The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Alan Judge May Not Be Joining Newcastle

3:33 pm, Thursday, August 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

We were linked with 27 year-old Brentford midfielder Alan Judge on Monday and according to reports he was on his way to Newcastle for a medical and ready to sign for us.

But we may have jumped the gun a bit, like we did with 20 year-old Everton left-back Brendan Galloway – who eventually joined West Brom on a season long loan –  rather than Newcastle.

alan judge

27 year-old Alan Judge – staying at Brentford?

There has been little news of Judge since earlier in the week and the once capped Ireland International is recovering from a double break of his right leg that he suffered against Ipswich last April.

Only last week he had an operation to remove the surgical pins keeping the bone together.

The Brentford manager Dean Smith has been interviewed today and he has said he doesn’t expect Judge to leave Brentford this month.

This is what Smith has said:

“I expect Alan Judge will still be a Brentford player on September 1,” 

“Alan’s injury is well-known to everyone, but there have been enquiries from a number of clubs.”

“With his injury at the moment, I don’t think anyone is going to take the plunge to take him.”

“He’s still our player and very much in our plans.”

“Let’s see where we are when the window opens again in January.”

We were hoping Newcastle would move quickly for Judge, but that doesn’t look to be the case and it seems there will be a battle to get him in January of the Magpies want him then.

That’s unless a pre-contract agreement has been signed for him by Newcastle.

Of course it’s always a risk to sign a player when he is recovering from a serious injury.

If Judge returns and plays well for Brentford before January, his transfer fee could go up – especially if he signs a new deal with the Bees, which we’re sure Brentford want that to happen.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target




27 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Ron Knee // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM

    “Moussa Sissoko has been named in the France squad for his country’s friendly game with Italy – but he is still sweating on a transfer from Newcastle United before the transfer window shuts.

    Sissoko had agreed on personal terms with Inter Milan but it now appears that the Serie A side are struggling to find the money for his transfer fee.

    With Inter also concerned about meeting Financial Fair Play obligations a switch to the San Siro is in serious doubt.”

  • 2 robertsleftfoot // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM

    I will be over the moon if Sissoko has to spend at least until Christmas in the championship !!!!

    Couldnt be happier

  • 3 lesh // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM

    Ron

    Looks as though Sissoko’s well and truly backed himself into a corner and might have no takers for his talent at £35m – a price he talked himself into.

  • 4 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM

    Having failed his medical on the technicality of not having the required complement of limbs…

  • 5 Ian Toon // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:38 PM

    Wicked sense of humour.

  • 6 Spoof // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:38 PM

    Tsunki

    What is the missing limb ?

  • 7 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:38 PM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxHr4ezhOMs

  • 8 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM

    Where Moussa may have made a mistake is not having a glossy brochure and dvd sent out to all his 135 Dream Clubs. He could have a QR code that links to his website, YouTube compilation videos, Twitter, Instagram, Moss Bros you know, all the stuff that impresses the hip groovy modern age youngsters…

  • 9 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:41 PM

    Spoof – I honestly think it’s Jib. Oh…sorry! Sorry! I thought you typed “link” 🙂

  • 10 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM

    Judge shame he’s not coming now but can get him in Jan anyway, that LB would be amazing and a coup if we pulled it off, Mitro and Gayle out is a blow but Perez gets a shot up top surely so not too bad

    Worried about the lack of links to attackers though unless Sissoko is stopping

  • 11 magscar // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM

    REPOST

    What is ED doing putting up threads at this time!

    magscar // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM

    We have been linked in press with many players but how accurate are those links?

    How many of them have there been this summer – enough for at least 3 squads.

    Truth is we don’t know how many superstars Carr may have identified but not purchased but what we undoubtedly can see is that too many of his recommendations which became purchases were not suitable for PL at all.

    I’ll leave you to make your own lists but we will no doubt come up with similar lists of “failures”.

    I keepon returning to the question why were they even on his list at all. Doesn’t matter if they were 3rd or 10th. They have to be suitable players not just list fillers.

    Even if they were bought purely as ” sell on at a profit” buys as being the determining factor (as some speculate) then surely they need to be capable of being a success at PL to be able to realise a profit.

    Far too many haven’t withhis successes not seemingly having been under the radar of other clubs’ scouts, we just stole a march on them. As others point out come other cheap buys escaped us?

    A man afforded too much power for his abilities ( not his fault) – best working to and under the directon of a better judge who will be instrumental in getting the best out of said players.

  • 12 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM

    Oh and Aarons is injured long term again so no chance there then

  • 13 Ron Knee // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:44 PM

    lesh

    Only six days left!

  • 14 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM

    Magscar, some of the ones we’ve been heavily linked with have also signed. It’s difficult to tell. We know that low-ball bids were placed, though.

    Carr’s options were limited by age and price as well.

  • 15 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM

    Apologies Jib that was uncalled for tbf. If I’d thought about it I would have said Belfast.

    On that link you can tell Benitez would have only settled for a win, but he’s absolutely seething about the cost. I think he hoped we could break through them quickly then settle down with the weakened team so he could approach Brighton with full strength. Ain’t going to happen now. Guess that’s why he gets the big biccies.

  • 16 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM

    https://twitter.com/NUFC/status/768819560191520768?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

  • 17 Spoof // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM

    magscar

    I totally agree mate, I just don’t understand why some are using the Ashley restrictions to defend him when these same people are happy to blame both Pardew and McClaren for the poor quality squad which Rafa inherited, and you are dead right when you say that whether it was first, second, third or even as far down as tenth choice if they weren’t good enough then they shouldn’t have been on the list, and he was the man in charge so he is the one who has to take the flack.

  • 18 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM

    Tsunki

    Just checked. Mbiwa came in after a 2-1 derby defeat to Sunderland in which Dummet partnered WIllo at CB. Alongside Willo, during those appearances we got 0-0 in the cup after 90mins against Man City (eventual 2-0 defeat in extra time), a 2-0 win at home to Chelsea, then that defensive classic 1-0 nabbing away to Spurs.

    Captain Craven and his curls then returned, ousting Mbiwa to RB, we got a 2-1 win against Norwich, then next match he was dropped from RB for Debuchy. We won 2-1 against West Brom, then got stuffed 3-0 by Swansea followed by the infamous win at Old Trafford, Mbiwa coming on in the final stages in the latter 2 matches.

    Safe to say his dropping during that period after contributing to some massive victories was the beginning of the end.

  • 19 magscar // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM

    Laurent

    Agreed but my point is to simply concentrate on those actually signed and subsequently deemed to have failed and ask the question did they belong on his list after sustained scouting? Could their lack of suitibility for PL not have been discerned?

  • 20 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM

    To think we beat Spurs, Chelsea and Man U over the course of a few months, 2 of them away wins, all 3 clean sheets. Under Pardew’s reign no less!

    Such periods Pardew’s reputation is built on, forget the other 95%.

  • 21 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:55 PM

    1 month in fact, early Novemeber to early Decemeber, A real crest of a wave.

  • 22 Ron Knee // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM

    Percy to lose Zaha?

    “Tottenham have submitted a bid in the region of £15m for Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, the player’s representative has told the BBC.”

  • 23 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2016 at 3:58 PM

    Nice link that Jib. I liked the comment about the autograph 🙂 the debacle over funding and local economic problems is blood boiling, especially when you look at the no-expense spared approach to the “main event”. On a side note, I only caught the Channel4 ad for the Paralympics once but I thought it was excellent.

  • 24 magscar // Aug 25, 2016 at 4:01 PM

    Spoof

    It isn’t really any great insight of mine as the facts are there if people care to peruse them.

    I was one who thought initially that Carr was doing great but doubts soon arose.

    I recall posting some time ago that a mate of mine (York City supporter where Carr had been) couldn’t believe we were talking about the same Carr when I was saying what class players he was helping bring in (Cabaye). He thought he was not up to any footballingjob but in discussion relented and conceded that maybe scouting was his level. Perhaps he was right all along.

  • 25 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 4:15 PM

    It would appear that the French media are well up to speed with the Toon fans attitude to Graham Carr.

    http://www.foot01.com/equipe/marseille/om-newcastle-qui-pioche-a-marseille-ce-n-est-pas-fini,220732

  • 26 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 4:27 PM

    robertsleftfoot

    would rather have a squad of happy campers than have him sulking about the place.

  • 27 Our Toon // Aug 25, 2016 at 5:07 PM

    Jail, rotonda

    Jail hit it right on the head on previous thread, the reason we didn’t go for payet over cabella or thauvin etc is because payet is a lot older, think he’s 29 now which means Ashley and his u25 policy or whatever is it would have prevented Carr or the manager at the time from making such a move




previous post: This Is Bad News For Newcastle

next post: Another Long Term Injury For 20 Year-Old