The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Initial Press Conference Comments – Key Player Fit to Play

1:42 pm, Friday, August 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

Rafa Benitez seemed fairly upbeat today and he was happy enough with the 4-1 result and the general play especially in the second half against Reading on Wednesday night.

Next up is Bristol City tomorrow at Ashton Gate and the good news if that Mohamed Diame is fit to play.

rafa benitez press confernce

Rafa Benitez – just completed press conference

Rafa said there was no change in the Moussa Sissoko situation, so presumably still no bids for the French International who is keen to leave Newcastle.

There are 12 days to go in the transfer market.

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa has made on a variety of topics:

“It’s always important to win and to score four goals was even more important.” “Hopefully it’s the first of many.”

“I changed players because you need to when you play two games a week.”  “All of them will be important and they will all take part.”

“Lascelles reacted really well (to being dropped). That’s the reason I gave him the armband.” “He knows his responsibility.”  “We will see if he plays.”

“We know we will play teams who are extra-motivated.”  “Bristol City are doing well and it will be tough.”

“Mo Diame is back in training and in contention for Bristol City trip.”

“We have transfer targets and we are working.”  “I’ll try to do them before the deadline”

“No change in Moussa Sissoko situation – he is still training.”  “He is still not fully fit”

That’s all we have at the moment.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bristol City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Mohamed Diame · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 MAUTITOON // Aug 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM

on wednesday,who was the player who passed the final ball for gayle’s tap in for the 4th goal plz?

• 2 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Isaac Hayden

• 3 Whumpie // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM

It was Hayden.

• 4 Whumpie // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM

The Sissoko saga is just ridiculous; does he not see that 3 good performances for the national side doesn’t make him Pele?
    He played a big part in our relegation and that’s hardly an incentive for buyers.

• 5 JP...from The Rock // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Sissy still not fully fit? Come on thats a load of tosh. He is clearly not playing him so he doesn’t get injured and we can finally sell him.

• 6 ToonRich // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Anyone give me a run down of the rumoured targets for last few days?

I’m away and not getting great internet for updates!! Saw Haller yesterday…but 1 striker isn’t going to cut it, we need more bodies of quality in soon!!

• 7 Veltman // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM

I guess there are no more Rafa defenders then?
    As Spoof said,we gonna have to wait and see how things pans out!!

• 8 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Someone on the last thread said Ings wasn’t going anywhere but I could swear I heard in Klopp’s interview that it was best for Danny to go out on loan to get some minutes on the pitch after his ACL op and that his chances at Liverpool would be limited. It’ll be interesting to see if Rafa’s ties to the scousers helps us beat a few Premier League clubs to his signing.

• 9 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:31 PM

JP – I don’t mind him not playing just as long as we’re not paying him either. Maybe there’s been a discussion behind closed doors that he’ll not receive any wages while he refuses to play. And yes, I know I have absolutely no evidence that he’s refusing to play, and it could very well be the club’s decision to keep him wrapped up in cotton wool so he’ll pass a medical elsewhere, but if he is being a prat then he should be fined.

• 10 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Veltman – you can consider me a Rafa defender, if that means I’m someone who’s giving the bloke a chance to turn things around on and off the pitch. It can’t happen overnight and I trust him to get us to where we need to be. All it calls for is a bit of patience. He’s a quality manager who knows what he’s doing.

If we had a Kinnear/Curbishley/Megson in charge then I’d be more skeptical and probably not willing to give him as much time. His pedigree earns him more time as far as I’m concerned. If we’re in the bottom half and way off being in the play-off spots then I’ll start to be concerned.

• 11 sing in the corner // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM

On Sissoko, I’d be tempted to drop the price a bit or look at a part ex. If it is Everton then Galloway plus cash surely?
    Ings would be a cracking signing. The ACL injury is a worry…how will it have affected his pace, his confidence…
    But to be honest, he’d be unlikely to come to us now had he not had those problems..

• 12 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho! – Wouldn’t be happy being a MACKEM

Lamine Kone — linked with Everton — has rejected the club’s contract offer.
    Yours Kabul having medical at Watfored

signed Piennar.

Looks like there going to be in trouble!!!!!!

• 13 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM

I’m also beginning to think the 35M we’re asking for is a bit much and would definitely listen to offers between 25M and 30M. That said, maybe we’re overpricing him as punishment for opening his gob in interviews a bit too much. Think you’re THAT good? Okay, well here’s how much you’re worth. Yeah, it’s THAT much.

• 14 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Charlie – that’s what makes me laugh about people on here whinging about us not making enough signings. The SMBs have hardly bought anyone and the players they’re potentially going to lose are ones they want to keep. Sure, we’re a division lower now, but I still wouldn’t switch places with the scum down the road!

• 15 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Veltman

Rafa hasn’t done anything that needs defending made a couple of mistakes which he held his hand up
    work in progress springs to mind

• 16 Veltman // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:47 PM

NUFCPAUL – before I start ,why do you keep sagging off gorgon in the last few days?
    He just expressed his displeasure and frustration like the rest of us.His tone didn’t sound like wanting the club or Benitez to fail?

• 17 Belfast // Aug 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM

From what I seen He was getting stick because he laughed when we conceded a pen and laughed when we conceded on Saturday.

Strange behaviour if you ask me.

• 18 sing in the corner // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Yeah that was right, it was all lols, smiley faces and HAHAHAHA etc etc every time anything went wrong..

• 19 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM

veltman
    reading back through the comments during the game he was lucky that’s all he got …………….we definitely dont need people like you defending him ………..damm fool if you ask me

• 20 Jib // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM

NUFCPaul
    The remark about Ings was with regard to Liverpool’s attitude AFTER the loan period.

He can go out on loan for a season but he is , and will be , very much a red .

• 21 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Really happy with our result against reading, still looking shaky at the back though… I’m going for a 1-1 draw with Bristol city. Not confident we have changed that much. Reading just looked ‘that bad’.

• 22 Jib // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:18 PM

I think Rafa’s attitude to the Sissoko price tag is very much a continental one, if you like it’s a contract release clause.

Sissoko has a contract with us until June 2019.

So if you want him – pay the clause – otherwise Rafa is quite happy to keep him.

• 23 Veltman // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM

hibbitt – I’m just curious because he didn’t sound like he mean it and was innocent.And I don’t like to see someone innocent getting slaughtered by
    someone the opposite if you ask me.

• 24 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Veltman – thanks for asking! It’s nice to see that you care about your fellow bloggers. I don’t have a problem with people disagreeing with me, we all have different opinions. Fair enough. But when we conceded a goal he typed ‘HA HA!’ with a smiley face after it.

That’s what a normal supporter would do though, isn’t it?

• 25 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Gorgon is a self-loathing miser taking his grief out on NUFC.

Either that or a mucky Mackem.

• 26 NUFCPaul // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Veltman – innocent according to you, but seemingly guilty to several other people. We’ll just agree to disagree and you can continue to give your wonderful support to someone who takes glee in us making mistakes.

• 27 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Veltman

maybe you didn’t think he meant it but it looks like a lot of other bloggers think he did

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Veltman,
    While the vast majority were angry and upset when we conceded that penalty, gorgonzola or whatever you call him poste Ha Ha 😀 . What is innocent about that, it seemed like he was genuinely happy we conceded.
    The last of Rafa defenders? Ha ha I thought you meant no more signings.
    I think you’ll find there are 51997 more Rafa defenders than those continually slagging him off.

• 29 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM

For what it’s worth and not that it changes too much, but does no one think that Gorgonzolo was playing the part of blog villain?

We’ll get more of it, the more people are criticised for being too negative, they will play up to it. It’s not like we haven’t been down this road before.

If anything, I think he was trying to mock posters, rather than take joy in NUFC doing badly.

Not sure where he thinks it’s going to get him mind.

• 30 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM

just a thought
    Veltman…..Gorgonzola could they be one and the same

just a thought ???

• 31 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Ibiza so you are saying gorgonzola is a poor mans Catchy.

• 32 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Ibiza do you still keep in touch with Catchy shame he took the huff

• 33 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Hibbit , Idon`t think he took the huff he just stopped posting when it became more and more apparent his claims that the football was top notch under McClaren compared to his hate figure Pardew was as deluded as he was.

• 34 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM

It was Jesper who took the huff

• 35 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Tequila…You could say that.

Despite differences of opinion. I don’t think either are indeed mackems.

hibbit…I don’t for a second think they’re the same posters.

I’ve never been “in touch” with Catchy. Do you mean Jesper? If so, then yes.

It is a shame that he doesn’t post anymore. Tbh though, the same joke as when he stopped posting is being played out every few days on here. He no doubt has better things to be doing than be ridiculed on here for voicing an opinion on captaincy.

• 36 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM

ah yes my mistake all to do with rotating captains i believe

• 37 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM

For the record I never ridiculed Jesper for his rotating captains suggestion. God knows Rafa has used a few already. I thought his stance on boycotting even watching Newcastle on the TV was pretty funny though. Never stopped him from having an opinion of everything Newcastle .

• 38 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Ibizatoon
    sorry my mistake yes i do mean Jesper

• 39 sing in the corner // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Rotate-gate…It was nowt more than a bit of boys’ banter surely..??

• 40 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:55 PM

hibbit…Along those lines. I think the actual idea is not to have a captain, but a group of leaders.

I think his main concern was that the “captain” becomes undroppable, like we saw too many times in the past.

For whatever reason Lascelles didn’t play, it was refreshing to see Rafa make the call not to play him.

• 41 Jib // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Ibizatoon
    The poor wee lamb
    It must be horrid to be ridiculed on here for voicing an opinion
    It’s never happened to me – thank heavens !

😀

• 42 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM

sing…Perhaps, however, i think it was clear it wasn’t being received that way. Perhaps that still shouldn’t be a concern.

I think it pretty obvious at this stage though, that he found it hard to deal with, no?

Tequila…Didn’t think you had, for the record 🙂

Not sure what was funny about it. He practiced what he preached whilst trying to still connect with fans of a club he loves, a club where he felt change was needed.

To be fair, did you need to watch Newcastle the past few seasons to know what was going on?

Anyway, I’m going to go. I’ve somehow taken on the great defense of Jesper who doesn’t post anymore and Gorgonzola (who is a mackem, you know?).

Until next time.

• 43 Veltman // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM

tequila – I came to conclusion that hibbitt is a troll and trying to wind people up.No relevant talk,nothing.Don’t bother yourself with him….!

• 44 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Jib…I would never compare the two of you on any level. I’ve no doubt you can handle it, or more to the point, want to handle it.

Make it out to the Balearics this summer?

Bye.

• 45 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Woah, Ibizatoon so downbeat, a shadow of his former self; that once will-o-wisp character that was one of the founding father’s of Optimism Valley during the Pardew era.

• 46 sing in the corner // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Ibiza
    As with all banter, what was funny about it was Jaspers reaction and pet lip about it. That’s the way it goes!

• 47 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Ibixa, I dont doubt the depth of his feelings but to be honest, yes it is imporatnt to watch the games. Even if it is only on TV
    Don`t see how anyone could take their opinion on players or tactics or manager if they had nothing to base it on other than what they read.

• 48 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:06 PM

You’re all stupid… Obviously I’m gorgonzola… Lol.

Joke aside, surprised I haven’t been linked with him yet, ya’know, with me apparently being sussed as the ‘main’ villain.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM

I just can’t get away….or don’t want to….hmmm…

Uh oh…a new villain is being created.

Veltman, stay away from the darkness. Hibbit isn’t a troll.

Hail…Downbeat on what? Not sure I’ve passed comment on footballing issues (although now I type that, I might get in trouble…). I am more upbeat and positive about Newcastle than I have been in ages. I have some hope. It’s nice.

Sing…I suppose that’s subjective. I do think he’d been best off to laugh it off, but that’s me, not him.

I don’t think it was just the captaincy joke that did it mind.

• 50 Veltman // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:10 PM

NUFCPAUL – I don’t defend everyone but I defend someone whenever i feel appropriate.May be I have been mistaken about him.God knows.I do agree with you though regarding Rafa stance.And I have taken and understand your point.
    I have no negative issue with you.Just curious like I said.Enjoy your day.

• 51 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Veltman

nice reply shift the focus from yourself how will you manage keep a low profile for a while till you rear your ugly mackem head once again

• 52 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Both of you should just be quiet, such a petty argument.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM

YoungMag…Not getting enough attention over there?

Tequila…If he were commenting on individual games, then yes. I don’t think he was though, more the club as a whole or it’s approach to things, which was all so predictable.

• 54 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM

hibbit…Chill mate. He’s clearly reacting to your comment accusing him maybe of being a multiple. This is a bit ott, even for this blog.

• 55 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM

So are plans afoot to resettle Optimism Vallye, Ibiza?

Lads, it’s not Jesper’s fault he has thin skin, Scandinavian’s don’t get much sunshine, so need thin skin to get their Vitamin D intake when the opportunity arises.

• 56 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I think it’s a 2-2 draw tomorrow. I can’t see us conceding only 1. It will be a hard game as I feel we got a few more games till we reach our peak. I say a draw because I wasn’t impressed with our performance on the 4-1. Wasn’t so one sided as the scoreline suggests.

• 57 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Hail… 🙂 for both comments.

OV went up in flames.

• 58 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Ibiza

Attention is not required.

Ilovetoon

Agree completely, I said 1-1 on the basis that I want a draw but I also want us to concede as little as possible. But this game has 2-2 written all over it. Hopefully Diame will have a good game and we will get a clean sheet. We need confidence in our defence.

• 59 Ron Knee // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM

It depends who we manage to sign before the window closes. The team as it stands isn’t good enough.

• 60 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM

The one thing that is evident is that this team has a few more catalysts for goals. Now the team is gelling I expect to see goals from Ritchie, Gayle, Mitrovic, Diame, Perez and surprises from Clark, Lascelles and Hayden.

• 61 Mag52 // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Judging by the number of completely contradictory, and I mean completely contradictory, views of how various players have performed week in week out from bloggers who have apparently been at the matches or watched them on TV, it hardly seems to matter whether you see the game or whether you make up your mind from a radio commentary/summary and/or through a newspaper journalist’s eyes, as to having an opinion regarding who played well or badly.
    Not everyone is in the happy position of being able to nip along to SJP to watch the matches, and why should those who can’t be denied an input on here ?

• 62 Jib // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM

One of the things I love about Rafateams is the way the pundits have virtually given up on forecasting our team for the next game.

• 63 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Who said we can’t mag?

• 64 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Mag52…That point has been an issue on here for a while.

At the end of the day, whilst I see the logic in someone being at the game being able to get a better feel/view/whatever, it doens’t work out that way as we all see it so differently anyway. Even people at the games don’t agree, so where or how you saw it starts to become less relevant the more I think about it.

• 65 Jib // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Steve Ryder’s summary of Rafa’s presser

• 66 Griff-toon // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Do you guys think Clark and Hanley offer us more than Collocini?

• 67 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Mag 52 there was never an issue as to only people who go to the games has a valid opinion.My objection to Jespers stance is he had an opinion on everything by by his own admission never even watched a game on TV, That seemed pointless to me .

• 68 lochinvar // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:41 PM

I see that our old friend Moanrinio wants Man Utd fans to make more noise and sing….gross….imagine all the prawns been spat out onto the poor sods in the row in front.

Doesn’t bear thinking about.

( ok its Friday afternoon and I got bored , sorry )

• 69 Belfast // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Bring back Jesper!

• 70 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Griff , not really. Any other season and signings like this year would be construed as poor.

• 71 bettyswallocks // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM

I thought this blog was designed for supporters of NUFC. In other words for fans who share a common bond to discuss issues in and around the club and its supporters.

Disagreements , banter , taking the P..s etc. are all part and parcel of being a footy fan i.m.h.o . However to deliberately gloat when we concede a goal or look like getting beat to satisfy a warped personal agenda can’t be right.

• 72 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Belfast, who is to say he has gone….he cold be your stalker

• 73 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Hahahahaha – comedy gold on the blog again by yours truely – Jib Jibberish (blog pest).

Jib // Aug 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    Ibizatoon
    The poor wee lamb
    It must be horrid to be ridiculed on here for voicing an opinion
    It’s never happened to me – thank heavens !

Jib – difference is Jesper had a bit of knowledge about football – his game.
    Whereas you have little knowledge about football – it not being your game – viz rugby being your game.
    You are a Johnny come lately in the football world -others are light years ahead of you.

• 74 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM

could. I wish the U key on my laptop would fckin work better

• 75 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Attention not required YMFB/Rob? I bet you don’t say that when you need a bedpan 🙂

• 76 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Currently at the club – Jespers rotating captains is actually what is happening.

• 77 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM

i dont have a problem with fans having an opinion after watching the full game on tv but to have such strong views after watching 5/7 mins of highlights or being guided by a radio commentary is baffling to say the least

how anyone could vote for MoM having not watched the game having only seen 5 min max of highlights to base their opinion on is a mystery

• 78 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Yeah on Jespergate, it was jespers hard line to being ribbed about the rotating captains thing. I guess he didn’t realise it wasn’t a joke about his idea really, but then the way he took it so badly became the actual funny thing. And so he cast us off, one and all. I personally found it amusing because he once gave me a bit of stick for throwing one with good old Indian Toon, master of the First Post. Another top blogger who sadly lost his zest for nufc commentary.

• 79 Belfast // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM

I’m in touch with him – Says he only misses Ibiza and me and that Manxpie and Tequila are twats.

Oh and he’s got a breeze block to throw at Tsunki if he ever sees him.

• 80 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Jobs never really been ribbed for having an opinion, because they are usually somebody elses anyway. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.

• 81 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Hibbit I saw Willo get slaughtered on here one week by a poster after we lost and the poor sod never even played.
    Generally the more fixed an opinion the more I discount it.

• 82 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Belfast – I hope that breeze block isn’t spinning when it hits, that would hurt. 😀

• 83 tequilamag // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Belfast, well they do say he is a good judge of character.

• 84 Veltman // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Ibiza – I’m flattered about your defense towards me if you mean it 🙂
    a bit tired though for now, so I have to sip something.Talk later.Enjoy your night..

• 85 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:57 PM

JESPER – come back! You were right all along! The new order at nufc has finally gone with your plan and everything’s turning around now.

• 86 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Ibiza. You’ve got a new friend.

• 87 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM

That’s one you’ve got now.

• 88 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM

I notice the winbar is more subdued for this one. I went for a draw, either that or a hefty thump back to earth with a lousy game and a single goal loss. I still think Rafa is riding out the transfer window, this team is nothing like the one he wants.

• 89 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Bedpan? So I’m still rob to you? Damn you just can’t seem to accept that you were wrong. So fixated on your agenda that factual evidence can’t even convince you otherwise. Sad sad man.

• 90 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM

It’s a shame because before I started posting on here I actually had favourites that I enjoyed reading. Now my opinion on them has changed… Drastically.

• 91 hibbitt // Aug 19, 2016 at 5:05 PM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley

sorry but your still Rob to most of us

• 92 lesh // Aug 19, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Whumpie

• 93 lesh // Aug 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Whumpie

One would think that the penny would’ve dropped by now and our beloved Sissoko would realise that he’s not as good and in demand as he thinks he is.

Ok, folk might question the £35m price tag but after all, he’s brought that on himself.

It’d be good if he just came out and commited himself to give 110% for his club instead of having dreams of others.

previous post: Newcastle Interested In Bas Dost – Danny Ings Available