The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Another Newcastle Player Leaves On Season Loan

4:05 pm, Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 61 Comments

Newcastle have announced that 21 year-old defender Kevin Mbabu has returned to his home country Switzerland to join BSC Young Boys on a season-long loan.

The defender, who played well last season when he did get the chance to play in the Newcastle first team, will stay until the end of the 2016-2017 season.

kevin mbabu closeup newcastel goal

Kevin Mbabu on loan to BSC Young Boys

Rafa wants players who will not be involved in Newcastle’s promotion drive the season to get games elsewhere and some of them – like Kevin and Siem de Jong – will join up with Newcastle again next summer.

On the other hand Florian Thauvin is on a loan to Marseille with an obligation to buy – and that deal is likely to become permanent in January when he has played a certain number of games for the French club.

This is what Newcastle have just put out on the web-site:

“Newcastle United defender Kevin Mbabu has returned to his homeland to join BSC Young Boys on loan.”

“The 21-year-old full-back, who can play on either flank, will remain at the Swiss Super League club until the end of the 2016/17 season.”

“Mbabu joined United back in January 2013 from Servette but had to wait until September 2015 for his debut, as a substitute against Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup.”

“His Premier League bow followed three days later when he starred in a 2-2 draw with Chelsea at St. James’ Park.”

“To date, the defender has made five appearances for Newcastle and signed a two-year contract extension earlier this summer.”

“Mbabu joined United back in January 2013 from Servette, but had to wait until September 2015 for his debut, as a substitute against Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup.”

“His Premier League bow followed three days later when he starred in a 2-2 draw with Chelsea at St. James’s Park.”

“To date, the defender has made five appearances for Newcastle, and signed a two-year contract extension earlier this summer.”

Adam Armstrong and Henri Saivet are two oher players expected to go out on season loans soon.

Tags: Kevin Mbabu · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Other News

61 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM

I think Moyes would have been a little better than Mclaren I dont think with our squad we would have got relegated but I think if he had the level of injuries and defeats as Mclaren he would probably have lost control and resigned which might happen with Sunderland

Watmore , Arnholt and Defoe are their only decent players the rest are shite !

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM

On Mbabu the boy simply has to get playing games hes been sitting on the treatment table for over 50% of his time at the Toon !

Come back next season with a full season behind him to see how he does

• 3 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:12 PM

LCBP

It’s an interesting ‘What if …’ McClaren versus Moyes.

• 4 hibbitt // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Mbabu
    such a shame but the lad just can’t stay fit for more than 2 games

• 5 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Will be interesting to see if these rumours thats flying around today are true….is there anymore transfer info,medicals or anything?

• 6 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:29 PM

We will destroy Cheltenham today. I’m thinking it could go as high as 1-0. This is the beginning lads. The cup run we’ve all been craving……

• 7 firebug666 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:30 PM

SPRINGY

Shields Gazette is reporting Newcastle have won the race for Yedlin and he id due on Tyneside today or tomorrow for a medical.

• 8 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Hibbitt
    Aye.. hopefully mbabu gets a good run of games,same with arma,sdj and whoever else go on loan with a view to getting them back….with mbabu gone,gamez injured and janmaat away soon…the storys of yedlin maybe making a bit more sense then this time yesterday?

• 9 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Firebug
    Hope so,looked decent last season for the great unwashed and really caught the eye in the world cup a few year back, with pace and attacking.

• 10 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Yedlin now and then Judge in January? I’m a bit puzzled by these moves. Yedlin is quite small. He was ok with Sunderland on loan but not great. Judge has had a double leg break. What is going on? Is Gamez a dud? Very strange to bring him in if so. SDJ was certainly and dud. What a waste of space he turned out to be.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:35 PM

What happened to the Das Boot rumours? I quite liked those ones. Gone and forgotten already? Another bit of fiction from the rags I suppose.

• 12 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM

G2

Das Boot could be heading for Sporting Lisbon.

• 13 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM

G2
    Sdj has this season to make a last ditch attempt to make an impression,but unfortunately its probably not going to happen….gamez has an injury from what I’ve read

• 14 firebug666 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:41 PM

I think Gamez is due back from a niggle, maybe he will be filling the LB spot until we find one.

• 15 firebug666 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:43 PM

NUFC Index recon Janmaat has told friends he will be leaving Newcastle in the coming days.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM

This is madness I say! We can’t keep players fit for more than one game? We’re trying to sell players or loan them out but we can’t stay fit. Mbabu, always injured, Gamez the same, SDJ a walking crock, Dummett frequently injured, Haidara, constantly injured. It goes on and on.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Ta Ron mate. That just shows the old Bootster has bad judgement. He would have been far better off with us, pounding them in and then moving to the Prem with us.

• 18 JamesToon // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Yedlin due on tyneside in next few days to complete move

• 19 firebug666 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:50 PM

G2

Calm down mate, stroke a hunny badger or something, it’s very calming.

The permo – crocks are sent out on loan to see if they can stay fit for a season, this way we have less disruption in the squad we keep.

Now comfy with the hunny badger? lets look at winning tonight and everyone will feel much better.

• 20 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Well I hope he works out well. If he can defend it should be all right but he’s only 5′ 8″. How will he deal with big wingers?

• 21 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM

G2

We were first ‘linked’ with DB back in 2012!

• 22 stuart no9 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Any links for tonight’s g

• 23 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Harrumph firebug mate! I’m disturbed about the whole Gamez mess mainly. Fed up with bringing in crocks and sulkers. Maybe somebody needs another wellie in the post…..

• 24 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Edlin to the TOON
    Ganna wind the Mackems up if it comes off – Not a bad player F**in quick

• 25 toon kk // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Mbabu probably for the best him going on loan, he’ll make a good league 1 player one day.

• 26 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Yedlin to the TOON
    Ganna wind the Mackems up if it comes off – Not a bad player F**in quick. like Sh*t of a shovel

Bloody auto spell correct down my dinga in

• 27 firebug666 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:54 PM

G2 a wellie in the post is always reassuring to the fans.

• 28 WWSBRD // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Am not that impressed by Yedlin tbh Janmatt is better in every department than him imo

Not sure how he fits with Rafas style of defender either hes very attacking

• 29 firebug666 // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Newcastle United are pursuing Hearts right back Callum Paterson, reports the Daily Record.

The Scottish Under-21 international finds himself at the top of Rafa Benitez’s ‘Most Wanted’ list after the Magpies missed out on Everton’s Brendan Galloway. The Toffees agreed a season-long loan deal with West Bromwich Albion for the young defender rather than a spell on Tyneside.

Wigan Athletic had a bid of £600,000 knocked back by the Scottish club and are not set to return with an improved offer, leaving the way clear for Newcastle to bring the defender to St James Park.

• 30 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Why don’t we just get it over with and bring back Carroll? Put him in a body cast and wheel him around the ground before each match. The Newcastle Crocksters! Put the injury count on the front of the jersey and have everyone where head bandages…. Harrumph!!!

• 31 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:00 PM

St Etienne will record the signing of two midfielders in the coming hours. Henri Saivet is already in St Etienne. The former Bordeaux player is already in St Etienne and has passed a medical. He’s joining on loan with an option to buy.

• 32 mad-serb // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Afternoon guys.

On the transfer front soccer sauce has been tweeting today that Janmaat to West ham is done for 11m and they also reported that Dost is not interested in playing in the championship.

He fancy a move to the premiere league and the Mackems are in pole position to sign him.

From following them they only post things when they are fairly sure.

I actually don’t fancy Dost from what I have seen of him. So I’d be more than happy if that is true as next year he probably will be in the championship:)

• 33 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Now we’re pursuing Yedlin and Paterson? My God we’re desperate! Let’s get this sorted Rafa! I’m getting nervous with all this sub-par recruitment. What are we doing with Dummett? Is he head of laundry now? And what is Gamez planning to do for the season? I want to get some work out of these plonkers for their wages! Harrumph!!!!

• 34 defenders needed // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Toon kk how can you say that when he played against Chelski they couldn’t handle him he played brilliant, and every other game he played he put a shift in. I think he could potentially become a great player and still only young. I feel he hasn’t been given a chance, and sending him to young boys even though they play in Europe, I think he would benefit better going to a league 1 side or playing in a bottom half champ side, seems like he’s just been packed up and shipped off somewhere.

• 35 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Right then, I’m preparing another wellie!

• 36 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Oh you can Yedlin me this and Das Boot me that but I want to see solid performances out of the players we have! None of this “sorry gaffer but I’ve got chapped lips. I’ll be out of action for at least six weeks” malarkey. It’s just not on!

• 37 Wayayman // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Easy with the wellies G2. Last time I looked they still had the taramasalata residue from the last bathing session.

4 or 5 nil tonight i reckon lads. two each for whoever plays up front for us. Unless we play one up front in which case they’ll get all dem goal blud.

• 38 hibbitt // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:17 PM

defenders needed

re Mbabu
    where he plays or how he plays is not the the problem fitness is the the main issue just can’t string the games together always been the problem since he joined us never stays fit long enough to put a run together

• 39 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Here I am trying to get into my pre-match Battle Thong and I’ve got all these rumours to distract me! It’s….. well it’s just very distracting!!!!

• 40 JamesToon // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Yedlin spotted at Heathrow airport

• 41 defenders needed // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Hibbit I do agree with you but if that’s the reason we have sent him out on loan, why have we kept Arrons, when over the last two seasons he hasn’t exactly been mr consistent when it comes to fitness.

• 42 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Shields Gazette understand DeAndre Yedlin is due at Newcastle in the next 24hrs to complete a £5M move.

Reading TottenhamBlog.com posts look likes Spuds fans rate him

• 43 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Well all I can say is I’m not happy at this particular moment. Not happy with SDJ, not happy with Gamez. Wondering why we pay this lot. Some of them could snap their spines with a hearty sneeze. Unbelievable. And why is Mbabu always injured? And Aarons?

• 44 toon kk // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Defenders
    Mbabu had a few decent games for us granted. But he was part of a relegated team who couldn’t defend to save there lives, the experience of being loaned out will do him good. He still has his limits though.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:27 PM

5M pounds? That seems like a lot. I hope this isn’t another disaster in the making. If Spurs rate him so highly why are they parting with him? It could be it’s because he’s quite short. He has to put on his mam’s high heels to get his heed over the ticket counter at the airport.

• 46 hibbitt // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:28 PM

defenders needed

i agree the only answer i can give is we seem to be well off at the back and more coming in but we have no choice in wingers but that could change and Arrons could be sent out on loan only Rafa knows

• 47 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:29 PM

It’s always good to have a wellie ready for the post Wayayman. I love to keep in touch with Mike.

• 48 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Unbelievable this is. Already fannying aboot trying to replace a player (Gamez) that we just brought in…. It’s testing my patience. I’m verrrrry disappointed!!!!

• 49 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Yedlin and Judge arriving this evening.

• 50 Belfast // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM

One day toonkk will praise someone or something. It will happen! 🙂

• 51 stuart no9 // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM

So with today’s exchange rate €35m for soko , I’d snap their hand off

• 52 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM

pics of yedlin at newcastle airport apparently

• 53 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM

We don’t want Judge now! Send him back! He’s not use to us now! This is getting out of hand! What good is another crock? Ron tell me it isn’t true mate. So as far as I can see we’re selling Janmaat, Gamez is a sulky crock and we’re bringing in lesser players to replace them. Haidara is injured as usual and Dummett can’t find his own arse with a mirror and a telescope. I’m completely fed up!

• 54 JamesToon // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:44 PM

ron knee

last time i saw judge news was that a deal was closer to being completed in january.

So whats happening with gamez then? Is he going to be converted to left back? Whats happening with Anita/Sterry? Janmaat probs on his way out not that bothered.

• 55 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:44 PM

also meant to be after a lb from palermo….lazaar or something

• 56 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I’m going to have to send out more wellies. Beardo is hopeless as a manager. Why is he still with us? Get him oot Rafa. Sort this whole Gamez affair oot as well. Does he want to be with us? If not point point him at Europe and give him a size 12 up the arse.

• 57 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:46 PM

James

From The Chronic:-
    “Here he (Yedlin) is folks. We understand Alan Judge is on a later flight.”

• 58 GeordieTwo // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:47 PM

What??? Another LB springy???? We’re after another one? Wait, this is too much. I’m meant to be in me pre-match frenzy by now. I’ve got thongs to put on and me black and white face paint. This is terrible!!!

• 59 Belfast // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM

I see the Fa have charged Andre Gray with misconduct for something he tweeted four years ago lol

• 60 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM

g2
    you seem to have a right hair up your arse today mate,chill man….see where we are after the window shuts!lol

• 61 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 5:51 PM

belfast
    aye ,i seen that today,had a little laugh to my sell…what they do fall asleep or something!!lol

previous post: Report – Jurgen Klopp To Make Late Move For Sissoko