Newcastle Need To Increase Their Offer To Get Striker Target

Newcastle have been linked for over a week now with 22 year-old Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller.

French newspaper L’Equipe has had a couple of articles out on Newcastle’s interest, although it’s not known whether the 14 times capped French U-21 International striker (9 goals) wants to play in the Championship, although he is keen to play in England.

Sebastien Haller 876

22 year-old Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller

After initially reporting the interest, L’Equipe later reported that Rafa had called the player personally on the phone in an effort to get him to commit to the Tyneside club.

The Newcastle manager is said to rate the young striker highly and L’Equipe has reported more than once that Newcastle’s interest is real.

There was news yesterday in Voetbal International of the Utrecht manager saying that €7M was not enough for the talented young Frenchman.

This is what Utrecht manager Erik ten Hag said in Voetbal International:

“I find €7M for Haller too little.”  “Sebastien is a player for the top.”

So if that is the offer from Newcastle, which is about £6M in today’s exchange rate, then surely we can increase the offer?

The fee should be the easiest thing to get agreement on – it’s getting the lad to commit to Newcastle in the English second division that will be the hard part.

We are not exactly short of money either, having made a £7M profit so far in this transfer window.

What do you think?

• Toonces

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Bobby – I very much want to Arma succeed. The team needs good talent to come through and he seems to have passed all the tests at League 1 and the England U-19/21 whichever he is at. Especially in the championship we need a player with some real class to come out of the academy and into the first team as we can’t count on buying such a player. This new contract is a boost of confidence from Rafa. Looking forward to Arma taking the next steps! Onwards and Upwards!

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:35 PM

atsu’s a funny player in that he’s a right winger but left footed,so maybe rafa is wanting him for the left….strange though,also….whats the latest a striker can sign so he can play saturday….is it noon tomorrow?

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Toonces/Bobby,
    Either of you caught much of the youths this summer and season so far? How is Heaney getting on, I saw he got Golden Boot at the Milk Cup, which is no mean feat. He is the next one down the line that excites me. Ideally, I’d like to see him get a loan out somewhere this season, probably in Jan to the end to see how he progresses. Few months here, then few months on loan.

• Belfast

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Ian, Have you been to West Hams new stadium yet? And did you bring yer binoculars ?

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM

There’s a huge difference between a broken bone and a knackered ligament. Bones heal and are just as robust once the bone heals. The extra growth can actually make it stronger. As long as it’s a clean break it will heal perfectly. A tendon or ligament are different. They’re elastic. If, during the injury, they stretch too far, they may never have that elasticity again. Which is why they recur. They can pin them, but it won’t always help. That’s why they can end a career.
    There was a fine example in the Euro’s. Can’t remember his name, but Ireland had a player who had a double fracture twelve weeks before the Euro’s and still played. Once the bone heals, it’s just a case of getting fit again.

• Our Toon

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Wwsbrd

Atsu failed at both Everton and Bournemouth on loan

• Belfast

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM

The upper deck is about two miles away from the pitch.

• Our Toon

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Still penny pinching after offloading so many players

• cyprus

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Don’t know this guy though it doesn’t mean he’s no good.

But, at 22, is he ready to perform, to lead the front line? When we got Mitro, most were delirious, but now we say it was too much to ask of a young lad.

We need a top CF, in the 15 mil bracket. Will he come to this league? Of course, money talks. Ask some people at NUFC, and other championship teams.

• WWSBRD

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Increase our offer? When did we make an offer?

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Bobby,
    I think you might be thinking of Wales Joe Ledley, who was back in full training just 2 weeks after a hairline fracture early May threatened to rule him out of the Euros. He then came on in their first group match.

Incredible stuff from him, and puts some other players to shame.

• WWSBRD

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Our Toon
    Didn’t even know he was at those clubs tbh

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

bobby
    are you not thinking of wales,former celtic player, now at palace?

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM

thats the one, lilo….could’nt remember his name

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Lil, sadly I’m still recovering from my own injury and have only made the first team home games this season. Hopefully as I get stronger I’ll get to more academy and u23’s games. Thus, I’m unable to help you. I believe Heaney was playing at West Ham to get him a loan deal too.

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Springy, I am indeed. Palace told him to do one. Are we not talking about him? My bad in that case. 😉

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Bobby,
    I’m sure you will be back at the games soon enough. Speedy recovery mate.

We should be looking at upper League 2 or mid league 1 for him I think, but it needs to be a side that plays the game to suit his development. The change in loan rules have made some of these youth loan deals less attractive. In the past you could send players on shorter loans or recall them. New rules means that they can only come back during transfer windows, so loans are half or full season.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Now if we send them on loan and it doesn’t work, the player is stuck there until January. It means we need to be more careful in judging the clubs and managers that we send players to. That is something I’d have faith in Rafa to give due consideration to, and if it isn’t a good fit, then the layer would stay.

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

bobby
    thought he was still there tbh,jedinak was let go but may wrong may be both…..good to see arma getting a new contract,was starting to worry with the lack of chances despite our striker shortage….guess his age is against him for first team chances, but for him in another way to give him time.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM

*player would stay

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Lil, no point sending him to mid division one clubs. He scored 20 last season for Coventry – a team cobbled together from loan deals and end of career players. He needs a lower Championship club or a Division one side pushing for promotion. I’d say lower Championship myself, because he’s already done the biz at Coventry. I see Rafa’s thinking on it, because he’s said he doesn’t want to put too much pressure on a young head by relying on him to get us promoted. Fair enough, although I don’t think he’d let anybody down once he got a run of games. Have to wait and see where ends up.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM

On Haller, I’m with Cyprus. I haven’t seen much of him, and refuse to judge a player via youtube clips, but is he what we need? Yes, a chance he will develop further and grow, but I think we need greater experience rather than another young striker. Someone who has been there, seen it and done it and can help develop the others through that.

We have plenty of young players with potential in Mitro, Arma, Perez and to a lesser extent Gayle. So experience and a bit more nous would be handy to go with a good goalscoring record!

• cyprus

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM

What happened to Sammy ameobi? He’s only like 23_24, he must be good enough for this league. A good player on his day, hard working, hard to take the ball from, could dribble unlike Obertan, and could score as spurs found out.

• Ian Toon

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Belfast- Not since they moved there. I live in east end not far away.-rail link excellent. Seems to be mixed feelings about stadium- older fans largely didn’t want to move and say it is not homely like the Boleyn. Change for the positive for me but then I am not a fan.
    Younger fans and those with kids seem to love it. Seems special travelling there- wide open areas contrast the Boleyn. Looking forward to getting an invite before we play there.

It does seem the pitch is some distance from fans but told atmosphere is good. If they get the financial side right with extra revenue they could really kick on. Underperformed so far but early times in a new dnvironment

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Springy, he is still at Palace, but he was told he could go before the season started. Very hot and cold player, but when he’s hot he’s boiling!

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Bobby,
    I was talking about Heaney there. Arma should be at a Championship club, ir potentially Scottish Prem (club dependant). Top end league 1 would be okay, but it isn’t progression for him. A mid table Championship side would be good, and would potentially help take points off other promotion chasers.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Cyprus,
    Sammi struggled at Cardiff last year in the Championship. If you can get him on a good day he can be effective, but he doesn’t seem to have those days that often!

Bobby/Springy,
    Are you 2 talking about different players? Ledley isn’t hot and cold, but Zaha is. I think Springy is talking about Ledley and his leg break before the Euro’s, whereas Bobby is talking about Zaha following on from the last thread. He was the one told to leave and is very hot and cold….

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I liked Upton Park. Was a great stadium to be in for atmosphere, can’t imagine they will get that back at the Olympic Stadium.

• cyprus

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Maybe I called that one wrong. Thought he had a future, more so than his brother, whom I wasn’t keen on at all.

• lochinvar

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Harry Redknapp has backed West Ham to overtake Manchester United and Liverpool to become the “biggest club in England” after trading the Boleyn Ground for the London Stadium.

What is Harry smoking these days ?
    Stick to cigars Harry

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Afobe how however you spell it isn’t getting a game at Bournemouth might be worth a punt

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Loch,
    They have huge potential, and Bilic has built a decent squad. If they can add a top striker then they could push the big clubs close this season. Not often that you can upgrade your facilities, increase capacity, open up greater opportunities for revenue generating functions all at the expense of the general public.

Biggest club in England? It would take a lifetime to achieve, and it’s unlikely, but there is the potential there.

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM

I was always talking about Zaha at Palace. I’m getting confused myself now. 😉
    Lil, right. Yeah, Heaney could be well suited to a first division side. I think he’s shown enough already to give division two a miss.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Charlie,
    He was apparently our number 1 strike target last Jan, so possible, but I can’t see it happening.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Bobby,
    Springy was talking about Ledley as per my post @11 in reference to the player who broke his leg prior to the Euro’s and recovered.

I thought it all seemed a bit confused!

• Toonces

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Lilo – Sorry. I live in the USA so I just hear about the younger players from others on the blog and a visit to the Chron and other Toon sites..

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Bobby,
    I think for Heaney the important thing is more the manager and the style of play that the club has, rather than the division at this stage. If we can get the right type of management and staff who play the right way in League 1, then great. If those criteria are best met by a league 2 side, then I’d be happy with him going there.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Toonces,
    No worries, just saw you talking about him so thought you might have been a regular there. I miss going to watch the youths play since moving away.

• Bobbybee

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Lil, west ham being gifted that stadium should go before some sort of inquiry. It’s given them a huge financial boost and is surely in breech of some competitions ruling. Everton are equally – if not more – desperate to move, but they’ll have to pay for any new stadium.

• SPRINGY

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:24 PM

dont know if i was in the wrong there haha…got a little confusing….lilo sorted it out!lol