The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Klinsmann Cool About Big Improvement In DeAndre Yedlin

10:34 am, Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 111 Comments

We remember during the World Cup in Brazil a couple of years ago when US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann introduced a 21 year-old Settle native DeAndre Yedlin at right back.

It was Yedlin’s debut for the US and he proceeded to bomb down the right wing and looked full of potential in that World Cup and he was snapped up by Tottenham after the tournament.

deandre yedlin

DeAndre Yedlin – US full back

Yedlin – much like Daryl Janmaat who he will replace at Newcastle – was very good at the attacking side of right back – but not so good at defending.

That changed this year when Yedlin was on loan at Sunderland but big Sam Allardyce hadn’t used him much because Sam likes it tight at the back and Yedlin was a poor defender.

But Sam brought Yedlin back into the side in February and the 23 year-old American stayed in the team and helped save Sunderland from relegation.

Yedlin also learned an awful lot under the new England manager about what defending is all about.

So Newcastle snapping up the youngster with great potential was an excellent move by Rafa Benitez, who can now follow on from Allardyce and make DeAndre inot an even better player at Newcastle.

That’s the hope in any case.

Jurgen Klinsmann has been pleased with Yedlin’s development and improvement over the last two years in which the 23 year-old former Seattle Sounders player has picked up 39 caps for the US National side.

This is what the former great German striker has said recently about the 23 year-old defender, who played extremely well for the US in last summer’s Copa America when the US were beaten 4-0 by Argentina in the semi-finals:

“It’s pretty cool to see DeAndre’s path over the last two years, especially since he broke through at the World Cup in Brazil,”

“He’s becoming more mature, he’s become even stronger, more confident, and also on the tactical side of the game he’s learned a lot.”

“He now knows how to read the game better, especially behind him when he’s going forward.”  “He reads forwards better in one-on-one situations, so his learning curve his huge.”

“Hopefully he continues that path and has a good solution after his Copa America.”

We’re sure Klinsmann will be happy enough that DeAndre will now be coached by the great Rafa Benitez, who will hopefully improve his defensive play even more – and could even use him as a right winger when needed.

Yedlin is a young lad who is keen to improve his game and we should hear from him when he gets introduced as a Newcastle player – maybe even later today.

He is a top young professional, down to earth, sensible and very ambitious and extremely keen to improve as a footballer.

He must be delighted to be joining Newcastle and Rafa Benitez and who knows how good this lad can become over the next couple of years.

But the US and Newcastle United could both benefit greatly.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

111 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM

A bit of Jibbery-Pokery for you 🙂

That American football of course, but that’s probably the concern. Given the Jeff Astle case a few years back I think the powers that be are recognising that concussion, along with the repetitive blows from heading the ball, the odd elbow etc, might be a ticking time bomb.

• 2 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Didn’t perez have his boots changed in the game? Unless the curse of Pardews Phantom Lawnmower has returned for it’s revenge?

• 3 Mr Funk // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Here are my suggestions for possible transfers:

Lazaar – £2.5m – LB/LM

Judge – £2.5m – LM/AMC

Ziyech – £13m – AMC

Crouch – £3m – ST

• 4 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Help, please…

My laptop’s a windows 10 machine and uses IE 11. I’ve had Adblock on it for a while and after the most recent Windrows update, ads have started to pop up again.

Does anyone know of a free, safe ad blocker that might kill these ads?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 Ron Knee // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM

lesh

I had the same problem. Firebug recommended uBlock Origin, which I’ve been using for a while. So far so good!

• 6 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Ron

As far as you know, does Ublock Origin work with IE 11?

• 7 giimps // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Lesh,
    Can’t you just reinstall the adblocker to reinstate the permissions ?
    You may need to uninstall it first.

• 8 funlovingexpress // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Tsunki its a lot of fuss over nowt as far as I am concerned.

Did you ever head one of the old casers in snow? If your timing was out you would feel dizzy.

Even way way back at school level, Every time my school team played someone would be knocked out or bang their heads.

That was at school, it happens every week to thousands of schoolkids.

Non league is even worse and so is the third and second divisions.

Trust me, its a lot more dangerous to work down the pit

• 9 Ron Knee // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Sorry, lesh. No idea!

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM

So we release Janmaat for a paltry £7.5mill (given his CV) and sign this nobody for £5mill? Have I missed something? Is he with Mondial? Rafa seems to have bought into the “profit outweighs all” model of Ashley and Charnley with great enthusiasm. Must be getting a decent wedge out of it.

• 11 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:01 AM

It’s looking like the Spurs blogger who said it was Yedlin and Nabil Bentaleb plus cash for Moussa Sissoko was on the money.

• 12 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Ron

Thanks for the tip – I’ll have a look at it.

• 13 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Jib

• 14 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Jib

How’d you work that out?

• 15 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Giimps

I reinstalled Adblock and ads are popping up. You mentioned permissions – help me understand ‘permissions’, please

• 16 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Just been catching up on the posts of the half dozen or so who were at the game. They have better words to say about it than I do.

The first half was dreadful. The League 2 side dominated easily. It was the goal just before half time that knocked their wick in.

The only players to come out with credit for me were Lascelles, Hanley, Anita and Gayle.

Diame strolls around, popping into the game now and then, poor first touch, little impetus, occassional piece of good skill which appears to be enough to impress some people.

Shelvey drops back to take the ball off the toes of the CBs. Presumably, that’s because he’s not under any pressure there. He can sweep an easy ball to the full back because there’s no way our CBs can do that.

Aarons cannot beat his man. A winger that can’t beat his man is a waste of a shirt. At least when he’s out injured he’s not taking a shirt.

• 17 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM

TOF
    Rafa would appear to have achieved slightly over the odds for Janmaat

He would appear to be joining a not very happy band of brothers.
    Headline
    Watford manager Walter Mazzari slammed the complacent attitude of his players after their exit from the EFL cup.

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:12 AM

The bully Mitro was once again easily bullied and knocked about. The more weight he loses, the more that will happen.

• 19 magscar // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Lesh

Could try using Firefox instead of IE as Ublock works fine with that

• 20 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Lesh

• 21 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM

jib@17 – allow me to get a bit hypothetical. If you took every decent manager in Europe and asked him if he’d rather have Janmaat for £7.5 mill or this Yedlin bloke for £5.0 mill what do you reckon the result would be?

• 22 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Its amazing how long it takes for a team to ‘prepare’ to bid for a player. Spurs et al who are ‘preparing’ their bids for Sissoko must be raiding their piggy banks….odd they’d need to considering the riches these teams have

• 23 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Blackley @18 – Didn’t see the game so maybe I shouldn’t comment at this point, but I think your opinion of Mitrovic in general is a crock mate. One of the few worthwhile players in this squad which is mostly rubbish.

• 24 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:24 AM

7.5 mill for Janamtt is very disappointing imo

• 25 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM

TOF
    We have a decent (with the cups to prove it) European manager – and he prefers Yedlin

• 26 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Yedlin and Janmaat are similar players very similar in that they both are better at attacking than defending!

Janmaat is possibly a little better in terms of experience as he is 4 years older but Yedlin is RAPID! He wont be getting skinned by pacy wingers as he will most likely be faster or just as fast !

His end product is similar to Janmaat as well him and Richie will link up well I feel

The left hand side is more of a worry especially against Brighton this weekend!

• 27 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Jib
    No proof he prefers Yedlin as we dont know the reasons he will willing to let Janmatt go

• 28 Budge123 // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM

This blog does amuse me.
    Jammat is dog water bad according to most and now it seems 7.5m is too little for him?

• 29 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Very noticeable that Mrs Blackhouse doesn’t mention the kid with a brace of goals.
    You can just see him at SJP screaming at Perez what a crock he is then looking a total tool in front of his mates after 90 minutes.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:30 AM

ToF,
    Let’s get hypothetical, if said player had approached every top manager in Europe and said he really doesn’t want to be here anymore and said player was a sulky wall punching tw@t who had himself deliberately sent off in games against Leicester and Swansea when we really needed him, then maybe said top European managers would say to him good riddance cheese face.

• 31 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Brackley it was apparent Diame was a yard off pace and slowly began to take charge of the ball after being knocked about for a half. But the skills seemed to be there if slowly emerging. You could tell he is better than he looks atm. The reason the goal knocked their stuffing out was because they had only a couple of shots on goal all game and quite a few skewed and skyed ones, once ours went in it was game over they had nothing, nor should a side bottom of league two.

I wouldn’t give anyone glowing praise for last night but it was a good run out for a cobbled team, a bruising ordeal for some admittedly.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Krul off to Ajax then, interesting.

• 33 martoon // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I didn’t see the game either but considering Mitrovic hasn’t played a serious game since the Spurs game it seems a bit harsh to be criticise him for not being on his game. He is bound to be ‘ring rusty’ – personally I think he is exactly what we need for games in the Championship.

• 34 PUMMELLER // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Why is Janmatt worth more than 7.5m??
    He is a sh1te defender and has no end product going forward.
    He also has a terrible attitude.
    He impressed me for about 10 games when he joined.
    When our backs were to the wall he was up there with Sissoko for worst player.
    Good riddance in my opinion

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:36 AM

martoon,
    I think we have missed him, hopefully he can curb his lunacy.

• 36 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Cheers Magscar. I might just use Firefox.

• 37 PUMMELLER // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Some of you guys cannot watch our games if you think Janmatt is worth keeping, he has no heart and doesn’t want to be here. Anita is a better right back, solely because the guy works hard and has the right attitude. Not sure if Yedlin is the answer to be honest but he is young, hungry and wanting to play.

• 38 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:45 AM

PUMM
    I watch our games and I disagree

• 39 bettyswallocks // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM

TOF @10…………. What a complete load of bollox. Another Cynical conspiracy theory to add to your others showing what a complete tit you are.

• 40 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Jib@25 and elsewhere and others. Obviously the club (and their employee Benitez) prefer Yedlin, for reasons which may not all be clearly apparent and/or purely football related. I simply state that Janmaat on the face of it is underpriced given what we appear to have paid for an inferior (by record) replacement, and it continues what I perceive to be poor management of our squad by anything other than financial parameters during this window.

• 41 magscar // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Lesh

You’re welcome. I prefer Firefox to any of IE versions although Windows 10 IE (Edge?) is supposed to be better than others. I have Windows 10 on another computer but still use Firefox partly because of ease of addons.

• 42 lordy_geordie // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Appears Krul dont want to leave Newcastle. He will sign a 1year extension to his contract then go on loan to ajax. Krul gets best of both. Stays a toon player and gets top flight football

• 43 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM

pummeller

spot on re -janmatt. don’t get why some rate him so highly. other than a wonderful set up for wijni at home v west ham, his final ball is usually dire.
    fair enough i’m not yedlin’s biggest fan either and if we have anita, gamez, sterry and until recently mbabu, all covering that position, it’s a strange one. however, i am not a cl winning manager.

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM

ToF,
    Do you honestly believe that a man driven by success and already a multi millionaire would throw his lot in with Mike Ashley to make a few extra quid while telling the fans how much he was taken in by the people and city, seriously?

• 45 giimps // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Lesh,
    Reinstalling the ad blocker would work if the update of ie11 had rewritten the permissions ad blocker has when trying to close down dodgy popups.
    Every program has to be given permissions to do what it needs to operate eg iTunes needs permissions to read a cd, adblocker needs permissions from the operating system to enable it to stop pop ups from opening.
    If ie11 has rewritten the permissions and a reinstall don’t work, have a look at the support pages for ad blocker, there will probably be others with the same issues and possibly a solution ,maybe a fix from ad blocker for it ……if not use chrome or Firefox they’re both better than Ie11 imho……hope this helps

• 46 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:59 AM

jib

has bentaleb not gone to shalke, thus sabotaging any potential swap.

• 47 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM

bettyswallocks – I’m happy to take your criticism of my opinion on the chin. Doesn’t mean I’ll resile from my point of view, and yes, I freely admit to being cynical. The Ashley regime has made me fiercely cynical, and bitter, and twisted, and I don’t expect to change in a hurry. I loathe Ashley and his minions, Charnley and Carr in particular, and Benitez is looking like just another yes-man. So, that’s what I think, and if you don’t agree, fair enough, but I’m sticking to my guns and having my say.

• 48 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Lesh – I confess to sticking with Chrome , mostly because I’m familiar with it, Firefox is fine, but I wouldn’t touch MS browsers with a bargepole because their overhead easily rises, and as for Edge I don’t even like the way it looks at me ha ha. A sensible popup-proofing tutorial for chrome –

• 49 reilly // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM

i use chrome on my windows 10 intel nuc,i find it much better than firefox.
    but its users preference.

• 50 magscar // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM

TOF@40

From what I recall of press reports we were after more than £7.5M or Janmatt but it seems like he has had to settle for Watford (obviously wants away) we also have had to settle for less? Spurs always charge at high end for players and get away with it mostly.

Our transfer activity is as always and as for other clubs governed by finances ( including what we will perhaps need for Jan window. I believe it is Rafa calling shots though.

He is working in the real world though where attracting wanted players to a lower division ( in NE) isn’t easy. It isn’t always about the money offered but player preferences.

Not overwhelmed by our activity but it has been realistic and I am impressed with Ritchie Gayle and Diame and possibly Hayden and others are OK for this level.

Yedlin at this level should be no worse than Janmatt and maybe can be coached to be a better defender as apparently Alladyce was working on last season to some effect.

Still want that striker, winger and LB and possibly attacking midfielder and I trust Rafa is working on these but it all by about the art of the possible for us even with Rafa here.

• 51 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I sympathise with ToF’s view, he’s entitled to be cynical, this is Ashleys NUFC after all. But I’d be surprised if Benitez has bought into what has demonstrably been shown to be a failed model. If he’s in the process of being hoodwinked though, that’s another matter.

• 52 bettyswallocks // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:10 PM

TOF………… If you genuinely believe that Rafa has been converted from a successful, well respected manager who has managed some of the top clubs in football with numerous trophies to show for it, into a tacky little yes man and an Ashley minion , then I would suggest you are at best deluded and at worst ; Its best I don’t say.

• 53 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Saivet has gone back to France…we are getting rather light on numbers

• 54 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:12 PM

over rated

Way to make yourself popular, pick up on people’s grammar and call benitez a yes man.
    The word d..k comes to mind.

• 55 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Benitez a yes man haha well ok then

• 56 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM

I don’t think he will be a number we will miss though Yo

• 57 giimps // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:16 PM

If Rafa is being hoodwinked, he won’t be here long, he won’t just accept the blorrocks that previous managers have as he don’t need this job, I believe he wants it and thinks of it as his project, the player sales are because they want away, not because he thinks that they aren’t good enough, he wants players with the mentality he has ,he wants players who will run through walls to play and do well for the club and for him, not players who punch walls so they don’t have to play.
    You can be the best player in the world but if you don’t want to play and don’t want to be in the team, your better off being replaced by younger hungrier quicker players who have the desire to play and do well for a great manager, fantastic club and long term project. IMHO

• 58 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:16 PM

yes men don’t generally find time to overhaul training facilities, youth academy, physio dept and arrange loans / sales for all of carr’s failures and sick notes.

• 59 expatmag // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Well…..I hope all this activity in the transfer market isnt going to leave us short handed.

So far, Taylor Coloccini Obertan Marveaux Cabella Cisse Janmaat Townsend Thauvin Dejong Mbabu have all gone.10 players already out.

E xpect to see Sissoko Tiote Saviet Krul Riviere Armstrong sold or loaned out

• 60 magscar // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Tsunki@51

You are right that there are many so badly affected by Ashley that they cannot conceive that finally we could just be getting some things right. I don’t blame them and some will never buy into the club again whilst he remains. It is all personal choice.

For me it seems after protracted and involved negotiations Rafa got what he wanted. Could be in process of being hoodwinked but he seems too sharp for that to be happening for long.

This window is one test and he is still here. If he doesn’t get what he perceives as necessary on Football side then I doubt he will hang around for long. Ashley presumably knows that as well.

• 61 expatmag // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM

E xpect to see Sissoko Tiote Saviet Krul Riviere Armstrong sold or loaned out.

Thats 16 players out and if you consider the likes of Ameobi Vukic and Bigi arent required by Rafa, even with the signings we have made, we look decidedly under strength.

• 62 bettyswallocks // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:20 PM

I don’t think Rafa is gullible or naieve enough to be hoodwinked by Charnley and Carr. He’s probably forgotten more than they’ll ever know about running a football club.

• 63 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Jail. That’s a good question. Of course Benitez doesn’t “need” the money in the most literal sense. But he is a driven individual who is most likely, in my experience of those types, to pursue financial reward as a personal success benchmark. So yeah, I think he’s in it for the money as much as the glory and his connection with the fans. So he really hasn’t rocked the boat when you analyse it. He’s been a model employee.

• 64 hibbitt // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

got to disagree with your assessment of Diame’s game last night by far the best game he’s had for us looked a lot stronger and fitter was always available and ready to run into space
    my MoM

• 65 expatmag // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Current Squad

Darlow Sels Elliott Woodman

Yedlin Sterry Gamez Lascelles Mbemba Clark Hanley Dummett Haidara

Ritchie Anita Diame Shelvey Colback Hayden Aarons Perez Judge? Gouffran

Mitrovic Gayle

If the likes of Sissoko Tiote Saviet Riviere leave as well as the lijes of Krul Armstrong etc go out on loan, we are still weak across most areas of ghe team.

• 66 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:25 PM

I think it might be important at this point to say that there is a big difference from being a “yes man” and “not rocking the boat”

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Jib
    I commented on Perez last night on here. He was awful until he miscontrolled it, which led to the bump on his head. Then he got the goal and improved. He still contrived to miss a sitter, which is typical of him.

• 68 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:28 PM

ycmiu

not saying the 2 aren’t mutually exclusive but do you honestly see rafa as one ”not to rock the boat” we need him far more than he does us.

• 69 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Magscar it certainly seems that way. But for the more cynically inclined (admittedly I still view the internal dealings of Ashley through slitted eyes) we observe that Carr and Charnley are still at the helm, we have so far remained in the black on transfer dealings whilst ostensibly ‘dumbed diwn’ the skill level for the Championship, considerably reduced the wage bill, not only by replacing the big wage earners but getting some loan deals done where wage contributions also help, and the feelgood factor of Benitez in charge and lowered ST’s has put bums on seats. So there’s no relaxation of the financial remit so far.

The less than gullible might also feel that there is a plan B should the Benitez effect wane or he simply walks after a couple of unsatisfying windows and a low league position, seeing as the same setup is still in place as under Mc Cardew. Time, as they say…..

• 70 bettyswallocks // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:30 PM

TOF…….. Now you are talking bollox again. To suggest that Rafa hasn’t already put his heart and soul into trying to reduild our club for the better and that he’s only here for money shows that you are just a very poor judge of character.

Our club will never succeed with people like you scornfully suggesting that someone like Rafa is disingenuous .

• 71 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Not sure why Rafa would rock the boat? Nothing to gain from it and he already has control over the club, he doesnt need to make enemies for the sake of making enemies and he has no reason to dislike his employers

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM

People saying I’m being harsh on Mitro. He was the same last night as he was last season. His weaknesses contributed to our relegation. It seems people big these players’ performances up and then make excuses for them by saying they’re rusty …and if … and when. Why can’t we just say they were shite and then make excuses if we really have to?

• 73 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Rotonda@58. Yeah, all well and good, and not a bad thing I’m sure. But window dressing rather than a U-turn in philosophy is my view. The Rafa-lution is a Rafa-reinforcement of Ashley’s Newcastle for me.

• 74 magscar // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Expat

I think Rafa has talked about a squad of 25 which he reckons he can use regularly (on rotation) and by my reckoning and discounting those still here but possibly to be sold or loaned he has around 22 in the numbered squad and probably more like Yedlin, Judge and anothers still to come.

It is though very much a balancing act and Rafa is perhaps erring on the side of just having enough to enable him to fully rely on all of his squad players throughout season with no long term bench warmers or even those not regularly in match day squads. We certainly don’t want to have likes of Marveaux simply making up the numbers.

Still hoping for more in and with January to correct as necessary.

• 75 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Rotonda

If the boat rocks at all, i would be more likely to point the finger at one of ashleys minions. But I certainly agree that Rafa won’t stand for anything like the sh1te that others have put up with.

• 76 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Not so much “Rock the Boat” as “Riding the Waves”? 😉

• 77 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:32 PM

surely our big problem has been ” housing” perma crocks or poor players. rafa is getting the vast majority of them out. i think it’s amazing that either by design or other factors, rafa has seen off

colo
    taylor
    marveaux
    obertan
    sdj
    etc etc…

• 78 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Betty
    I hate cynicism. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. So far, Rafa looks like the real deal in terms of solid, honest commitment.

• 79 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:33 PM

But in case anyone misunderstood…
    I am saying that, just because there is absence of boat rocking, it does not make raffa a yes man.

• 80 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM

B&B

absolutely, mitro doesn’t do it for me, no pace, no mobility. yes a decent touch but an awful lot needed to reach his full potential.

• 81 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Tsunki
    Charnley is a good pencil pusher and handles the financial side well by all accounts and Carr is a good scout, so why would Rafa push to have them removed?

• 82 stuart no9 // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:36 PM

If the guy (Yedhin ) is not that great defensively , then why use him in place of janmatt ? Im not saying not to buy him but if his qualities are on the wing , then use him as a winger or if the need be , a wing back , but to buy him as a replacement for jannmatt dosnt make sense if defending is not his game, or he could be an emergrncy full back if we have a thread bare squad at some point, but he wouldnt fill me full of confidence as a full back

• 83 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Hibbitt
    On Diame. Admittedly I had a poor view of the game being pitchside. I’ll give him plenty of time but I’m not encouraged so far.

• 84 stuart no9 // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM

* not saying we shoulnt have bought him *

• 85 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Having said that my current thought is that the dog is wagging the tail now and Rafa appear appear be shifting out the in dependable and the perrenially injured/benched in a merciless swathe of executions ha ha.

It appears to fit in with a plan of a capable squad which averages good in the championship, whichever team is selected from a reliable and ever-present squad list. Saying we are getting low in numbers is a mathematical observation, in reality, if we look at last seasons squad we could all rattle off about 8 players we know hardly ever have a run or even an appearance in the first team.

Hopefully Rafas intake will be made of sterner and less lazy stuff.

• 86 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Rotonda
    Players have to deliver. Potential only goes so far. We all see potential in them. But delivery is key.

• 87 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:40 PM

At least Charnley is being made to work for his wage this summer under Rafa’s whip cracking. All our activity puts to bed any notion that “these things are difficult and take time to get over the line”, as if NUFC is some special case where there is an administrative limit to what we can get done, that sits around 8 deals in/out.

Always wondered what he did day-to-day to earn his wage during some of the less productive windows.

• 88 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Ron Knee, giimps, magscar..

Managed to get Adnlock working – well, Microsoft support enabled it! Dugh. And it seems that Edge has an adblocking app built in – it would need to be set up with Rdge as default browser.

We live and learn. Again, thanks all.

• 89 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Yo, I never suggested they be removed, I agree they are what they are. I’m just noting they are still here, and would be still here if Rafa moved on.

• 90 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM

You’re not been harsh, Old Blackas, you’re just talking shite a mile a minute.

• 91 southeast magpie // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Seeing that there are now several clubs going after socks, I wonder if they will wait till the last day of the transfer window, and then get rejected by Rafa as its too late. Or is the plan to have his replacement in before hand and hope socks goes.

• 92 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM

* Rdge = Edge

• 93 hibbitt // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Blackley

by far his best game in a black and white shirt looked 100% fitter than his previous games
    i like the way he made himself available in my eyes a big improvement

• 94 WWSBRD // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Tsunki
    Ah right I misunderstood then mate. Ur right though they will be here if Rafa decided to leave but I dont see that as a bad thing, they offer an air of stability

• 95 bettyswallocks // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:46 PM

To run a tight ship on transfer policy and to try and achieve value in the market surely makes more sense than squandering our transfer budget and having nothing left to spend in January or next season when God willing we are back in the PL.

This season the object of the exercise is to put together a squad that can win us promotion. This is still a work in progress and as Rafa has suggested , the squad won’t be ready until all the comings and goings are finalised at the end of the window.

If the team is playing shite and not looking like achieving promotion by the end of the year then questions will have to be asked and criticism of the management will be expected. Hopefully we will have some funds left in the kitty to address the issues.

• 96 Jib // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:47 PM

It must be really boiling Moyes’ p*ss
    Rafa is buying players right and left and we are in the Cship
    Sunlun in the EPL – 2 in and 4 out !

• 97 Belfast // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Lordy
    Krul definitely wants to leave but Ajax are probably not that keen to pay a transfer fee for him at the moment due to his injury/fitness record. So he signs a 1 year extension and we get a fee for him in 12 months time providing he stays injury free during this loan spell.

• 98 BandB // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:48 PM

I’m certainly not cynical about the club’s operating policy.
    It hasn’t changed much and they haven’t claimed it has changed much. They can’t be blamed for that.
    All that matters is that we win games and keep winning them.
    And who know?
    Rafa and Ashley may have an agreed objective they are working towards that is “none of the above,” but an endgame that will come one day, because the club has already told us it will.

• 99 2_goal_tino // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM

I know we haven’t lost anyone we weren’t expecting to but is anyone a bit worried that this overhaul is just a bit too big?

– 8 arrivals (seemingly soon to be 10 with Yedlin and Judge)
    – 11 people already left + Janmaat and Krul’s imminent deals + presumably at some point Sissoko will have to leave + Doumbia’s loan ending but he isn’t really worth counting (so that’s 15 people having/will leave).

• 100 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM

ToF,
    According to Churnley, model employees don’t put obstacles in their (the board) way. Rafa sat down for weeks putting every obstacle he could think of in the way of their riduculous and failed policy in the hope of putting things right.

• 101 Belfast // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM

He would be signing a longer extension if he wanted to stay.

We do seem to be subsidising a lot of these departures. A lot of them are still on the wage bill.

• 102 Bobbybee // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM

To say Rafa is some sort of yes man, or bought into the Ashley conspiracy is ludicrous. It’s also an insult to his integrity. Where the hell does this notion come from? Thin air, is where. Ashley gave him full control of all footballing matters – end of. He’s building a squad he thinks will get us promoted. Gone is the under 25 policy for a start. Some of the players he’s brought in to do a job have zero sell on potential.
    As for last night, it was the most comfortable 2-0 you could imagine and could have/should have been more.
    The season has just begun. We haven’t played well yet, not as good as we will play, but we’re starting to win games. When the team clicks properly we’ll demolish some teams in this league. Looking for conspiracy theories with Ashley and qustioning the mans integrity is baseless and frankly, bordering on pathetic.

• 103 Pat On The Heed // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Jail has this one right. Nothing shouts ‘getting sent off on purpose’ like smashing your own hand through a wall and shattering a combination of metacarpal and proximal phalanges. The textbook coward act, if you ask me!

• 104 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM

lesh
    i use google chrome so dont know if it would help any but i use pop up blocker,ad blocker and ghostery,and been working a treat…sometimes loading video from a news page is blocked by ghostery but just turn it off,watch vid then turn it back on…seems to stop a hell of a lot of shite and laptop alot quicker and smoother scrolling and things.

• 105 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Just goes to show what a mess Carr and Charnley have made of this club over the last couple of years ! This overhaul of staff has been needed for ages if we had done it gradually over every window we would have been fine !

• 106 giimps // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM

We may be paying some of their wages but it’s better that they go and get pitch time somewhere else to get fitness if they’re leaving ,and get a fee from the loanee and some wages than keep them and not be able to play them enough to get them fit……apologies if that don’t make sense

• 107 BandB // Aug 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Jail @100

With respect, I don’t know a single person who would claim to know what you have just stated as a fact.

• 108 Pat On The Heed // Aug 24, 2016 at 1:00 PM

B&b I’m with you on Mitro. His missed chances were costing us points up until February. Cisse started – we didn’t lose. Even if Cisse had an average game – we didn’t lose. But people clamoured for Mitro to start again – and…we lost. It was like watching a car crash in slow mo. Benitez twigged thankfully. Not Mitro’s fault obviously, he wasn’t ready.

• 109 estechco // Aug 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM

lesh – Chrome together with Ghostery works very well for me. Ghostery is also a browser in its own right for Android which is another favourite of mine

• 110 mad-serb // Aug 24, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Afternoon Guys

Decent result and objective achieved which was getting in the 3rd round. Maybe not the best game but games rarely are and from what I have read they did not come here to play nice football, they tried to disrupt us and we took some time to get to terms with it and in the process lost 3 players to injury.

8 changes and some minutes for players needing them will always disrupt the flow of the game. I am just sorry Mitro did not get the minutes required to get his match sharpness up, which means if he is available he will probably come of the bench on Saturday.

On Mitro, I think its a bit harsh some of the comments flying around this morning. From What I read and not watching the game, it was more of the same for him. Never got one decent cross in the box. They bossed the game in the first half so to say he was unimpressive is taking it a bit far. I heard of one cross in the box the whole time he was on the field which he controlled well but was forced the wrong way and layed the ball of the Perez who did not make anything of it. That hardly a reason to criticize. I remember the first 2 games we had similar problems and people started complaining about Gayle. Still very early in the season and he have not had Ritchie and Mitro on the same pitch to supply the service4 he needs.

On the Yedlin discussion, anyone thinking that Rafa could use him as well on the wing with his pace especially away from home playing him infront of anita on the right and Ritchie on the left. He seems to be another that has some versatility to him which is what Rafa wants in his squad of 25. As for Janmaat he was looking for a move and from what I have heard the fee is closer to 10m which is a decent price. Its probably going to be a 7.5 with add ons like all transfer have these days bring it probably to around 10. So that a fair price.

Also saw some comments yesterday that Rafa wants rid of all the bad apples of last season which I believe Janmaat was one off so Rafa is more than happy to let him go. Anyone also thinks this Jedlin signing might allow Sterry to go out on loan as well for the first 6 months to get some more game time as he will probably not see to much time on the pitch.

• 111 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Springy, estechco

Thanks for your tips – ads are a bally nightmare 😐

previous post: Rafa Benitez Upset About Newcastle Winger