The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In Shock Move For Marseille Winger

10:46 pm, Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 50 Comments

French web-site Foot Mercato are reporting tonight that Newcastle are interested in taking Marseille’s 27 year-old attacking midfielder Romain Alessandrini to Tyneside.

Marseille, like Newcastle are still hoping to offload some players before September and it looks like the winger is one of those available.

Florian Thauvin left Newcastle recently for a season long loan at the French club with an obligation to buy, once Florian has played a given number of games.

romain alessandrini_video_actu

Romain Alessandrini – 27 year-old Marseille winger

The player started his career at his home town club Marseille and came through the Youth Academy there, but he then left for Gueugnon in 2008.

Romain found his way back to Marseille only two years ago from Rennes.

The report suggests that Newcastle will go up to around €5M (£4.3M) for the player – not much – which is what Marseille paid Rennes to bring him back to the south of France club two years ago.

His style of play is that he has considerable pace, is good at dribbling and can score goals from midfield.

We are a bit dubious of this report however, and wonder if Alessandrini is good enough or is physical enough of a player at 5ft 8ins tall to put up with the significant rigors of English football.

After all the last two French wingers to arrive on Tyneside – Remy Cabella (£8M) and Florian Thauvin (£13M) both failed miserably and we haven’t had too much success with French wingers over the last few years at Newcastle.

And both of those players are now at Marseille so they are above Alessandrini in the pecking order.

In his two seasons at Marseille he has played 57 games with 11 goals and 8 assists and while at Rennes for two seasons he made 60 appearance and scored 20 goals with 12 assists.

What do you think?

50 responses so far ↓

• 1 OneAlanShearer // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:50 PM

I’ve always been positive about signings. They deserve to show what they can do before being judged. I hope the lad is better suited to the game in this country. Powerful, pacey and accurate passer of the ball. Good luck to him if he joins.

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Hight is not the issue. Strength and build are more important. Not sure what the point of the whole cabella – thauvin – this guy is. Anyway. Goodnight peoples.

• 3 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM

All in all I’m very happy with the way things are going. We’ve started winning in the league, we’ve won our first cup match, we have a reasonable opponent coming up in Wolves and a nice challenge at home with Brighton. We’re getting the troublesome players out as well. Excellent work Rafa.

• 4 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM

As I’m slightly vertically challenged myself I won’t be too negative aboot Romain but how many 5’8″ players can we afford to have in the squad. Let’s stretch it oot to 5’10” or so shall we?

• 5 Thump // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Height isn’t the issue; strength, however…

• 6 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:58 PM

If you’re trying to picture me out there (and I know you are BandB mate) just picture an older, stockier version of Ricky Gervais with large rimmed glasses, beady eyes, wearing a nasty T shirt and shorts with open toed sandals and socks.

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 24, 2016 at 10:59 PM

There’s about 10 mins of highlights of Bristol v Newcastle on sky catch up. There’s few highlights.

• 8 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:01 PM

We’ve had some fine, short players at the club. Let’s not forget Hughie Gallacher was only 1m 65cm (5’4″ I think?).

• 9 Fostino // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:01 PM

This is a pile of shite of a rumour plucked from thin air. Where do they get these stories.

We need to go in hard with a big bid to get the Brighton winger. Get judge over the line. And put our full attention for an st/winger. I reckon the search for a lb will have to wait

• 10 cyprus // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:02 PM

33 percent scoring record at Rennes? That’s better than most our CFs.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Fear not Fostino mate. Rafa is always hard when he goes in. That’s a direct quote from him…..

• 12 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:11 PM

I’m not keen on Alllessandrini. I think this is only a rumour. Not enough there.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:13 PM

I’m not suave and debonair like Tsunki or Markaccus. Don’t tell them I said that. It’ll go to their heeds.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Well I’ve got an ointment application and steam bath coming up. Night to all.

• 15 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Can’t believe anyone would be happy with signing judge, he’s out until November and coming back from a long layoff off leads to more injuries…..chances are he won’t play more than 10 games this season….waste

• 16 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Carr still trying to line his pockets then?

• 17 lesh // Aug 24, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Geordie two

Rafa’s always what? Any more double entendre and Ed’ll take it out!

• 18 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:05 AM

how many times are we to be bent over a barrel by marseille,they have had good money off us for two players,loaned them back while we pay at least half there wage,then claim poverty and manage to do a deal to by back these players for less money then we paid for them a year earlier…..unreal!….take this lad on loan, like they do,if he’s any good do a deal involving thauvin.

• 19 Fostino // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM

Moral of the story is just never deal with the club again. Their players don’t suit us

• 20 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM

lesh did u sort ya ad blocker problem out?

• 21 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:07 AM

could be right there,mate.

• 22 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:12 AM

this has got to be a piss take…..i know you tube is’nt the best but if this best this lad has to offer its laughable…..have look..worst audition ever…

• 23 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:23 AM

in fairness,someone has clumped together every bad touch he seems to of ever had for that video….proper hater by the look of it…and has stitched him up good and proper like with that video though….coz he looks shocking!!!!lol

• 24 lesh // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Thanks for your follow up re Adblock. Yes and I hope it’s sorted. It needed to be enabled – I’m not the most IT savvy guy in the world!

• 25 lesh // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Geordie two

You’re obviously a master of style. What colour socks with your sandals? Black I hope (that’s my fashion statement – along with the knotted hanky and ex-army shorts circa 1942)

Eat yet heart out.

• 26 lesh // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:46 AM

* yet = yer

• 27 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 1:10 AM

glad you got it sorted,
    im not the most IT savvy (as you put it)myself,but had to learn how to do odds and sods when my nephew moved away,he used to sort it all for me!haha….u tube helped a lot with that tbh….still got a lot to learn though!!lol

• 28 expatmag // Aug 25, 2016 at 5:34 AM

If we are looking at wingers, look no further than Oliver Burke at Forest.

19 year old, quick tricky winger. Not afraid to take on full backs and scores goals as well as makes them. Just been called up to the full international scottish team. Available at 8 million but probably could be bought for 5.

I reckon in 5 years, this kids value will quadruple at least.

• 29 brklyngeordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 5:48 AM

I said the same thing after the first week of the season one look at Burke and thought wow..I actual proposed a straight swap for Sissoko this way we both win we get Burke and Sissy gets a dream club of his ; )

Seriously would go up to 10m for him no question definitely see him being big time star in near future and would be nice to have 2 Scotsman on the wing Ritchie and Burke maybe Ritchie can do a Cabaye and persuade a fellow countrymen to join the Rafalution

• 30 nut meg // Aug 25, 2016 at 6:00 AM

Springy @ 22
    Haha,i woke up to that about Romain Alessandrini so i got the video up on you tube.My thoughts are exactly the same as yours,somebody must really hate him to put that up as a ” come n’ get me” shout to the football world.

• 31 expatmag // Aug 25, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Yes. I watched the Forests first game of the season against Burton and thought he was outstanding.

I looked at the stats and he already has 3 goals and 3 assists this season so far

• 32 brklyngeordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 6:43 AM

Yea have seen him linked to a few Prem teams although 2 would be wasting his talents and that’s the Scum and Palace but Lvpl are the others, there is no doubt there are eyes on him the kid is only 19 and it’s obvious has star written all over him just needs right move next not somewhere he will rot

• 33 hibbitt // Aug 25, 2016 at 6:54 AM

another day another load of bollocks

• 34 MrShort88 // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:08 AM

Bakary Sako … Get him in!

• 35 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:10 AM

Islam Slimani Sporting Lisbon’s prolific Algerian striker put a transfer request in when a couple of PL clubs were sniffing earlier in the month.

It now looks like Tony Pulis is taking him to WBA for 30 million.

This means that Lisbon can now blow NUFC (who have already had bid rejected by Wolfsburg ) out of the water in their competition for Bas Dost’s signature.

• 36 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:32 AM

expat@28 and others. Agree about Burke. Could be the next big thing. Off to a top EPL team I reckon and I doubt for less than £10mill. Still raw, but I watched the Forest – Brighton game and he skinned their good CB (name escapes me) with ease a couple of times. Played for Scotland earlier this year I think, might have even come on for Ritchie actually.

• 37 lochinvar // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Why don’t we just takeover Mondial and then pick and choose at our Leisure – maybe have a panel of Cheryl (Cole as was ) , Ant/Dec, Gazza and John Carver. A fans phone in could decide on any tie break decision and Will Young could sing at the break when the adverts for Wonga and Sports Direct are shown.
    Just need a working title for the show , The Choice maybe .

Alternative might be to ensure that Rafa is picking the players he wants and needs, if this guy is one of then then fine.

• 38 geordie157 // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Agree on Oliver Burke, he’s who we should be after. I’d still get judge too, to give us some depth as Aarons is a sick note.

• 39 nut meg // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 AM

If you haven’t seen the video springy put up @ 22 I suggest you do, i doubt there’s any truth in the article…. he says with fingers crossed..

• 40 ToonMauritius // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Good morning Friends
    What the latest nufc news?

• 41 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:53 AM

geordie157- unrealistic to think about going for him I feel sure, unless we get the full quid for Sissoko and say to Forest here’s £15 million and we’ll take that lad. That’s the sort of move we should, and actually could make if we chose to, but we know it ain’t going to happen.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 7:54 AM

Burke is a right winger though. I’d definitely go after him based on the bits I’ve seen of him, but he would be direct competition for Ritchie, and we would still have a major hole on the left hand side to fill.

Burke and Ritchie on the right, Aarons and…… for the left. I imagine that we will only be after a left winger at this stage though.

• 43 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:06 AM

Depending on certain factors on Saturday, we may well approach Brighton again for AK whilst they’re visiting. I remember we did that with Big Dunc straight after we played Everton.

I wonder if we’d slightly overpay if we knew that a Sissoko deal was going to go through.

• 44 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:12 AM

Lilo – do we know Ritchie can’t play on the left? That’s a genuine question. He’s left-footed after all. He obviously prefers to play on the right to cut in and shoot and has been given that freedom by his an agree, but he might be just as effective on the left albeit in a different role if that’s where he’s played. Wingers routinely swap sides during games anyway, do they not?

• 45 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:14 AM

That should read “by his managers”

• 46 jimmysmith // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:22 AM

I don’t think Benitez will throw money around. I doubt he’d be allowed to if he wanted to. He’ll be thorough and prudent, as befits our situation. We are relegated and so every signing most likely will have to be seen to represent value for money if he wants continued backing from the owner over each of the windows he’s here. It’s a long road back, and unless there’s been a massive shift, the club will still have to pay its own way.

• 47 lochinvar // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:23 AM

nut meg @39
    had a look
    gone for a lie down

• 48 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Ritchie can play on the left, just like Anita can play on the right wing or Gayle can play on the wing.

But like the other two, it isn’t his best position and I think given how he has started for us it would be a bit foolish to move him away from his primary position. It would be good to have Burke as an alternative/competition/cover for him though on that right hand side.

You maybe have a better chance of trying Burke on the left, but again, I’d prefer an actual left winger to play in the left wing role.

• 49 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 25, 2016 at 8:35 AM

I think we could go in over the top anyway, even if the sissoko bid does not happen. We are about 7M in the black over this windows dealings (i think) so even a 15-17M bid puts us only 10M in the red (which is nowt in the transfer market). We should definitely test thier resolve.

• 50 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Since he has come to realise that Rolando Aarons is made of glass , Rafa has been sniffing around Europe for young left-sided players to take on loan.
    He missed out on Januzaj.
    However two he has enquired about – Dani Ceballos of Gus Poyet’s Betis and Vaclav Cerny of Jong Ajax still remain possibilities

previous post: Newcastle Get Wolves At Home In 3rd Round Of EFL Cup