New Signing Already In Love With Newcastle

While new signing DeAndre Yedlin was on loan at Sunderland last season he lived at Baltic Quay, which is close to the Millennium Bridge, so he could walk over to the quayside and he seems to have gone into Newcastle a lot over the last year and is already in love with the City.

The Seattle-born 23 year-old will at least not have a problem with any rain in Newcastle (there’s plenty of that in Seattle) and he seems very excited to join what he calls a massive club.

DeAndre Yedlin in syands

DeAndre Yedlin – could be a great signing for us

Here’s where Baltic Quay is.

mapp balric quay

Yedlin was news in the news in Seattle yesterday and there was a good piece on him.

It seems the Seattle Sounders had a buy-on clause in the contract with Tottenham he signed after the World Cup two years ago – so they will be getting a decent chunk of change from the deal.

The American full back has signed a five-year deal at Newcastle, and this is what he told  nufcTV yesterday.

“It feels amazing,” “Newcastle is such a big and historic club, and I’m excited to have the honor of playing for them. Hopefully I can do great things here.”

“I definitely heard things about Newcastle, saw things about Newcastle and, funnily enough, when I was at Seattle I played with Obafemi Martins, so he obviously had some stories about Newcastle,”

“He just said playing here was one of his most enjoyable times, and when I went to Sunderland last year I thought about the area, and I could see why.”

“The area is unbelievable up here, and it’s a big reason why I decided to come back up and start with Newcastle.”

“Newcastle is a massive club, and I just thought it was the best decision for me.”

“I lived at Baltic Quay last year, and I had a great time there,” “It’s close to the city of Newcastle, so you could walk in for food at any time and my family loved it when they visited.”

“I know they’re excited about my move back here, so I’m just excited to get started.” “I loved the city when I was up here, so I’m excited to see more of it and experience what it’s like to be a Newcastle player.”

“I like to classify myself as an attacking full back, and I love to get forward,”  “I’m fast so I think I can use that as a strength to get past defenders.”

“Also as a defender, your number one objective is to defend, so it’s a big part of my game that I’ve been working on, and I think I’m improving at that.” (He improved a lot as a defender under Sam Allardyce at Sunderland last season).

“I’m excited to learn under Rafa Benitez as well – he has an amazing resume, and I know he’ll help improve me a lot as well.”

“I think naturally I’m a pretty fit guy, so I don’t think I’ll have too many problems with that.”

“Sharpness comes with games, so obviously the more games I get the sharper I’ll get.”

“I’m just excited to get started.”

DeAndre has been a big hit for the US team since making his debut early in 2014 and US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann rates him highly.

He already has 39 caps for his country.

DeAndre will go into the squad for the important game at home to Brighton on Saturday, but he is not expected to play in that game.

He seems like another great signing by Rafa and we already knew he was a smashing lad.

• firebug666

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Like the idea of this lad, if he improves his defensive work, and with pace to spare he will rip into this league.

• Sazzer

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Interesting article about Fulham’s recruitment. They have recruited well this season.

• cyprus

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Speed eh. We need that. I remember Wenger, in more favourable times, saying he looks for speed and brains. Controlling a ball and all that are givens. (PS. He hasn’t seen some of our players regarding this)

Anyway, speed and brains probably isn’t a way one would currently describe our set up.

• firebug666

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:17 AM

cyprus

I think Yedlin and Ritchie will sort out our right side, now we need a LB and LW to compliment them.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM

I wanted this guy after the last World Cup where he performed very well. Now, I would have preferred Trippier, but tho guy clearly isn’t a bad option for us to bring in. Young enough to still have plenty of scope for development, has experience of the Prem and knows the area so should settle reasonably well.

As he says, his primary job is to defend and that is an area that he needs to work on still. Can’t say I tracked his progression or watched him a huge amount under Sam to see how it developed, but as long as he continues to develop under Rafa then he can be a very good signing moving forward for us. His pace is obviously a huge asset and will be crucial to us both going forward and defending.

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:26 AM

not that any sunderland fan would admit it but it must stick in there throats a bit,that one of there players would rather live in newcastle,eat and socialise in newcastle and then drop down a division and play for us rather then them…..yedlin is’nt the greatest footballer in the world, i’m not saying that and at 23 will make mistakes but seems willing to learn and has potential so hopefully he becomes the finished article.

• cyprus

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Fire
    Hope so. We also need an extra, deadly CF, I think, if we are to get out of this very hard league.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:34 AM

SPRINGY,
    Oh yes!

• toonincheek

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Starting to think the ‘clearout’ has as much to do with
    different factions in the playing side as much as
    quality.
    Just hoping Mbemba is on the ‘keep’ list.

• lochinvar

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Mbema is non-negotiable.
    He’s part of the future and gooners/ rumours and others can take a running jump.

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Sorry to say lads this team is know where near good enough to go up ive been to the last two games and ive seen nothing to changs my mind at this present time the quality of the players leaving and the players that are comimg in are average except maybe a couple i still think rafa is not the answer seems to just want to sell or ship out on loan hope he proves me wrong time will tell HWTL

• Jib

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM

If M’Bemba goes it will be hard to blame him.
    When he decided to join Mitro in his move from Anderlecht the last thing that would have occurred to him was that NUFC could be relegated.
    He was probably the least culpable in the relegation and I guess would jump at the chance to sign for a PL club.

• toonincheek

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Runaway – if you judge players by their past record, I would agree with you.
    Players coming in aren’t the same quality.

But – ATTITUDE and COMMITMENT count for so much and that’s where I’m hoping the new recruits score over those outgoing.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Nowhere even. Wait till over rated Frenchman get on your case. It’s weird as it actually took more effort to spell that wrongly!

• Jib

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Already reported but GC is quite close to sources

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Definitely keep Mbemba, we’ve already lost a lot of our premier league quality players and can’t afford to lose any more considering the difficulty of attracting top class players to the championship.

• manxpie

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Gets rotonda it’s gets

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Achraf Lazaar

Like Haller, a name I wasn’t familiar with due to not being as immersed in football as I was in my youth with all the time in the world on my hands.

So, Dennis Wise scouting school it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqZugwnD4Y

Sign him up! Looks a class above anything we have at LB, particularly with the ball at his feet.

Noticed Rafa seems to be going for a lot of players that move more naturally with the ball to try and conjure some fluency and speed to our attacks.

Diame better brain and execution than stuttering Sissoko who likes to do little tapdances in front of the ball before giving it away or hitting an aimless cross.

Gayle for Cisse, more natural movement, like it’s more instinctive rather than coached, plus doesn’t have the touch of an elephant.

Hayden ahead of Tiote and Colback who take an age to do anything.

Hopefully this guy ahead of Dummet, who is so hesitant and has to stop and trap a ball like a toddler as his only means of controlling a ball, before given advanced notice to the opposition of where he’s going to pass.

Just need it all to come together.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Could see Haidara departing if Lazaar comes in.

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Toonincheek i hope your rite bro but i was one of them that was not coming back but when bron black and white you cant stay away

• Ron Knee

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Lee Ryder:-

“Newcastle United are in talks to sign Palermo left-back Achraf Lazaar.

And the club are pressing on with plans to bring in another winger and striker before the transfer window closes next week.”

Fingers crossed!

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM

I’d also like to see Rafa go for a marquee/top player before the window shuts to give this window a little bit of buzz. I understand being in the championship that will be difficult but assuming we sell Sissoko, investing that 35M into 1 class player (fee +wages) would get me very excited for the season ahead. As it stands I feel we’ve probably weakened more than strengthened so it would be good to bring in a talent to replace that of Wijnaldum/Sissoko.

• Sav

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I like Janmaat but looks like Rafa wants no long, twisty faces around the place – that team spirit seems to be a big part of his strategy to get us out of the Championship. It worked for us last time under Hughton, The quality needed for the Prem can be brought in from January if we are at the top. Rafa has spent prudently but clearing the decks was as big a part of the job as recruitment.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Very hard to sell the championship slog to top players. I think Rafa is being pragmatic and practical with ”horses for courses.” Unless you’re Wolves, 20M players don’t come to the second tier.

The players we sold are the ones who got us relegated, albeit with extremely poor z lister managers, prior to Rafa’s arrival.

Most of the ones rafa has managed to get rid of were perma crocks, sulkers or inconsistent 1 in 10 good game merchants.

OUTGOING

Wijni – disappears away from home
    Janmatt – never rated
    De Jong – perma crock
    M’Babu – gone out for game time
    Krul – gone for recuperation
    Saivet, – never realy shown anything
    Obertan – enough said
    Thauvin – not physical enough
    Marveaux – perma crock
    Townsend only one sad about that has left.

INCOMING

Ritchie – great buy
    Gayle – great buy
    Diame – great buy
    Sels – early days, jury out.
    Gamez – great experience
    Hadyn – could be a gem
    Hanley – not a fan, but great experience
    Clark – not a fan but experienced
    Yedlin – could be good under Rafa’s tutelage.

• Moonraker15

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Loving the fact that these players that come to Sunderland live and socialise in Newcastle haha that must really p1$$ off the SMBs lol

• Rotonda heights

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Manxpie

Glad you spotted my deliberate mistake lol… I regretted that the moment I pushed submit!
    I was just preparing him for an attack from over rated Frenchman who put me on the naughty step for putting affect instead of effect! Fair enough, but the one I hate most is people spelling lose as loose!

• Rotonda heights

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM

moonraker

does anyone socialise in sunderland

• nut meg

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:22 AM

He’s played more in midfield than full back,maybe he lacks discipline for the LB position as he hangs onto the ball a bit.Should give us a more balanced side if he comes in.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Hail, interesting and I see it now you mention it. Add Janmaat too. Has pace but generally moves and turns slowly. When he goes to take a throw in I imagine he’s thinking about what he’s having for his tea that night.

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Few mentioning the quality coming in for whats left,but wr have been flirting with relegation for a long time and then we finally went so have to ask was there much quality there to start with?….i think the only real loss has been townsend up to now….but at tr same

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM

But at the same time its not just down to talent but willingness to be here with the right attitude……excuse the break in comment accidentally hit the submit button half way thru! Lol

• JamesToon

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM

So we now only have 1 fully fit winger and 1 fully fit striker, Gayle and Mitro both out of the brighton game…IF that doesnt give us the kick up the arse to buy a striker and winger….

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Rotonda,
    You never rated Janmaat? I remember when he joined you called him a great signing!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:38 AM

I see a lot of freaking out on players that have been signed heres my take on everyone so far:

Gayle – Better than Cisse.
    Richie – Equal with Townsend.
    Diame – More end product than Sissoko and wont go missing away from home .
    Yedlin – Similar to Janmaat but with more pace .
    Clark and Hanley – More suited to the league we are in as Colo and Taylor would not be able to handle the pace or physicality .
    Hayden – Looks a good player who is better on the ball than Tiote or Colback is always available to play as well which is important!
    Sels – Jury still out but then Krul and Elliot are always injured so worth getting a new keeper!

We haven’t replaced Doumbia, Wijnaldum , Obertan , Marveux , Cabella or Thauvin which is a lot of attackers that need replaced so we need more !!

Overall I think the players who have been sold have been replaced pretty well

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:39 AM

I’d argue Wijnaldum, despite what people think of him is a big loss. 11 goals and 5 assists, he easily contributed the most in a goal sense last season. Yes he was poor at times, but who wasn’t? He got most the stick as he was seen as our best player so when he didn’t perform it was much more noticeable. (largely down to McLaren imo).

Sure if he wanted to leave there wasn’t much we could do but perhaps loaning him out for the season to PL club could have been an option?

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM

My opinion

Gayle > Cisse
    Ritchie = Townsed
    Diame < Wijnaldum
    Yedlin Colo
    Clark = Taylor
    Hayden < Tiote
    Sels < Krul

No replacements as of yet for
    De Jong, Saivet, Thavuin/Cabella, Obertan/Marveux
    Mind, some of those are on loan but cant see many having a future.

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM

^ Thats meant to say
    Yedlin Colo

Not sure what happened there

• outside the box

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM

lee charnley …have to agree
    mitro and gayle out for brighton game ….diame cf ???

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Wont let me say it for some reason…
    Basically Janmaat, better than Yedlin
    Hanley better than Colo

• Termijn

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I’d go with Armstrong to lead the line if Mitro and Gayle are out. Good chance to see whether he’s ready