The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Forward Gets Offers – Likely To Stay At Newcastle

9:04 am, Monday, August 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Rafa Benitez has said that Yoan Gouffran has received some offers to leave Newcastle, but that he is likely to stay on Tyneside and see out the final year of his four and a half year contract at Newcastle.

For the second game in a row Yoan started on the wing at Bristol on Saturday and he had another good game as Newcastle got their second win in a row to finally get the season going in the right direction after two successive defeats.

yoan gouuffran in action bristol

Yoan Gouffran – likely to stay at Newcastle this season

Rafa has talked about Yoan’s professionalism in both training  and working his socks off for the team in the games – and Rafa will be pleased if he stays.

This is what Rafa has said about the 30 year-old Frenchman to the local press:

“We knew that maybe he could be in the market this year,”  “And we have had one or two offers, but he was not pleased with them.”

“He has been training well and I think he likes the way we work.” 

“If he does not get any fantastic offers that he feels he has to take because he is 30 years old, then he is a player who can give us a lot of things.”

“It will not be a problem if he stays. He is a good professional, and he is happy here.”

Yoan was thought to be surplus to requirements this summer, but he is exactly what the team needs in the English second division – especially when we play those tough games on the road.

Yoan works hard and follows directions well and it seems he likes working for Rafa Benitez who respects him as a good professional.

Yoan can do a job for us this season, as unlikely as that seems – and Rafa and Yoan both seem to know that.

We’ll be happy enough to see Yoan stay and then he will become a free agent next summer and with a good season under his belt he should get some good offers coming in.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



Tags: Championship · Contracts · Management · Newcastle News · Yoan Gouffran




10 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM

    I really hope he does, good honest pro well suited to the Championship but ruined by a succession of poor managers.

  • 2 BandB // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM

    Rafa seems to be struggling to convince himself not to chase Knockeart right up to the “we couldn’t get him over the line” point, despite saying himself it appeared to be a vain pursuit and that we should move on to other targets.
    Odd that a man with so much power is unable to follow his own advice, and instead has chosen to follow the failed make-do and mend philosophy of previous years.
    There is, of course, another explanation.

  • 3 hibbitt // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:19 AM

    BandB

    what do you know that we don’t ?
    are we still in for Knockeart

  • 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM

    I don’t think any managers ruined Gouffran (although playing him centre mid was a bit of a push). He has always been a limited footballer who gives it his all.

    People overrated him when he joined, and underrate him now. Doesn’t deserve the abuse he has received from fans by a long stretch, and has attributes that will be very helpful this year. A good solid squad player you can rely on to put a shift in when asked.

  • 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM

    Chronicle says that we made an enquiry for a winger at a Champions League club, but that player has since broken into the side. My initial thought was Moses as he came on for Chelsea at the weekend, but then I remembered Mourinho’s implosion last season and that they weren’t Champions League.

  • 6 BandB // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:26 AM

    hibbitt,

    Rafa said a couple of weeks ago that he felt the Knockeart deal was going to happen and that the “normal” thing for a club to do would be to switch to another target.
    But the briefings from club sources remained that Knockeart remained the number one target and that negotiations would continue “behind the scenes”.
    The fact we offered the regularly hooked Aarons a new contract and are now keeping Gouffran suggests this is the usual news management and that Rafa is waiting to see who he is given.

  • 7 BandB // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:27 AM

    Knockeart deal was NOT going to happen……..stoopid fingers.

  • 8 giimps // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

    Maybe hoping Sissoko stays (unlikely) or that Gouffy can do the job till January and we can see how we’re doing then, if sissoko goes late on in the window we may have to wait till then anyway, but hopefully we’re in the top 3 of the league to encourage better players to be signed.
    Keeping Gouffy is a no brainier for me, always works his nads off both forward and back, I would keep tiote too as backup to Hayden ,let Siem go on loan till January and get him back for the run in.
    Go with the strikers we have ,mitrovic has scored in the premier, Gayle has too, I think with the right set up Arma and even Rivière could too once we get there and we have a settled defence.
    The main issue until Rafa came was the tactics (or lack of them) which meant we had to score 2-3 goals a game to win as we conceded more than that too regularly.
    Keep the back 6 (Darlow/sels Anita,Mbemba,Lascelles and Dummet with Hayden as Dm ) play Shelvey with Hayden and Gouffy, Ritchie as wingers, Mitrovic and Gayle up top…….job done in this league ,keep the back 4 intact as much as possible Hayden as the permanent sweeper and hopefully they will keep loads of clean sheets but for gods sake put players on the posts for corners and free kicks and leave someone on the half way line to force the opposition to leave defenders back.

  • 9 BandB // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:33 AM

    Who would bet against Sissoko being sold on the last day of the window?

  • 10 Jib // Aug 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM

    Lilo
    It could be Clinton N’Jie at Spurs




previous post: Sebastien Haller Responds To Rumored Benitez Call

next post: Frank De Boer Talks About Moussa Sisssoko Being Interesting