players in the squad never mind 2 at each position. If we keep dummett he won’t be a good player as long as he’s got a hole in his arse so that won’t get the numbers up.

• 32 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:25 PM

My dark horses for this season (Leeds) are having a great season so far. 🙂

• 33 Jib // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Is that armchair comfy ?

• 34 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Villa 1-1 oops

• 35 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Cracking assist from the Villa keeper lol

• 36 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:39 PM

If the problem is breaking down teams who just fall in behind the ball and counter attack, then Dummett on the left of a back three might work. Tiote a lone holding mid protecting them. Janmaat, Shelvey, Colback, Ritchie across the midfield ahead of him, with Mitrovic up top and either De Jong or Perez off his shoulder, for example.

The Dummett, Anita down the left and Gayle a lone striker experiment surely won’t ever resurface. At least a tandem strike force of Perez and Gayle is surely needed until Mitro returns, with Shelvey pushing forward into the hole and one holding mid. We don’t appear to have the players at present to play Rafas favoured 4-2-3-1 successfully. I suppose though he might just stick with it till we do.

• 37 toon kk // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Leeds scraping a draw atm.

• 38 Jib // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:41 PM

• 39 NUFCPaul // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Jail – on most forums it would have been obvious that Budge123 was joking, but on here? Some people come out with such nonsense (and saying it seriously too) that it’s bloody hard to tell. Have you read anything that Kets has written? Is HE joking too? I doubt it.

• 40 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:47 PM

I love Kets, almost as much as the peerless Dennis Twice.

• 41 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Whenever I see Aarons, he looks as if he hasn’t got a game in him. No determination, steel or winning mentality.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I thought Dennis Twice was a legend until that night he started answering questions aimed at me when I was on holiday. Very suspicious??? Looked very much like he was trying to stitch me up as a multiple, I wonder who could be behind that?

• 43 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Nooooo, don’t shatter my illusions.

• 44 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Sadly, irony and satire are non-paying and unwelcome guests on this blog.

I agree, Ketsy and Dennis T add much needed seasoning to the blog. I was going to add Belfast to the list of off-the-beaten-track surrealists but he’s got his own fan club.

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Not being funny but Is there anyone in the squad that you do like.

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM

-I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can’t put it down.

• 47 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Aye I remember when Dennis had his nickname hijacked.

• 48 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:05 PM

• 49 Thump // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Kets couldn’t take it anymore when we sold Abeid – he just had to take some time to himself.

• 50 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:07 PM

-PMS jokes aren’t funny. Period.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp // Jan 12, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Jfa. Where are you currently located?

27Dennis Twice // Jan 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM

…Thailand…same attack problem Ashley!

40Dennis Twice // Jan 12, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Dennis…Khao Lak

• 52 Budge123 // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM

What a result for Burton.
    Bet the Sheffield Wednesday fans are booing

• 53 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Two corkers on the trot. boomboom!

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Hacked Tsunki??
    I smelled a rat?

• 55 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Happy to have my copycat around. Much better than those daily updates from the intensive care unit in my opinion.

We’d probably be having a whipround and daily moments of prayer for the gravely ill man by now.

• 56 Belfast // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Copy and paste that one he he

• 57 bettyswallocks // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Belstaf…… He’s out collecting skin to replicate his hero.

• 58 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM