The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Shows Real Ambition – We Want To Do Well In Cups

1:21 pm, Monday, August 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Rafa Benitez has just given his press conference and he has said that while Newcastle want to get promoted this season, he also wants to do well in both of the cup competitions.

That hasn’t always been the case at Newcastle in the past, where the Premier League (and its money) was the only thing Newcastle cared about.

Things have changed under Rafa Benitez and for the better too.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez – at press conference – we want to do well in cups

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa made in his press conference this afternoon:

“When you haven’t won away for a while and you win like we did, everyone is pleased. Now we have to be more confident.”

“To win two games in a row has to be the way. We have to be stronger and make sure we can win against anyone.”

“For us, every game is the most important. We have to change some players tomorrow but the players have to be ready to win.”

“We respect our opponents. We know what we want to do and that is to go up, but we want to do well in the cups as well.”

“Mitrovic can give us physicality. I hope he will do well and score lots of goals. It is a good opportunity for him.”

Rafa is now in charge of all things football related at Newcastle and both Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley are doing well not to interfere – and give him a free rein.

That was the deal negotiated last May and Mike and Lee seem to be keeping their part of the bargain.

Of course they are both assisting Rafa in the transfer market, with Lee Charnley playing a key role in signing the players Rafa wants to bring into the club.

It’s so far so good at Newcastle and Rafa has changed the whole atmosphere at Newcastle and brought back some real ambition to the club.

He’s a breath of fresh air and also one of Newcastle’s best signings ever.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: EFL · EFL Cup · League Cup · Newcastle News · Press · Press Conference

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM

hope he’s actually meaning this as mcwally said something similar,then bottled it….a good couple of wins and a bit luck in the draws and its the easier of the 2 cups to challenge for.

• 2 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM

santon was predictable with a weak left foot,liked the lad for his commitment and willingness to stay at newcastle,but thought he would of been a much better rb or rw/rwb….not for me now though,anyway thought he joined west ham a few weeks ago?

• 3 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Mitro straight back into the squad then? Shame Id of hoped he be sat on the bench until he learns to, well to be brutally honest, grow up

• 4 nut meg // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:29 PM

After you mentioned Tierney a couple of weeks ago i had a look on you tube, he looked very very impressive.
    On Trippier & Yedlin I’m sure I read that Spurs said both can go,one on loan & the other one permanent.

• 5 JP...from The Rock // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM

WTF!! West Brom have signed Galloway on a season long loan!!! Motherfu**ers!! So Everton were just screwing with us! I thought the move to us had been blocked because they were unable to get defensive reinforecments themselves before allowing the move to go through. What twats!

• 6 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:35 PM

jp from previous
    galloway signing for west brom and not us may well of had something to do with sissoko,he was maybe a make weight in the deal to sweeten our side of the deal and since he’s lookin likely to go to inter,its fell thru…or maybe the lad didnt fancy us.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM

nut meg,
    Yeah, he really impressed me when I first saw him up there. He will be a top left back in a couple of years. Will be great if Celtic get through to the group stages and he gains experience at Champions League level as well.

That is similar to what I saw on twitter about the two of them. I’d prefer Trippier, although Yedlin wouldn’t be a bad alternative.

Ben Davies is another Spuds full back I’d quite like. I wonder how much it would cost to take both Trippier and Davies.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:38 PM

I’d imagine that Galloway probably chose the Premier league, rather than the alleged story Everton cancelled it. Were there not rumours yesterday that West Brom were in talks for him?

• 9 JP...from The Rock // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Springy- yeh perhaps. But still it is a blow as that is one weak area I had hoped we would have sorted by now. Who would you like to see us sign instead?

• 10 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM

a left back with a good left foot,good engine,good crosser,bit vague i know… but have’nt seen enough left backs to put a name to many,robertson at hull maybe,he’s the only one i’ve seen a bit of tbh.

• 11 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM

@wwsbrd – got a horrible feeling Mitro will be coaxed into stuff a lot more this season. The championship defenders are different breed to the premier league. He’ll relish the physical battle but can see him over stepping it at times…
    on the bright side, doubt the refs will be out to get him like they seemed to be in the premier league. Hes no different to chris martin or 10 other strikers at this level

• 12 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:46 PM

I have the same feeling bud mainly because he doesnt seem that bright

As for refs being out to get him I think he brought that on himself with his actions, he was dangerous and stupid from the off so we cant expect him to get the benefit of the doubt. In the Championship hopefully the refs will allow him a bit more rope but I still expect him to over step more often than not

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Mitro picked up 2 red cards for silly, overly enthusiastic challenges borne out of a desire to do well and help the club. Yes, they were daft challenges to make, and he needs to learn and control that, but his record ignoring those is pretty good for us.

Aside from a red on his home debut and on his final appearance there were only 4 yellow cards for him. Hardly the record of a mindless thug as people seem to want to label him.

Gayle played less than half the time Mitro did last season and picked up a red and a yellow. He already has 2 yellows this season in 4 games. Perez was booked more times than Mitro last season.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Sorry, his first red was his second home game.

• 15 Budge123 // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM

WWS Perhaps Mitro has learned his lesson?
    Only time will tell that. We won’t be able to judge if he doesn’t play?

I agree that he needs to learn. He could be a big player this year. For me he’s a better player than Chris Martin for example – and he’s (cm) consistently scored at this level.

To get the best from Mitro though we need a threat from both wings not just Ritchie.
    Also he needs to show he’s grown up as you say! Here’s hoping

• 16 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM

thats a good point about mitro,lil

• 17 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:55 PM

@Lilongwe – my worry is he loves a fight, and I can see him getting too into the physical battle in the championship. Can also seem him getting 20 goals though.
    TBF, knowing mitros background, his family etc and history I expected him to kick off big time to get a move, its impressed me that hes just got his head down really

• 18 Budge123 // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM

His Red against Spurs was a disgusting challenge. Nothing over enthusiastic about it just stupid and petulant.

If he hasn’t learnt he needs to go.
    Hope he has learnt cos like I say he could be very important this year

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Does he love a fight, or does he just enjoy the physical battle? I’d say it is more the latter, and he gives as good as he gets most of the time. The fact he only got 4 yellows, whilst having received an unfair reputation early doors (only 2 yellows after the first 4 games) would suggest he isn’t as dirty as people think, or is very clever with his dirtiness. I don’t think it is the latter.

• 20 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM

His first two games he was lucky to stay on the pitch as well though, stupid challenges are/were his norm, he got away with a few but most of them were just stupid, I dont think hes entirely a thug but I do think he is a moron

Hopefully yeah but I think he should be punished with time on the bench rather than waltzing back into the team after getting sent off against Spurs for no good reason

Doesnt mean I dont think he could be a big player for us this season though because I do but he needs to learn and mature quick

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Have u seen his record for cards before we signed him mate? Not sure his reputation was earned with us

• 22 Budge123 // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:05 PM

100% agree about his need to learn WWS.
    Hopefully he has and the time already served is punishment enough ( for the team also)

Not sure he’s a certain starter as Rafa preferred Cisse last year – which says a lot lol

• 23 Spoof // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Will Rafa play his strongest side against Cheltenham or not, the truth is he makes so many changes for every game that I doubt if we would no if it’s weakened or not.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Just 2 yellows and 1 red in the remainder of his games suggest to me that he was just over exuberant and a bit too eager to make an impression and his work rate and commitment. I agree, the first two yellows and the two reds were ridiculous challenges from him, but he is a young kid, in a new club and country whom he supported growing up and taking on the mantle of a former idol of his. I think the second red was partly borne out of frustration at being left out for the more experienced Cisse for a few games, but again a stupid challenge.

Not excusing him from these, and he does need to learn from these mistakes, mature and control his emotions better. I think the labelling of him is a bit harsh though, and I think good man management will help immensely with this.

• 25 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:10 PM

possible his lack of cards was because we never got the ball near him last season? he was stood around 40 yards ahead of the midfield most games.
    I like mitro, looking forward to him being back, but he needs to curb a few things.
    Saying that, on his time at Anderlecht, if it wasn’t for the stupidity and the cards we wouldn’t have been able to sign him. Based on his ability and form he’d have gone to a champions league club

• 26 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Hmm u might be right and I am just being harsh on him…hope he got a hefty fine though

He shouldnt get ahead of Gayle though and if we sign someone else he should be 3rd choice hopefully perhaps thats punishment enough

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM

It used to be that we were linked with Erdinc every window for about 4000000 years. But now for the last humdred or so, we have insted been linked costantly with Bad Toss, or Sad Bots or Sod Stab or whatever. A) Will he be just like Erdinc and never actually sign, and B) would we actually want him?

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:18 PM

For the cup, i’d play mainly a second str8ng side, with the exceptions of Mitro because he needs a game, and Diame because he needs match fitness. Mitro would start and play as long as he can, and I’d give Diame half an hour second half.

• 29 Spoof // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Heh heh heh, I love it when people get the names muxed ip !!!!!!!!!!!

• 30 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM

He is a young kid but its not like hes new to the world of football, he is a experienced player (regularly played since 2011) and he has CL experience lets not forget. His career record for cards is terrible for a clumsy CDM for a striker its pathetic

Maybe he should prove himself worthy of the defense he gets

• 31 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM

I completely agree, Fopos 😀

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Diego Costa got 6 reds in his first 4 seasons, plus more yellows than Mitro has so far in his career. The yellows haven’t exactly slowed for him since, but the reds have. He still plays very close to the knuckle and has got incredibly lucky, but I doubt anyone would complain about him being in a black and white shirt.

I agree he has some maturing to do, but it isn’t something that has me overly concerned and certainly isn’t something I would be leaving him out for.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Heading out now, catch up later.

• 34 G // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM

I see Galloway has signed for WBA on a season long loan. That explains why our deal to sign him died then. Sorry if that’s old news, been busy today.

• 35 Spoof // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM

I agree that he needs to cut out the stupid and unnecessary challenges but I think that we need to see what type of player he is, his greatest strength is his strength and to get the maximum benefit from that he has got to be very physical which will always lead to cards of both colour, if we take the physical attributes out of his game, or even if we tone them down then we lose him as a player, he will always suffer from cards and bans, it comes with his type of game, so for me we either accept him as he is or we don’t, and personally I would keep him as he can do more for us in say 30 games than what most could do in 46 so for me he is a must, however it could back fire spectacularly, if he gets sent off early in a huge game and we end up losing that game it could be a season defining moment, but with Mitro that’s the chance you take.

• 36 toon kk // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Rafa will need a better team if he wants to do well in the cups.

• 37 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Not sure comparing Mitro to Costa gives weight to ur dont label him a thug argument mate, Costa is a dirty player

In a team where we could end up needing to rely on Mitro theres no way we can do that. Am not sure how u can be unconcerned by that

• 38 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 2:57 PM

But his cards come from his stupidity not from him being strong, unless ur suggesting his stupidity is a invaluable part of his game?

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 22, 2016 at 3:02 PM

The stupidity can be removed from his game. He will mature, too. I am certainly not writing him off as a thug yet. Being a thug can’t be trained out of you, and I don’t believe it brings anything to a game. Mitro isn’t even midly aggressive compared to some of the games biggest thugs. Vinny Jones, Roy Keane et.c.

• 40 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM

I also think there are a few nastier fowards out there, too. Costa has already been mentioned. Neymar is a niggly cheating little fcuker too. Seen him dive in in a fit of temper a few times. And a certain mr Christiano Ronaldo was well prone to nasty petulant tackles when he was young at man utd. He saw red a few times when things were going wrong for man u.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Aug 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Staring at the ref like a meth induced mad man is not really part of a physical game!

• 42 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM

To be fair, though, several players have had a death stare.

• 43 Spoof // Aug 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM

In fairness I did say that he needs to cut out the stupid and the unnecessary, but what I am saying is that due to how he plays the game he will get cards, last season his two reds were avoidable as they were stupid, apart from that his record wasn’t that bad, however I honestly feel that his record without the stupidity wasn’t to bad was due to him being rather fortunate, he could and should have had more cards but due to lenient refs I think he got away with some, he will pick up cards due to how he plays, just as Costa will and Roy Keane did, it’s in there make up and it goes with the territory.

previous post: Newcastle Have Two Players In Scotland Squad