Darlow, Sterry, Aarons, Hanley, Gamez and Mitrovic All Start

nufc-emblemCheltenham_Town_FC_logo

Rafa Benitez had just announced his team for the second round EFL tie tonight at St. James’ Park against League Two club Cheltenham Town and Karl Darlow and Jesus Gamez get their first run-outs for Newcastle this season.

Newcastle (4-2-3-1): Karl Darlow; Jamie Sterry, Jamaal Lascelles, Grant Hanley, Jesus Gamez; Jonjo Shelvey, Jack Colback; Rolando Aarons, Mohamed Diame, Ayoze Perez; Aleksandar Mitrovic
Substitutes: Matz Sels, Paul Dummett, Chancel Mbemba, Vurnon Anita, Isaac Hayden, Yoan Gouffran, Dwight Gayle

Gamez starts at left-back so we’ll be able to get a first look at the player and it’s good to see Karl Darlow get a chance – he was great for us in the last eight games of last season after Rob Elliot was injured.

Scottish International Grant Hanley also gets a start alongside captain Jamaal Lascelles in central defense and Mitro is back up front with Dwight Gayle taking a rest on the bench.

The two holding midfielders are Jonjo Shelvey and local lad Jack Colback and the two wingers are Ayzoe Perez and Rolando Aarons.

Powerhouse Mohamed Diame starts in the number 10 slot behind Mitro and it gives him a chance to get fitter.

We would expect him to play maybe around an hour tonight, since he’s likely to start against Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.

A massive 92% think we will win this game tonight, but we cannot be complacent and we certainly cannot take anything for granted – we have to win this match tonight.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Cheltenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

• SUTTY1978

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Repost

53SUTTY1978 // Aug 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Just looked up some of Yedlins stats. His passing % is horrible 66% for a full back is woeful. I remember Santon used to average about 90 in most games. Also he has basically 1 assist in the last 2 years, so not much cop going forward. All well and good that he’s quick but so was Obertan and he was fleck in useless.
    Can’t understand why we keep buying right sided players when the problem we have had for years (since Enrique + Jonas) is clearly the left hand side. We can’t go forward down the left and we also get ripped apart down the left. Just bloody bizarre

• SPRINGY

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM

sutty
    just replacing janmaat,see what he has to offer.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Much stronger than I expected.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Yedlin – nice to have a genuine speedster in the squad, however I can’t say I’m overjoyed we’ve allocated £5m to a position we don’t need.

Hopefully Rafa can coach him into being an effective attacking full-back, because he has the athleticism, just a question of overall ability given his complete lack of impact at Spurs..

Feel like we’re going to be let down on the winger front and LB seems like we’re going to go with Dummet/Gamez/Clark

• Jib

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Has anyone mentioned Rob Elliot has a new contract ?

• GeordieTwo

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Only 10 men in your starting lineup Ed?

• Thump

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Stats aren’t everything Sutty. Wijnaldum was one of our top players according to stats last season. As long as he’s giving it a good go of it, I’m okay.

Not to say that I’m particularly fussed about him. I think £5m is daft money for him.

• geordie157

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Strong line up, good bench so no excuses tonight.

• Colos love child

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

link anyone audio or visual will do

• WWSBRD

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Strong team but Rafa loves cups so I wasnt expecting anything less

Big win tonight hopefully then get some signing in for the much bigger game coming up

• SUTTY1978

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:53 PM

So Perez on the left and Aarons on the right according to official team sheet. Seems a bit counter intuitive when playing Mitro up top.
    Decent team though, I do worry about being dominated by their midfield as we have Colback playing

• manxpie

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:53 PM

decent team was expecting alot weaker tbh
    on mccarthy he was shocking last season at fault for quite a few goals so hope we aren’t after him

• GeordieTwo

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM

I suppose 10 men should be enough against Cheltenham…..

• WWSBRD

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Yedlin looked great in the World cup to be fair to him but has done very little since signing for Spurs but hey ho I will give him a chance and hope for the best…sadly will wave goodbye to Janmatt though so good luck to him. In a good team he will shine imo

• SUTTY1978

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM

My problem isn’t so much buying Yedlins, it’s not buying players where we desperately need them, on the left. I had the same issue when we bought Thauvin, I could see he would be our last purchase and it was a big wedge of cash wasted on someone who was
    A) crap
    B) not required in the first place.

I’ll be happy enough with Yedlins if we do solve the LH side issues before the end of the window but if we don’t then I will be resentful we have bought him.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Glad Gamez is going to get his 1st competitive match under his belt. Hopefully put in a performance that demonstrates how hapless on the ball those that have played there so far this season are.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Hail i wudnt write off a winger yet. Rafa is ambitious and will demand players. We needa left winger unless aarons develops fast but i think he will get injured anyway.

• SUTTY1978

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:58 PM

For me at RB
    Anita>Janmaat>Yedlin

• GeordieTwo

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Sutty I think Yedlin had 7 assists in 31 appearances for Sunderland mate. I’m not convinced about him either but at least he adds a lot of pace.

• SPRINGY

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:00 PM

sutty
    agree we need to get players in for our weaker positions but got to be the right players,and the the right players are few and far between at the right money…think thats why getting these players in is taking so long.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:00 PM

I think rafa wants full backs whocan defend, ahead of attack. Both yedlin and gamez are defenders first and foremost. That means he HAS to get the wings sorted

• mattyNUFC

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Have to say I’ve had big hopes for Yedlin and I feel like if anything he’s regressed from what made him excel initially

The lead up to the 2014 World Cup was exciting. He was quick and unpredictable. Since his move to England he seems scared to get forward, which, for a defender who is a sub par defender to begin with, doesn’t leave a lot to look forward to

I really wanted him here when he was still in Seattle. Really not sure why we’re spending 5m on him at this point

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

7 assists is ok for a fullback i wud think?

• Rafa Revolution

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

TBF Yedlin will be working under his first decent manager, Allardyce is a carp manager

• WWSBRD

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Munster
    I think u and I have watched different Yedlins mate

• Jib

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Rafa clearly think Colback is enough in front of the defense and thinks a diamond 4-1-2-1-2 will work against inferior opposition.
    With a few players looking to claim a first team spot there could be fireworks tonight

• JamesToon

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:03 PM

G2 are you sure about that?? I read he only had 1 assist

• GeordieTwo

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM

I wouldn’t even put Allardyce in charge of carp Rafa mate. Carp need a lot of leadership as they aren’t very bright…..

• DeanToon88

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM

any links lads?

• GeordieTwo

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM

I looked it up JamesToon mate but it could be wrong. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM

SUTTY,
    Are you honestly worried about being dominated by Cheltenham’s midfield, pray do tell, what do you know about this frightening midfield from the league one minnows?

• Toonces

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM

I live in Florida and saw the US National play here a couple years ago and Yedlin was on the pitch. As mentioned Yedlin is very fast and it stands out. Other than that I have only seen him on TV. IIRC during the first game away to Sunderland last season, Mitro had a great chance inside the 18 yard box against the Mackems. He faked his shot as a Scum defender dove past trying to block the shot. That was Yedlin. Mitro held up, watched Yedlin slide by and then of course promptly fired right into the keeper’s chest. But in the couple other games that I saw on tv, Yedlin does have a penchant to leave his feet and slide. I think he did this less towards the end of the season. Maybe Allardyce’s influence and I expect Rafa can help coach him to play at his strengths.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Yedlin got 1 assist for Dunderland.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM

So if yedlin is crap, does that mean rafa is so-so in transfer work? Ie sels,clark, yedlin, hanly. Id say yedlin will be fine.same too hanly. Diame and hayden will be brill. Diame is a beast.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM

pray tell!

• mad-serb

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM

GeordieTwo

You must be feeling a bit better now mate, you seem have calmed down a bit. Any chance that Gamez is playing tonight changed that mood 🙂

• Rafa Revolution

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Yedlin is a decent player

G2 Predictive text mate lol

• NUFCmagpie

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM

I don’t post on here at all but I’m from Seattle and have watched Yedlin play since he first appeared for the Sounders. Moving to Spurs from Seattle was a mistake for him and many people here guessed correctly that it wouldn’t work out. I think spending a year in the Championship will teach him a great deal and help him become better. I’m admittedly biased but I think this is a fantastic signing. Rafa can get the best out of him

• WWSBRD

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:13 PM

NUFCmagpie
    Hope so mate, I remember hoping we’d sign him instead of Spurs yet now I am not fussed by his signing…how times change eh haha

• GeordieTwo

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Aye, I’ve calmed down a bit now mad-serb mate. I’m waiting to see what Gamez produces on the pitch though. This should be simple stuff for him against this type of opposition. I would expect his class to stand out. This lineup should take care of Cheltenham easily but I’ve been fooled before.