The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

So Who Is Alan Judge – Newcastle’s Next Signing?

12:22 pm, Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

There are multiple reports that Brentford midfielder Alan Judge is on his way to Newcastle to take a medical today and sign on for Newcastle, and one of the sources is the Chronicle.

Alan is 27 years old but suffered a double leg fracture in April playing against Ipswich Town and he is not expected to be fit to play until November, so it seems like an odd signing – at least in that way.

alan judge

Alan Judge – 27 year-old Brentford midfielder

The once capped Irish International is in the last year of contract at Brentford and it looks like Newcastle will get a very good deal on him.

Alan had a great season last term with 14 goals and 12 assists in 38 total appearances for Brentford – and he was also named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year in April.

So there’s a decent reason to sign him – and the Brentford fans are saying he’s a very creative player, which is what we need.

So he will be a good buy for us financially and has lots of experience in the Championship and Rafa must think he cans take the step up to the Premier League – should we be promoted next May.

He joined Brentford on loan from Blackburn Rovers in January, 2014 and finally signed for them full time that summer.

He started his career at Blackburn and then left for a couple of years to Notts County before returning to the Lancashire club in 2013, where he only stayed for six months before joining Brentford on loan.

Alan stands just short of 5ft 7ins and in his two and a half years at the Bees he’s played 102 games with 24 goals and 31 assists.

While he was at Notts County for two years and got used to playing in black and white stripes, he played 111 games with  17 goals and  27 assists.

So Alan seems to be a productive player.

Judge was born in Dublin and played for all the Ireland Youth sides, but has been capped only once at the full International level.

Judge made his full International debut with a start in a friendly against Switzerland in March of this year and played the full 90 minutes in the 1–0 win.

He was almost a certainty to make the full Ireland squad for the Euro 2106 tournament, before he suffered his terrible double fracture of his right leg at Portman Road.

I was taking my dog Milo for his (very important) early morning hour walk, when my son Neil texted me that we were signing Alan Judge and my first question was – who is he?

Now I know it looks like Alan could turn out to be another good signing for us, but it’s just a pity he’s not available to play until November – and even more reason to keep Yoan Gouffran at the club.

Here’s a tweet he sent out last Tuesday after another operation on that right leg.

Here’s Judge’s goals for Brentford.

What do you think?

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Here comes the Judge….

• 2 Belfast // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Good signing when fit. I think Burnley offered 8-9 million for him last season.

• 3 scout // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Who can I speak to at the club about a non league player I know is worth a look?

• 4 stuart no9 // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM

And he had a bad knee injury in 2015 where he missed a quarter of the season . Mmmm ??? Judge by name judge by nature , he’ll defo be getting judged when he does eventually plays .?until then , who do we use as a creative playmaker ??

• 5 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM

back to yedlin,
    hes solid going forward, tons of pace which he uses to recover for defensive lapse. BTW, i think hes played lb for US.

• 6 Ron Knee // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Any relation to Judge Judge, I wonder?

• 7 Ian Toon // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Belfast – You would know him as the Irish Messi.

• 8 stuart no9 // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Scout — I got my son a trial when I wrote a letter to the then academy coach , I forgot his name now he’s gone , but Peter Beardsley was there as well and he took him under his wing . He was there 2 weeks but just not good enough , he was playing in the same side as sammy at the time who was super fit . My lad couldn’t live with him , or the others but it did give him an insight into how difficult it is at these academies . So I would send s letter in mate . It worked for me

• 9 JP...from The Rock // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I’ll take Judge and Yelin. Both pacy and solid players. Worried about our lack of Striker targets though.

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM

I think this is the signing we’ve all been waiting for. Just like Saivet was in Jamuary. Lee Charnley, go you good thing!

• 11 geordie157 // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM

fee for Judge should be quite low as he’s out of contract next summer, talk of 3-4mill for him.

I’m still hoping for a shock double swoop for Assombalonga and Oliver Burke from Forest, those two plus judge and we’d have our wingers and strikers sorted with just left back and maybe another cm to come in if both tiote and sissoko follow saivet and de jong out the door.

So in

• 12 WWSBRD // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:42 PM

This could be a great signing hes worked his way up and done very well at the clubs hes been too

Injury aside I think he will be a hit at NUFC

• 13 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Assombalonga would be great for the Toon wish we would go out and sign him!!

• 14 cyprus // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM

I’m assuming that’s just a clever name or you wouldn’t be asking. I would have said, climb the leagues step by step and if he’s that good he’ll be seen by a scout or agent soon enough.

But I was intrigued if anyone else asked this and of course, yes.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Judge him after ten games boom boom.
    I’ll get me Coat!

• 16 DubaiMicky // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM

So we’re allegedly buying a guy who still has a double break in his leg and won’t be back until November/December? Really? If we are, has Rafa lost his mind?

• 17 Belfast // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Not really a fan of James McCarthy to be honest. He would be an upgrade on Colback but the same people who complain about Colback will complain about McCarthy.

We should be looking at a creative player if anyone for that position.

• 18 nut meg // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Judge missed 9 games with a knee injury in season 14/15.
    So far this season he’s missed 11 games with a double break.That’s his full injury history on Transfer market.Collo probably missed just as many games as Judge did (14/15) with his so called injury while warming down and he didn’t even play (15/16!

• 19 JamesToon // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Chronicle saying the fee between £2-3million, hardly a gamble at all really for statistically one of the most creative players in this league…

• 20 JamesToon // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Do we really need Yedlin? We already have Anita/Sterry/Gamez?

• 21 Our Toon // Aug 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Brit Assambolonga went off injured at the weekend, the worry with buying players that have had a long layoff is that they tend to break down a lot more other injuries

• 22 Belfast // Aug 23, 2016 at 1:00 PM

The 27-year-old had the screws taken out of his leg on August 15 and will be stepping up his recovery, with October believed to be the earliest he could make a return.

That’s from Brentfords local paper.

• 23 SPRINGY // Aug 23, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Think assombolonga(or however you spell it) is injured,he went off after 15mins the other day…. hamstring,i think.

• 24 bettyswallocks // Aug 23, 2016 at 1:06 PM

I’m absolutely convinced that Carr hasn’t the same influence on transfers since Rafa arrived and can’t imagine Rafa being told which players he has to accept. Rafa just wouldn’t work under those confines and that was established before he signed up .Having said that if we had bought some of Carr’s suggested players (Aubameyang and Deli Ali spring to mind) as oppose to scratting around in the bargain bin then we maybe wouldn’t be in the Championship now. Then again we
    probably wouldn’t have acquired Rafa so maybe it was fate.

Ashley has finally realised that he needs a competent manager at the helm trusted with the authority to make decisions. There is a complete on going transformation happening for the better at our club and where it takes us is the cause for hope and positive optimism.

It’s definitely not more of the same and onwards and upwards lads for the nitwits in Wonga tops as was scornfully suggested yesterday evening. Why pour cold water on something that is finally moving in a more promising direction?

There has been a complete res

• 25 scout // Aug 23, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Thanks Cyprus, there are a hell of a lot of non league games that aren’t even attended by scouts. I have two players who would cut it in the Championship.

• 26 lochinvar // Aug 23, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Phew, I thought for one moment we were getting Judge Rinder but I see he’s signed for the BBC instead

previous post: Newcastle Interested In Scottish International Defender

next post: Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare Against Cheltenham Town?