Initial Press Conference Comments – Key Player Fit to Play

Rafa Benitez seemed fairly upbeat today and he was happy enough with the 4-1 result and the general play especially in the second half against Reading on Wednesday night.

Next up is Bristol City tomorrow at Ashton Gate and the good news if that Mohamed Diame is fit to play.

rafa benitez press confernce

Rafa Benitez – just completed press conference

Rafa said there was no change in the Moussa Sissoko situation, so presumably still no bids for the French International who is keen to leave Newcastle.

There are 12 days to go in the transfer market.

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa has made on a variety of topics:

“It’s always important to win and to score four goals was even more important.” “Hopefully it’s the first of many.”

“I changed players because you need to when you play two games a week.”  “All of them will be important and they will all take part.”

“Lascelles reacted really well (to being dropped). That’s the reason I gave him the armband.” “He knows his responsibility.”  “We will see if he plays.”

“We know we will play teams who are extra-motivated.”  “Bristol City are doing well and it will be tough.”

“Mo Diame is back in training and in contention for Bristol City trip.”

“We have transfer targets and we are working.”  “I’ll try to do them before the deadline”

“No change in Moussa Sissoko situation – he is still training.”  “He is still not fully fit”

That’s all we have at the moment.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bristol City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• MAUTITOON

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM

on wednesday,who was the player who passed the final ball for gayle’s tap in for the 4th goal plz?

• Ian Toon

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Isaac Hayden

• Whumpie

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM

It was Hayden.

• Whumpie

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM

The Sissoko saga is just ridiculous; does he not see that 3 good performances for the national side doesn’t make him Pele?
    He played a big part in our relegation and that’s hardly an incentive for buyers.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Sissy still not fully fit? Come on thats a load of tosh. He is clearly not playing him so he doesn’t get injured and we can finally sell him.

• ToonRich

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Anyone give me a run down of the rumoured targets for last few days?

I’m away and not getting great internet for updates!! Saw Haller yesterday…but 1 striker isn’t going to cut it, we need more bodies of quality in soon!!

• Veltman

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM

I guess there are no more Rafa defenders then?
    As Spoof said,we gonna have to wait and see how things pans out!!

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Someone on the last thread said Ings wasn’t going anywhere but I could swear I heard in Klopp’s interview that it was best for Danny to go out on loan to get some minutes on the pitch after his ACL op and that his chances at Liverpool would be limited. It’ll be interesting to see if Rafa’s ties to the scousers helps us beat a few Premier League clubs to his signing.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:31 PM

JP – I don’t mind him not playing just as long as we’re not paying him either. Maybe there’s been a discussion behind closed doors that he’ll not receive any wages while he refuses to play. And yes, I know I have absolutely no evidence that he’s refusing to play, and it could very well be the club’s decision to keep him wrapped up in cotton wool so he’ll pass a medical elsewhere, but if he is being a prat then he should be fined.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Veltman – you can consider me a Rafa defender, if that means I’m someone who’s giving the bloke a chance to turn things around on and off the pitch. It can’t happen overnight and I trust him to get us to where we need to be. All it calls for is a bit of patience. He’s a quality manager who knows what he’s doing.

If we had a Kinnear/Curbishley/Megson in charge then I’d be more skeptical and probably not willing to give him as much time. His pedigree earns him more time as far as I’m concerned. If we’re in the bottom half and way off being in the play-off spots then I’ll start to be concerned.

• sing in the corner

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM

On Sissoko, I’d be tempted to drop the price a bit or look at a part ex. If it is Everton then Galloway plus cash surely?
    Ings would be a cracking signing. The ACL injury is a worry…how will it have affected his pace, his confidence…
    But to be honest, he’d be unlikely to come to us now had he not had those problems..

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho! – Wouldn’t be happy being a MACKEM

Lamine Kone — linked with Everton — has rejected the club’s contract offer.
    Yours Kabul having medical at Watfored

signed Piennar.

Looks like there going to be in trouble!!!!!!

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM

I’m also beginning to think the 35M we’re asking for is a bit much and would definitely listen to offers between 25M and 30M. That said, maybe we’re overpricing him as punishment for opening his gob in interviews a bit too much. Think you’re THAT good? Okay, well here’s how much you’re worth. Yeah, it’s THAT much.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Charlie – that’s what makes me laugh about people on here whinging about us not making enough signings. The SMBs have hardly bought anyone and the players they’re potentially going to lose are ones they want to keep. Sure, we’re a division lower now, but I still wouldn’t switch places with the scum down the road!

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Veltman

Rafa hasn’t done anything that needs defending made a couple of mistakes which he held his hand up
    work in progress springs to mind

• Veltman

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:47 PM

NUFCPAUL – before I start ,why do you keep sagging off gorgon in the last few days?
    He just expressed his displeasure and frustration like the rest of us.His tone didn’t sound like wanting the club or Benitez to fail?

• Belfast

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM

From what I seen He was getting stick because he laughed when we conceded a pen and laughed when we conceded on Saturday.

Strange behaviour if you ask me.

• sing in the corner

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Yeah that was right, it was all lols, smiley faces and HAHAHAHA etc etc every time anything went wrong..

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM

veltman
    reading back through the comments during the game he was lucky that’s all he got …………….we definitely dont need people like you defending him ………..damm fool if you ask me

• Jib

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM

NUFCPaul
    The remark about Ings was with regard to Liverpool’s attitude AFTER the loan period.

He can go out on loan for a season but he is , and will be , very much a red .

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Really happy with our result against reading, still looking shaky at the back though… I’m going for a 1-1 draw with Bristol city. Not confident we have changed that much. Reading just looked ‘that bad’.

• Jib

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:18 PM

I think Rafa’s attitude to the Sissoko price tag is very much a continental one, if you like it’s a contract release clause.

Sissoko has a contract with us until June 2019.

So if you want him – pay the clause – otherwise Rafa is quite happy to keep him.

• Veltman

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM

hibbitt – I’m just curious because he didn’t sound like he mean it and was innocent.And I don’t like to see someone innocent getting slaughtered by
    someone the opposite if you ask me.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Veltman – thanks for asking! It’s nice to see that you care about your fellow bloggers. I don’t have a problem with people disagreeing with me, we all have different opinions. Fair enough. But when we conceded a goal he typed ‘HA HA!’ with a smiley face after it.

That’s what a normal supporter would do though, isn’t it?

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Gorgon is a self-loathing miser taking his grief out on NUFC.

Either that or a mucky Mackem.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Veltman – innocent according to you, but seemingly guilty to several other people. We’ll just agree to disagree and you can continue to give your wonderful support to someone who takes glee in us making mistakes.

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Veltman

maybe you didn’t think he meant it but it looks like a lot of other bloggers think he did

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Veltman,
    While the vast majority were angry and upset when we conceded that penalty, gorgonzola or whatever you call him poste Ha Ha 😀 . What is innocent about that, it seemed like he was genuinely happy we conceded.
    The last of Rafa defenders? Ha ha I thought you meant no more signings.
    I think you’ll find there are 51997 more Rafa defenders than those continually slagging him off.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM

For what it’s worth and not that it changes too much, but does no one think that Gorgonzolo was playing the part of blog villain?

We’ll get more of it, the more people are criticised for being too negative, they will play up to it. It’s not like we haven’t been down this road before.

If anything, I think he was trying to mock posters, rather than take joy in NUFC doing badly.

Not sure where he thinks it’s going to get him mind.

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM

just a thought
    Veltman…..Gorgonzola could they be one and the same

just a thought ???

• tequilamag

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Ibiza so you are saying gorgonzola is a poor mans Catchy.

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Ibiza do you still keep in touch with Catchy shame he took the huff

• tequilamag

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Hibbit , Idon`t think he took the huff he just stopped posting when it became more and more apparent his claims that the football was top notch under McClaren compared to his hate figure Pardew was as deluded as he was.

• tequilamag

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM

It was Jesper who took the huff

• Ibizatoon

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Tequila…You could say that.

Despite differences of opinion. I don’t think either are indeed mackems.

hibbit…I don’t for a second think they’re the same posters.

I’ve never been “in touch” with Catchy. Do you mean Jesper? If so, then yes.

It is a shame that he doesn’t post anymore. Tbh though, the same joke as when he stopped posting is being played out every few days on here. He no doubt has better things to be doing than be ridiculed on here for voicing an opinion on captaincy.

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM

ah yes my mistake all to do with rotating captains i believe

• tequilamag

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM

For the record I never ridiculed Jesper for his rotating captains suggestion. God knows Rafa has used a few already. I thought his stance on boycotting even watching Newcastle on the TV was pretty funny though. Never stopped him from having an opinion of everything Newcastle .

• hibbitt

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Ibizatoon
    sorry my mistake yes i do mean Jesper

• sing in the corner

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Rotate-gate…It was nowt more than a bit of boys’ banter surely..??

• Ibizatoon

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:55 PM

hibbit…Along those lines. I think the actual idea is not to have a captain, but a group of leaders.

I think his main concern was that the “captain” becomes undroppable, like we saw too many times in the past.

For whatever reason Lascelles didn’t play, it was refreshing to see Rafa make the call not to play him.