The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Two Players In Scotland Squad

1:04 pm, Monday, August 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Newcastle’s Grant Hanley and Matt Ritchie have both been included in the Scotland squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against Malta.

Let’s hope they don’t come back injured.

grant hanley newcastel stripmatt ritchie

Grant Hanley and Matt Ritchie

Tags: Grant Hanley · International break · International News · Matt Ritchie · Newcastle News · World Cup 2018

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:09 PM

cant say i’ve seen much of tierney mate,so i’ll bow to judgement of this lad,but if he’s pushing robertson who a think is a decent/good player then he must be doing things right and have some quality…..what do you think about the yedlin link?….i would like him myself.

• 2 DubaiMicky // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Well let’s face it, it’s only Scotland, like being picked to play for Accrington Stanley in the scheme of things.

• 3 dazza // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM

How’s about straight swap with my Spurs?

Sissoko for Mason, Yedlin, and either of Bentalab/Chadli

• 4 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM

It doesnt happen often me being right

• 5 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM

didn’t think much of Santon here… , his better games were at right back I thought, but as a player that is only a few good games away from any Italy squad, I can’t see him coming here anyway. A premier league move would see him having a chance at the national squad..

Would love to see us have a go for Ben Davies who’s not first choice at Spurs

Would cost a bit, but Robbie Brady at Norwich be a great signing

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM

I think I read on twitter that Pochettino was willing to let either Trippier or Yedlin go. On that basis, I’d much prefer Trippier.

Tierney will be top class. When I was back for meetings at Celtic earlier this year I watched him play and in training. Given it was his breakthrough season he looked an outstanding prospect.

• 7 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM

enjoy it then mate!lol

• 8 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:20 PM

@dazza might have got away with that with Wijnaldum but not sure sissoko is a pocchetino type player and they haven’t been linked at all

• 9 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:21 PM

read they were willing to let yedlin go,must admit never heard the same about trippier,but could of just missed it.

• 10 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Trippier would be good and I remember watching Yedlin in an American shirt and he was brilliant dont remember him doing much since then though but Id argue we dont need another RB when we have Janmatt Gamez Anita and Sterry

Even if Janmatt left we’d still be alright there whereas LB we have no one

• 11 Mister Tuff // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM

BandB – aha the old deliberate mistake dodge used by Jib.
    It is a usueful device but only when used infrequently not all the time like Jib Jibberish.

Manx – you are now causing me self doubt about the window.
    Will check again later on-late – Mrs has issued her job list today and I had better not fail and be spotted on the computer.
    Sky got it wrong a couple of months ago – their item quoted the wrong date – but in the background their graphic showed the right date.
    As I say I’ll check later I hope not to have to give myself a thwacking – will be most embarrassing but a source of amusement to jib.

• 12 JP...from The Rock // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:31 PM

WTF West Brom have signed Galloway on a season long loan!!! Motherfu**ers!! So Everton were just screwing with us! I thought the move to us had been blocked because they were unable to get definsive reinforecments themselves before allowing the move to go through. What twats!

• 13 jimmysmith // Aug 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM

The sizeable scrooge in me likes the idea of Gouffran and Haidarra, both surely more than capable at this level, along with Ings on loan and stick the Janmaat, Sissoko and Tiote money in the bank until January, or better, the close season, in preparation for an epl campaign, when we’ll really need it.

or variations of, using Darlow, Gamez, Clark, Hanley, Dummett, Shelvey, Colback, Aarons, Gouffran, Perez and Rivierre.

Rafa couldn’t get that group promoted?

That’s a top Championship squad surely, and gives you the financial buffer in reserve to add to the kitty to buy three or four very good players when we go back up.

Rafa has been talking four, but I wonder if we need them now. I don’t doubt we’ll need them this time next year, but we’ll need better players then than we can likely attract now.

previous post: Returning Star Praises Rafa – He’s The Best Manager