The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Why Newcastle Are Taking A Little Time To Get Into Gear

3:07 pm, Thursday, August 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

What we probably need to realize at the beginning of this Championship season is that Rafa is essentially building a new team at Newcastle and he has cleared out some of the deadwood at the club which should have been done a long time ago.

So we probably shouldn’t expect Newcastle to be at their best for a few games yet, but of course fans are impatient and it’s understandable after a completely disastrous last two seasons (with the emphasis on disastrous) which culminated in us being relegated last May.

wightn gayle rafa benitez training

Dwight Gayle and Rafa Benitez during training

It seems very similar to when Rafa first came in and he took four games with three defeats and a draw at home to Sunderland before he got the ;lads playing really well together.

We went on from then to get three wins and three draws in the last six games of the season, but there is a readjustment going on now.

And a big difference from when Rafa came in last March is that we do have some time and another 43 games to play this season,  so we can can hopefully go on some good runs during the season.

Dwight Gayle scored two goals last night and he is starting to look the part for Newcastle.

The 25 year-old  has mentioned that Newcastle are a new team when he was interviewed after the game last night:

“We are just a new team at the moment and we are developing together.” “I am sure we are going to improve a lot and we are going to make mistakes, but we will keep going and improving throughout the season.”

“Hopefully we can cut them down and hopefully just keep winning.” “They were very different but if I am honest my favorite one was the tap-in.”

“When you see the ball like that your eyes light up and I am so thankful that the ball is played through to you.”

“I would take loads of tap-ins, they are my favorites!”

Spoken like a true striker.

We expect to see Newcastle get better as more games are played and the players get to know each other.

Rafa will also find those players he can rely on and who will start more regularly in each position.

But the Newcastle manager is also committed to using the squad when we are on runs like we are right now with two games a week – and they really come up thick and fast.

Our next game kicks off in less than 48 hours at Bristol City.

A win in that game would show Newcastle are continuing to improve.

That’s what we are hoping for.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Dwight Gayle · Management · Newcastle News

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM

People saying Dummett is slow. He was like shit off a stick more than once when chasing back.

• 2 G // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:16 PM

@1 agreed, for some reason people do not rate him, however, I still see him as a kid learning his trade.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Blackas,
    I’d like to see Dummet replaced for better.

• 4 ballerfan2 // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Unfortunately some people refuse to accept the evidence having already decided that Dummett is responsible for all the ills of the world (and NUFC). It was fairly widely reported that Dummett was the 3rd quickest player in the premier league last year yet these clowns consider him too slow.

• 5 chicousa // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:31 PM

On Dummet being slow…
    He is actually pretty fast tracking back defensively, just not in attack. In fact the article below actually states he was tied for 4th fastest player in BPL last season!

• 6 hibbitt // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Jail for Ashley

so would i but at the moment he’s the best we’ve got

• 7 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Is the Galloway deal dead in the water?

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:38 PM

Jail
    I could say that about every one of them. It’s a question of priorities.

• 9 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Dummet is slow in the heed, not across the ground.

• 10 ToonRich // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:51 PM

28ToonRich // Aug 18, 2016 at 2:49 PM

There’s a few media rumours that small clubs like Port Vale & Wolves may be after Balotelli…we should make and offer to loan, I think Rafa could get the best out of him and keep him in check! Thoughts??

Be good competition for Gayle, and another nutter in with Mitro could cause chaos and bully defences!!

• 11 SuperShearer // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM

@ToonRich. I think Mario could be a good shout. My only concern is there are persistent rumours he is a very disruptive influence. You’d think Rafa could handle him but maybe he wouldn’t want to take the risk. Throw in his HUGE wages and it might not be the best idea.

• 12 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Get Balotelli on FFS!

• 13 BeeGuy // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:56 PM

From what I see, no one wants to pass to Demmitt. Reminds me of how the NUFC squad would ignore Hatam Ben-Arfa when he was on the pitch. Rafa has Sels throwing the ball to him to get him into the game. This is a situation that needs to be sorted out.

• 14 hibbitt // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Ron
    its a 1m loan fee but we want a right to buy if it works out
    they only want a loan deal seems to be a bit of an impasse at the moment
    that’s what was being said last night at the game ………”not sure how true this is”

• 15 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Balotelli will not play in the Champ, not for us and certainly not for the likes of Port-effing-Vale.

Wouldn’t want him anyway.

This Haller, from the little I’ve seen, is the only ST we’ve been linked with that I’m excited about. Looks exactly what we need.

• 16 ToonRich // Aug 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM

@SS, I agree with that’s. But I think since he’s been training with the pool reserves he comes across more chilled and even humbled!

• 17 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Dummet’s problem is he takes forever to do anything. Psses take him forever and he invariably telegraphs them, moving into space I often find myself telling him to “go, go , go!” like Murray Walker, until he finally does.

Just not a naturally attacking FB, which is little surprise given he was primarily a CB and considers himself such.

• 18 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Dennis wise scouting shows haller looks great. Power and agile and tall. Looks Premier league quality. Why would he come to the championship.

• 19 Bowjaw // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Stats mean very little to me, I make my judgements off what I see with my own eyes. like I said I wont slate him too much but any one spouting stats and exerts from articles clearly don’t watch the team play very often. he isn’t good enough!!!! its a shame but still a fact

• 20 funlovingexpress // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Blackley I meant Hayden. I havent a clue why I said Diame ha ha.

• 21 funlovingexpress // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:17 PM

I used to think Dummett was slow. It was an easy assumption to make because he was often left for dead.

He is actually quite nippy. He just thinks and acts really really really slowly.

If he didnt have his pace I dont think he would have ever made it. I think its got him out of some really bad decisions and fans just think ah, hes not the quickest.

• 22 Bowjaw // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:20 PM

ok sorry I will put it another way.

is he quick at cutting out danger?
    is he quick to put a tackle in?
    can he turn with the ball quickly?
    can he pass the ball out from the back quickly?

• 23 Rotonda heights // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:21 PM

i don’t criticise dummett for being slow, just not a very good footballer, a la colback, offers very little.

• 24 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Bowjaw
    If you compare Dummett to Janmaat, Dummett is quicker on all those scores. Janmaat is quicker to rouse the crowd by gesticulating.

• 25 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM

hibbitt

That’s a pity, if accurate. I thought we might have been stuck in a ‘chain’ of player moves.

• 26 firebug666 // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Official Club Statement: Steve Harper returns to Newcastle United

• 27 chicousa // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Hail and Funloving,
    I agree with both of you. Dummett is slow, indecisive, tentative in attack. But not slow of foot. Now if we could blend the defensive strengths of Dummett with the offensive qualities of Janmaat we would have a good LB!

• 28 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM

firebug

Looks like a good move!

• 29 Cyrus Varten // Aug 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Looks like Sebastien Haller is not coming to us. He was the one I was really excited for. What’s the backup plan??

• 30 Bowjaw // Aug 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Blackely I tend to agree with you there and if I’m being honest I prefer Anita at right back. Janmaat is too often caught out of position due to his want of getting forward. At least we have competition at right back. Maybe Rafa will try Clarke at left back but hopefully we will get another in soon

• 31 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2016 at 5:09 PM

I don’t see how people see dummett as “not slow” why is it he gets skinned so often, and cant seem to take on defenders, always sideways and backwards, janmaat/haidara/and probably gamez quicker than him

previous post: Striker Looking The Part For Newcastle