The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ayoze Perez Talks About That Magic Bandage

9:18 am, Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Ayoze Perez scored two goals last night and then missed a wonderful opportunity to get his hat trick in the second half when he was straight through on goal but hit the ball over the bar when it looked much easier to score.

But the Spanish U-21 International will take the two goals to get off the mark this season.

ayoze perez yesAlan Shearer Blood

Ayoze Perez and Alan Shearer wearing that magic bandage

Ayoze got a knee in the ear just before he scored after 44 minutes.

Perez had to go off the pitch for treatment and when he came back on he was wearing that magic bandage.

That allowed him the score almost immediately and then score again two minutes into the second half to give Newcastle a comfortable 2-0 win, but we missed several chances in the final 45 minutes to make the score even more emphatic.

We’ll have to do better with our finishing against Chris Hughton’s Brighton & Hove Albion side on Saturday if we are the make it four wins in a row before the two week International break.

This is what Ayoze said to the BBC after the game:

“It’s a strange one.” “But I have to say it’s painful.” “The defender caught me with his knee. It’s painful, but I am happy with the game.

“We can now focus on the Brighton game and try to win it.”  “It was a tough game and we knew we had to be focused.”

“But thank God we are through to the next round.” “I am happy to score twice.” “We had some injuries but the gaffer looked after us.”

“Now we have time to recover and make sure we are ready for the next game.”

“I might wear it every game because it gave me some luck.”

“I am just really happy to be on the score sheet and we are in the next round.”

It was great team work from Dwight Gayle early in the second half when the striker was straight through on goal after one of the Cheltenham defenders has kindly passed the ball to him.

But rather than shoot and maybe get his 5th goal of the season, he unselfishly gave the ball off to Ayoze on his left for what was a certain goal, as Perez tapped the ball in.

Good work by Dwight.

We show the picture above of Alan Shearer wearing a bloody bandage when he scored against Sunderland.

He had picked up the head injury against Dinamo Kiev in a previous game and had to wear the bandage in the next few games.

We need to wait and see if Ayoze wears the head bandage again Brighton on Saturday.

Come to think of it we need some magic in that game.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Cheltenham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: EFL · EFL Cup · Injuries · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Aye he got bundled by two defenders and got a knee as he went down. It looked like a scene from the Somme at one point.

Attendance – just over 24,000.
    Golden scoring chances missed – Shelvey, Diame, Perez. Possibly another.

• 2 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:26 AM

I thought Cockleback was great !

• 3 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Unless of course I misheard the attendance but it definitely sounded like 24,000 and whatever hundred. Anyways no matter it sounded like more from our end ha ha.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Surely that is a pic of Al on the day he RECIEVED the injury, not the game after. The blood is a clue!

• 5 outside the box // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:29 AM

strange game last night …could and should have scored a lot more ….injuries were not from dangerous play and accidental …my main conclusions apart from those already mentioned were that shelvey put a shift in ..perez is getting better …diamme is going to be a big player this season ..and ,hanley (who looked slimmer) and jesus will be able to slot into first team

• 6 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:31 AM

94Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 8:57 AM

“The Cabal” You know who you are!! – Its never a good idea to play the man and not the ball.

Rotonda- I sometimes wonder whether your in a football time warp. Scouts are not invading Dutch football it’s not special . I watched PSV on tv on Sunday and was not impressed by the overall standard on display individually and collectively. No wonder the best managers and players speak so scathingly of the slow decline. We were looking for an alternative to the French market but it should not have been the Dutch. Anita was going to be our Fitz Hall one size fits all – geddit! He was an expensive flop for me and another Carr mistake; being unsuited on physicality grounds in the PL. c But under Benitez he seems to have had a good pre season and I keep an open mind going forward. Janmaat I am sure will play a lot better in a better team but I am not overly sorry to see him move on given the incoming replacements.

• 7 giimps // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:32 AM

To be fair to Ayoze, Mitrovic and Gayle, the reason they got injured is because they wanted it and put their heads in to win the ball even knowing they could get clattered.
    That is as important as ability, but when you have both as they all seem to have it bodes well for the future.
    Gayle passing to Perez is something neither Cisse or Ba ever did ,long may this continue, get rid of the ones who don’t want to be here and Mold the players who are left into an unstoppable machine…..tight at the back, allowing the flair to do their stuff up front and from midfield.
    I stil think we need more creativity from Cm and another Lw ,if we get yedlin and the casablancan lb we should be sorted , we may have to wait till January for a striker though

• 8 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Agreed Hanley had a decent game towered at the back and put in decent tackles. Gamez looked comfortable, would have been worried if he didn’t. Forgot about Anitas header! No idea how that stayed out!

• 9 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Jib – I didn’t watch the game. How did Colback play?

• 10 Mickey G // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Shearer looks like he is on a battlefield, Perez looks like he is at a disco

• 11 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Cockleback was steady away
    Nowt flash – but he does the mundane , needed stuff well , breaking up the oppo’s play.

• 12 cyprus // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM

With Jesus on our side we’ll go up

• 13 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM

• 14 outside the box // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM

ian toon @9….
    colback had his usual effective game in central midfield did his best work on left side …looked lost when straying over to right ..imho…overshadowed by shelvey

• 15 Whumpie // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Any news on injuries? Mitro and Gayle I assume are concussions – but aarons?

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Wondering who else says tell ya, or catch ya, didn’t take long mind.
    Pat On The Heed // Aug 24, 2016 at 2:14 AM
    Strange and inverted sense of loyalty on this blog, I tells ya.
    Ian Toon // Sep 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    bladeuser -Relax I’m here.
    Catch ya on the flipside

• 17 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Jail – Just stop I was on a night shift . I rarely post at night but had missed our game.
    If you start your games I just won’t post- Troy Stavers beckons!

I am off to bed do your worst.

• 18 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 9:56 AM

I don’t think I have ever said tell ya?

previous post: Newcastle 2 Cheltenham 0 – Video Highlights