The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Already In Love With Newcastle

10:03 am, Thursday, August 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

While new signing DeAndre Yedlin was on loan at Sunderland last season he lived at Baltic Quay, which is close to the Millennium Bridge, so he could walk over to the quayside and he seems to have gone into Newcastle a lot over the last year and is already in love with the City.

The Seattle-born 23 year-old will at least not have a problem with any rain in Newcastle (there’s plenty of that in Seattle) and he seems very excited to join what he calls a massive club.

DeAndre Yedlin in syands

DeAndre Yedlin – could be a great signing for us

Here’s where Baltic Quay is.

mapp balric quay

Yedlin was news in the news in Seattle yesterday and there was a good piece on him.

It seems the Seattle Sounders had a buy-on clause in the contract with Tottenham he signed after the World Cup two years ago – so they will be getting a decent chunk of change from the deal.

The American full back has signed a five-year deal at Newcastle, and this is what he told  nufcTV yesterday.

“It feels amazing,” “Newcastle is such a big and historic club, and I’m excited to have the honor of playing for them. Hopefully I can do great things here.”

“I definitely heard things about Newcastle, saw things about Newcastle and, funnily enough, when I was at Seattle I played with Obafemi Martins, so he obviously had some stories about Newcastle,”

“He just said playing here was one of his most enjoyable times, and when I went to Sunderland last year I thought about the area, and I could see why.”

“The area is unbelievable up here, and it’s a big reason why I decided to come back up and start with Newcastle.”

“Newcastle is a massive club, and I just thought it was the best decision for me.”

“I lived at Baltic Quay last year, and I had a great time there,” “It’s close to the city of Newcastle, so you could walk in for food at any time and my family loved it when they visited.”

“I know they’re excited about my move back here, so I’m just excited to get started.” “I loved the city when I was up here, so I’m excited to see more of it and experience what it’s like to be a Newcastle player.”

“I like to classify myself as an attacking full back, and I love to get forward,”  “I’m fast so I think I can use that as a strength to get past defenders.”

“Also as a defender, your number one objective is to defend, so it’s a big part of my game that I’ve been working on, and I think I’m improving at that.” (He improved a lot as a defender under Sam Allardyce at Sunderland last season).

“I’m excited to learn under Rafa Benitez as well – he has an amazing resume, and I know he’ll help improve me a lot as well.”

“I think naturally I’m a pretty fit guy, so I don’t think I’ll have too many problems with that.”

“Sharpness comes with games, so obviously the more games I get the sharper I’ll get.”

“I’m just excited to get started.”

DeAndre has been a big hit for the US team since making his debut early in 2014 and US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann rates him highly.

He already has 39 caps for his country.

DeAndre will go into the squad for the important game at home to Brighton on Saturday, but he is not expected to play in that game.

He seems like another great signing by Rafa and we already knew he was a smashing lad.

Tags: DeAndre Yedlin · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Like the idea of this lad, if he improves his defensive work, and with pace to spare he will rip into this league.

• 2 Sazzer // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Interesting article about Fulham’s recruitment. They have recruited well this season.

• 3 cyprus // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Speed eh. We need that. I remember Wenger, in more favourable times, saying he looks for speed and brains. Controlling a ball and all that are givens. (PS. He hasn’t seen some of our players regarding this)

Anyway, speed and brains probably isn’t a way one would currently describe our set up.

• 4 firebug666 // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I think Yedlin and Ritchie will sort out our right side, now we need a LB and LW to compliment them.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM

I wanted this guy after the last World Cup where he performed very well. Now, I would have preferred Trippier, but tho guy clearly isn’t a bad option for us to bring in. Young enough to still have plenty of scope for development, has experience of the Prem and knows the area so should settle reasonably well.

As he says, his primary job is to defend and that is an area that he needs to work on still. Can’t say I tracked his progression or watched him a huge amount under Sam to see how it developed, but as long as he continues to develop under Rafa then he can be a very good signing moving forward for us. His pace is obviously a huge asset and will be crucial to us both going forward and defending.

• 6 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:26 AM

not that any sunderland fan would admit it but it must stick in there throats a bit,that one of there players would rather live in newcastle,eat and socialise in newcastle and then drop down a division and play for us rather then them…..yedlin is’nt the greatest footballer in the world, i’m not saying that and at 23 will make mistakes but seems willing to learn and has potential so hopefully he becomes the finished article.

• 7 cyprus // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Hope so. We also need an extra, deadly CF, I think, if we are to get out of this very hard league.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Oh yes!

• 9 toonincheek // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Starting to think the ‘clearout’ has as much to do with
    different factions in the playing side as much as
    Just hoping Mbemba is on the ‘keep’ list.

• 10 lochinvar // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Mbema is non-negotiable.
    He’s part of the future and gooners/ rumours and others can take a running jump.

• 11 RUNAWAY777 // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Sorry to say lads this team is know where near good enough to go up ive been to the last two games and ive seen nothing to changs my mind at this present time the quality of the players leaving and the players that are comimg in are average except maybe a couple i still think rafa is not the answer seems to just want to sell or ship out on loan hope he proves me wrong time will tell HWTL

• 12 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM

If M’Bemba goes it will be hard to blame him.
    When he decided to join Mitro in his move from Anderlecht the last thing that would have occurred to him was that NUFC could be relegated.
    He was probably the least culpable in the relegation and I guess would jump at the chance to sign for a PL club.

• 13 toonincheek // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Runaway – if you judge players by their past record, I would agree with you.
    Players coming in aren’t the same quality.

But – ATTITUDE and COMMITMENT count for so much and that’s where I’m hoping the new recruits score over those outgoing.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Nowhere even. Wait till over rated Frenchman get on your case. It’s weird as it actually took more effort to spell that wrongly!

• 15 Jib // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Already reported but GC is quite close to sources

• 16 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Definitely keep Mbemba, we’ve already lost a lot of our premier league quality players and can’t afford to lose any more considering the difficulty of attracting top class players to the championship.

• 17 manxpie // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Gets rotonda it’s gets

• 18 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Achraf Lazaar

Like Haller, a name I wasn’t familiar with due to not being as immersed in football as I was in my youth with all the time in the world on my hands.

So, Dennis Wise scouting school it is!

Sign him up! Looks a class above anything we have at LB, particularly with the ball at his feet.

Noticed Rafa seems to be going for a lot of players that move more naturally with the ball to try and conjure some fluency and speed to our attacks.

Diame better brain and execution than stuttering Sissoko who likes to do little tapdances in front of the ball before giving it away or hitting an aimless cross.

Gayle for Cisse, more natural movement, like it’s more instinctive rather than coached, plus doesn’t have the touch of an elephant.

Hayden ahead of Tiote and Colback who take an age to do anything.

Hopefully this guy ahead of Dummet, who is so hesitant and has to stop and trap a ball like a toddler as his only means of controlling a ball, before given advanced notice to the opposition of where he’s going to pass.

Just need it all to come together.

• 19 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Could see Haidara departing if Lazaar comes in.

• 20 RUNAWAY777 // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Toonincheek i hope your rite bro but i was one of them that was not coming back but when bron black and white you cant stay away

• 21 Ron Knee // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Lee Ryder:-

“Newcastle United are in talks to sign Palermo left-back Achraf Lazaar.

And the club are pressing on with plans to bring in another winger and striker before the transfer window closes next week.”

Fingers crossed!

• 22 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM

I’d also like to see Rafa go for a marquee/top player before the window shuts to give this window a little bit of buzz. I understand being in the championship that will be difficult but assuming we sell Sissoko, investing that 35M into 1 class player (fee +wages) would get me very excited for the season ahead. As it stands I feel we’ve probably weakened more than strengthened so it would be good to bring in a talent to replace that of Wijnaldum/Sissoko.

• 23 Sav // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I like Janmaat but looks like Rafa wants no long, twisty faces around the place – that team spirit seems to be a big part of his strategy to get us out of the Championship. It worked for us last time under Hughton, The quality needed for the Prem can be brought in from January if we are at the top. Rafa has spent prudently but clearing the decks was as big a part of the job as recruitment.

• 24 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Very hard to sell the championship slog to top players. I think Rafa is being pragmatic and practical with ”horses for courses.” Unless you’re Wolves, 20M players don’t come to the second tier.

The players we sold are the ones who got us relegated, albeit with extremely poor z lister managers, prior to Rafa’s arrival.

Most of the ones rafa has managed to get rid of were perma crocks, sulkers or inconsistent 1 in 10 good game merchants.

Wijni – disappears away from home
    Janmatt – never rated
    De Jong – perma crock
    M’Babu – gone out for game time
    Krul – gone for recuperation
    Saivet, – never realy shown anything
    Obertan – enough said
    Thauvin – not physical enough
    Marveaux – perma crock
    Townsend only one sad about that has left.

Ritchie – great buy
    Gayle – great buy
    Diame – great buy
    Sels – early days, jury out.
    Gamez – great experience
    Hadyn – could be a gem
    Hanley – not a fan, but great experience
    Clark – not a fan but experienced
    Yedlin – could be good under Rafa’s tutelage.

• 25 Moonraker15 // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Loving the fact that these players that come to Sunderland live and socialise in Newcastle haha that must really p1$$ off the SMBs lol

• 26 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Glad you spotted my deliberate mistake lol… I regretted that the moment I pushed submit!
    I was just preparing him for an attack from over rated Frenchman who put me on the naughty step for putting affect instead of effect! Fair enough, but the one I hate most is people spelling lose as loose!

• 27 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM

does anyone socialise in sunderland

• 28 nut meg // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:22 AM

He’s played more in midfield than full back,maybe he lacks discipline for the LB position as he hangs onto the ball a bit.Should give us a more balanced side if he comes in.

• 29 FollowFollow // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Hail, interesting and I see it now you mention it. Add Janmaat too. Has pace but generally moves and turns slowly. When he goes to take a throw in I imagine he’s thinking about what he’s having for his tea that night.

• 30 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Few mentioning the quality coming in for whats left,but wr have been flirting with relegation for a long time and then we finally went so have to ask was there much quality there to start with?….i think the only real loss has been townsend up to now….but at tr same

• 31 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM

But at the same time its not just down to talent but willingness to be here with the right attitude……excuse the break in comment accidentally hit the submit button half way thru! Lol

• 32 JamesToon // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM

So we now only have 1 fully fit winger and 1 fully fit striker, Gayle and Mitro both out of the brighton game…IF that doesnt give us the kick up the arse to buy a striker and winger….

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM

You never rated Janmaat? I remember when he joined you called him a great signing!

• 34 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:38 AM

I see a lot of freaking out on players that have been signed heres my take on everyone so far:

Gayle – Better than Cisse.
    Richie – Equal with Townsend.
    Diame – More end product than Sissoko and wont go missing away from home .
    Yedlin – Similar to Janmaat but with more pace .
    Clark and Hanley – More suited to the league we are in as Colo and Taylor would not be able to handle the pace or physicality .
    Hayden – Looks a good player who is better on the ball than Tiote or Colback is always available to play as well which is important!
    Sels – Jury still out but then Krul and Elliot are always injured so worth getting a new keeper!

We haven’t replaced Doumbia, Wijnaldum , Obertan , Marveux , Cabella or Thauvin which is a lot of attackers that need replaced so we need more !!

Overall I think the players who have been sold have been replaced pretty well

• 35 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:39 AM

I’d argue Wijnaldum, despite what people think of him is a big loss. 11 goals and 5 assists, he easily contributed the most in a goal sense last season. Yes he was poor at times, but who wasn’t? He got most the stick as he was seen as our best player so when he didn’t perform it was much more noticeable. (largely down to McLaren imo).

Sure if he wanted to leave there wasn’t much we could do but perhaps loaning him out for the season to PL club could have been an option?

• 36 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM

My opinion

Gayle > Cisse
    Ritchie = Townsed
    Diame < Wijnaldum
    Yedlin Colo
    Clark = Taylor
    Hayden < Tiote
    Sels < Krul

No replacements as of yet for
    De Jong, Saivet, Thavuin/Cabella, Obertan/Marveux
    Mind, some of those are on loan but cant see many having a future.

• 37 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM

^ Thats meant to say
    Yedlin Colo

Not sure what happened there

• 38 outside the box // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM

lee charnley …have to agree
    mitro and gayle out for brighton game ….diame cf ???

• 39 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Wont let me say it for some reason…
    Basically Janmaat, better than Yedlin
    Hanley better than Colo

• 40 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I’d go with Armstrong to lead the line if Mitro and Gayle are out. Good chance to see whether he’s ready

• 41 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM

@Outside the box

Is that confirmed that they are both injured?

Thats not good

• 42 loonie-toon // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Black&WhiteBarmy? @BlackWhiteBarmy
    BREAKING: Dwight Gayle & Aleksandar Mitrovic both OUT of Saturdays game vs Brighton following concussion. #nufc ????

• 43 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Gouffran up front then??

• 44 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM

I haven’t said anything about the little spelling indiscretion by firebug666@4. I’m mellowing. Nah, actually I’m just not pissed at the minute so I’m not angry and looking to start trouble…but the night’s still young.

• 45 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Yeah agreed about arma….may as well give him a go….sometimes managers fluke a side or player because of the circumstances forced on them….if he does good luck to the lad.

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 11:58 AM

If both Mitro and Gayle are out, then it leaves us choosing from Perez and Arma as natural forwards, and then playing someone out of position. Both will probably benefit from having a more physical presence to help them, so playing one of the 2 of Diame seems like the most probable route.

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM

*off Diame

• 48 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Perhaps something along the lines of

Gamez – Mbemba – Lascelles – Dummett
    Ritchie – Diame – Hayden – Gouffran

• 49 outside the box // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM

for brighton
    anita memba lascelles dummett
    hayden shelvey
    ritchie diame perez

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Maybe Diame as the main focal point, with Ritchie, Perez and Arma playing in the three behind.

• 51 Termijn // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Lilongwe, Diame up front wouldnt be a bad shout. Don’t see Perez or Arma on the wing though, wont be defensive enough against a quality Brighton side.

• 52 outside the box // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:04 PM

oh forgot about gouffy had a good game on tues
    anita memba lascelles dummet
    hanley shelvey
    ritchie diame goufran

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, Gouffran could come in for either of them to help out in that area. I’d prefer to take the game to Brighton rather than worry about them taking the game to us though, especially at home. We don’t have a large number of options though, unless we revert to Anita playing on a wing.

• 54 jimmysmith // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I’ve been increasing anticipating Mitro for four weeks and for my reward I get neither him nor Gayle. That’s irony I take it.

• 55 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:10 PM

sterry memba lascelles gamez
    hayden shelvey
    ritchie diame perez

• 56 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM

outside the box – assuming you mean Hayden (not Hanley) in midfield I think that’s a very likely scenario.

• 57 msk21dec // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM

That lazaar achraf dribbles like ben arfa lol

• 58 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM

I don’t recall ever having said that,but I’ll take your word on it. Hey if I did, it shows that at least I can change my mind. Some would say fickle, others flexible and open minded. You pays your money. . .

I think based more on NL reaching the semis of the WC, him being the right age etc, I imagined he would be good. Life doesn’t always work out the way you want it to I guess is the moral.

• 59 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:13 PM

that team works for me. not much option really.

• 60 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM

\Outside the box

I think you mean Hyaden beside Shelvey, if so, that’s wat I expect given the news about Gayle and Mitro.

Give Perez a chance to show he is a ST first and foremost. His finish for the 1st against Cheltenham was a sweet strike which he made look easy, always feel if he gets a yard in the box he’s great at taking them them early. Diame just behind allowing Perez to focus on his movement in behind and running the channels.

• 61 msk21dec // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM

If no mitro or gayle and playing away to brighton and not yet completed our transfer business i think we will lose against brighton. If mitro and gayle are not available then the only way we would have chance is is rafa plays sissoko behind ayoze. If no one bids for sissoko i believe he should play one last game vs brighton. Its not like he ever gets injured

• 62 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:17 PM

You did, same with Cabella at the time. You are perfectly free to change opinion. I’ve often questioned the idea that someone is fickle after changing opinion based on further evidence to make a judgement. Just pointing out that when they joined you were happy with the work Carr had done, and pleased they had joined.

It is only since bashing Carr became fashionable that nobody seems to have ever rated some of his buys, when they were almost universally celebrated at the time on here!

• 63 msk21dec // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Anita mbemba lasc dummet.
    Diame hayden.
    Ritchie sissoko gouffran.

No shelvey cos he goes missing away games

• 64 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM

We’re at home.

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM

I was just about to post this but you beat me to it.
    Remember the hysteria on here over Marveaux, now he’s just another “yet another Carr dudd”
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• 66 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Cabella and Thauvin were never universally celebrated. Many could see they fairies wouldn’t cut it.

• 67 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM

• 68 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM

We are at home to Brighton.

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Cabella was widely celebrated on here. Definitely a large majority of people were very happy with him joining. Thauvin wasn’t No arguments on him.

• 70 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, people celebrating he had joined us rather than Liverpool, despite all reports saying Liverpool had pulled the plug due to a failed medical…

• 71 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Taco & Rotonda, you don’t think Gouffran is a more likely starter than Armstrong? And would Sterry and Gamez ahead of Anita and Dummett be down to rotation? Not saying I’m against all that, but I’m more in line with outside the box in his/her prediction.

• 72 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Has Yedlin had a full pre season with Spurs? Has there been any mention of him being drafted straight in, potentially even as a winger given our shortage of offensive options for this weekend?

If he was involved all pre season,then he should be at a good enough fitness level to play.

• 73 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM

I think staff knew the predicament second half against Cheltenham and I think RAFA/staff decided to put Diame upfront to see how he got on.

In my eyes it worked – so me thinks he will play up top with Perez and bring in another midfielder

Goal: Sels cannot see RafA starting with Darlow
    Defence: Yedlin, Lasclles, Mbemba, Clark
    Midfield: Could see us going with: Ritchie, Shelvey or Colback, Hayden, Goufran
    Forwards: Diame, Perez

• 74 hibbitt // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM

looking at the injuries Gouffran could start as CF

• 75 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Cabella was brought in as HBAs replacement, scratching heads abound is my recollection.

Most could see, even if just off highlights reels, that he was worse in every aspect of the game.

Of course, the Football Manager and Fifa circle-jerk brigades bigged him up.

• 76 lochinvar // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Don’t know about you but I’ll be at the home game against Brighton on Saturday

• 77 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Yeah Yedlin played i most of the Spuds pre-season friendlies

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Just had a flick back to Cabella joining threads, it is almost entirely positive posts about him. Granted your name wasn’t on the couple of articles I looked at, but the vast majority were very happy and excited to see him arrive.

• 79 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM

hindsight is one thing but i think most people had grave doubts about these carr imports, given the Z lister managers we had at the time.:-

Aleksandar Mitrovic

10th Mapou Yanga-M’biwa

9th Vurnon Anita (August 2012)

8th Facundo Ferreyra (August 2014)

7th Gabriel Obertan (August 2011)

6th Sylvain Marveaux (June 2011)

5th Emmanuel Riviere (July 2014)

4th Siem de Jong (Jult 2014)

3rd Remy Cabella (July 2014)

2nd Seydou Doumbia (February 2016)

1st Florian Thauvin (August 2015)

• 80 Our Toon // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM

There was a big clamour for cabella on this blog from those that claimed he was like Arfa but worked harder and more consistent. That’s the impression I got, would be interesting to read the comments

I sure janmaat was being championed to be voted for captain on here as well after his first season

• 81 Rotonda heights // Aug 25, 2016 at 12:45 PM

carr has to take some of the blame for the millions forked out on cabella, thauvin and riviere for starters. with the ”functional” managers we had why did he think they would thrive in the PL.

Doubly hard to take when the guy was more or less permanently domiciled in France and seemingly piggy backing on the Mondial agency, when better scouts were recognising the inexpensive talents of mahrez, kante, payet etc from that league.

previous post: Newcastle Make Move For International Left-Back