The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Double Deal Proving Difficult For Newcastle

9:24 am, Friday, August 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

One of the many problems Newcastle have to contend with when we make a very poor signing – is that it’s often difficult to move the player out, because we sign them on long contacts and give them huge wages at Newcastle.

We saw that in the past with players like Xisco, who cost us £5.7M from Deportivo and tend to stay the full length of their contract – in Xisco’s case the full five years.

Newcastle have to loan them out to get some other club helping to pay their wages.

Emmanuel Riviere -3

Emmanuel Riviere – a failure at Newcastle

Xisco played only 9 times for us in the five years he was a Newcastle player and scored only one goal, which happened to be in his very first game against Hull City in September, 2008, after Kevin Keegan had left the club.

Not a good signing by the Director of Football Dennis Wise – and he didn’t even tell Kevin he was bringing the Spanish U-21 striker in.

Not good by Dennis in many different ways.

And even in the case of loaning these players out, it’s difficult because of the high wages.

And that’s exactly the situation now with Lorient, who want to take Yoan Gouffran and Emmanuel Riviere on loan – two Frenchmen who have not done well on Tyneside.

Lorient Vice-President Alex Hayes has said this in the French publication Le Telegramme:

“They are not easy deals because these are players who are struggling in England, but at the same time have big salaries.”

Newcastle want Lorient to pick up the wages of the players, but the French club are currently resisting that proposal.

Newcastle should keep Gouffran for the final year of his contract – he can do a job for us this season – but Riviere has turned out to be yet another poor signing by Graham Carr; we paid out £6M to Monaco for him two years ago.

Hopefully, with Rafa now in charge of all football matters at the club, these poor signings will become a thing of the past.

Rafa is also doing something very interesting – he is bringing in players to fix weaknesses in the side.

What a concept that is.

But it’s something we never used to do in the past, as daft as that may seem.

Comments  welcome.

Tags: Emmanuel Riviere · Financials · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yoan Gouffran

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM

• 2 lochinvar // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Xisco played only 9 times in 5 years ?
    What does that say about the guy – surely as a footballer you want to play football or was the money too tempting and he just spent time on the beach.

Dennis Wise should be charged under the Trade Descriptions Act.

• 3 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:32 AM

So is this a football blog again? I was just reading what Jib was saying on another post and it seemed to have become a gardening blog. I was going to ask him what he used when the roses got black-spot on them.

• 4 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:32 AM

From 12one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Jail ,
    I have him marked as far more biodegradable than that .
    He should be sponsored by earth choice .
    Reminds me of one of those Lakeland pencils at school once you dropped it it was knackered from there in .
    Every time you thought you’d just sharpen it another bit dropped off

• 5 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Diame played up front second half when Gayle went off on Tuesday night.
    He was a handful looked a continuous threat all the time he was up front – chased harried got a couple of shots in

I’ve got no problem playing him up front with Perez

My team would be
    Anita, Bemba, Lascalles, Yedelin
    Richie, Colback, Hayden, Shelvey
    Diane, Perez

• 6 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I thinks it’s all things to all
    The other night I got an education on computer software and anti virus ad blockers .
    There was however some good stuff on the merits of 4321 thrown in the mix

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:40 AM

He played nine times for us he played a bit for Deportivo and Racing Santander though.

• 8 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Which beach ?
    Shields or tynemouth ??

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Well my worst nightmare has come true, two delays yesterday have sent all the chopper times to fcuk, might not make the game tomorrow 🙁

• 10 Spoof // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM

You’ve got a holding midfielder at right back, a right back at left back, a holding midfielder at left wing and an unknown lady as a strike partner for Perez, I’m not half pleased that Rafa picks the team and not you lol.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM

21 days on this shitehole and still not been to a game yet!!!

• 12 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM

That was my thinking. I wasn’t at Cheltenham match but at Huddersfield game i felt Diame had been pushed much further forward than I had expected for a midfielder even as a no10. I had assumed it was to help Gayle out (in absence of Mitro) with high balls into box. I

I was reasonablyt happy with his debut because of that thought although some were very muched underwhelmed by him. Still more to come from him.

Totally share your thoughts on Rafa and for one I am happy to acknowledge your perfectly sound reasons for returning to matches despite your views on Regime. I have also returned ( mainy for grandson) and am sat up in the clouds in L7 – much preferred my seat in Gallowgate but beggers can’t be choosers 😉

• 13 Jib // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Charlie that’s a good side – but will Rafa play 4-4-2 ?

• 14 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Blofal // Aug 26, 2016 at 7:46 AM

I too am worried about the squad but I don’t share such a doom and gloom view as expat.

In my view Benitez has gone through the squad and got rid of every player (except Aarons) who is either injury prone or not up for the fight.

De Jong – Replaced with Diame
    Krul – Replaced with Selz
    Saylor – Replaced with Hanley

Wijnaldum –
    Thauvin – Replaced with Ritchie
    Coloccini – Replaced with Clarke
    Janmaat – Replaced with Yedlin and Gamez

Saivet – Replaced with Hayden
    Cisse – Replaced with Gayle

And in addition to that we couldn’t do anything about Townsend.

It’s not easy to replace so many players and I still don’t put it past Charnley to be haggling over pennies and missing our targets.

But looking at that list (and I’m sure I’ve missed a few) I don’t really disagree with any of those decisions.

But from that list you can clearly see we are lacking attacking mids and wingers.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

some sense at last

• 15 SPRINGY // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:50 AM

morning all
    its to easy for people to say we need 5,6, new players,but its not just about this season it s about the years after.
    knockeart for example,does look a good player in this league,so we give brighton 15m,and the 40-50 grand a week on a 4-5 year deal..we go up then he’s not good enough for premier…then we are stuck paying 40-50 grand a week on a player that is of no use after a year and blowing 15m of budget,until we could offload him at no doubt a loss,coz not many champ teams would pay what we could….we have to get players that can do a job now and in the future,we could get a few that we only use for promotion then sell on back to champ teams,but not a squad full,we need patience as its a balancing act of good for now and the future,gamez and diame older on short contracts…they are for now….hayden,ritchie a few others longer contracts with a view to the future…..we will have to strengthen again if we go up….it may take till the next window to get all the players we need for promotion,which the thought of that will no doubt have people brickin it on here.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:50 AM

I want Arma to start.

• 17 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Been watching some Nobby Solano vids again this morning. Great player, great times.

• 18 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Charlie ,
    Would not be surprised at all to see darlow come in for sels
    What I love so far with Rafa is he will drop anyone even the captain if they are not performing .
    But he does it in a way that actually helps a player to give them a break and to step back and look at there game rather than let them loose confidence altogether by being played week in week out when clearly out of form
    Massive change from the previous three ( love that title “the previous three” almost feels like one of those injustice trials only its a bunch you never want to be set free on our streets /dugouts again .

• 19 OneAlanShearer // Aug 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Gamez Mbemba lascelles Dummett

Shelvey colback

Richie diame gouffran

• 20 DubaiMicky // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM

How about Marcus Rashford from Man U for a season’s loan?

• 21 Ron Knee // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM

You’re assuming Gouffran will be available?

• 22 Spoof // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM

I’m guessing that you think it’s Hayden’s turn to be rested !

• 23 gfp13 // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Not 100 percent sure of injuries but a line up of
    Yedlin mbemba lascelles dummett
    Ritchie Anita colback gouffran
    Is probably what I’d go with. Brighton are a good side with a good away record (unbeaten since Feb away I think) so I’d go with people across midfield who work hard as it will be closely contested game and hard work could be decisive

• 24 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:04 AM

On a transfer front, would love to ask Rafa to have look at Keegan Dolly. He probably unknown to you guys but he is the next big coming out of Africa. He play on the left of midfield most but in Rio he played just behind the striker. Can shoot with both feet. He reminds me a bit of a David Silva. I will probably get shot for that comment 🙂

Olympiakos apparently is in looking to trigger his release clause of and full 800 thousand Euros.

This is the best video I found if you guys are interested in having a look.

• 25 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Thanks for that
    Bitter sweet watching it
    Think sometimes what an amazing little player he was due to the fact we had so many class acts then .
    Makes a mockery of those who say this one or that one is not physical enough for the prem .
    I’d lock Perez in a room and make him watch this on repeat ( think clock work orange ) until he pulls his head out his ?rse and has a look at what he can be or could have won …said in a Jim Bowen voice

• 26 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM

The one against Everton with the outside of his foot will be one I never get tired of watching

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

I think McCardew sums up the previous three, each of them a complete no mark rolled in to one.

• 28 SPRINGY // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM

i dont think yedlin will start,sissoko will want to keep himself fit for a move,and with perez a bit battered of the cup game it could be a good op for arma up front,or possibly rivvy,goofy may well of got the nod up front but with aarons out i think he’ll be needed down the left…..but as a surprise…

• 29 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM

One fine, Nobby was brilliant. Crossing, free kicks, skill, technique, vision, awareness. I’d say he was masterful.

• 30 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Mad Serb
    Haven’t even watched the clip yet but I’d sign him for his name alone
    Oh the songs we could sing

• 31 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Add shooting into that as well.

• 32 welshgeordie9 // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Excellent bit of news just come in, Sterry have a signed a 4 year contract.

• 33 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Total football man total football – anyone can play anywhere.
    I like Anita at right back. Put Yedlin in for pace
    midfield is my only dilemma as I would of liked to put Goufran in maybe for Colback

so it would read:
    My team would be
    Anita, Bemba, Lascalles, Yedelin
    Richie, Shelvey, Hayden, Goufran
    Diane, Perez

Anyway hey don’t know why everyones getting worried – yes we could get beat off Brighton but they are no Chelsea Man Utd. et al.

I think our team is capable of beaten anyone on the day as long as they have the right attitude and mentality.

• 34 expatmag // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM

from a couple of threads back.

Rafa used to make a point to SAF about FACTS.

Well, the facts CURRENTLY show that we have sold/loaned/released several players from our squad who probably could have done a decent job in the championship.

We have NOT rrplaced like for like.

We are understrength in several key areas especially in attack.

The current squad would struggle to achieve promotion.

Major MAJOR investment would be required if we were to achieve promotion.

Whilst we have a great manager and a decent coaching staff, this pre season seems to be a replica on others in the past with lies and deceit from management and the usual profit made in transfer dealings to appease a greedy owner. Eafa will be gone by Christmas.

• 35 SPRINGY // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM

mad serb
    does look a decent player on the dennis wise scouting network,sweet left foot and a cannon of shot, for that money might be worth a look at.

• 36 southafricantoon // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Mad Serb – by my name u can guess I’m south African, and yes Keegan dolly is a good player…. I watch him alot in our league

• 37 SPRINGY // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:18 AM

southafricatoon/mad serb
    how old is this lad?

• 38 SPRINGY // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM

welsh if true it looks like sterry has earned rafas approval,good on the lad….really seemed to have stepped up in preseason.

• 39 expatmag // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM

LR @17

You would have to say Nobby was one of the best in our history. What a great player.

• 40 one fine day // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Mad Serb
    Looks a very decent player
    Reminds me of abdulrahman u.e.a.( lots of him also on the Denis wise scouting network) In the way he is always looking to attack from anywhere .
    Be interested to see what LILO thinks of him .

• 41 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM

23 years old. He captained the Olympic squad and he dominated the midfield and was one of the standout players in the Olympics.

He has a bit of everything to him, but apart from that left foot of his is the time on the ball that stands out for me. Always seems have time which is always one of those key things between the decent and the good players.

• 42 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Watson-Albert-Howie-Jose Enrique
    Nobby —–Beardsley—Ginola
    ———-Big Al

Imagine rafa playing his 4231 with those past players.

• 43 hibbitt // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Rafa obviously doesn’t think “that probably could have done a decent job in the championship” is good enough
    who are these world beaters we should of kept ?
    remembering we had no choice with Townsend

previous post: Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare Against Brighton?

next post: Three Positions Rafa Must Still Strengthen In August